HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

Old
02-02-2013, 07:21 AM
calvinguy

vCash: 500
Hall looks great out there, he is creating a lot of space for both Eberle and Hopkins when he brings the puck across the blue line.

Remember that he is still growing physically. You can tell he is putting on some weight and muscle and he is beginning to look more like the power forward that he is suppose to be.

The reason that he is underrated is understandable. People just have the impression that he is a small injury prone forward that skates with his head down.

Don't expect him to be acknowledged until he plays a full season and starts putting up near ppg stats.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:38 AM
no doubt about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Feels like he's bootstrapped the Barons a bit in the last month.

Should be future captain of the Oilers - I'd make him captain this year though.
While he is quietly leading the team with 9 points. I think he has a way's to go before he gets a letter that he can keep. Until he plays a whole season and maybe the next and he can prove that his name isn't Taylor Glass. I would wait. The expectations of a Taylor Hall are high as well as all 1st rounders. He seems to be struggling with that part. It's amazing to say that but I am looking for consistency from him.

no doubt about it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
this is a reason why Hall is overrated right now. when you have to pull out the arguments about his ppg average or his prorated stats.
his game and point totals are what they are. Doesn't matter what he might have achieved if he didn't get hurt and was able to play. you have to go with the facts.

This season will be a bit of a litmus test. I'd like to see Hall play at least 45 games, be near a ppg, and show some of that "Messier style" for the entire season. Then I'll agree he is coming into his own and deserves more notice around the league. But for now, his lack of love on the rest of the board is justified.
Disagree. There were about ten players last year in the entire league at a ppg. If he can put up 35 goals and 65-70 points that would be a great thing.

Don't think Messier, he doesn't have the mean streak. He's more of an Anderson.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM
doubledown99

Hall is awesome. People will always underrate him because of his injury history.

From what I have seen from him this year he should be able to avoid those massive hits. Multiple times he's eased up and turned the other way when a defender is coming at him. That is huge! Last few years Hall would have kept going forward and been crushed. This year I've seen him ease up, pass off the puck (or chip it in) and than brace for the hit. If he keeps that up it should do wonders for his health.

And if he stays healthy and keeps on doing what he does people will start recognizing his ability

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinguy View Post
Hall looks great out there, he is creating a lot of space for both Eberle and Hopkins when he brings the puck across the blue line.

Remember that he is still growing physically. You can tell he is putting on some weight and muscle and he is beginning to look more like the power forward that he is suppose to be.

The reason that he is underrated is understandable. People just have the impression that he is a small injury prone forward that skates with his head down.

Don't expect him to be acknowledged until he plays a full season and starts putting up near ppg stats.
Don't count on it -- people still think Kessel sucks.

I like Hall. A lot. He's leading the Oilers in scoring and is quietly a team-best +4. And he's been relatively unlucky in this fist leg too -- shooting 3% under his career average. I think this is the year he proves a lot of people wrong.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
jmco

Hall is playing ok. But not what i or other fans expect. Hall constantly carries the puck in over the blue line and tries to beat the D men by himself almost always on the outside.

It doesn't work! A little poke & the puck goes back the other way or its a predictable shot on net. Hall needs to get going faster to beat guys on the outside or cut inside hard & draw a penalty. Or another option is dump it in & chase & bang bodies.

Hall isn't on the Eberle RNH line to carry it in & beat guys one on one. either carry, stop and pass to the middle or dump & chase. Hall is too predictable right now. Just like Ovechkin has become.

jmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Hall sure sucked today versus the Avs. Wow. Petrell did more with the puck offensively.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Hall sure sucked today versus the Avs. Wow. Petrell did more with the puck offensively.
1 bad game doesn't mean anything and to be honest I was less impressed by Eberle today.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Eberle looks like a frustrated hockey player right now. I've never seen a player force so many plays over a three game span in my life.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Hall hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree. Is he overrated? No..

He just needs to mature and work on his decision making.

I would honestly rather have Eberle as the future captain.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmco View Post
Hall is playing ok. But not what i or other fans expect. Hall constantly carries the puck in over the blue line and tries to beat the D men by himself almost always on the outside.

It doesn't work! A little poke & the puck goes back the other way or its a predictable shot on net. Hall needs to get going faster to beat guys on the outside or cut inside hard & draw a penalty. Or another option is dump it in & chase & bang bodies.

Hall isn't on the Eberle RNH line to carry it in & beat guys one on one. either carry, stop and pass to the middle or dump & chase. Hall is too predictable right now. Just like Ovechkin has become.
I agree they need to simply dump the puck more. Hall and Eberle are pretty good at breaking into the offensive zone though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen Hall come through the neutral zone with speed, pass the puck to Ebs and have Ebs give it right back to Hall, who's now going full speed into the o-zone. Good, simple play that makes use of Hall's speed.

They really do need to simplify things sometimes though. Like I said, they need to dump the puck more. Some more size on that line would really help with this though.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Tyrolean

Hall is a defensive liability and not very smart with the puck. He makes up for it with his great speed and will. He is definitely not a sniper and gets most of his goals through hard work and determination.

Not the best and not the worst but definitely not a great 1st pick overall compared to other elite picks of the past.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Love him! This kid is a bull. When he learns how to use his teammates more effectively he will be almost unstoppable.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Eberle looks like a frustrated hockey player right now. I've never seen a player force so many plays over a three game span in my life.
this is what I've seen as well.....Eberle has looked brutal the last 3 games.
IMO Hall and Hemsky have looked the best this year so far, and seem to be the ones getting the most criticism. I don't get it.

should mention Gagner as well.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Hall is a defensive liability and not very smart with the puck. He makes up for it with his great speed and will. He is definitely not a sniper and gets most of his goals through hard work and determination.

