HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Naming the divisions

View Poll Results: Name the divisions
Dink Carroll 11 39.29%
Red Fisher 14 50.00%
James Creighton 18 64.29%
Louis Magnus 14 50.00%
Ray Scapinello 11 39.29%
Sam Pollock 14 50.00%
Gabe Desjardins 2 7.14%
Fredrick Stanley 6 21.43%
P.D. Ross 8 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Naming the divisions

This is your pole. Pick four. The deadline is Saturday the 19th, after which the top four choices will go for the division names. Have fun.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

My argument against Scapinello, Pollock, Desjardins, and Stanley? The modern fan has heard of them. And I like this being for "unsung heros" (to the extent that any of these guys are heros).

Old
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
My argument against Scapinello, Pollock, Desjardins, and Stanley? The modern fan has heard of them. And I like this being for "unsung heros" (to the extent that any of these guys are heros).
I fail to see how people would know about Sam Pollock but not Red Fisher.

I respect Fisher but he's an ******* and thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-15-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: don't circumvent the filter, please. the site admins don't like it
Old
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
I fail to see how people would know about Sam Pollock but not Red Fisher.

I respect Fisher but he's an ass and thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Yeah, I guess people have heard of Fisher, but he's just been too important to the ATD IMO. I think Pollock probably better known outside of Montreal, but maybe that's just me.

And I have a feeling that most if not all of these guys would think they are the greatest since sliced bread if you asked them....

Old
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Yeah, I guess people have heard of Fisher, but he's just been too important to the ATD IMO.

And I have a feeling that most if not all of these guys would think they are the greatest since sliced bread if you asked them....
Which is why it doesn't take away my respect for him.

I don't really care about the huge ego of people but it is what it is.

and why is Red Fisher ''too important'' , or more specifically more important than arguably the greatest GM of all-time?

Old
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

and why is Red Fisher ''too important'' , or more specifically more important than arguably the greatest GM of all-time?
Maybe it's just me, but I find Fisher and Carroll to be the authors I quote the most often when I make ATD profiles.

I certainly wouldn't complain if Pollock gets a division.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-15-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Dreakmur

How can anybody leave James Creighton out?

Old
01-15-2013, 05:56 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
good question. But that's sure a smart group of five that's voted for him so far.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Don't even know why I voted for Magnus over Creighton , that's what you get for voting too quickly

Caroll & Fisher are Montreal guys so I wanted to support them , and Pollock was my idea.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I like Magnus as a representative of European hockey. Don't think we have a division named after a non-Canadian, right?

Old
01-15-2013, 07:10 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

The truth is we could name the divisions after some obscur pro dodgeball players and I wouldn't give a rat's ass in the end

Just a nice addition , nothing more.

I've been in the Foster Hewitt division in both ATD2011 and ATD2012 , I'm ready to move on

Old
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
papershoes

I may have missed this discussion but, isn't an ATD conference already named after Red Fisher?

Old
01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

With 32 teams competing in eight divisions for the Milt Dunnell Cup, then four more divisional names could be created, to honour non-player figures in hockey history.

The 2013 All-Time Draft

Red Fisher Conference

Foster Hewitt Division
Jim Robson Division

NEW Division
NEW Division

Jim Coleman Conference

Bob Cole Division
Rene Lecavalier Division

NEW Division
NEW Division

Old
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
I may have missed this discussion but, isn't an ATD conference already named after Red Fisher?
Proposal: Remove Red Fisher from the divisional name poll list since he is already honoured by a conference name.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:54 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

lol if he is already a conference just remove him right away

Old
01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
I refuse to vote for a man named Dink.

01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Vote for a Ray Scapinello Division, to be named after the longest serving on-ice official in NHL history (1971-2004), a staggering 33 years on the ice, including twenty Stanley Cup championship series.

He also wrote a great hockey history book: Between the Lines: Not-So-Tall Tales From Ray "Scampy" Scapinello's Four Decades in the NHL (2006).

He became a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008:

Quote:
To hear his fellow NHL officials, coaches and players tell it, "Scampy' was always in the right place at the right time.

Scapinello, 62, is being honored because he set all the records for NHL linesmen: 33 seasons, 2,500 consecutive games and 426 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He was chosen for the playoffs in only his second season, 1972, and continued every year until he retired in 2004. He never missed an assignment in his career.

"Ray has all the records," said longtime linesman Kevin Collins. "He's the Wayne Gretzky of officiating. He achieved things that no one will be able to surpass. That shows his longevity and his ability to stay fit. He was always professional and this honor reflects the respect that people in the League had for him."

"Game 7, Stanley Cup Final, Rangers vs. Canucks. The buildup was intense and the stage was Madison Square Garden," Scapinello recalled. "You know that at 10:05 p.m., or so, someone is going to skate off with the Stanley Cup and someone is going to go home bitterly disappointed. The pressure is unbelievable.

"I was worried to death right up until we went on the ice and then, you're a professional, you're in your element, doing what you do and I just went on auto-pilot. Bryan Lewis, the referee-in-chief, put his trust in us, but until then, I had no idea of the pressure that I would feel that night.

"Ray was an outstanding guy to work with, although we didn't work a lot of games during the regular seasons," Collins said. "We were paired in a lot of Stanley Cup Playoff games. I had the feeling of security in knowing that all I had to do was my job because he had his job taken care off. He always had your back. It was a comfortable feeling being out there and knowing the job would get done well."
"I had to take that from the president of the league because of Ray, who wrote in his book that he was 'vertically challenged.' Ray and I had some fun," Morrison said.

