HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL in Wisconsin

Old
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Canada4Gold

vCash: 500
Green Bay Slackers has a nice ring to it

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

My friend who goes to Marquette likes to joke that there's already an NHL team in Milwaukee and they're called the Chicago Blackhawks.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathcat View Post
Wasn't there some sort of hubbub a couple months ago with the Oilers owner having a falling out over the city about a new arena, and then went off to "scout" Seattle?
It's almost assuredly much ado about nothing. They tried to strong arm the city into giving more funding for an arena, and it utterly blew up in his face and is likely going to cost him money in the long run.

An arena deal will eventually happen, the Oilers will stay in Edmonton, and that's about it.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
They have done extensive studies on Milwaukee, even giving them an option when the two Florida teams came in and the ownership group that would have been in place found the market was not viable. The Bucks moving could have a huge change on that and I do believe that day is coming. The owner would have to fix up the Bradley Center. But if they are going to have one winter sport team in town I do think the NHL would do slightly better than the NBA. The real question is whether it would do well enough to be in better shape? That is hard to know and a risky undertaking for the NHL. The are not coming though until the Bucks are gone and none of the other markets can support a team, even Madison which is too focused on the Badgers to allow that to happen.

Another slight problem is that while hockey is very popular in just about every part of Wisconsin, its weakest part is the southeast part of the state. Now I would expect an uptick if this was to take place, but until the Bucks move to Seattle it is unlikely to happen. Even there the NHL would want to target Seattle as well with that big new building. I think Seattle can actually support both sports so we will see if both leagues go ahead and share the building. It would be interesting and I know a lot of people in Canada would hate to see it but a competition of Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Omaha (one of my personal favorites for putting in a team) and Seattle for two expansion teams would allow Columbus and Detroit rightfully into their eastern time zone desires when realignment takes place. Of course no Toronto 2 or Quebec City will anger everyone.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacManNJD View Post
My friend who goes to Marquette likes to joke that there's already an NHL team in Milwaukee and they're called the Chicago Blackhawks.
That would be the 30% of students that are from Illinois. As someone that also attended Marquette, I can tell you the rest of the student body hates everything to do with those Chicago based teams. Wisconsin people don't like anything Illinois all that much. They hate the Cubs, Bears and would love nothing more than to have a team to start hating the Blackhawks to the level their AHL fans hate the Chicago Wolves.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That would be the 30% of students that are from Illinois. As someone that also attended Marquette, I can tell you the rest of the student body hates everything to do with those Chicago based teams. Wisconsin people don't like anything Illinois all that much. They hate the Cubs, Bears and would love nothing more than to have a team to start hating the Blackhawks to the level their AHL fans hate the Chicago Wolves.
THIS (also attended Marquette)

If they're a Hawks fan, they're likely a Chicago transplant. If any team is supported from people from Wisconsin, it's likely the Red Wings/Wild, though i've met a surprising amount of Flyers and even Rangers fans here. Not to mention Sharks fans (though that is likely due to Pavelski)

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky99 View Post
I would love to see Milwaukee in the NHL.. but as what?? expansion team or relocated team?? Who would the relocated team be?? and what the team name might be? I would be very interested to see how it pans out.. Milwaukee would have excellent rivalies with Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit.. and who knows if a Milwaukee-Winnipeg rivaly would be something?
Take those bums from just north of Vermont, there. I forget what they`re calling themselves these days...buncha maroons, anyhow. Send `em to Wisconsin!

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
If they can try the NHL in places like Phoenix and Florida, why the hell couldn't they do it in Wisconsin where Hockey is actually appreciated? I would love to see a team there. Think of the rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin
Yeah I thought most people from Wisconsin would love hockey, but I went to a WELS High School here in SoCal (Wisconsin Lutheran Synod, I'm not Lutheran btw) and like almost all the teachers came from Wisconsin and most of the students were either from Wisconsin or had ties there and I was pretty much the only hockey fan at the school. They all sure did love the Packers though.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote