HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 05:57 PM
  #126
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Detroit is looking for help on the blueline. I would love for us to swing a deal with them and land Filppula somehow or even Franzen. I've always been a big Franzen supporter and no one can deny the fact that he's close to "pepe Lemieux" standards when it comes to being Mister clutch during the postseason.
Thought Detroit was done after signing Carlo Colaiacovo late in free agency. Nik Kronwall, Ian White, Kyle Quincey, Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, and Colaiacovo on one way contracts. Brendan Smith seems poised to earn a permanent spot.

Had a five day void last week without internet/TV at home. Watched a bunch of my unopened DVDs, one of which was the Don Cherry annual highlight DVD from the 2010-11 season. Chris Stewart had a few dazzling highlights but it seems like he's played his way off of two teams now. It'll be interesting to see what the Blues do with him.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  #127
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Thought Detroit was done after signing Carlo Colaiacovo late in free agency. Nik Kronwall, Ian White, Kyle Quincey, Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, and Colaiacovo on one way contracts. Brendan Smith seems poised to earn a permanent spot.

Had a five day void last week without internet/TV at home. Watched a bunch of my unopened DVDs, one of which was the Don Cherry annual highlight DVD from the 2010-11 season. Chris Stewart had a few dazzling highlights but it seems like he's played his way off of two teams now. It'll be interesting to see what the Blues do with him.
Colaiacovo is injured now. haha

He is a shocker.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
  #128
captainscott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,755
vCash: 500
i didn't get a chance to read all the comments....but i would say going into this season we have one of the most proven d corps in the league a good mixture of puck movers and stay at homes, rightys and lefties age and youth...this defense is the least of my concern.

and couple that with what looks to be an above average lot of centers when fully healthy im feeling pretty good about this team

the x factors:
will our goaltending tandem hold up?
do we have enough scoring punch in the top 6?

elias is going to be 37 by end of season and can no longer be considered an elite player. bobby butler has put up some good numbers in albany so he is a possibility to score, tedenby prob is not the answer.

i woiuld say make no moves early see where the team is after 15 games and go from there to see if we need to trade one of our young dmen for a scoring winger

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
  #129
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Colaiacovo is injured now. haha

He is a shocker.
Where's that colaiacovo.gif when I need it?

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
  #130
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
i didn't get a chance to read all the comments....but i would say going into this season we have one of the most proven d corps in the league a good mixture of puck movers and stay at homes, rightys and lefties age and youth...this defense is the least of my concern.

and couple that with what looks to be an above average lot of centers when fully healthy im feeling pretty good about this team

the x factors:
will our goaltending tandem hold up?
do we have enough scoring punch in the top 6?

elias is going to be 37 by end of season and can no longer be considered an elite player. bobby butler has put up some good numbers in albany so he is a possibility to score, tedenby prob is not the answer.

i woiuld say make no moves early see where the team is after 15 games and go from there to see if we need to trade one of our young dmen for a scoring winger
I would hope the move would be made by 10 games or by the time Henrique gets back unless we're above 500. It's a short season, and I wanna take no chances.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
  #131
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Helm would cost a lot and I doubt Detroit is looking to move him. I'd rather use assets to improve our top-six.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  #132
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Helm would cost a lot and I doubt Detroit is looking to move him. I'd rather use assets to improve our top-six.
Yeah I agree. We have more than enough forwards that could conceivably fill out a VERY serviceable bottom 6. I'm not sure I trust our potential top-6 to carry the load of the scoring right now, though. However, we WILL hopefully have a full season of Zidlicky and an improved Larsson, so maybe we won't be watching a completely anemic defense for once.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  #133
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Canes fans were content with a Volchenkov-for-Jokinen swap, IIRC

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:21 PM
  #134
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Canes fans were content with a Volchenkov-for-Jokinen swap, IIRC
Jokinen cannot be traded. He's injured until May.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:35 PM
  #135
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Canes fans were content with a Volchenkov-for-Jokinen swap, IIRC
We could probably get more than just Jokinen, but I'd take him. Good playmaker and good all around, and he likes to play rough sometimes (i.e. Finnish). He's a little small though and we're already loaded with average-sized forwards.

But apparently he's injured anyway so whatever.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
  #136
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I would hope the move would be made by 10 games or by the time Henrique gets back unless we're above 500. It's a short season, and I wanna take no chances.
I 100% agree. We can't afford to play the wait-and-see game in a shortened season.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:41 PM
  #137
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Jokinen cannot be traded. He's injured until May.
****. He was my favorite prospective acquisition.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
  #138
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
If the Canes are out of it early, Semin could be an intriguing thought.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Zubrus
Elias - Henrique - Semin

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
  #139
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
I 100% agree. We can't afford to play the wait-and-see game in a shortened season.
That's why I don't understand how in the hell anybody would want Parse near this team. Waste of a roster spot unless Janssen is sent to the AHL, or we dump Barch which would be pretty sweet. We need players that can bring some scoring. Parse has 2 points in 9 games.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
  #140
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
What about Tallinder for Abdelkader or Helm?
I'd do it, Holland wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Clarke MacArthur or Matt D'agostini
Both solid choices. I think the Blues fans liked the idea of Tallinder for D'Agostini.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  #141
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'd do it, Holland wouldn't.
I don't know, I think Holland would do Tallinder for Abdelkader in a heartbeat. The Wings are gonna be dying for defense this season and they have enough 3rd/4th line tweeners like Abdelkader. Tallinder isn't incredibly useful to the Devils, but I think a lot of teams would be a LOT better off with him on their second pairing.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
  #142
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Do you guys really think D'Agostini would be a difference maker? I see him mainly as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
  #143
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Do you guys really think D'Agostini would be a difference maker? I see him mainly as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Better than carrying around 8 defensemen which include 7 NHL defensemen, and 5 who would be very expensive healthy scratches. Tallinder for D'Agostini? Here's your plane ticket to St Louis, and a limo to the airport Hank!

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
  #144
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Better than carrying around 8 defensemen which include 7 NHL defensemen, and 5 who would be very expensive healthy scratches. Tallinder for D'Agostini? Here's your plane ticket to St Louis, and a limo to the airport Hank!
I agree, but I'd rather look at higher-profile options first.

D'Agostini, to me, is a fall-back option.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
  #145
HeliDevil
Legend
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
If the Canes are out of it early, Semin could be an intriguing thought.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Zubrus
Elias - Henrique - Semin
Yummy

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
  #146
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 34,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
I agree, but I'd rather look at higher-profile options first.

D'Agostini, to me, is a fall-back option.
If it's a guy soon to become UFA, and a high price player we might have to choose between him, and our guys. Or it could just be one more guy to walk that we have no chance at retaining, because they don't wanna be in Jersey.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
  #147
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose
 
PADevil3034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
With the Visnovsky news, the Islanders now desperately need a top-4 defenseman. I think there could be a deal there.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
  #148
HeliDevil
Legend
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
What do you guys think about Rolston?

But really I wonder who the takers for Tallinder would actually be. We have to find someone who didn't watch him much last year.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
  #149
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
**** it, I'd welcome Rolston back with open arms to play with Yayo and Clarkson on the 3rd line, or even reunite Geezer Line 1.0. He'd have to want to come cheap, though. With Boston, he looked as good as he has at any time in the last half decade.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  #150
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
With the Visnovsky news, the Islanders now desperately need a top-4 defenseman. I think there could be a deal there.
Could be a fit there. I subconsciously rule out dealing within the division, but it seems like Lou is on pretty good terms with Garth Snow. Without Visnovsky, I think they need a couple million to reach the cap floor. I did enjoy one downtrodden Islander fan's comment that they can reach the floor by rushing their rookies with inflated cap hits (Brock Nelson, Griffin Reinhart) to the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
But really I wonder who the takers for Tallinder would actually be. We have to find someone who didn't watch him much last year.
I was highly disappointed with him during the gong show period of the 2010-11 season, but I thought he was solid enough last season.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.