HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 WJC's Thread II

Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bronze is better than nothing, not to mention we get to watch RNH, Nail, Zharkov, and possible draft picks like Drouin, MacKinnon, and the big Russian forward whose name escapes me.
True, but its just not the same

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

The Kevin Prendergast era, folks.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
True, but its just not the same
Tell me about it, I wanted RNH to stay in OKC to continue growing with his teammates there, my solaces were that he might win Gold and that he wanted to go. Now the former is toast, I'm not too thrilled about it either.

01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

KP needs to be canned period.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
He couldn't make that one big stop to stop the bleeding but good lord, was Canada ever awful today. And Spott's coaching was even worse. You can't hang this on Subban.
No, I'm not at all. It just bothered me how bad he was after the first 2 or 3 games, and it didn't seem to matter. Even after Bingington came out and had a great game in the pre-comps ... didn't matter. A guy should earn his spot no matter the name.

Remember when they told Patrick Roy you need to earn your spot on the Canadian team? He didn't even join ..... best player plays

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:

I disagree. We have the best women's soccer player in the world, and we deserved gold. It's the same hollow feeling for me. KP really is a hack. He made what, 2 good picks over his time with the Oil

Old
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree. We have the best women's soccer player in the world, and we deserved gold. It's the same hollow feeling for me. KP really is a hack. He made what, 2 good picks over his time with the Oil
We have the best player but the Americans have the best team. I hated the way they eeked their way to Gold in that particular tournament but they are the best. Unfortunately. Americans... sigh.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
No, I'm not at all. It just bothered me how bad he was after the first 2 or 3 games, and it didn't seem to matter. Even after Bingington came out and had a great game in the pre-comps ... didn't matter. A guy should earn his spot no matter the name.

Remember when they told Patrick Roy you need to earn your spot on the Canadian team? He didn't even join ..... best player plays
I didn't like the way Brossoit was just... tossed aside during the selection camp either. He played the best but was discarded. He wasn't even under consideration.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
We have the best player but the Americans have the best team. I hated the way they eeked their way to Gold in that particular tournament but they are the best. Unfortunately. Americans... sigh.
We were the better team that game though

Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
I didn't like the way Brossoit was just... tossed aside during the selection camp either. He played the best but was discarded. He wasn't even under consideration.
I agree. There's something wrong when you cut the best goalie back to back years, and keep having goalie issues

Old
01-04-2013, 12:02 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bronze is better than nothing, not to mention we get to watch RNH, Nail, Zharkov, and possible draft picks like Drouin, MacKinnon, and the big Russian forward whose name escapes me.
I agree.

People sometimes tend to give up after a tough loss. It's a good experience for young player to be humbled a bit and learn to bounce back. No way we tell them to quit and be a soar loser.

Most importantly, this is a competition and a sport. And these players are chosen to participate to represent their country. You compete to the best of your ability till the end.

Secondly, the players need to learn to care about the fans who paid to attend the game, sponsors who paid big dollar, and also they have fans and families supporting them back home.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Cerebral

Rieder has a goal and an assist for Germany who is currently up 2-1 on Latvia.

01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
http://http://www.worldjunior2013.co...rt-suspension/

Reinhart suspended four games, will miss bronze medal game.

Quote:
This means that Griffin Reinhart cannot play in the bronze medal game with Canada versus Russia on January 5, and is not eligible to play in the first three games of the next IIHF championship in which he may participate.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Great. Going to see Murphy play 35 minutes now.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:

That's amazing isn't it. Ever since he was brought on the team has struggled, and by struggled I mean not one gold, botched something, or in general fallen off.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post

I think the bigger problem is the lack of inconsistency in the program. I have no problem with giving your best players the best opportunity to succeed but it seems like some guys who earned a spot were written off while other guys played their way onto the team.

Having said that, we can complain at the makeup of this team all day and miss the rest of the red flags. I mean, how was the USA a better transition team when we had two former puck moving top 10 picks (Murphy & Morgan) be better than their USA counterparts.

On paper, this team was good enough to win gold despite some questionable players on the team. I mean that game wasn't even close. You can't pin the loss on any one guy. It just looks like the Canadians underestimated the Americans game plan and were unprepared.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
KP has made Team Canada the Oilers of the IIHF. Doesn't pick the players who know how to win.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
I agree.

People sometimes tend to give up after a tough loss. It's a good experience for young player to be humbled a bit and learn to bounce back. No way we tell them to quit and be a soar loser.

Most importantly, this is a competition and a sport. And these players are chosen to participate to represent their country. You compete to the best of your ability till the end.

Secondly, the players need to learn to care about the fans who paid to attend the game, sponsors who paid big dollar, and also they have fans and families supporting them back home.
It's Canada and Hockey - either go Gold or go Home

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm so sick of IIHF hockey. It is easier to stomach when Canada is winning but the whole thing is a joke. Incompetence from top to bottom.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

That's ****ing brutal, how the **** do you get a 4-game suspension for that?

That's ******* ridiculous.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I know KP is an easy target, but I didn't hear much whining when the team was announced.

If you go by hype, had to figure Canada had the most stacked, NHL-ready players in the tournament.

Coaching and goalie selection, that's another story.

Anyway, anyone notice that Brossoit has been unstoppable since he was cut?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Well at least these games are on when I'm usually sleeping. Them being on early really has my interest a lot lower than previous years.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I know KP is an easy target, but I didn't hear much whining when the team was announced.

If you go by hype, had to figure Canada had the most stacked, NHL-ready players in the tournament.

Coaching and goalie selection, that's another story.

Anyway, anyone notice that Brossoit has been unstoppable since he was cut?
It's true you can't use the make up of the team as an excuse this year.

However I know it's only a tournament but I question the validity of Huberdeau and Scheifelle in the NHL.

I laughed the one game when Miller and Ferarro were saying that Huberdeau would easily be a 3rd liner in the NHL, likely a 2nd but definitely a lock for a 3rd liner. I mean he will still likely turn out as an NHLer but I think the anomoly of his career is the memorial cup win otherwise I think he's going to be a perpetual Joe Thornton. But up big points during the seaosn but when the going gets tough JH will fade away.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well at least these games are on when I'm usually sleeping. Them being on early really has my interest a lot lower than previous years.
With no NHL it made my interest the highest. I either watched every game live or PVR'd and watched them first thing in the morning.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Mcnofool6110
Purcell is **3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
It's true you can't use the make up of the team as an excuse this year.

However I know it's only a tournament but I question the validity of Huberdeau and Scheifelle in the NHL.

I laughed the one game when Miller and Ferarro were saying that Huberdeau would easily be a 3rd liner in the NHL, likely a 2nd but definitely a lock for a 3rd liner. I mean he will still likely turn out as an NHLer but I think the anomoly of his career is the memorial cup win otherwise I think he's going to be a perpetual Joe Thornton. But up big points during the seaosn but when the going gets tough JH will fade away.
Hmm... I dunno about Schiefele. I feel his game will translate a lot better than Huberdeau. He's got a bigger frame on-ice, plus the power forward game is needed on essentially all 4 lines. If not a second-liner, he'll be a fantastic 4th line energy guy. He was playing on his off position for the tourney too.

I was severely underwhelmed by Huberdeau's performance. Well, as I was with everyone. But especially him - I remember after the first pre-tournament game, the idea was the offence is going to get even more deadly when Huberdeau came back (former 3rd overall, overall wunderkind). I just didn't see it.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote