HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL in Wisconsin

Old
01-04-2013, 09:33 PM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
It will take time to build a true fan base. There will be the people that support them right away, but like Ottawa in may take a generation or so to get some big fan numbers going. Ottawa is still 50% Leafs 33% Habs territory. But they are inching forward.
That's true I honestly wouldn't even give them 50% but at least in Ottawa people will go to games just for the sake of watching hockey. Regardless I'm willing to bet it would do better than some of our current markets.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
NickWIHockey

whike the wisconsin franchise will probably be at best a mid-market team, it likely wont lose 30-40 milion like phoenix has been doing. you have 3 potential rivals in the wild blackhawks and redwings, and at this point an nhl team cant do worse than the Bucks..

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
NorthStar

I would love to see Milwaukee in the NHL.. but as what?? expansion team or relocated team?? Who would the relocated team be?? and what the team name might be? I would be very interested to see how it pans out.. Milwaukee would have excellent rivalies with Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit.. and who knows if a Milwaukee-Winnipeg rivaly would be something?

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
For the foreseeable future (5+ years), it's Phoenix or bust for people that want relocation teams. Florida, St. Louis, Nashville, and Dallas are aren't moving, the Isles are moving to Brooklyn, and Columbus just got an arena financing deal that'll hopefully help their bottom line.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
NickWIHockey

absent another thrashers situation, where the ownership doesnt give a hoot and wants out, the more likely scenario for milwaukee is expansion. as for what to call them, beersteins, lagers, beavers, elk, who knows. you could have a naming contest, and the winning fan could get a new car or something.

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I'm not sure that it's feasible from an administrative standpoint, but I would love to see this team branded 'Wisconsin' with a split home schedule between Milwaukee and Madison 31/10 or 35/6.

Clearly there are other markets that make more sense at the moment. However, in 10-12 years with the Bucks possibly on their way out and plans for a new arena, I think this would be a great option for an NHL ownership group.

In the meantime, I hope you Sconnie hockey fans are siding up with Suter and the Wild. I get the sense that that the Wild have a little bit of traction in western WI that I know the Twolves, Vikings, and Twins are not getting. It would be great to see Wild territory expand in to the Madison hockey community.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Preds are still my #1 but since FS Wisconsin broadcasts Wild games, I watch and like them too.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Let us not forget Madison has a helluva college hockey team (more often than not)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
UnrefinedCrude

In a gate driven league they probably couldn't survive all those oversized seats cutting ticket revenue in half.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
Houston will just be another hot weather non-passionate fan base, i dont think that would be a good idea

Seattle, they may have a good following.

Quebec City, i dont much about. But just by being in Canada it will probably do well.
Houston is the fourth largest market in America and has had the Aeros there for quite some time. It's not just another hot weather non-passionate fan base. There is a well-established history of hockey there.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Not in the near future. Seattle and QC are at the top of the food chain.

In the next 20-30 years, maybe, that state should be more proactive in developing hockey rinks. Not just because you're a big market.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
In a gate driven league they probably couldn't survive all those oversized seats cutting ticket revenue in half.
Ahahaha, I get it, it's a fat joke. Even though it's not even close to being true.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Ahahaha, I get it, it's a fat joke. Even though it's not even close to being true.
Wow Miami? really? TV lies to me, who would ever have thought that?

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
I'd support moving Phoenix to WI.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Not in the near future. Seattle and QC are at the top of the food chain.

In the next 20-30 years, maybe, that state should be more proactive in developing hockey rinks. Not just because you're a big market.

We're actually known for being among the smaller markets in professional sports, part of the reason why the Bucks struggle to gain any traction

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I think he was talking about Houston.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
Hey everyone, im new to "HF boards". I just wanted to see what you guys think about Wisconsin getting an NHL team. I know you guys all have your favorite team but just for the league it would be a great state to tap into. I obviously am from WI, but Why do we have a NBA team and not a hockey team dont forget we have a football stadiam here we call the frozen tundra! Let me know what you guys think, dumb idea, great idea, ect....
you also have a baseball team--why not a football team

Milwalkee can support one pro season at a time

Summer time its the Brewers and in the winter time it is the Bucks

There is only so much avaiable money to go around

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
If Milwaukee wants a team, they should show the potential by supporting their AHL team, the Admirals. In a lockout, when many young players get sent down to the minors, Milwaukee averages 4,401 for home games, while the league average is 5,387 - to me that doesn't speak well for any potential NHL hockey in Wisconsin.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance
Just looking at these figures, looks like the Houston Aeros do pretty good, 6,700 average. I've heard murmurs that they would be in contention for a team one day, anybody have any thoughts or expertise on Houston as an NHL hockey market one day?

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:41 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Just looking at these figures, looks like the Houston Aeros do pretty good, 6,700 average. I've heard murmurs that they would be in contention for a team one day, anybody have any thoughts or expertise on Houston as an NHL hockey market one day?
They have essentially everything except a willing owner, so they're sort of in the same boat as Kansas City except Houston's significantly larger and has more potential corporate support.

Les Alexander almost bought the Oilers and moved them to Houston back in the day, and has long been rumored as interested in getting a team, but the recession hit him hard. He's still very wealthy, a hundred millionaire, but not the billionaire he used to be, so in all likelihood he probably isn't interested in dropping a large amount of cash on a expansion or relocation team right now.

If the NHL announced a multiyear expansion review process though, that'd assuredly give time for a consortium of local businessmen to band together to form an ownership group, and from that they'd probably be one of the leading contenders for a team.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
you also have a baseball team--why not a football team

Milwalkee can support one pro season at a time

Summer time its the Brewers and in the winter time it is the Bucks

There is only so much avaiable money to go around
The football team supported in Milwaukee is primarily the Packers, as up until 1994, the Packers used to play some home games in County Stadium as well. For an NHL team to do well, they have to be marketed as a team that represents the state of Wisconsin, not just the city of Milwaukee. It's the main reason the Brewers and Packers are well supported and the Bucks are....well.....not. You know it's bad for the Bucks when you share an arena with a college basketball team, and that college basketball team outdraws you.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
For the foreseeable future (5+ years), it's Phoenix or bust for people that want relocation teams. Florida, St. Louis, Nashville, and Dallas are aren't moving, the Isles are moving to Brooklyn, and Columbus just got an arena financing deal that'll hopefully help their bottom line.
Wasn't there some sort of hubbub a couple months ago with the Oilers owner having a falling out over the city about a new arena, and then went off to "scout" Seattle?

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:18 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Why?

You ever been to Milwaukee?

Hockey has no pulse or influence there
Correct. For whatever reason Wisconsin isn't as hockey crazed as Michigan and Minnesota.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Correct. For whatever reason Wisconsin isn't as hockey crazed as Michigan and Minnesota.
Could certainly do better than some other markets the NHL has tried/are trying. Many people I know are confused as to why we don't have an NHL team. Yeah, the general Wisconsinite isn't as hockey crazed as Minnesota or Michigan, but we do have some decent hockey heritage.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Reign Nateo

If there was money to be made, they'd be there already. Passion and attendance is great, but you need corporate sponsorship and TV packages.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
remember the adage, if it's not broke, don't fix it..... the Aeros were potentially considered back in 1979, instead it was NE(Hartford), Quebec, Alberta/Edmonton & the original Jets that were grandfathered when the WHA collapsed....

Houston and the Aeros have been synomimous, and with them now being operated by the Wild, it's unlikely that relationship and Les Alexander's tenure as landlord won't change.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote