HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 WJC's Thread II

Old
01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
As someone who had relatives die in those wars I find this quite offensive, particularly when you consider this country let the commonwealth do all the heavy lifting and only entered the fray halfway through.
Ya that should definitely be off limits

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:01 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bringing over bangers would have hurt more than helped over here. We would have been constantly killing penalties and the players would have likely been even more slow footed.

Look at the US team. They are all offensive guys, especially on the back end. Where are their bangers?

Fact is their offensive guys far outgunned our offensive guys when the chips were down.

Canada has a bad habit lately of cruising through the prelims and not being able to up the intensity once the medal round begins. That has been our achillies heel.
I didn't mean to bring bangers. We just didn't really have any strong forecheckers with non-stop motors like a Catenacci or Leipsic.

And I wouldn't say the US team was all offensive guys. Pietila and Bardreau were demons on the forecheck and are known as defensive guys. Hartman and Biggs fit that mold too. Kuraly, Miller and Vesey are offensively capable, but they had more focus on all three zones than most of Team Canada.

McCabe, Trouba and Sieloff were definitely grittier than anything on our back-end.

We just seemed to have a bunch of cream puffs who barely forechecked or backchecked. That could have either been a personnel or coaching problem though.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
The Q bye does suck though, I'm glad it's gone next year.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
As someone who had relatives die in those wars I find this quite offensive, particularly when you consider this country let the commonwealth do all the heavy lifting and only entered the fray halfway through.
The image is poking fun at overzealous American patriotism. It's not making fun of the wars, diminishing the sacrifices of the soldiers involved or making any serious claims that America won the two wars by themselves.

I don't think it's in bad taste at all.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The image is poking fun at overzealous American patriotism. It's not making fun of the wars, diminishing the sacrifices of the soldiers involved or making any serious claims that America won the two wars by themselves.

That's just one way of interpreting it.

It also epitomizes how many people perceive the American worldview.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

Yeah, that's how I understood it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
That's just one way of interpreting it.
This is true.

It's probably fair for those who lost the bet to request a different aviator if they wish.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Normally I'd somewhat agree, but I'll take it in the context I think it was meant for.

I also come from a Military family with Grandfathers in both World Wars and uncles in the Korean war. If I thought that the intent and use of the Avatar was ill intended or offensive...trust me, I would not be using it for a month.

Knowing Matt Ryan's previous posting history, I think there is absolutely no ill intent in using the Avatar and the reference, as far as I'm concerned, is strictly to do with hockey and the WJC's in particular.

As long as Matt takes his hat off during National Anthems, I'm fine with it.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Everest

Still a couple pretty important games needing to be played here...but...

Canadas' group of 'D' has been a bit of a disappointment.

But in all fairness to them...I think playing on the big ice is a huge adjustment and the coaching staff didn't seem to put their thumprints on helping the kids get the hang of things on international ice.

In fact...Im still not sure if the WinSport Ice was ever actually converted to international dimension for the selection camp. You would think after all these years and the arenas Ive been in I would know what I was looking at when I went to the Red/White game. I thought it looked like NA ice. If thats the case...then shame on Hockey Canada.

Either way...our 'D' wasn't what it was hyped to be. The USA defence won them the game today...and maybe...the Gold Medal, too.

But lets wait and see.

John Wesibrough (Flames Asst. GM) mentioned how the big ice game has historically caused surprising outcomes in this tournament.

Sweden might end up taking the whole thing yet...and if they do...its probably them...not the USA or Russia or the mirror...that we need to be looking at for a future template.

Sweden is (maybe) the best tactical engineering country in hockey and while I haven't seen them play many games this tourney...I suggest its a worthwhile thing for EVERYONE to do at this point.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Normally I'd somewhat agree, but I'll take it in the context I think it was meant for.

I also come from a Military family with Grandfathers in both World Wars and uncles in the Korean war. If I thought that the intent and use of the Avatar was ill intended or offensive...trust me, I would not be using it for a month.

Knowing Matt Ryan's previous posting history, I think there is absolutely no ill intent in using the Avatar and the reference, as far as I'm concerned, is strictly to do with hockey and the WJC's in particular.

I didn't think he has any ill-intentions and is just looking to poke fun.

The image in isolation is just something that really grinds my gears. Which makes me relieved I'm not the one sporting it for a month.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yeah, that's how I understood it.

This is true.

It's probably fair for those who lost the bet to request a different aviator if they wish.
I've interpreted it in the context it was meant for.

I take no offense to it and will wear it for the month.

We all know who did what in the history of our nation. No need to be offended IMO.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Psychoil

in a 7 game series, do u think canada could of beat the usa?

Psychoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
I would say, no.

I think based on what weve seen the last few days...Canada would need a couple games before they could realistically make a game of it.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
They could win a 7 game series. Odds aren't any better than even though. It's 1-1 right now.

Mcworraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
this team needed Jordin Tootoo
Brendan Liepsic

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
They could win a 7 game series. Odds aren't any better than even though. It's 1-1 right now.
And its not like we've been physically dominating them or wearing them down either.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

If hitting was actually you know, allowed, in these tournaments we might be able to wear them down. The Canadians played timid as hell today and the speedy, talented Americans made them pay for it.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If hitting was actually you know, allowed, in these tournaments we might be able to wear them down. The Canadians played timid as hell today and the speedy, talented Americans made them pay for it.
The really alarming moment was Boone Jenner totally bailing on a puck in the corner in USA's end. It ended up an easy take-away for USA and they scored on the counter-attack.

The lack of hitting was surely partly attributed to the way games are called....but...it also seemed as though the kids were just never quick enough to get to make a hit.

USA was...as you said...quicker than Canada today.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

Well said and kudos to you Dorian2 for stepping up and wearing the avatar like a man.
Shame on those complaining about how offensive it is.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Well said and kudos to you Dorian2 for stepping up and wearing the avatar like a man.
I find your avatar offensive - it encourages violence against animals, roadrunners in particular. Please replace it with Kat Dennings cleavage.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Hear hear. How dare they voice their opinions!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Bryanbryoil

So uhh Canada and the US fought on the same side of both World Wars right? My grandpa fought for Canada in WWII, not sure what the big deal is here TBH.

The poster asked my opinion before he posted it, so if anyone has an issue with it PM me and tell me what your issue is and I'll take it into consideration.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 01-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Bryanbryoil

So when is the Bronze Medal game?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hear hear. How dare they voice their opinions!
You are right liquor. I worded that badly, and stronger than I intended to, apologies to the board.
I should have written that I disagree with those folks offended rather than saying they should be ashamed. There's no shame in holding an opinion.

Lets get back to talking about how the team shat a brick shall we?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So when is the Bronze Medal game?
Who cares at this point....

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Who cares at this point....
Bronze is better than nothing, not to mention we get to watch RNH, Nail, Zharkov, and possible draft picks like Drouin, MacKinnon, and the big Russian forward whose name escapes me.