HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Overpriced Athletic Shoes

Old
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
BTW, those shoes are extremely ugly.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
I dont think theyre ugly, theyre better than plain white or plain black shoes. Plus they will be getting dirty anyways.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
I just got a real nice deal, was told about Sport Mart 30% off clearance sale cause the last 3 stores in Calgary are closing down so I checked it out and picked up these. One is Fila and other is Reebok for $31 each! I got 2 pairs for pretty much not even 1 pair at Sport chek, so I returned the $25 shoes at Sport Chek. $80+ / pair at Sport Chek haha what a joke.

They also have hiking shoes and found a cheap pair for $30 + 30% off, might go back tommorow and get them. $21 for brand new Hiking shoes, dont think you can beat that.

$31 Reebok, will wear these first

Fila

$31 Fila, will store these away

Great, now I have to get a good deal. Oh well, will probably check out the Sunridge one.Do they have skates there?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
A good is only worth as much as the market is willing to pay for it. Since shoe manufacturers and shoe stores evidently aren't going out of business, it is quite clear that their goods are not "overpriced".

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Pay for comfort myself...

Trail running i use Asics. Never found a running shoe as comfortable... but good god they are expensive and break very fast, usually less than 6 months.

Casual whatever shoes vary, I have some expensive ones and some cheap cheap ones.
Asics are the comfiest runners I've ever had but a bit too much cushioning. I run in saucony kinvara's now, a much more minimalistic shoe. Anyway, the point I was going to try and make is that if you're a serious runner, like those shoes are designed for, you'd be retiring them before they start to break down. The cushioning goes way before you start to see damage and you're risking injury. Most runners retire their trainers after about 500 miles or so depending on how hard they are on them. That can be anywhere from 5-10 weeks. I buy all my runners at the running room outlet. I don't have a problem wearing last years styles. The technology is still top notch and I pay less than half price.

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Great, now I have to get a good deal. Oh well, will probably check out the Sunridge one.Do they have skates there?
Not sure but you can check. I didnt take a look at their hockey stuff. I will go back tommorow for the $21 hiking shoes ha. They have lots of K-Swiss and DC but i didnt know if they are good shoes so i didnt get them. They would have been $60 or so after the 30% off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Asics are the comfiest runners I've ever had but a bit too much cushioning. I run in saucony kinvara's now, a much more minimalistic shoe. Anyway, the point I was going to try and make is that if you're a serious runner, like those shoes are designed for, you'd be retiring them before they start to break down. The cushioning goes way before you start to see damage and you're risking injury. Most runners retire their trainers after about 500 miles or so depending on how hard they are on them. That can be anywhere from 5-10 weeks. I buy all my runners at the running room outlet. I don't have a problem wearing last years styles. The technology is still top notch and I pay less than half price.
One of mine is 2011 model and the other is 2012, i couldnt care less what year model it is. I think thats why you pay a premium at sport chek cause they have the newest models. To me, nobody will be able to tell what year model shoe you are wearing and its not like anyone will care.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Not sure but you can check. I didnt take a look at their hockey stuff. I will go back tommorow for the $21 hiking shoes ha. They have lots of K-Swiss and DC but i didnt know if they are good shoes so i didnt get them. They would have been $60 or so after the 30% off.

which location were you at? I'm not seeing the "all stores closing" ad anywhere

*edit* Nevermind, found it after some diligent googling. Hockey skates have gotten insanely overpriced lately. Adult ones are $250, $350, even $650.

If only I could cram into a youth size(which I've heard some people can if they fit a 7 mens. I don't like to cram though)

Last edited by octopi: 01-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Is this a post your athletic shoe collection thread?

Why do you have so many hideous shoes?

And DYEL? Because none of those shoes are good for that.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

What the **** do you need so many pairs of athletic shoes for anyway?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Why do you have so many hideous shoes?