Scapinello "lined" many international tournaments, but his biggest thrill came at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. Naturally, he was on the ice when Petr Svoboda scored the winning goal to give the Czech Republic gold.

"The one that sticks in my mind is the 1998 Winter Olympics, the first time the NHL participated," Scapinello said. "I was one of the ones chosen to go to the Olympics and it was a real honor. We had a meeting with the IIHF to go over the different rules and situations and they had a rule that officials had to wear helmets. I never wore one in my career. So, I raised my hand and said, 'Mr. (Rene) Fassel, I don't wear a helmet,' and he said then I wouldn't officiate the Olympics. I told him, 'I wear a medium.'

He became somewhat invisible to players who had known him for years.

"I remember I was dropping a puck down in the corner and just as I started to drop it, I hear a whistle. It's my partner and he indicated someone was encroaching. It was Chris Chelios and he was in 3 or 4 feet. I waved him back out of the circle. I get ready to drop again, take a quick look, and there's Chelios again. I say, "Geez, Chris, come on, back up.' And then I hear him say, 'Is that you, Scampy?' It was the third period. He didn't even know I was in the game.

"The big moment though was getting to do the gold medal game between Russia and the Czech Republic. Dominik Hasek stood on his head and stole that game for the Czechs, an absolutely great performance and an honor for me to be there, doing that game.

"One of my best international experiences was after Igor Larionov retired and held his retirement game the next year in Moscow," Scapinello said. "He put together two All-Stars teams, North America vs. Russia. Well, one night in New York, Igor approached me and asked me if I would officiate in this game. I was so honored and to think now that we'll be going into the Hockey Hall of Fame together. Life has really been great.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=390387

Old
01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
lol if he is already a conference just remove him right away
Lulz, I honestly never really paid attention to the conference names we've been using. I can't believe papershoes is the first to notice

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-16-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

So um, I guess the top 4 vote getters not named Fisher win

Old
01-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Rob Scuderi

P.D. Ross

Get this man in over Lord Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
He joined the Toronto Daily Mail as a journalist.[1] He returned to Montreal and joined the Montreal Star in 1885, eventually becoming its managing editor.[3]

In 1886, Ross became co-owner of the near-bankrupt Ottawa Evening Journal newspaper. In 1891 he bought out his partner and made it into a highly successful and respected paper. He served as its president for 60 years during which time he helped found the Canadian Press newspaper association.

He was a builder and sometimes player of the Ottawa Hockey Club, later to be known as the Ottawa Senators. With this club, he befriended the sons of Lord Stanley, the Governor-General of Canada. In 1892, Lord Stanley appointed him to be a trustee for his championship ice hockey trophy, known today as the Stanley Cup. He helped found the Ontario Hockey Association in 1890. He played in the first Ontario championship game in 1891 at the Rideau Rink in Ottawa, helping Ottawa win 5-0 over Toronto St. George's.

Mr. Ross was one of the two original Trustees of the Stanley Cup named by Lord Stanley in 1894, and so served for over 50 years until his death in 1949. He also served as trustee for the Minto Cup of lacrosse. He turned down the trusteeship for the Grey Cup of Canadian football. He was inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1974 and he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1976.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Philip D. Ross was a successful politician and newspaperman who worked hard to ensure that the early Stanley Cup challenges were of a high standard. No individual had more involvement with important decisions surrounding the Cup and the first Canadian amateur hockey leagues than Ross.

On the ice he played with two of Lord Stanley's sons on the Rideau Rebels team that did much to popularize the game in Ontario. It also drew the attention of his Lordship himself to the point that he commissioned the famous Cup bearing his name.

After Lord Stanley donated the Cup bearing his name, he appointed Ross as one of its trustees. He was vigilant about preventing any abuses of the competition that could tarnish the image of the trophy. A few decent teams were turned down by Ross in this effort to ensure that each Stanley Cup challenge would be competitive and exciting.

Ross was also involved in the early days with the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA), playing on the Ottawa senior team, refereeing and representing the city on the executive.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
This is your pole. ...
Sturm, it's a poll, not a pole.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Sturm, it's a poll, not a pole.
o rly?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
vecens24

All right guys, when do we want to close this poll? Tonight at midnight? We'll go with the four most voted upon names then.

Possibly tomorrow afternoon/night release a draft order, and after the draft order is released (on the 17th), let people start making selections at 12:00 AM EST (the 18th).

Then start the clock the following Monday, the 21st?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
All right guys, when do we want to close this poll? Tonight at midnight? We'll go with the four most voted upon names then.

Possibly tomorrow afternoon/night release a draft order, and after the draft order is released (on the 17th), let people start making selections at 12:00 AM EST (the 18th).

Then start the clock the following Monday, the 21st?
Assuming people are fine with the rules I posted in the planning thread, that sounds reasonable. Waiting for the start of the NHL season on Saturday to release the draft order could be fun, but isn't necessary if we have the rules down AND all the teams figured out.

I don't want to start drafting until I know who is in my division though.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Assuming people are fine with the rules I posted in the planning thread, that sounds reasonable. Waiting for the start of the NHL season on Saturday to release the draft order could be fun, but isn't necessary if we have the rules down AND all the teams figured out. I don't want to start drafting until I know who is in my division though.
One good thing about vecens plan is the clock won't start for 5 days giving guys plenty of time to get ready.

Closed Thread