HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 WJC's Thread II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 PM
  #151
The Nuge
Moderator
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,491
vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bronze is better than nothing, not to mention we get to watch RNH, Nail, Zharkov, and possible draft picks like Drouin, MacKinnon, and the big Russian forward whose name escapes me.
True, but its just not the same

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
  #152
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 500
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

The Kevin Prendergast era, folks.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
  #153
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Magician
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
True, but its just not the same
Tell me about it, I wanted RNH to stay in OKC to continue growing with his teammates there, my solaces were that he might win Gold and that he wanted to go. Now the former is toast, I'm not too thrilled about it either.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
  #154
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Magician
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 57,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

The Kevin Prendergast era, folks.
KP needs to be canned period.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
  #155
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He couldn't make that one big stop to stop the bleeding but good lord, was Canada ever awful today. And Spott's coaching was even worse. You can't hang this on Subban.
No, I'm not at all. It just bothered me how bad he was after the first 2 or 3 games, and it didn't seem to matter. Even after Bingington came out and had a great game in the pre-comps ... didn't matter. A guy should earn his spot no matter the name.

Remember when they told Patrick Roy you need to earn your spot on the Canadian team? He didn't even join ..... best player plays

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
  #156
The Nuge
Moderator
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,491
vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

The Kevin Prendergast era, folks.
I disagree. We have the best women's soccer player in the world, and we deserved gold. It's the same hollow feeling for me. KP really is a hack. He made what, 2 good picks over his time with the Oil

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
  #157
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree. We have the best women's soccer player in the world, and we deserved gold. It's the same hollow feeling for me. KP really is a hack. He made what, 2 good picks over his time with the Oil
We have the best player but the Americans have the best team. I hated the way they eeked their way to Gold in that particular tournament but they are the best. Unfortunately. Americans... sigh.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  #158
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
No, I'm not at all. It just bothered me how bad he was after the first 2 or 3 games, and it didn't seem to matter. Even after Bingington came out and had a great game in the pre-comps ... didn't matter. A guy should earn his spot no matter the name.

Remember when they told Patrick Roy you need to earn your spot on the Canadian team? He didn't even join ..... best player plays
I didn't like the way Brossoit was just... tossed aside during the selection camp either. He played the best but was discarded. He wasn't even under consideration.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
  #159
The Nuge
Moderator
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,491
vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We have the best player but the Americans have the best team. I hated the way they eeked their way to Gold in that particular tournament but they are the best. Unfortunately. Americans... sigh.
We were the better team that game though

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
  #160
The Nuge
Moderator
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,491
vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I didn't like the way Brossoit was just... tossed aside during the selection camp either. He played the best but was discarded. He wasn't even under consideration.
I agree. There's something wrong when you cut the best goalie back to back years, and keep having goalie issues

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:02 AM
  #161
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bronze is better than nothing, not to mention we get to watch RNH, Nail, Zharkov, and possible draft picks like Drouin, MacKinnon, and the big Russian forward whose name escapes me.
I agree.

People sometimes tend to give up after a tough loss. It's a good experience for young player to be humbled a bit and learn to bounce back. No way we tell them to quit and be a soar loser.

Most importantly, this is a competition and a sport. And these players are chosen to participate to represent their country. You compete to the best of your ability till the end.

Secondly, the players need to learn to care about the fans who paid to attend the game, sponsors who paid big dollar, and also they have fans and families supporting them back home.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:19 AM
  #162
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,037
vCash: 500
Rieder has a goal and an assist for Germany who is currently up 2-1 on Latvia.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
  #163
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,356
vCash: 1400
http://http://www.worldjunior2013.co...rt-suspension/

Reinhart suspended four games, will miss bronze medal game.

Quote:
This means that Griffin Reinhart cannot play in the bronze medal game with Canada versus Russia on January 5, and is not eligible to play in the first three games of the next IIHF championship in which he may participate.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:20 AM
  #164
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,923
vCash: 500
Great. Going to see Murphy play 35 minutes now.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
  #165
Philly85
Raps'
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
When the Canadian ladies won Bronze in Soccer at the London games that meant something to me. When we're playing for Bronze in hockey it's just a hollow feeling.

The Kevin Prendergast era, folks.
That's amazing isn't it. Ever since he was brought on the team has struggled, and by struggled I mean not one gold, botched something, or in general fallen off.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  #166
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
No, I'm not at all. It just bothered me how bad he was after the first 2 or 3 games, and it didn't seem to matter. Even after Bingington came out and had a great game in the pre-comps ... didn't matter. A guy should earn his spot no matter the name.

Remember when they told Patrick Roy you need to earn your spot on the Canadian team? He didn't even join ..... best player plays
I think the bigger problem is the lack of inconsistency in the program. I have no problem with giving your best players the best opportunity to succeed but it seems like some guys who earned a spot were written off while other guys played their way onto the team.

Having said that, we can complain at the makeup of this team all day and miss the rest of the red flags. I mean, how was the USA a better transition team when we had two former puck moving top 10 picks (Murphy & Morgan) be better than their USA counterparts.

On paper, this team was good enough to win gold despite some questionable players on the team. I mean that game wasn't even close. You can't pin the loss on any one guy. It just looks like the Canadians underestimated the Americans game plan and were unprepared.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
  #167
McDorian2
Positional Bias.
 
McDorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,035
vCash: 99
KP has made Team Canada the Oilers of the IIHF. Doesn't pick the players who know how to win.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
  #168
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
I agree.

People sometimes tend to give up after a tough loss. It's a good experience for young player to be humbled a bit and learn to bounce back. No way we tell them to quit and be a soar loser.

Most importantly, this is a competition and a sport. And these players are chosen to participate to represent their country. You compete to the best of your ability till the end.

Secondly, the players need to learn to care about the fans who paid to attend the game, sponsors who paid big dollar, and also they have fans and families supporting them back home.
It's Canada and Hockey - either go Gold or go Home

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
  #169
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
I'm so sick of IIHF hockey. It is easier to stomach when Canada is winning but the whole thing is a joke. Incompetence from top to bottom.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  #170
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
That's ****ing brutal, how the **** do you get a 4-game suspension for that?

That's ******* ridiculous.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
  #171
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 500
I know KP is an easy target, but I didn't hear much whining when the team was announced.

If you go by hype, had to figure Canada had the most stacked, NHL-ready players in the tournament.

Coaching and goalie selection, that's another story.

Anyway, anyone notice that Brossoit has been unstoppable since he was cut?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:54 AM
  #172
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28,826
vCash: 2627
Well at least these games are on when I'm usually sleeping. Them being on early really has my interest a lot lower than previous years.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
  #173
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I know KP is an easy target, but I didn't hear much whining when the team was announced.

If you go by hype, had to figure Canada had the most stacked, NHL-ready players in the tournament.

Coaching and goalie selection, that's another story.

Anyway, anyone notice that Brossoit has been unstoppable since he was cut?
It's true you can't use the make up of the team as an excuse this year.

However I know it's only a tournament but I question the validity of Huberdeau and Scheifelle in the NHL.

I laughed the one game when Miller and Ferarro were saying that Huberdeau would easily be a 3rd liner in the NHL, likely a 2nd but definitely a lock for a 3rd liner. I mean he will still likely turn out as an NHLer but I think the anomoly of his career is the memorial cup win otherwise I think he's going to be a perpetual Joe Thornton. But up big points during the seaosn but when the going gets tough JH will fade away.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  #174
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well at least these games are on when I'm usually sleeping. Them being on early really has my interest a lot lower than previous years.
With no NHL it made my interest the highest. I either watched every game live or PVR'd and watched them first thing in the morning.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
  #175
Mcnofool6110
Purcell is **3
 
Mcnofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
It's true you can't use the make up of the team as an excuse this year.

However I know it's only a tournament but I question the validity of Huberdeau and Scheifelle in the NHL.

I laughed the one game when Miller and Ferarro were saying that Huberdeau would easily be a 3rd liner in the NHL, likely a 2nd but definitely a lock for a 3rd liner. I mean he will still likely turn out as an NHLer but I think the anomoly of his career is the memorial cup win otherwise I think he's going to be a perpetual Joe Thornton. But up big points during the seaosn but when the going gets tough JH will fade away.
Hmm... I dunno about Schiefele. I feel his game will translate a lot better than Huberdeau. He's got a bigger frame on-ice, plus the power forward game is needed on essentially all 4 lines. If not a second-liner, he'll be a fantastic 4th line energy guy. He was playing on his off position for the tourney too.

I was severely underwhelmed by Huberdeau's performance. Well, as I was with everyone. But especially him - I remember after the first pre-tournament game, the idea was the offence is going to get even more deadly when Huberdeau came back (former 3rd overall, overall wunderkind). I just didn't see it.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.