HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Pre-Game: Gold Medal Game • Saturday • 8:00 AM ET • 14:00 CET • 19:00 YEKT

View Poll Results: Who wins?
SWE 87 23.97%
USA 276 76.03%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
mikjo344

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Difference between the U.S. and Russia is that Russia only realized after half the game they need to put pressure on the Swedish Ds to find success. USA will go after the Swedish Ds right away and Sweden hasn't really faced that high forechecking yet in this tournament. Key #1 for us is not to get hemmed into the corners in our defensive end, because USA will thrive from there, get pucks back to the blue line and create havoc every single time in front of the net.
Wikstrand and the other D's will have to make quicker plays down low to aviod the fore check.

Hoping for a tight and exciting game! Kom igen Sverige!

Old
01-04-2013, 01:29 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Sweden got problems with Russia when they did speed up, connecting D and F, we'll see how speed will matter in the coming game. On the other hand, Russia was really fast in those instances when they caused havoc in the Swedish team, I wonder if the US can reach that level of skating combined with teamplay (no jab at the US, just saying that Russia was good in this aspect in parts of the game vs Sweden).
Team USA doesn't push the breakaways to the point of actually hurting the team like I have seen from Russia. They remain in a simple shape, if you slip up they will try to take advantage, but very rarely does anybody break team structure looking for it. Having seen both Russia and Canada the US was the fastest team in the group. Where they really took off, was slowing down at times to look for better offense. They do have a tendency to buy into the speed and get pushed wide. But trust me as an overall team of the teams we have played they are the fastest I have seen especially because of the team speed on the backend.

Actually the team I came away second most impressed with in the speed department was Team Sweden in the pre-tournament games. Of course that was a USA team resting at the time their top line (Vesey has improved that a bunch, player of the game against Sweden if I remember right) and their two best d-man. But a lot has changed since then for both sides, but I really do expect the American speed factor to cause some problems. The key for Sweden will be limiting them. Also Russia uses their speed to look for mistakes and scoring chances. The US is pretty consistent they use it to keep shape, forecheck, backcheck and wear opponents out. They don't just use it on the rush, it is there in all apects of the game for most of the guys. The consistent use and application to hard work with it is where the strength is.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Difference between the U.S. and Russia is that Russia only realized after half the game they need to put pressure on the Swedish Ds to find success. USA will go after the Swedish Ds right away and Sweden hasn't really faced that high forechecking yet in this tournament. Key #1 for us is not to get hemmed into the corners in our defensive end, because USA will thrive from there, get pucks back to the blue line and create havoc every single time in front of the net.
Gotta keep the puck out of our own end as much as possible.

A key for sweden to win is to get fewer penalties than the US.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:46 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Team USA doesn't push the breakaways to the point of actually hurting the team like I have seen from Russia. They remain in a simple shape, if you slip up they will try to take advantage, but very rarely does anybody break team structure looking for it. Having seen both Russia and Canada the US was the fastest team in the group. Where they really took off, was slowing down at times to look for better offense. They do have a tendency to buy into the speed and get pushed wide. But trust me as an overall team of the teams we have played they are the fastest I have seen especially because of the team speed on the backend.

Actually the team I came away second most impressed with in the speed department was Team Sweden in the pre-tournament games. Of course that was a USA team resting at the time their top line (Vesey has improved that a bunch, player of the game against Sweden if I remember right) and their two best d-man. But a lot has changed since then for both sides, but I really do expect the American speed factor to cause some problems. The key for Sweden will be limiting them. Also Russia uses their speed to look for mistakes and scoring chances. The US is pretty consistent they use it to keep shape, forecheck, backcheck and wear opponents out. They don't just use it on the rush, it is there in all apects of the game for most of the guys. The consistent use and application to hard work with it is where the strength is.
If it is an even match-up both teams can play with speed, otherwise the team with initiative will utilise speed more. Taken that Sweden seems to be in trouble when speed is used on them - more so than in the case of the USA - I would say that USA got odds on gaining the initiative. With the USA having 4 goalscorers in top 10 and Sweden none I do not like that USA might be able to have initiative based on their speed.

On the other hand, this is hockey so it is an open affair.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:53 AM
MadFlava

I'm pretty excited for this final because the Capitals only two prospects in the tournament will be in it. I think that Barber has been great for team USA and his play this tournament will really increase his stock in the Caps prospect pool. Forsberg's tournament hasn't been as impressive but he had a key goal against Russia and drew a penalty that resulted in the first PP goal. I think he's gotten better as the tournament has come along and hope he has and incredible game in the final. I'll be rooting for USA but even if Sweden wins, I'll be really happy for Forsberg and team Sweden.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:24 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Yes this could get even uglier than CAN-USA game... You'd have to assume the players and coaching staff knows exactly how usa plays and how they should prevent them from having success, but you can only be so good with the current defensemen, there's a limit how much forecheck and pressure they can handle.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Grammar Butcher

Well Sweden has not lost a match in the WJC since the bronze match 2011 against... USA of course. The last win against USA was in Boston 2006.

If we have a great streak against the Finns. USA sure have one over us.

If we had our "best" team on paper, then i think the streak would have come to an end, but now... I doubt it

Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thank God this game is tomorrow, on the weekend. Waking up twice at 3am to watch the game before heading out to work at 6am is a killer.

Sticking with the US. Had a bet with a friend that it would be US and Sweden in the finals with the US taking the gold. Hope it comes true. Either way though, a gold and a silver to two Habs prospects (Galchenyuk, Collberg) makes me really happy.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Swep

I still have no idea how we even made the final. Last two periods + over time against Russia was awful, and I'm really worried about our defence. We need three periods like the first in the Russia game to stand a chance.

GO SWEDEN!

Old
01-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Nordic*

Why did Görtz leave the team due to injury, and instead play with Farjestad?`

Makes no sense what so ever.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
c9gunner

I think it's about time for the Americans to take the gold. USA 5- Sweden 2

Old
01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Looking forward to this. Sweden needs to play like they did in the first period against Russia. The best period played by any team in this tournament..That said I would say the USA are the favorites, they've looked incredible in the play offs in every period, not just the one that Sweden was a sheer joy to watch in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
I think it's about time for the Americans to take the gold. USA 5- Sweden 2
It's not like it was a long time since 2010 but ok

Old
01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Nordic*

I hear Zibanejad is currently on a flight from Ottawa to UFA. He needs his second gold and game winning goal

Old
01-04-2013, 08:04 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Crashing the net in a most literary way might not be a bad approach for Sweden.
How does one crash a net in a "literary" way?

Old
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Rangerfans

I'm not concerned with the US being amped up for this game. I believe the coach and the team are truly hungry for the win.

The same goes for Sweden, they came out like an absolute juggernaut against Russia and really looked scary at times!

My fear for the US is that this is going to be a game of attrition: the last three games were fluid, goal-scoring, every-goes-right streaks.

I don't think that will happen this game. I think it's going to be a bit of a grind due to the speed of both teams. I hope it doesn't frustrate team USA and start playing against their system.

Regardless if we win or lose, I'm extremely happy with how we've played in this tournament

Good luck Sweden!

Old
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
US takes the gold. Sweden always have issues against NA teams

Old
01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Why did Görtz leave the team due to injury, and instead play with Farjestad?`

Makes no sense what so ever.
He was injured like the 18th of december, probably didn't know how serious it was. He played with Färjestad when? 27th? Maybe he felt better after a few days and it was just a scare... swedish management didn't want to take any risks..

Just my 2

Old
01-04-2013, 08:56 AM
DARKSIDE

I think Gibson is the difference. USA Should win gold.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
US takes the gold. Sweden always have issues against NA teams
No, we have problems against USA.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
22Brad Park

USA will beat them,best goalie in tourney will be difference and speed GO USA GO FINISH THIS RUN OFF

Old
01-04-2013, 09:34 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Go Sweden, from a Canucks!
You still rooting on Swedes after what Bruins did to them Sedins ? Just kidding,hope its a great game to watch.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
djf

I'm allready pumped for this

One game, one shot, anything can happen! Go bring back the gold Sweden!

Old
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I'm definitely getting behind Team Sweden for this one and it's not an anti-USA thing. Alfredsson, Karlsson, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner... You get the idea.
fyi, none of those guys are playing in this game. Not anti-US? c'mon.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
NHL network

Of course, don't get it.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
LoneStarHockey