Not the best and not the worst but definitely not a great 1st pick overall compared to other elite picks of the past.
to say hall is a defensive liability is *laughable*... he leads the team in +/-, probably still leads in REL CORSI, drives the play pretty much whenever he is on the ice.... i have literally no idea what you are talking about here, none

yeah he's about an average 1st overall pick, very similar to tavarres in production levels and intangibles.... slightly below kanes PPG production, but hall brings a lot more other aspects than kane does, so hall win's out in the intangibles argument

hall isn't ovi, stamkos or crosby, but he's easily a tavarres or kane, and much better than a johnson or fleury ... those are the #1 picks from 2003-2010 and hall is worse than 3, better than 2 and the same as another 2.... he couldn't be a more average #1 overall pick, and this isn't a bad thing by any stretch

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:57 AM
n7

He's gotten lucky this year to have the points he does.

He has fantastic speed and drive with the puck, and a great shot.
That's it though.

When it comes to entering the zone, his normal play involves one of the following:
- trying his terrible deke/dangle around a defender (where he loses the puck and play goes the other way)
- passing back to no where
- instead of holding up for a moment so he has teammates to pass to, tries to fly through three guys (and then loses the puck and play goes the other way)

So many zone entries die horribly entirely because of his stupid plays.
If he would focus on his strengths and SHOOT the puck instead of trying to be fancy (which he's terrible at), he might be a more effective player.

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7 View Post

That's it though.

When it comes to entering the zone, his normal play involves one of the following:
- trying his terrible deke/dangle around a defender (where he loses the puck and play goes the other way)
- instead of holding up for a moment so he has teammates to pass to, tries to fly through three guys (and then loses the puck and play goes the other way)

If he would focus on his strengths and SHOOT the puck instead of trying to be fancy (which he's terrible at), he might be a more effective player.
you mean be more effective than leading the team in scoring (i guess he's technically tied) and leading in plus/minus? i'm not saying he can't be more effective, every player can, but to complain about how he is doing is just plain dumb

Old
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
n7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
you mean be more effective than leading the team in scoring (i guess he's technically tied) and leading in plus/minus? i'm not saying he can't be more effective, every player can, but to complain about how he is doing is just plain dumb
I most definitely can complain, and there's nothing dumb about it.

Stats don't tell the whole story; you know this as well as i do.

If i just looked at stats i might be impressed with his season, but i WATCH games, and frankly, he has a long way to go with improving his intelligence when it comes to making plays, and especially making the safe play.

I'm not trying to say he's the only reason the Oilers are going to fall short of the playoffs this season, but he's certainly contributing.

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
to say hall is a defensive liability is *laughable*... he leads the team in +/-, probably still leads in REL CORSI, drives the play pretty much whenever he is on the ice.... i have literally no idea what you are talking about here, none
Yup, thats ridiculous. Reading some of the posts in here id say hes the most under appreciated on HFOil.

Quote:

That's it though.

Your blowing it way out of proportion. I bet if you watched all the games this season and counted his zone entries, his 'normal' play would be to pass the puck or shoot.

I mean, Hall is generating over 6 scoring chances a game at ES. Far more than any other Oiler. Amazing that he can do that when his 'normal' entry is loosing the puck.

Interesting enough hes also averaging less mistakes on scoring chances against than any other forward we have as well.

If Hall is contributing to us not making the playoffs, its MUCH less of a contribution than any other player on this team.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
HallOfGreatness4

Not scoring enough goals.
Have seen him take over a game 2 or 3 times in his career. Not enough. And I'm a Hall jock sniffer admittedly.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I most definitely can complain, and there's nothing dumb about it.

Stats don't tell the whole story; you know this as well as i do.

If i just looked at stats i might be impressed with his season, but i WATCH games, and frankly, he has a long way to go with improving his intelligence when it comes to making plays, and especially making the safe play.

I'm not trying to say he's the only reason the Oilers are going to fall short of the playoffs this season, but he's certainly contributing.
if you think that taylor hall is one of the problems with this team, well, i don't know what to tell you .... i'll let others on here judge which of us is closer to the truth

Old
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

A guy who's leading the team in point (or tied) is far from the problem.

And this is coming from a guy who watches him play too.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Toydarian

You guys do realize even the best players in the league don't always make the "right play." Just watch Malkin and you'll see he attempts a lot of risky plays, sometimes they work, often they don't. Hall doesn't play as "cerebral," but that doesn't mean isn't effective or a really good hockey player.

Also, an average 1st overall is a REALLY good player.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post

He leads all Oilers with +4. He also is tied for the lead in scoring in his third year.

He is also ahead of both of the last two years #1 overalls and is two points behind Tavares who is a year older and is -2.

Right now the worst defensive Oilers are Hemsky, Yakupov and Whitney.

Simply put you dont seem to know wtf you are talking about.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
A guy who's leading the team in point (or tied) is far from the problem.

And this is coming from a guy who watches him play too.
Yeah, I'm not as big on him as some of you are, but he's far from being the problem with the team right now. Once RNH gets going and Kruger figures out Potter/Whitney need to go, things will get in motion again. I'd still suggest switching RNH/Gags winger-wise.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote