Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Cullen and Setoguchi are fine when they are working off the rush. Not the cycle. Both of them on one line kills any ability to generate scoring chances. Swapping Cullen with Bouchard would allow that second line to cycle and hold the puck and basically get some offensive zone puck time rather than easy out like it is now.

There's just a mis-match right now in terms of personnel. Cullen, Setoguchi, and Clutterbuck can all shoot the puck but none of them generate much offense on their own. You really only want to have two of them in your top six. That's why moving Seto might make sense (but he's arguably the most talented of the three).

Old
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Cullen and Setoguchi are fine when they are working off the rush. Not the cycle. Both of them on one line kills any ability to generate scoring chances. Swapping Cullen with Bouchard would allow that second line to cycle and hold the puck and basically get some offensive zone puck time rather than easy out like it is now.

There's just a mis-match right now in terms of personnel. Cullen, Setoguchi, and Clutterbuck can all shoot the puck but none of them generate much offense on their own. You really only want to have two of them in your top six. That's why moving Seto might make sense (but he's arguably the most talented of the three).
He's never been really able to put it together though, has he? He got a couple of good seasons in SJ but he's too inconsistent. I'd be fine with him in the 3rd line, his north-south game, good shot and certain amount of physicality would fit there just fine. Add Mitchell to his LW and put Brodz or Cullen at C. Preferably Cullen, as I'd like to see Brodziak given the opportunity on 2nd line with Granlund and Bouchard.

So:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Granlund-Brodziak
Mitchell-Cullen-Setoguchi
Powe-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Kassian

However, if Seto would be traded:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Granlund-Coyle
Brodziak-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

Zucker would be the first call-up, but I see Coyle's size and style of play more fitting to otherwise small 2nd line. Besides, the kid can cycle and won't be in his ass all the time. Zucker, while he certainly doesn't lack grit simply lacks the size and natural ability to grind that Coyle has.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 772
Lines 2-4 need to have their cages rattled HARD. I want them hearing Zucker and Coyle knocking on the door. I don't care if we have to move a contract. Something tells me we'd see more hunger and chances from kids fighting for a spot.

RATTLE THEIR CAGES!

Old
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For once I agree with NHL1975

Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For once I agree with NHL1975
Jarick, I have some bad news.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I hate to say it, because you don't want to mess with something that's working...but I kinda wonder if it's time to break up the top line and see if they can spark some production from new linemates.

Heatley - Granlund - Parise
Bouchard - Koivu - Zucker
Setoguchi - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Konopka - Kassian

Don't bother having a 1st and 2nd line; split them evenly. Ditto on D, because Suter's a bit overexposed and the expectations Yeo has are a bit ridiculous.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I hate to say it, because you don't want to mess with something that's working...but I kinda wonder if it's time to break up the top line and see if they can spark some production from new linemates.

Heatley - Granlund - Parise
Bouchard - Koivu - Zucker
Setoguchi - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Konopka - Kassian

Don't bother having a 1st and 2nd line; split them evenly. Ditto on D, because Suter's a bit overexposed and the expectations Yeo has are a bit ridiculous.
I'd go for that. Only if we build up Granlund's confidence or rile him up. Someone said timid to describe his game right now, thats pretty much it.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:15 AM
heksagon

Before the last game I said that we cannot afford to be a one-line team against the deep Blues team, and look what happened. All the Wild goals came from the same line and the Blues had many lines scoring. Exactly what I was afraid of.

I agree with llamapalooza, we need to spread up the scoring. But maybe Granlund could be on the wing with Koivu and Parise, and Heatley to the second line? Brodziak could center the second line. (Yeah he's not an optimal 2nd line C but whatever) The reason for that is that Granlund will be able to play more offensively from the wing. Remember, he played wing in his first Sm-Liiga year and in the WC too. If he gets his offensive confidence back, he can be moved back to center next year.

I know that the first line is the only one that works at the moment, but breaking it up might give us offense from multiple lines, which we really need.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
I don't care how it happens, but something needs to happen with Cullen. He's just not cutting it anymore. He does NOTHING on the ice. He's a complete waste of a contract and roster spot.

Over the past week or so, I've been saying it's time for Zucker...now I'm thinking we probably need the size of Coyle in our Top 6....and bring Larsson up to play that 3rd line center spot. Briefly drop Koivu to center the two rookies (Granlund needs some size on his line and less responsibility right now as he is adjusting).

Heatley - Brodziak - Parise
Coyle - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Clutterbuck
Setoguchi - Kenopka - Powe

Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I don't care how it happens, but something needs to happen with Cullen. He's just not cutting it anymore. He does NOTHING on the ice. He's a complete waste of a contract and roster spot.

Over the past week or so, I've been saying it's time for Zucker...now I'm thinking we probably need the size of Coyle in our Top 6....and bring Larsson up to play that 3rd line center spot. Briefly drop Koivu to center the two rookies (Granlund needs some size on his line and less responsibility right now as he is adjusting).

Heatley - Brodziak - Parise
Coyle - Koivu - Granlund
Bouchard - Larsson - Clutterbuck
Setoguchi - Kenopka - Powe
You should do stand up.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Yeo needs to do some line juggling and light a fire under some *****.

I hope Fletcher opens up a roster spot or two if possible. These guys are feeling too comfortable.

I also agree with some previous posters that trying out Granlund in a wing position for a game or two might not hurt. I wouldn't mind seeing Brodziak taking the 2c role for a short while. It's not ideal at all, but he's the best other option we have.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
nickschultzfan

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Coyle-Granlund-Zucker
Bouchard-Brodziak-Setoguchi
Clutter-Dowell-Kassian

Cullen does nothing. Nothing. He should be gone. Powe. eh. I would waive him. I actually think Mitchell looks good at points, but he's not really a 4th line player, so he's kind of wasted. Dowell was pretty good for the Hawks.

I would try this line-up to get the guys hungry again. Bouchard is decent when he plays with two bigger players. The "kid" line might not work, but at least you would get some effort out of Zucker and Coyle.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
You should do stand up.
Yeah, because Setoguchi is doing such a brilliant job on that 2nd line, he deserves to stick there.

I'm kind of hoping that trade rumor talk with Pittsburgh comes to fruition. Setoguchi and Cullen are adding nothing...only difference between the two is we can trade the former.

And about Koivu, like I said, I'm not suggesting that Koivu move to the 2nd line permanently...I just think it might help spark Granlund having his "big brother" alongside of him. And I'm not claiming that Brodziak is a legit 1st line center...just a temp move.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My philosophy for beer league hockey is to stack the lines at forward and spread the talent on defense. Of course we don't have special teams or double shift.

I don't like the idea of breaking up the top line. These guys alone are scoring 2.00 goals per game. That's better than FIVE WHOLE TEAMS. Four of which made the playoffs last year. You don't break that up. No.

The 2-4 lines need to improve. 100%. I think Butch to the second line helped, but I'm not sold on Granlund yet and Seto isn't doing anything. Obviously the rest of the guys can't be counted on.

Yeo's in a tough spot...he needs to give the guys some time to adjust to each other, but he can't let games slip away.

Last attempt with this lineup to get things going IMO:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Bouchard - Granlund - Clutterbuck
Cullen - Brodziak - Setoguchi

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Gilbert

(these three pairings would roll so guys aren't playing 30 minutes a game)

or with no Spurgeon

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Gilbert
Falk - Stoner

(last pairing would see minimal ice time)

Old
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
jaeger

Just make it two scoring lines and two defensive lines.

Parise, Koivu, Heatley, Granlund, Bouchard, Setoguchi. There's your top6 offensive forwards. Let those guys play together. Don't put guys there that have average offensive talent or no hands at all.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Just make it two scoring lines and two defensive lines.

Parise, Koivu, Heatley, Granlund, Bouchard, Setoguchi. There's your top6 offensive forwards. Let those guys play together. Don't put guys there that have average offensive talent or no hands at all.
What's Seto doing up there then?

Piggy backing on that though...it makes sense if you don't have the talent to make two scoring lines and two grinding lines.

Is it better to highlight someone's strengths or try and mask their flaws? At the NHL, the latter gets exposed.

If the top line can give us 2 goals per game and the second another goal, that's enough to win most nights if the defense and rest of the forwards are responsible.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
PMB-Granlund-Coyle
Setoguchi-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Cullen-Konopka-Mitchell
Powe, Kassian

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Gilbert
Scandella-Stoner
Falk

Backstrom
Harding

1. There is just no way I'd be willing to break up the top line. 10 goals in 5 games? Yes please.

2. The 2nd line is problematic. I think Granlund is handcuffed right now by not having linemates that can handle his skill level. PMB replacing Cullen probably solves that, but now they're too small as a line. While Zucker would probably provide more offense than Coyle - I think this line needs a bigger body like Coyle to help in the corners & cycle.

3. Seto has a good shot but his hands are like bricks. I don't think he's a top 6 player unless he's with two other guys who can create space for him. Maybe I'm simply seeing what I want to see.

4. Cullen is a likeable person, but man, he just drags down whatever line he's on. The guy spends more time on his butt than Sheppard. He's at the point where I'm okay with him or Powe being healthy scratches. We have enough guys who can PK that he's a bit redundant since he doesn't do much else well outside of FOs.

5. I'd like to see Suter's ice time scaled back to the lower 20's. The 27-28 he's getting with the pairings here is more of a grind than it was with Weber. It's too much. If Brodin keeps progressing I don't think this will be a big problem.

