HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

2013 Minnesota Wild

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  #876
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
It sounds as though if they can get a reasonable return (my guess would be 3rd round or higher pick), they'd move him ASAP.
I'm not a fan of radical solutions, but if they can get a decent return, they should probably go for it. Never been a big fan of Seto, he's too streaky for my taste to have a regular spot in the top 6.

On the other hand, it also sounds to me that Granlund will be sent to Houston after the game and I don't like that idea one bit. It's not like he's scratched because he's lazy or doesn't make an effort in the games. I think his spot on the team is no longer in his hands.

Gaps is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  #877
Teddy10Beers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Mitchell -- Brodziak -- Clutterbuck

That's the 3rd line that was projected in pre-season before knowing whether PMB would be cleared to play. Gives us a pure checking line which is probably something Yeo wants at this juncture.

Letting Granlund watch a game or two or three from the pressbox will probably do him some good.

Perhaps Seto needs to be on a line with studs (like he was in SJ) in order to score and without that he's just a guy out there skating around looking for the perfect setup. Like Palmeiri in Anaheim; finds himself on a line with Selanne and suddenly he's a goal scorer after being the beneficiary of some wicked good passes from Selanne.

Hope Coyle has a strong debut on Monday. Looks like the Burns trade is going to largely hinge on how Charlie pans out. Don't think we'll ever get much from Seto in any trade and Phillips has been underwhelming in Houston so far (but still has plenty of time to develop). At least Coyle doesn't have the ridiculous amount of hype that followed Granlund across the pond (no rookie needs that kind of added pressure).

Teddy10Beers is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  #878
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Because playing with Powe and Konopka is going to spark his goal scoring ability?
People are dumb. Obviously, playing with them won't spark his goal-scoring. That's not the point at all. The point is to tell him get your head out of your *** and step up your game because we need you to play a lot better than you have. Your play hasn't been cutting it. It's not a long term thing, it's simply sending a message.


That guy calling for Yeo's head and stuff...I hope you're joking. It's not that Yeo thinks Seto is a 4th line player, he's simply giving Seto a wake up call.


Not that hard to understand and nothing to get worked up about people.


It's obvious to me that the majority of posters never actually played a competitive sport...

TwInS1095 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
  #879
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
If true horrible. I give Yeo 2 weeks and his out of his job.
Holy overreaction batman.

Typical...

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:28 PM
  #880
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,245
vCash: 50
this seto thing has to be about attitude...he's been more effective than all the third and fourth liners but Bouchard (who i don't consider a third liner). if its attitude, you can bet he's out the door as soon as they can shove him just like the malcontents last year.

rynryn is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 09:31 AM
  #881
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 50
For tonight's game, Yeo better not scratch Konopka. He's played every game this year as best as he can, and has always tried to do his part to help the team.

I also do not see the point of putting wee Granlund on the freakin fourth line. Just scratch him and be done with it. Kid really just needs to go back to Houston and develop a little more, imo.

I would also like to see someone other than Heatley on top line, Butch would be my choice, hell, even Seto. Heatley is just too damned slow, and does not have good puck control. I like the guy, but I'm tired of seeing Parise jet off with the puck, followed by Koivu as he does his best to get into the o zone, theeeeen Heatley.

I like the guy, I do, but I really feel like he is slowing down that top line detrimentally. He's great on the power play, which is where most his goals come from anyways, so keep him there. He's not helping our 5v5 case.

DeuceMN is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  #882
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
sounds like Russo thinks 1 line will be broken up?

I'd do Parise-Koivu-Seto
Butch-Granlund-Heatley.
Ugh.

I love Heater, but he is not going to kick start anything. He's a finisher who hangs around the net. He's not going to open up space or draw defenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dynasty38 View Post
Zucker is more of an agitator and a better forechecker than Granlund right now. Granlund is too pretty and dosen't get dirty. With Setoguchi and Bouchard I think Zucker would be a good fit on line 2.
Only problem would be size along the boards and in the corners...Butch-Granny-Zucker is a tiny line. Average height maybe 5'8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I'm as big a fan of Larsson as anyone but I think his offensive potential will be developed more from playing in the AHL. He is stockier than Granlund but he gets knocked down too easily. He is smart, positionally sound, and good in the faceoff circle.

I could be (and would love to be) wrong in that his defensive play would allow him to be successful but I think he would have similar problems to Granlund without the ability to be a threat offensively.
Agreed 100%

Larsson should be penciled in on the third line for next year, I still think he has real top six upside. I'm the eternal optimist though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dynasty38 View Post
Seriously Jaykay. What has Koivu ever done to show you he is first line material? He is solid defensively and can win faceoffs. The first line is for you point getters not you solid 2 way forwards. Koivu is a natural 2nd liner not a first. He will never be an offensive juggernaut. The toddler Granlund is better suited on the first line than Koivu.
You know, I thought the same thing, but some time last year I did a statistical analysis of the top 30 centers in the NHL and Koivu was right there. Now, he's not an elite center like Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, etc, but he is definitely top 30. Especially when you factor in his defensive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
In case of doubts, always scratch Powe.

Even though, he did play a decent game in Anaheim.
I've been a big fan of Powe's play the last few games.

That's the wrong message to send. 2nd/3rd line isn't scoring, so let's scratch one of the few guys who shows up every shift as well as a top PK'er?

Nah.

Want to send a message, scratch Seto or Granlund. I'd probably scratch Seto first. See a fire lit under his ass.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #883
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 50
I have high hope that Larsson is skilled enough to take that 2c spot.

We already have Brodziak as our 3c, who fits the role just about perfectly. He does not quite have the skillset to be a good 2c however.

DeuceMN is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #884
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You know, I thought the same thing, but some time last year I did a statistical analysis of the top 30 centers in the NHL and Koivu was right there. Now, he's not an elite center like Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, etc, but he is definitely top 30. Especially when you factor in his defensive game.
Do you have a link to this, or can you post it again? I have viewed him as a middle of the pack 1st line center but would like to see where the numbers have him.

UMD05 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:00 AM
  #885
FVM
Screaming seagulls
 
FVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 739
vCash: 1301
Let's think one move ahead. What actually happens if the new look second line of Bouchard-Cullen-Coyle works really well and contributes on the scoreboard tonight? Will they send Granlund to Houston and plant Setoguchi to pressbox? Granlund has been bad but I'd like to see him given a chance with Coyle before demotion, personally.

FVM is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
  #886
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
Let's think one move ahead. What actually happens if the new look second line of Bouchard-Cullen-Coyle works really well and contributes on the scoreboard tonight? Will they send Granlund to Houston and plant Setoguchi to pressbox? Granlund has been bad but I'd like to see him given a chance with Coyle before demotion, personally.
I think its one or the other. Either Granlund is sent to Houston OR Setoguchi is in the press box. I don't see both happening.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
  #887
W75
Wegistewed Usew
 
W75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 50
Biggest problem is that Wild have 3 "coldish" centers. Cullen, Granlund and Brodziak. If only one of them had shined, then it wouldn't be so urgent to fix things. They could've given other guys more time to adapt and so on.

But when the whole team is underachieving behind the first line.. and there's no clear 2nd line or 2nd center. Yeo had to react sooner. Hopefully they find a way.

W75 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
  #888
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 16145
Hopefully. There is plenty of season left and we aren't in a hole. It can only get better.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  #889
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 1760
Granlund-Konopka-Setoguchi


What do people think about that? I kinda like it. Russo says that may be the line...

TwInS1095 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
  #890
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Veilleux.

Really not sure how hard it is to spell his name right.
It's another old WMB thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Huh, yes he definitely did.

Just check the link I posted.
Palmieri looked great in camp, thought he'd stick. He was sent down on the same day as a TON of other players to minimize the risk of him being claimed. It's more likely (but not guaranteed) that he'd be claimed if called up now, but with the Wild's contract limit, it might not be the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Per Russo

Cullen centering Bouchard and Coyle

Brodziak centering Clutterbuck and Mitchell

Setoguchi moved to fourth line with Powe and Konopka. Granlund not on regular line
Interesting lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Well I expect more from Clutter than hits.
Like his goal, or having twice as many shots as Seto, or killing penalties, or having almost 50% more hits? Clutter's been more effective EVERYWHERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
People are dumb. Obviously, playing with them won't spark his goal-scoring. That's not the point at all. The point is to tell him get your head out of your *** and step up your game because we need you to play a lot better than you have. Your play hasn't been cutting it. It's not a long term thing, it's simply sending a message.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
this seto thing has to be about attitude...he's been more effective than all the third and fourth liners but Bouchard (who i don't consider a third liner). if its attitude, you can bet he's out the door as soon as they can shove him just like the malcontents last year.
Not as effective as Clutterbuck, but I do wonder where his head is at, or has been the whole time here in Minny.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
  #891
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 1760
Yup powe is healthy scratch

TwInS1095 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
  #892
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD05 View Post
Do you have a link to this, or can you post it again? I have viewed him as a middle of the pack 1st line center but would like to see where the numbers have him.
I can't find it, but a quick run through hockey-reference.com, all stats are for centers from 2008-09 to 2011-12:

20th in total points
19th in points per game
12th in assists
17th in time on ice

The only part of his game that isn't top 30 is goal scoring:

41st in goals scored
60th in 5-on-5 goals
36th in PP goals
20th in shots taken
91st in shooting percentage

Even the big market biased HF Boards posters put Mikko top 30 (sometimes top 20)

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  #893
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Granlund-Konopka-Setoguchi


What do people think about that? I kinda like it. Russo says that may be the line...
I'm actually laughing at it. And not in a good way. That line can't be used as a shutdown line, so I say they'll get less than 10 mins of ice time. The former 4th line was able to do its job in a satisfactory manner, this line is useless in that role.

I know it's not permanent, but I'd actually like to win the game.

Gaps is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  #894
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Granlund-Konopka-Setoguchi


What do people think about that? I kinda like it. Russo says that may be the line...
It's fine for now. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over something that's highly unlikely to be permanent.

UMD05 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  #895
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
I don't like Powe getting scratched because the second liners aren't playing, but that's a pretty damn interesting line. I mean, real, real interesting.

I would like to see what Mitchell does with more ice time too.

Something has to give though. One of these lines HAS to break through tonight. It could just be the top line again, but hey.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
  #896
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I can't find it, but a quick run through hockey-reference.com, all stats are for centers from 2008-09 to 2011-12:

20th in total points
19th in points per game
12th in assists
17th in time on ice

The only part of his game that isn't top 30 is goal scoring:

41st in goals scored
60th in 5-on-5 goals
36th in PP goals
20th in shots taken
91st in shooting percentage

Even the big market biased HF Boards posters put Mikko top 30 (sometimes top 20)
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how his numbers trend after a year or two with Parise. Looking forward to putting "the ability of his linemates" argument to bed, one way or the other.

UMD05 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
  #897
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'm actually laughing at it. And not in a good way. That line can't be used as a shutdown line, so I say they'll get less than 10 mins of ice time. The former 4th line was able to do its job in a satisfactory manner, this line is useless in that role.

I know it's not permanent, but I'd actually like to win the game.
Fourth line = get pucks deep, give the other three lines a breather, don't give up goals

You can do those things with scorers as well as grinders. Just in a different way.

Now the "don't give up goals part"...

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  #898
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Palmieri looked great in camp, thought he'd stick. He was sent down on the same day as a TON of other players to minimize the risk of him being claimed. It's more likely (but not guaranteed) that he'd be claimed if called up now, but with the Wild's contract limit, it might not be the end of the world.
There are no re-entry waivers anymore.

llamapalooza is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:11 PM
  #899
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD05 View Post
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how his numbers trend after a year or two with Parise. Looking forward to putting "the ability of his linemates" argument to bed, one way or the other.
You can look up my name and see I savaged Koivu and called him a #2 or even #3 center in the past

But yeah when I looked at the numbers it surprised me.

It's all the goal scoring. Mikko puts up ~70 in the rare full season, but only 15-20 goals. He really is more of a playmaker and defensive center, but high end to elite in those categories.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:11 PM
  #900
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
There are no re-entry waivers anymore.
Ugh, it's going to take a while for all these new rules to sink in...

Jarick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.