And DYEL? Because none of those shoes are good for that.
Holy crap, it was bad enough looking at them once, did you really have to quote them all again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Never understood that or people who buy shoes and just collect them but don't wear them. I have a lot of shoes for a guy I guess but they're all different kinds for a specific purpose and I actually wear them all.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
octopi

Quote:

Never understood that or people who buy shoes and just collect them but don't wear them. I have a lot of shoes for a guy I guess but they're all different kinds for a specific purpose and I actually wear them all.
I walk or bus everywhere, usually walking 6 Ks a week(or more?) so I buy shoes instead of tires. Most of mine are for specific purposes: Soft hikers are for my general reasonable weather walking, will often have a couple pairs of runners in that rotation, tall boots for when I want to look fancy, my grip multisports are for ice/first snow, my keen boots are for colder/deeper snow, and so forth.I'll have a "main pair" but usually have several I wear a month.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Some people like wasting money

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I walk or bus everywhere, usually walking 6 Ks a week(or more?) so I buy shoes instead of tires. Most of mine are for specific purposes: Soft hikers are for my general reasonable weather walking, will often have a couple pairs of runners in that rotation, tall boots for when I want to look fancy, my grip multisports are for ice/first snow, my keen boots are for colder/deeper snow, and so forth.I'll have a "main pair" but usually have several I wear a month.
When I was in high school I was doing wrestling, soccer, and baseball. I did a lot of running because of this and I bought maybe a pair of shoes every 2 years or so.

Are you walking on lava?

Old
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
When I was in high school I was doing wrestling, soccer, and baseball. I did a lot of running because of this and I bought maybe a pair of shoes every 2 years or so.

Are you walking on lava?
You must not have been working all that hard then

I wrestled at the national level and would go through a pair of wrestling shoes every season. And if you "did a lot of running" there's no way your shoes would last you 2 years. Training for my last marathon I went through a pair approximately every 10 weeks. Some people are just harder on their shoes or retire them when it's time. Running shoes need to be retired before they show much wear most of the time.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
octopi

Quote:

Are you walking on lava?
I have recurrant foot/knee/ankle/hip issues if I'm not careful, my one hip is higher due to a spine curve. You probably wouldn't notice it if you saw me though.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
BPR*

Quote:

Are you walking on lava?
Forget wear and tear, I don't think there was a single two month stretch in high school where I didn't grow a shoe size, let alone two years.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Krishna

Quote:
You must not have been working all that hard then

I wrestled at the national level and would go through a pair of wrestling shoes every season. And if you "did a lot of running" there's no way your shoes would last you 2 years. Training for my last marathon I went through a pair approximately every 10 weeks. Some people are just harder on their shoes or retire them when it's time. Running shoes need to be retired before they show much wear most of the time.
Oh, I still went through Wrestling shoes all the time. When I run, it's almost entirely on the track near my house so maybe that explains the light wear and tear. But 6 kilometers isn't really that far

Old
01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Charles View Post
Forget wear and tear, I don't think there was a single two month stretch in high school where I didn't grow a shoe size, let alone two years.
My feet haven't really grown since about 8th grade.

But since we are talking about shoes..

Why the hell do shoe makers have such varying sizes?

With Vans I am a 9.5

With adidas I am a 10.5

With nike I am an 11

With Supra I am an 8.5

Old
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
BPR*

I'm a 12 for pretty much everyone, but 10.5 for New Balance. Get your **** together, New Balance.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Krishna

We need legislation to make shoe sizes the same size for all shoe makers

Old
01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
My feet haven't really grown since about 8th grade.

But since we are talking about shoes..

Why the hell do shoe makers have such varying sizes?

With Vans I am a 9.5

With adidas I am a 10.5

With nike I am an 11

With Supra I am an 8.5
I hear that. My feet haven't grown since that age either. Size 13 since I was 13 years old. I remember my mom freaking out thinking we'd never be able to find shoes for me and I'd wind up with size 17 feet or something crazy. But they never got any bigger.

I agree on the messed up sizes. My shoes range from 10.5-13

Old
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Dose Jordans

new kicks

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:03 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Why not? If I like something, I buy it. That's not even all of them lol.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:07 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes

I wear all of mine. I like to rotate. Some variety. When I played college soccer, I had six pairs of cleats too. 3 in my home bag, 3 in my road bag. Variety is the spice of life.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:51 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Puckgenius, if you seriously have a hard time paying $25 for a decent pair of shoes.....you're in for a rough life.

Try Payless next time.
This, you cheap SOB. While it is true that many retail items are still overpriced in Canada considering the dollar is still hovering around par, you could always buy online from the US etc. The old adage that you get what you pay for us often true.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote