HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New Years Eve 1995. Winnipeg Arena. Boston Bruins vs Winnipeg Jets

Old
01-01-2013, 02:23 AM
scythe

vCash: 500
New Years Eve 1995. Winnipeg Arena. Boston Bruins vs Winnipeg Jets

That was the night I went to my first and only NHL game live. I've been a life long Boston Bruins fan and that was the only chance I've had to see them in person. The tickets were a Christmas gift from my father who drove us down to Winnipeg for the game (A 16 hour round trip). Our seats were in the Boston end in the lower bowl so they couldn't have been cheap. It was just my dad (A life-long Leafs fan) and me.

The crowd was anounced as the first sell-out of the season in Winnipeg and it was already known that this was the final year for the Jets in Manitoba. The arena was about 60/40 Jets fans to Bruins fans which made for an interesting dynamic. Tim Cheveldae was playing for Winnipeg that night and a bunch of people from his hometown of Mellville SK had hung a huge banner in his honour. Cam Neely, my favorite NHL'er of all time, was healthy and back in the line up and got in a fight with a Jets player that I can't remember the name of. My other memory of that night was having to explain how tv timeouts work to my father who had no idea why they kept taking extended breaks several times a period.

The Bruins would go on to win the game and send me home happy that night. It's been 17 years since then and it still stands as the only game I've ever seen live in the NHL. My dad has since passed away but I always think about him and that night every New Years Eve.

Happy New Years and here's hoping the boys are back on the ice in a few weeks!

Last edited by scythe: 01-01-2013 at 02:35 AM.
scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Neat.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:21 AM
rdawg1234

awesome story man! I hope you see more games live!

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:28 AM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
awesome story man! I hope you see more games live!
Thanks rdawg. I definitely have a return trip to Winnipeg planned at some point in the next couple of years when the Bruins are in town.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

very nice story man happy new years

Raym11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Just out of curiosity where do you live? In NWT or something considering the drive?

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
cneely

16 hours... Thompson?
Maybe Prince Albert or something?

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:31 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
16 hours... Thompson?
Maybe Prince Albert or something?
Neither. But that neck of the woods is correct. For the sake of anonymity let's just say, somewhere in between

Old
01-01-2013, 10:48 PM
mymkovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe View Post
That was the night I went to my first and only NHL game live. I've been a life long Boston Bruins fan and that was the only chance I've had to see them in person. The tickets were a Christmas gift from my father who drove us down to Winnipeg for the game (A 16 hour round trip). Our seats were in the Boston end in the lower bowl so they couldn't have been cheap. It was just my dad (A life-long Leafs fan) and me.

The crowd was anounced as the first sell-out of the season in Winnipeg and it was already known that this was the final year for the Jets in Manitoba. The arena was about 60/40 Jets fans to Bruins fans which made for an interesting dynamic. Tim Cheveldae was playing for Winnipeg that night and a bunch of people from his hometown of Mellville SK had hung a huge banner in his honour. Cam Neely, my favorite NHL'er of all time, was healthy and back in the line up and got in a fight with a Jets player that I can't remember the name of. My other memory of that night was having to explain how tv timeouts work to my father who had no idea why they kept taking extended breaks several times a period.

The Bruins would go on to win the game and send me home happy that night. It's been 17 years since then and it still stands as the only game I've ever seen live in the NHL. My dad has since passed away but I always think about him and that night every New Years Eve.

Happy New Years and here's hoping the boys are back on the ice in a few weeks!
That's incredible story. Thanks for sharing!

That game has special meaning to me as well, I was only 12 at the time, but I received a game used Ray Bourque stick from that particular game (If that is in fact the last time Boston played in Winnipeg).

Happy New Years to you and your family!

mymkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:04 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymkovski View Post
That's incredible story. Thanks for sharing!

That game has special meaning to me as well, I was only 12 at the time, but I received a game used Ray Bourque stick from that particular game (If that is in fact the last time Boston played in Winnipeg).

Happy New Years to you and your family!
Nice! And Thanks!

Old
01-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Flin flon?

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Flin flon?
I have a lot of friends in that neck of the woods. Either Flin Flon or The Pas would fit I suppose, although I don't think The Pas is quite a 16 hour return trip.

Anyways, good to see another Bruins fan in Manitoba. Cheers.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Puckclektr

Nice story. Funny thing is my father passed away this past dec 20th and although he was friends with a leaf hall of famer and we received tickets all the time, the one game I remembered the most was Winnipeg as well. It was 8-7 overtime final. Would have been around 1985. I saw a Winnipeg jets puck in the showcase at the concession booth and never bought it, but remembered seeing that puck and logo up until about 10 years ago until I bought it off eBay. Have collected all kinds of jets pucks ever since as well as others totaling well over 1000. Now every time I walk into my rec room I see those jets pucks on the wall and it is a reminder of not only ALL the times we went to hockey games together, but it reminds me of him.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

I Found the box score and there are a lot of interesting names in there, Doan and Selanne are the only guys still playing, it feels like a lifetime ago.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxs...512310WPG.html

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I was going to try to find some footage of the Neely fight for you, but it seems like you mis-remembered. He may have been involved in some pushing and/or shoving, but he didn't even register a penalty minute in the game. On the other hand, he did score 2 goals...

Game Summary

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Man, I miss huge banners hung by fans.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
I was going to try to find some footage of the Neely fight for you, but it seems like you mis-remembered. He may have been involved in some pushing and/or shoving, but he didn't even register a penalty minute in the game. On the other hand, he did score 2 goals...

Game Summary
Yeah, 'fight' wasn't the right word for it. 'Scrum' would have been better. Keep in mind that game was ages ago so it probably has built up greater status in my memories of the night.

That's amazing you guys found a game log. I got nostalgic looking at both rosters.