Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I like Kass. we really don't want to get into where the Aeros are right now with Bagnall out...our only tough guy goes down, and no one is left to answer back when other teams start hammering us. That's when we get Powe and god forbid clutterbuck fighting.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
We still have Konopka.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We still have Konopka.
that's what i meant...we'd have the one guy on the team who can dust up. when Konopka goes down, we're marshmallows. team toughness isn't our strong suit. We don't have a Backes on the top end and you can't even count on Stoner being in the lineup, and after that we have some size but no one with any inclination to defend a teammate.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We had the biggest, baddest enforcer in the NHL for years and that didn't stop anyone from taking cheap shots at our players. Don't expect that to change now.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
We had the biggest, baddest enforcer in the NHL for years and that didn't stop anyone from taking cheap shots at our players. Don't expect that to change now.
yeah, i'm familiar with that argument and agree with it to an extent but we didn't get pushed around as a team as the Aeros have looked pretty harried a few games. it wears on players, and getting pushed back often takes some of the "sap" out of the opponent or they just build momentum off pummeling us shift after shift. Doesn't always affect the final score, but it's going to take a toll.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

If we get Bouchard back, we'll have enough toughness and enforcers.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
yeah, i'm familiar with that argument and agree with it to an extent but we didn't get pushed around as a team as the Aeros have looked pretty harried a few games. it wears on players, and getting pushed back often takes some of the "sap" out of the opponent or they just build momentum off pummeling us shift after shift. Doesn't always affect the final score, but it's going to take a toll.
Well then we've got Koivu, Brodziak, Clutterbuck, Powe, Mitchell, and Konopka. All of those guys are tough to play against and aren't afraid to get physical.

I really don't see this team being soft at all.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Well then we've got Koivu, Brodziak, Clutterbuck, Powe, Mitchell, and Konopka. All of those guys are tough to play against and aren't afraid to get physical.

Right on. Management went into the summer to make the team "tougher to play against" and they definitely did that. We are a fast physical hockey team and I think that identity will show itself soon.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

Currently constructed 2nd line to me is extremely soft, but other 3 lines are fine.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

We're not the softest, but I'd like more than one guy who can/will fight on the roster in case the other goes down. I'm not saying it'll keep guys from targeting and frustrating our top lines but it'll go a long way toward keeping them concentrating on play instead of the other team's burrows.

no big guy and teams like the Canucks and Blues will be able to pound away with no answer. a big guy isn't going to stop them, but it's always less demoralizing if you're firing back.

edit: lest anyone think i'm all for a goon squad i've been saying all along we shouldn't dress kass and Konopka in the same game. just want the backup.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

IMO guys who fight in retaliation for cheap shots are either goons who can't hack a regular shift or guys who will take a stupid penalty.

Ignore the cheap shots and hurt them on the score board.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
maxpenguins6630

Will Spurgeon play the point with Suter on the first PP ? Or what is his role... I am looking a d-man on the cheap that can produce...

Old
01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Will Spurgeon play the point with Suter on the first PP ? Or what is his role... I am looking a d-man on the cheap that can produce...
It doesn't appear so, at least to start. Maybe 2nd PP with guys like Granlund and Setoguchi.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
IMO guys who fight in retaliation for cheap shots are either goons who can't hack a regular shift or guys who will take a stupid penalty.

so we really don't need Konopka, either.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Sportsfan1

Konopka can play and handle a regular shift, which is why I love having him on this team no matter if he fights or not. He's not a talentless waste of space like Boogy as a player, not person obviously. (sorry man RIP)

Old
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Even strength he will be with Suter. But on Powerplays he'll probably be on the second unit.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Konopka can play and handle a regular shift, which is why I love having him on this team no matter if he fights or not. He's not a talentless waste of space like Boogy as a player, not person obviously. (sorry man RIP)
he seems to be a healthy scratch an awful lot...

