HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

Old
01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
DethOfDragnz

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
From what I have noticed most non Oilers fan on this board they seem to have a positive opinion of Hall. The question alot of them have is if he is injury prone. He has suffered a number of injuries and he takes many risks on the ice and that has cost him. We have seen many great hockey players careers cut short due to injury and some people worry this is what will happen with Hall. I think that is a fair criticism/complaint. Most people have said that they think he is really talented and they wish he was on their team so I have not seen very much negativity toward him.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Not mad at all. HF is filled with haters. They want the Oilers to suck, and well, they do suck.

He really can't overcome the label. I think he'll get hated even more if the team starts winning. That's the nature of this site. lol.
Not just the nature of this site. This type of thing has been happening for many years, especially in Canada.

There are the original 6 Leafs and Habs fans from days gone by, long before the interwebs, that would cause family feuds. I'm speaking from experiencing this myself.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Overrated because Hall didn't progress from one year to the next in terms of reading defences.

He can't just go FULL SPEED into defenders like he did as a junior. Hopefully he's learned his lesson this season and actually tries to change his acceleration and use his brain.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Overrated because Hall didn't progress from one year to the next in terms of reading defences.
Last year Hall started slowing down coming into the zone looking for teammates to help and in general did not just try to run through defenders. It was a very noticeable improvement. His offensive jump would kinda look like he got better at reading the D.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I would argue that Hall is an offensive juggernaut based on his goal scoring ability. 22 and 27 goals in about 60 games each first 2 seasons. Those numbers would have been 30 and 35-40 at the pace he was on each time he went down.
this is a reason why Hall is overrated right now. when you have to pull out the arguments about his ppg average or his prorated stats.
his game and point totals are what they are. Doesn't matter what he might have achieved if he didn't get hurt and was able to play. you have to go with the facts.

This season will be a bit of a litmus test. I'd like to see Hall play at least 45 games, be near a ppg, and show some of that "Messier style" for the entire season. Then I'll agree he is coming into his own and deserves more notice around the league. But for now, his lack of love on the rest of the board is justified.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
this is a reason why Hall is overrated right now. when you have to pull out the arguments about his ppg average or his prorated stats.
his game and point totals are what they are. Doesn't matter what he might have achieved if he didn't get hurt and was able to play. you have to go with the facts.

This season will be a bit of a litmus test. I'd like to see Hall play at least 45 games, be near a ppg, and show some of that "Messier style" for the entire season. Then I'll agree he is coming into his own and deserves more notice around the league. But for now, his lack of love on the rest of the board is justified.
OK here's a fact: he was 43rd in the league in goals scored and how old is he? This is not prorating anything btw. The only guy who had a shortened season like Hall was Toews.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Sure Hall is underrated but far from the most under appreciated.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
MeestaDeteta

He hasn't proven himself yet. Hopefully this will be the year.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
His value is tougher to measure by statistics because a lot of what he accomplishes is by virtue of his speed and style of play. He literally opens up so much space for RNH and Eberle at even strength. I still don't see him being as offensively gifted as those 2, by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, Oiler fans vastly over-rate this guy on the main board. He's not the offensive superstar at the RNH/Ebs/Seguin level, and we shouldn't describe him as such. What he is is a balance-shifting skater and "power" winger, who leaves defensive players no choice but to check him and be cognizant of his presence. Above average toolbox - but definitely no offensive juggernaut.
It's one thing to say he's not yet on Eberle's level, but to say he's not at least on Seguin's level is ridiculous. He has more career goals, more career points, a higher PPG both years (and drastically higher career PPG) and drastically more hits

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:05 PM
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
this is why people rag on hall, hate Oiler fans and hate how Oiler fans pump the tires of the young players.
your hyperbole is very embarassing. your only correct comment is Yakupov hasn't proven himself on the NHL level.

hall is a machine. if he was a machine he would have played more than 60 games a year already. and RNH is gretzky jr?

even Eberle. I think he's the real deal and going to be a huge star. but to be realistic, he does have to play as good as last season more than once before he will begin to get his due.

I really hope you just forgot to use a
Yep. Everyone on HF hates Hall because of all the loud-mouth Oiler fans over hyping every single player and every single prospect before anyone has proven anything. Individuals have not proven anything particularly incredible, and the team hasn't proven s***.

Now, if we're talking POTENTIAL, our team is stacked... Incredibly. But guess what? Potential doesn't give you the right to trash talk. At all. So stop embarrassing the rest of us Oil fans please. We've already been dubbed the next Vancouver of HF.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
Yep. Everyone on HF hates Hall because of all the loud-mouth Oiler fans over hyping every single player and every single prospect before anyone has proven anything. Individuals have not proven anything particularly incredible, and the team hasn't proven s***.

