HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I think people also fail to take into account the location of fans.
I'm sure there are many people here on the Oiler board who see very few games from eastern teams and can't fairly judge players from the other conference.
It's worse in the east, where I think even more eastern fans don't see many games for teams in the west. Even if they have centre ice or something, how late the games can start out west make a difference, too.
I think it's common for all of us to make judgements on players from the limited amount we see. This is probably happening with hall. all people hear about are the injuries and only perhaps see one or two games of his in a season.
when Hall is being compared to Tavares, for example, how many of you actually see enough games of Tavares to fairly judge?
What??? We get lots of eastern conference games on tv. TSN has their Wednesday night hockey showing teams usually in the east. CBCs first game on Sat is usually matchup of eastern teams. Then on Sunday NBC usually only shows matchup of eastern teams.

Now your comment about not seeing Isles is sort of true as they don't usually show crappy teams on tv but we still catch him against the Oil and when Tor, Mtl an Ott play Tavares since he has huge following in Canada. I agree that in the east they may not catch western teams due to what you stated about start times etc.

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Can you guys read? I said his style, the way he plays. There is no question that Crosby is on a whole other level but if I could pick one player in the NHL who plays a similar style to Crosby I'd say it's Tavares.
I don't see it...I respect your opinion, but,....I don't see any likeness in style.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
I don't see it...I respect your opinion, but,....I don't see any likeness in style.
haha fair enough

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
The Big Unit

Funny how this turned from a thread on Taylor Hall to a thread on Tavares. Having said that, Hall is underrated by other fans for now. That's going to change sooner rather than later imo.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
There's a large number of Oiler fans on HF and we've been a basement team for a few years now. Because of the large number of our posters bringing up the names of our young talent, we are the target of a lot of hate. If the Oilers and CBJ traded teams, I suspect that we would see a lot less negativity towards Yakupov, Nuge, Hemsky, Schultz, and Hall. Fortunately with this much talent, there's no chance in hell we will spend much time at the bottom of the standings, giving us some ammunition to fire back at guys the many regular Oiler bashers. We've all been waiting a long time for it.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Asher

He needs to do his thing in the playoffs. Then the "underappreciation" will stop.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
HallOfGreatness4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
He needs to do his thing in the playoffs. Then the "underappreciation" will stop.
My goodness I can't wait to see what he can do in the playoffs.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
There's a large number of Oiler fans on HF and we've been a basement team for a few years now. Because of the large number of our posters bringing up the names of our young talent, we are the target of a lot of hate. If the Oilers and CBJ traded teams, I suspect that we would see a lot less negativity towards Yakupov, Nuge, Hemsky, Schultz, and Hall. Fortunately with this much talent, there's no chance in hell we will spend much time at the bottom of the standings, giving us some ammunition to fire back at guys the many regular Oiler bashers. We've all been waiting a long time for it.
I think most of the hating this year is stemming from the couple Oiler posters continuously bragging about last years early success, it doesn't help that a lot of Oilers fans were already claiming the Barons Calder Cup champions before this year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Him and Eberle will be great to watch if they ever get into the playoffs. Board would explode if Eberle pulls off anymore clutch moments.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Just look at how HF ranks Hall vs Eberle and compare that to this forum.

I think a lot of HF doesn't really watch too much of Western Conference hockey and so just goes off of points and highlights. If Hall can make an impact on the top scorers list and/or the Oilers go deep in the playoffs, he should get the recognition he deserves.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Hey all, like the rest of us Oiler faithful I have been extremely pleased with the play of all our young talent this season. I mean what's not to like with the likes of Schultz, RNH, Eberle, Hartikainen, Dubnyk, and the prospects Yakupov and Klefbom playing so well.

However I think one person has stood out especially over the last month, that player to me is Taylor Hall.

He is top 5 in AHL scoring after missing the entire first month of hockey and prior to that missing the end of the Oilers season as well. Not only has he shaken off all the rust but he has recovered extremely well from his shoulder surgery. (something i think we were all nervous for) over the last few games some of the media has claimed Taylor Hall has never been better, I'll take that not even 1/2 a season post shoulder surgery.

I know every fan on this board (other than a select few) see on a nightly basis what Hall brings to our team and the leadership and example he offers. It pains me to see fans of other teams consistently rate Hall as a 2nd tier first overall pick, and a lesser player than many that he doesn't deserve to be ranked behind. I know in the end it doesn't matter what other fans think, all I want is a little bit of appreciation for the future captain, and driving force behind this team.

Does anyone agree? Have you seen the hate for Hall? Why is he so hated? What do you think it will take for Hall to overcome this label?
Not mad at all. HF is filled with haters. They want the Oilers to suck, and well, they do suck.

He really can't overcome the label. I think he'll get hated even more if the team starts winning. That's the nature of this site. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
0ilerman
The King

Is Hall really the future captain? If nothing else, the WJC showed me that RNH is captain material for an NHL team. I understand Canada was unsuccessful, but RNH's on-ice play epitomized what a captain should be. He scored big goals, played important minutes, and made every single line mate look better than they were without him. RNH played physical, stood up for teammates, and was consistently the best player on the ice.