6. I'm not a huge fan of Spurgeon on the first pairing, but it probably creates the most balance. I also kind of hate having two lefties or righties on the same pairing if it can be avoided.

7. Send Prosser down. I doubt he'll be claimed. If he is, oh well.

That's my armchair coaching/GMing. I'm not in panic mode & am fine with them riding out the season with the current roster if it helps Coyle/Zucker/Larsson/etc develop for the 2013/14 season.

Overall, the fanbase inflated expectations a bit too much after the Parise/Suter signings coupled with Granlund/Brodin arriving. Minnesota was probably a fringe playoff team last year w/o all the injuries. I know, I know, #1 in the league until the injuries and all that - but I think we had quite a bit of puck luck over the 1st half of the season. Realistically, I think we're still a year or two away from being a legitimate cup contender. Probably a #6 to #10 in the WC in terms of overall points, just because the NHL level depth/roster makeup isn't quite there. As long as the prospects aren't brought up too early, we'll start making our runs after they've gotten a bit of NHL experience.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Pinchy11

I think moving granlund to the wing would be Beneficial.

Parise-koivu-heatley
Butch-brodz-granlund
Seto-mitchel-clutter
Cullen-konopka-powe

Old
01-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Tuomaz

The most sure way to get scoring from both top-lines would be putting Koivu no the 2nd line. He can score whoever he's with but Parise and Koivu just seems so good together. I like the Brodziak centering granlund idea. Could get them both going.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:23 PM
mnwild2012

Parise-Koivu-Bouchard
Heatley-Brodziak-Granlund
Clutter-Cullen-Seto

Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDatsyukDangles View Post
Parise-Koivu-Bouchard
Heatley-Brodziak-Granlund
Clutter-Cullen-Seto
I would like to see this tried as well.

I know the top line has been great, but we really do need to try out some other ways to balance the scoring. Granlund on the top line with Butch on the second would work as well I think.

At least for two games try it; if it doesn't work at all we can switch back.

We lose our whole secondary scoring threat when Butch and Granlund get shut down as easily as they do. It's sad because both of them really have value to add to the top 6. Seto provides nothing by himself.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
nickschultzfan

One line teams don't win Cups, but one line teams generally make the playoffs. Except Anaheim, who doesn't count because their blueline has been terrible the last few seasons.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
grN1g

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Heatley - Brodziak/Granlund - Granlund/Brodziak
Setoguchi Mitchell Clutterbuck
Powe Konopka Cullen

Suter Brodin
Scandella Gilbert
Stoner Spurgeron

Need to spread the talent, one thing you cant miss on that first line is parise often has to dump and retrieve on his own. Adding bouchard brings more speed, talent, and creativity to that line.

2nd line has heatley's net presence and scoring skill + brodziak to do all the work in the corner's letting granlund be the supporter more often that being pinned and pushed around.

3rd line has and very good mix of everything you want in 3rd liners, and i honestly believe that would be a very good mix of an energy/checking line. Plus i don't think Mitchell is a 4th line player, i think he deserves a chance at 3rd line and we need production from seto no matter if we keep him or want to trade him, so why not try putting them on same line since we brought mitchell in for seto anyways?

4th line is self explanatory, everyone on here besides powe maybe, needs to see minimal & controlled 5v5 ice time.

defense needs to be spread, but also brought to reality. Spurgy is not a 1st pairing partner for suter, he's an above average bottom pairing or a 4/5dman w/e you want to call it.

Brodin is amazing, he may never put up incredible numbers but i love his game, and i think its what's lacking from suters game. brodin can take alot of pressure off of Suter imo and cover the few mental lapses hes been having.

Scandella-gilbert played really well last year, lets try that again.

Stoner-Spurgeron good mix together, i called for stoner to have a breakout year, but last night i was reminded why he's at best a 6th/7th dman. he isn't very strong on his skates for a big guy, and often is the cause of a bad breakout or being pinned in our zone for long periods of time.

Last edited by grN1g: 01-28-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
One line teams don't win Cups, but one line teams generally make the playoffs.
Yeah...by the same token, you can't make a two-line team out of line line and spare parts.

Think about it...if you have one scoring threat on the ice, you double team him, easy. Two scoring threats becomes much harder because they can make defenders move and make mistakes. Three scoring threats...look out.

You don't want to take your top scorers and spread them so thin that the other team only has to key in on one guy per line.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:57 PM
nickschultzfan

I think we need to stop view lines as only "putting good players together in a way where they compliment each other."

I think we need to also cordoned off players who kill a line or have a single style of play that negates their linemates styles of play.

Guys like Cullen, Clutterbuck, and possibly Setoguchi. I'm not including 4th liners even though the same concept applies to them (which is why they are only on the 4th line to begin with).

I think if you seperate Cullen, Clutterbuck, and maybe Setoguchi away from players like Granlund, Bouchard, and Brodziak, those later guys might start producing more.

Closed Thread