Now, if we're talking POTENTIAL, our team is stacked... Incredibly. But guess what? Potential doesn't give you the right to trash talk. At all. So stop embarrassing the rest of us Oil fans please. We've already been dubbed the next Vancouver of HF.
i've been saying the exact same thing. we deserve to have hall crapped on because we keep rubbing him in peoples faces. its one thing to defend him, its another to overrate him, and thats what we've been doing as a fanbase. we gotta watch that ****. I dont wanna get the same crappy reputation the Canucks have

Psychoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Master Lok

bah, who cares what other fans think?

Hall will gain in reputation when he's earned other players respect.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
underrated some guys saying baertchi is better then hall and doesn't get called out in fact got agreed with by a few ppl. he was playing at .87ish ppg last yr with a noticeable injury at times hes a driving force on this teams offence yet loses in a contest to guy whose had a worse career and last season (seguin)

also intangibles on hall get underrated something every other player at his level gets lauded for having

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
BadMedicine*

Taylor Hall is just beginning to define himself as an NHL hockey player,he has taken large steps in redefining his on-ice perspective and is using the entire ice surface now,more east to west lateral movement and more crisp passes.This has allowed him to put up some tremendous shot numbers and some above average point totals.

Taylor last year had already started to modify his game because of his shoulder injury prior to his seeking remedial treatment.So the facts seem to point to his learning that he could function at a high level of play when he was winged with an injury and after his operation when his strength returned he decided to refocus himself and retain many of the tendancies he learned while injured,more of an east to west lateral bursting speed type of game as opposed to the full-on rush repeatedly.

If Taylor can manage to keep his shot numbers high as he was doing in the AHL then he will evolve into a more balanced producer--the fact is with an elite player like Hall is your passes are usually high percentage from excellent areas hence the seemingly impossible result of more assists from shooting more.The point is that Taylor always seeks shooting lanes and pressures the play so shooting more is a plus for him--just not off the straight on rush--if he is shooting from a lateral perspective and making high percentage passes from that movement then he will see his numbers steadily climb.I believe Taylor Hall is a much more valuable player than Seguin is and will retain this edge for his entire career,Taylor can energise a team and gives 100% every shift and is poised to adjust his game into a more balanced scoring style.This adjustment will push Hall into the elite ppg+ category.My gut says he will fit in perfectly with Yakupov for some reason.That like Mess and Wayne --Hall and RNH need their own sleds to pull.
???MPS-RNH-Eberle
???Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

Moma2 says good luck Taylor Hall,and Go For the Cup Oilers!!!

Last edited by BadMedicine*: 01-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.
BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That being said, Oiler fans vastly over-rate this guy on the main board. He's not the offensive superstar at the RNH/Ebs/Seguin level, and we shouldn't describe him as such.
Yet he scores more goals and has a better PPG than Seguin on a worse team.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Up the Irons

in the San Jose game, last night, Hall was an absolute beast. He played like a man possessed.

that was the best game the I've seen him play. He could be Jonathan Toews material.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Wheatking

Going back to last season...Hall has 26 goals and 51 points in his last 50 games. That's a 43 goal/84 point pace.

Not to hijack the thread but just to make the comparison. Seguin has 13 goals/32 points in his last 50 regular season games. Which is a 21 goal/53 point pace. Which further proves my theory that Seguin's stats were greatly inflated by a 9 game hot streak where he had 10 goals and 15 points. It was by far the best hockey of his NHL career and he never came remotely close to repeating it. On a night to night basis, Hall is the much better offensive player.

I picked 50 games not because it's a nice number but because it was 50 games ago that Hall was taken off RNH and Eberle's line and put up the hat trick against the Hawks. I think that game was his coming out party. He's been dominant almost every night since then.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Coldhardmitch

I swear we're all Hockey Hipsters,

people don't think Hall is better BECAUSE HE WAS PICKED FIRST. It's "cooler" to think you're smarter than the GMs and go with the 2nd choice here.

Same reason everyone wanted us to take the "smart" choice and choose a Dman instead of RNH and Yakupov, which were safe choices.

Coldhardmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:35 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Going back to last season...Hall has 26 goals and 51 points in his last 50 games. That's a 43 goal/84 point pace.

Not to hijack the thread but just to make the comparison. Seguin has 13 goals/32 points in his last 50 regular season games. Which is a 21 goal/53 point pace. Which further proves my theory that Seguin's stats were greatly inflated by a 9 game hot streak where he had 10 goals and 15 points. It was by far the best hockey of his NHL career and he never came remotely close to repeating it. On a night to night basis, Hall is the much better offensive player.