I understand this thread is about Taylor hall - whom I am an enormous fan of, but I don't think he's the future captain of this team. He's a crucial piece, and will certainly be a leader for years, but hes not the guy that leads this team to a Cup. To me, it's Nuge.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
Two mem cups

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Two mem cups
In the OHL... on a stacked team. Do that in the NHL, and i'm praying he doesn't get injured mid playoffs.
I'll agree with Nuge on captain.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Sacul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Two mem cups + MVP in back-to-back years.
Fixed that for you

Sacul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
In the OHL... on a stacked team. Do that in the NHL, and i'm praying he doesn't get injured mid playoffs.
His team was from the OHL yeah. The tournament itself is a CHL tournament in which he collected two MVP trophies...He was the best player on a "stacked" team that won the national championship in consecutive years. That might be saying something. Regardless I don't see how you can try and use this as some sort of disadvantage. He got injured in the second cup and then without missing a shift came out and scored a highlit reel goal, you recall?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:00 AM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
I absolutely agree, that's one reason we don't post our numbers of members and threads on the main page. Being constantly bombarded by Oiler fans opinions people are more likely to feel the need to overcompensate in their analysis to make up for the perceived imbalance.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:09 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

After a couple more seasons people will realize how good Hall is. Especially once he gets to romp in the playoffs.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Just look at how HF ranks Hall vs Eberle and compare that to this forum.

I think a lot of HF doesn't really watch too much of Western Conference hockey and so just goes off of points and highlights. If Hall can make an impact on the top scorers list and/or the Oilers go deep in the playoffs, he should get the recognition he deserves.
right now he's over rated and people get sick of hearing from Hf oil fans.

he really hasn't done anything yet to get the respect as a great player. you've actually nailed it by saying "IF Hall can make an impact on the scorers list and/or the Oilers go deep in the payoffs"
up until now he hasn't done that.

also his two memorial cups really mean nothing when it comes down to how he has performed in the NHL.
and do you guys really expect the rest of the people on the board to get off on Hall's "intangables"? intangables are a very subjective thing, and you can't expect people who watch Hall only a couple of times a year to see his no scoring assets.

I hope the Oilers have a kick butt year, and Hall does well and also stays healthy. but you can't say he's getting unwarrented hate or is under appreciated by the rest of the hockey world when he's done nothing as of yet in the NHL to deserve the recognition.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Hall and Yakupov are easily the most undervalued on this site.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
I think it says a lot when on a stacked team, with all those future NHLers, Hall was their best player and the guy that everyone looked to when the game was on the line.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

His value is tougher to measure by statistics because a lot of what he accomplishes is by virtue of his speed and style of play. He literally opens up so much space for RNH and Eberle at even strength. I still don't see him being as offensively gifted as those 2, by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, Oiler fans vastly over-rate this guy on the main board. He's not the offensive superstar at the RNH/Ebs/Seguin level, and we shouldn't describe him as such. What he is is a balance-shifting skater and "power" winger, who leaves defensive players no choice but to check him and be cognizant of his presence. Above average toolbox - but definitely no offensive juggernaut.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

the impact taylor hall can have first was shown in his rookie season vs atlanta. the oilers were down and Hall went buck, he was the best player on the ice on either team by a significant amount and ended up with a hat rick and an oilers win. he completely dominated the game. as he gets more exeperience we will see this more and more until there is no debate.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I would argue that Hall is an offensive juggernaut based on his goal scoring ability. 22 and 27 goals in about 60 games each first 2 seasons. Those numbers would have been 30 and 35-40 at the pace he was on each time he went down.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
His value is tougher to measure by statistics because a lot of what he accomplishes is by virtue of his speed and style of play. He literally opens up so much space for RNH and Eberle at even strength. I still don't see him being as offensively gifted as those 2, by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, Oiler fans vastly over-rate this guy on the main board. He's not the offensive superstar at the RNH/Ebs/Seguin level, and we shouldn't describe him as such. What he is is a balance-shifting skater and "power" winger, who leaves defensive players no choice but to check him and be cognizant of his presence. Above average toolbox - but definitely no offensive juggernaut.
I think you're underrating him. He played at a 45 goal/80 point pace from mid November until his season ended as 20 year old sophomore.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Is Hall really the future captain? If nothing else, the WJC showed me that RNH is captain material for an NHL team. I understand Canada was unsuccessful, but RNH's on-ice play epitomized what a captain should be. He scored big goals, played important minutes, and made every single line mate look better than they were without him. RNH played physical, stood up for teammates, and was consistently the best player on the ice.

I understand this thread is about Taylor hall - whom I am an enormous fan of, but I don't think he's the future captain of this team. He's a crucial piece, and will certainly be a leader for years, but hes not the guy that leads this team to a Cup. To me, it's Nuge.
Just a quick note, RNH did take that horrendous boarding penalty when there was no need for it at all. Yes he was the best player for Canada, however he made a couple of decisions that are unbecoming of a captain. Not saying that he won't be captain material, he will be, but to use this year's WJC as an example is probably not the strongest argument.

Back to Hall: I fully expect that once he finishes filling out, he will be the 40g per year, bull in a china shop, lead by example player. However I still think Eberle epitomizes a captain - cerebral and composed.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote