HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Aceonfire*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Different skillsets, Flames don't need a Jenner type as much as they a Gaudreau home run. Jenner as great attributes and qualities to be power forward and the floor of being a 3rd line checker. But Gaudreau has the possibility of being a high end scoring forward, something Flames need more.

Granted I haven't seen Jenner much outside of WJC, but his statline doesn't scream scoring forward to me. In fact what I've seen from the WJC leads me to believe he may have issues scoring in the NHL and might be seen more as a bottom six guy than a top six. To me, the flames have a similiar player in Max Reinhart already, maybe with less power.
Jenner is tied for the league lead in goals scored in the OHL. With 6 of those on the PP. His role on team Canada was to shutdown guys like Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

At best he is a 2nd line center, but he would easily take the job away from Backlund or Stajan.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Where is that stat? I would imagine crushing Chara would be much more difficult than Nathan Gerbe.

Gerbe has yet to play a full season and probably won't. Yes smaller players can be "shifty", but so can guys like Sutton, Brown, Clutterbuck etc..
The closest comparable in the NHL to Gaudreau in terms of body type is Tyler Ennis, and he played a full 82 game season in his rookie year. From what I can tell, he has also yet to suffer a concussion at the NHL level as well.

---

I think this also goes to show what his value is since Ennis himself was a late first rounder. What you have to take into account however is that Ennis essentially had a year up on Gaudreau when he was drafted due to their respective birth dates. If Gaudreau had been eligible for the 2012 draft, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have been a late first round selection.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
When my team did my height and weight thing it listed me as 6'2", and I was only 5'11" 205. General rule of thumb is teams usually add 2 inches to your height and a couple of pounds.
If it's being added uniformly across the league, then who cares? The only way it would make a difference is if his measurements were overstated by a greater degree than other players

Old
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Aceonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Sutton is shifty? You must have the best dealer around.

Smaller targets are generally harder to hit than big ones. Smaller players are also generally shiftier since their center of balance is lower and they need to overcome much less inertia to move around and change direction. Not exactly rocket science.

Chara gets put on his ass every other game. He's impossible to miss if you're gunning for him and all you need is a little speed to knock him off balance.

Desharnais, St. Louis, Briere, Perreault never get crushed, usually other teams have to resort to holding and stick infractions to slow them down.
You need to watch more Sutton highlights...

You were saying.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no added value to trade for a local guy, really.

And he's worth more to Calgary because he has great potential but serious flaws. No need to trade him because you wouldn't get enough value to have it make sense to move him. This is not really a bad thing, but he's a guy you hold on to to see if he develops and can handle the AHL.
He would have a great potential but serious flaws to any other organization. that's not a reason why he worth more to Calgary.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
He would have a great potential but serious flaws to any other organization. that's not a reason why he worth more to Calgary.
Because he was drafted by them? Flames are seriously desperate for a couple home runs and having a homegrown one would be the icing on the cake. That's why he's more valuable to us than to anyone else. Not other team would be willing to give up what Feaster would ask, plain and simple.. Not sure why that's so hard to get.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:11 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

I don't think he has a ton of value as a complete boom or bust. Sure if one team was really high on him, they might try and get him in a trade while Calgary is trying to get something. But I doubt they make the phone call and actually inquire about him.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Because he was drafted by them? Flames are seriously desperate for a couple home runs and having a homegrown one would be the icing on the cake. That's why he's more valuable to us than to anyone else. Not other team would be willing to give up what Feaster would ask, plain and simple.. Not sure why that's so hard to get.
Thats a good reason!

Old
01-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Did you not hear about Briere getting a concussion last season? One doesn't get those from harsh language.
Yeah he also got hit hard on a line change by Ovechkin that one time. Briere also plays more in high traffic areas than 90% of the league, and is so effective there (in terms of both getting tons of offense and not getting injured very much) precisely because he's a small and shifty guy that defensemen can't cover him or take him out of the play.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
saillias

Quote:
Thats a good reason!
Yes, it is. He is not just an asset with value he is a human being and treated by the organization that drafted him as such.

By the way, your avatar is a pony.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Yes, it is. He is not just an asset with value he is a human being and treated by the organization that drafted him as such.

By the way, your avatar is a pony.
Its a little pony, her name is shell-Belle, she loves to spend hours along the shore, picking up the prettiest shells she can find. Don't ask her to pick a favorite, though, they're all to beautiful to choose from!

Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
You need to watch more Sutton highlights...

You were saying.
Danny Briere has been hit hard in his 14 year career? You have got to be kidding me.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:58 AM
palindrom

Yakupov for Gaudreau?

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
No offense to Gaudreau (who is a stud), but I don't see many teams lining up to trade the number 1 dman with him as the main piece.
I don't either. Someone else would be the main piece.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I don't either. Someone else would be the main piece.
Alrighty then

Old
01-04-2013, 02:42 AM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yeah he also got hit hard on a line change by Ovechkin that one time. Briere also plays more in high traffic areas than 90% of the league, and is so effective there (in terms of both getting tons of offense and not getting injured very much) precisely because he's a small and shifty guy that defensemen can't cover him or take him out of the play.
Right, but it really only takes one or two good hits to put you down especially when you're at that size and the injury can be magnified.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Right, but it really only takes one or two good hits to put you down especially when you're at that size and the injury can be magnified.
When has that ever been the case? Small guys are much less likely to get their careers destroyed by a bad hit than medium-large ones. They know how to keep their heads up better than anyone since they had to do it every second of their career. If you make it to the NHL as a small guy you've survived thousands of hours of bigger people gunning for your heads at every step.

Lindros is the poster boy for being put down by big hits and he wasn't exactly a small guy. St. Louis, Briere, Fleury, Gionta, Verbeek all had lengthy careers alive and kicking despite not exactly being perimeter players.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Johnnybegood13

People just don't get it, JD not only has superstar talent he has the big game mindset that few superstars even have,when the chips are down this "little guy" is unstoppable, he has shown this at every level of hockey since he was 10 years old.

At 11 he was playing against 13-14 year olds,at 13 he was with 15-16 year olds and so on. Barely an 18 year old freshman he won two NCAA MVP awards while leading his team to a championship. This kid has 11 MVP league awards in 8 years..we are talking crazy stuff here.

This "little" guy has done more than 95% of the so-called superstars ever dreamed of at his age and there's not one player in his draft year including RNH,Landeskog,Huberdeau..etc that have achieved more.

It's would take a huge brainfart to get him out of Calgary

Old
01-04-2013, 03:36 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Yakupov for Gaudreau?
No, Yakupov is a freaking flake,all the speed and talent won't change that.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:28 AM
dd91

Quote:
Yakupov for Gaudreau?
No way from Oilers.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Aceonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Danny Briere has been hit hard in his 14 year career? You have got to be kidding me.
His argument was that he never gets crushed, I proved a point. Sarcasm noted but not needed.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
No, Yakupov is a freaking flake,all the speed and talent won't change that.
Please tell me you aren't serious...

Old
01-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Anchor Town*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
People just don't get it, JD not only has superstar talent he has the big game mindset that few superstars even have,when the chips are down this "little guy" is unstoppable, he has shown this at every level of hockey since he was 10 years old.

At 11 he was playing against 13-14 year olds,at 13 he was with 15-16 year olds and so on.
Virtually every prospect that gets drafted has played up a year or two throughout their youth hockey careers so I'm not really sure what you're getting at

Old
01-04-2013, 06:04 AM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Virtually every prospect that gets drafted has played up a year or two throughout their youth hockey careers so I'm not really sure what you're getting at
Just ignore the rest of his post.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:54 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Yakupov for Gaudreau?
Hahaaaaah

Closed Thread