I picked 50 games not because it's a nice number but because it was 50 games ago that Hall was taken off RNH and Eberle's line and put up the hat trick against the Hawks. I think that game was his coming out party. He's been dominant almost every night since then.
Ya, he was playing well, but it sure seemed to be one of those streaks where any time he touched the puck, it somehow ended up in the net. Same with guys like Thornton, and Marleau right now. They're certainly great players, but they're not exactly scoring at a pace that they'll be able to replicate

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardmitch View Post
I swear we're all Hockey Hipsters,

people don't think Hall is better BECAUSE HE WAS PICKED FIRST. It's "cooler" to think you're smarter than the GMs and go with the 2nd choice here.

Same reason everyone wanted us to take the "smart" choice and choose a Dman instead of RNH and Yakupov, which were safe choices.
bang on, dude!! that's exactly what's going on here. true, we'd be sitting fine and dandy right now with Seguin, Landeskog and Galchenyuk/Murray, but Hall and Yak were more proven at the time, and, while Lando may have been equally valued, RNH was the centre that we needed.

we made the right choices, but the other choices would have been good also (tho, with Hall/Seguin, i think Hall is and will prove to be much better)

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya, he was playing well, but it sure seemed to be one of those streaks where any time he touched the puck, it somehow ended up in the net. Same with guys like Thornton, and Marleau right now. They're certainly great players, but they're not exactly scoring at a pace that they'll be able to replicate
Exactly...and it's something that needs to be recognized. Marleau currently has 9 goals/14 points in 7 games while Crosby has 3 goals/7 points in 7 games. Lets say they both finish the season with 25 goals/50 points. How do you ignore that while they both finished with the same numbers, outside of the first 2 weeks of the season, Crosby was better? He's the player you would want. Seguin had a 2-3 week period where he had 10 goals/15 points in 9 games and Hall still finished with a higher GPG and PPG averages. I'm not even saying Hall blows Seguin away. I've watched a lot of Bruins games. I almost always come away impressed...I just don't get how it seems to be so unanimous outside of Edmonton that Seguin is easily the better player. Even TSN projected Seguin to finish 12th in points while Hall was all the way at 63rd and no where near a point per game.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Exactly...and it's something that needs to be recognized. Marleau currently has 9 goals/14 points in 7 games while Crosby has 3 goals/7 points in 7 games. Lets say they both finish the season with 25 goals/50 points. How do you ignore that while they both finished with the same numbers, outside of the first 2 weeks of the season, Crosby was better? He's the player you would want. Seguin had a 2-3 week period where he had 10 goals/15 points in 9 games and Hall still finished with a higher GPG and PPG averages. I'm not even saying Hall blows Seguin away. I've watched a lot of Bruins games. I almost always come away impressed...I just don't get how it seems to be so unanimous outside of Edmonton that Seguin is easily the better player. Even TSN projected Seguin to finish 12th in points while Hall was all the way at 63rd and no where near a point per game.
Eastern bias man. No one in the east wants to stay up to watch the Oilers but comment on them as if they were experts lol.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:17 AM
tsnTpoint

Taylor Hall is BEAST and drives the top line. Watch the breakout of Eberle-RNH-Hall and you will notice 90% of the time it is Hall carrying the puck full bore into the offensive zone.

Hall honestly looks 6,2' 220 lbs out there. He looks like a true power forward with speed on the wing.

I also have to note Hall has not put himself in that "reckless" position this year. He looks like a much smarter player who knows how to use his pure speed to gain the zone.

-Huge praise for Hall's game in 2013, from this poster.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Taylor Hall is BEAST and drives the top line. Watch the breakout of Eberle-RNH-Hall and you will notice 90% of the time it is Hall carrying the puck full bore into the offensive zone.

Hall honestly looks 6,2' 220 lbs out there. He looks like a true power forward with speed on the wing.

I also have to note Hall has not put himself in that "reckless" position this year. He looks like a much smarter player who knows how to use his pure speed to gain the zone.

-Huge praise for Hall's game in 2013, from this poster.
Taylor Hall is the effin truth! But seriously he's playing awesome this year I think this might be his "breakout year".

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:59 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'm a huge credit. But I'm gonna have to admit that other than the occasional brain fart, he's making incredible plays to open up opportunities in the offensive zone. My favorite play is when he enters zone with speed, and then makes a perfect pass to RNH/Ebs in the slot who have entered behind him. Always sets up a prime opportunity.

If he could finish like a top-5 pick he'd lead the league in scoring

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote