HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIII: A Change Is Gonna Come

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
The disclaimer is such a stupid move at this point, I honestly need someone to explain to me how and why it makes any sense.

The PA can't possible be stupid enough to think that the original DOI threat would ever hold up in court, especially with how the players themselves completely destroyed any case they had with their dumb comments. You'd think union leadership would have informed their constituents a little better as to what DOI was and how it could benefit them. But clearly, this was not the case.

Now? After they passed it up the first time around? It is so obvious that they are trying to use it for leverage in negotiations that the courts should fine the hell out of the NHLPA for wasting everyone's time and abusing labour laws. I wish they could somehow charge them with contempt too.

waffledave
Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I personally am not phased by any of the stuff going on right now with the vote for the disclaimer going down again. It's just a giant chess match. Both sides know they have made a bunch of progress. This is just Fehr making one last attempt to squeeze more out of the owners. At the end of the day I am 99.9% sure there will be a season. I think this thing gets settled sometime next week. My guess would be Monday.
No, no. The case is actually that the players are 700 reincarnations of Adolf Hitler and Gary Bettman needs to pull the plug to teach them a lesson for being such nasty little Hitlers.

Seriously, this board needs more posts like yours and less vitriol and doomsday BS. I find it incredible that the doomsday sayers are still here spewing their crap.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
The vote to give the power to the NHLPA executive board to use the disclaimer as started and will end Saturday at 6pm.
Haven't we gone through this? Why do we hear this crap over and over? Every lawyer quoted on this subject has said they don't need a vote for Fehr to stop representing them...yet here we are again...

Old
01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Jim Morrison

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardocAgain View Post
According to Forbes the Phoenix Coyotes are worth $130M. If they were bleeding money the way people here seem to believe they would be worth nothing. Why would someone pay $130M for something that loses them money. Think about this.
Franchise values are mostly made up of the arena's value or the arena lease value.

They are worth $130m because if the team folds you still have an expensive piece of real estate that can be used for a lot of things.

Old
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Okay, for clarification that is not the ONLY option for the league. But any options that include fewer markets is a path to a much different NHL. There could be a 20 team league, but team values and league revenues are going to be a lot lower. If the goal is growth and making as much money as possible, then yes a national footprint with 30+ teams is the only way to get there.
I disagree. Revenue may be lower with a 20 team league, but profits would likely be higher. Obviously the goal of any business is to increase income as opposed to gross revenue...

Old
heartsabres*

Quote:
According to Forbes the Phoenix Coyotes are worth $130M. If they were bleeding money the way people here seem to believe they would be worth nothing. Why would someone pay $130M for something that loses them money. Think about this.
How much does it cost to buy a franchise fee from the NHL? Now add assets on top of that.....along with some other values and even though a franchise loses money it stil has value.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:37 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Are they actually pulling out the DoI again? What happened in the 8 hours that I was asleep?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan

Belief within PA that Bettman/Batterman pulled bait and switch after initial disclaimer deadline passed.

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/sta...79362987851776

Old
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The disclaimer is such a stupid move at this point, I honestly need someone to explain to me how and why it makes any sense.

The PA can't possible be stupid enough to think that the original DOI threat would ever hold up in court, especially with how the players themselves completely destroyed any case they had with their dumb comments. You'd think union leadership would have informed their constituents a little better as to what DOI was and how it could benefit them. But clearly, this was not the case.

Now? After they passed it up the first time around? It is so obvious that they are trying to use it for leverage in negotiations that the courts should fine the hell out of the NHLPA for wasting everyone's time and abusing labour laws. I wish they could somehow charge them with contempt too.
The threat of the unknown is still scary for any pro sports league. The actual impact for the NHL is unknown, they did seem to move a bit towards the players while the threat existed the last little while and if the reports are true, they seem to be moving away a little bit today now that it's gone.

Also, Bettman coming out and saying the threat of it was never brought up to the NHL does help the NHLPA's case that it wasn't used as simply a threat. Either way, the threat is the total unknown, even if we think we have a reasonable idea of what will happen, if the NHL were to lose it would be catastrophic.

Old
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
They won't, they'll pay in the range of 90/95m.

Old
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yeah coulda put that in your original comment to me.
"Pensions are important, but some of those guys are clinging to their last chance at money too hard."

Somehow you know the older players are clinging to these pensions, but not really, you're just making it up. And we should somehow know this.

Ok.

Old
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post
Belief within PA that Bettman/Batterman pulled bait and switch after initial disclaimer deadline passed.

This is going to end well

Old
heartsabres*

Quote:
Franchise values are mostly made up of the arena's value or the arena lease value.

They are worth $130m because if the team folds you still have an expensive piece of real estate that can be used for a lot of things.
what??? You think the leafs are worth $1,000,000,000 because of their arena?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum View Post

Yeah not surprised, players aren't all that bright.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Don't believe anything you read on twitter until it's from respectable people and has the words. Deal done.

The DOI isn't necessarily a bad thing because it'll force the NHL to get a deal done sooner rather than later otherwise they risk losing the season and they'll be vilified for that.

Old
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
"Pensions are important, but some of those guys are clinging to their last chance at money too hard."

Somehow you know the older players are clinging to these pensions, but not really, you're just making it up. And we should somehow know this.

Ok.
Figuring the players taking part in discussion, it looks as that is the case.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
what??? You think the leafs are worth $1,000,000,000 because of their arena?
Where in the world did I say that?

Old
schabadoo

Quote:
Do they own anything tangible? Arena/parking/etc?

Old
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Don't believe anything you read on twitter until it's from respectable people and has the words. Deal done.

The DOI isn't necessarily a bad thing because it'll force the NHL to get a deal done sooner rather than later otherwise they risk losing the season and they'll be vilified for that.
No way man, it's common knowledge if a DoI is filed the season is toast. I know it worked in other cases but this situation is entirely unique. Not happening.

Old
hankdank

Quote:
It's an investment. Any owner of the Phoenix Coyotes would be bleeding money at this moment, even with a season. That's not up for debate, it's just the truth of the matter.

Old
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

So now what happens? I've read bits, and pieces on the court thing today. They have to settle by Monday? Can someone give me a brief rundown please? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Old
01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
stug*

**** like this would never happen in the KHL.
If the players would do anything like this they would have been kicked out of the country and all their possessions seized.

May not be pretty but atleast they get **** done over there

Old
Beats By CoRD
Irrelevant Ferkland

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Old
heartsabres*

Quote:
Where in the world did I say that?
Read your post dude....

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Franchise values are mostly made up of the arena's value or the arena lease value

Closed Thread