Old
01-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Parise Koivu Bouchard
Heatley Granlund Setoguchi
Cullen Brodziak Clutterbuck
Powe Konopka Mitchell
Veilluex/Dowell

Kassian is gone.

Bouchard is dynamic and doesn't belong on that third line. Heatley is just too slow and really doesn't add much to that first line. I have a feeling Bouchard and Parise would play very well together in the offensive zone. I also think the second line needs a little more size in Heatley that can stand out front and get the dirty goals. I also want to see Granlund and Heatley together. Seto will be the speed/forecheck for that line.

I think this variation would balance out our top two lines much better. After tonights scrimmage I really dislike the current 2nd line especially with Cullen on the wing. His days on the second line are numbered imo. I don't want Granlund and Butch on the same line either so this is the perfect setup. You will see this lineup soon I bet.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Parise Koivu Bouchard
Heatley Granlund Setoguchi
Cullen Brodziak Clutterbuck
Powe Konopka Mitchell
Veilluex/Dowell

Kassian is gone.

Bouchard is dynamic and doesn't belong on that third line. Heatley is just too slow and really doesn't add much to that first line. I have a feeling Bouchard and Parise would play very well together in the offensive zone. I also think the second line needs a little more size in Heatley that can stand out front and get the dirty goals. I also want to see Granlund and Heatley together. Seto will be the speed/forecheck for that line.

I think this variation would balance out our top two lines much better. After tonights scrimmage I really dislike the current 2nd line especially with Cullen on the wing. His days on the second line are numbered imo. I don't want Granlund and Butch on the same line either so this is the perfect setup. You will see this lineup soon I bet.
Those or maybe try

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi
Bouchard-Granlund-Heatley

I think Bouchard/Granlund could work because of how dynamic they both are as players. With Heatley tapping the puck in.

Our third line with Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck would be more than capable of shutting down other lines and making up for defense lost putting Bouchard with Granlund.

Just an idea though..I think we'll see a lot of variations

Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Jagged Ice

Quote:

Like Vancouver?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Beegoalie

I also think a lot of people think Bouchard being on the "3rd line" is such a bad thing.

I see it as

Line 1
Line 2A
Line 2B
Line 4

right now.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Would prefer them to move one bottom six forward, either Powe or Veilleux and keep Kassian. Have a rotation between Kassian and Powe/Veilleux. Use Kassian on nights where we need some more enforcement and Powe/Veilleux on nights where we need more energy/speed.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:47 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

With Butch on that top line though, you'd take away the one go-to guy who has the natural scoring ability. Heatley may have missed the net tonight, but he's gonna start hitting his targets. And with Parise and Koivu together, they'll make sure he gets a lot of nice set-ups. I fear with Butch joining that line that it'd turn into a passing contest. Don't get me wrong, he can definitely score goals. But Heater has a shot that needs to be used as much as possible, and Parise/Koivu are the perfect guys to be feeding him the puck. Not to mention that those two guys are gonna be great at getting in the opponent's faces and creating space for #15 to make his move.

With all due respect to Butch, when you've got Parise, Koivu, and Heatley on the roster....he's gonna be the odd man out. You almost have to put those other 3 out there together. At least early on. They deserve some time to gel. It sucks, because training camp is so short. They don't get any pre-season games to get a better look at what does and doesn't fit regarding the lines. Heatley will pick it up. If they don't work well together after 4-8 games, then try something else.

Just my opinion.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Would prefer them to move one bottom six forward, either Powe or Veilleux and keep Kassian. Have a rotation between Kassian and Powe/Veilleux. Use Kassian on nights where we need some more enforcement and Powe/Veilleux on nights where we need more energy/speed.
Agreed. Keep Kassian.

Last edited by NHL1674: 01-17-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 12:48 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Heater still has a heck of a shot, I want him on that top line.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Dr Jan Itor

I think if Bouchard comes out flying, like he was playing tonight, and Clutter/Brodziak aren't capitalizing, he'll get bumped up really quick.

Closed Thread