HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada Part 2

Old
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 876
Watching the game now. Hopefully Canada wipes the floor (or resurfaces the ice, I guess) with Russia.

01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Even though the score was 3-0 and Canada was playing terribly, that save on Strome by Gibson was one huge turning point. We've seen in the past that Canada can come back in ANY game so letting Canada get any momentum at that play in time would've sparked a comeback, no doubt about that.

Also you can't blame Subban for this lost, he was screened on both McCabe goals and the Canadian defense should've never let the third to happen.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
The USA has come a long way in hockey since the 1980 olympics.
If there had been WJC in the mid-70's with the best US players availlable you would have noticed
some very good players with birthdates from 1954 on.

1954 - Gary Sargent - Dave Langevin
1955 - Mark Howe - Mike O 'Connell - Steve Jensen
1956 - Reed Larson - Tom Rowe - Ken Morrow -Mike Fidler - Bob Miller
1957 - Rod Langway - Joe Mullen- Mark Johnson - Tom Gorence - Jack O 'Callahan
1958 - Steve Christoff - Mark Pavelich - Dave Silk - Chris Nilan

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Also Bardreau is having one hell of a tournament, different has been the best dark horse player.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
CSimpson18

The US played the way I always hope/expect Canada to play in the WJC. High energy, flawless passing, relentless forecheck. A remarkable performance. Congrats to all the American fans, and full marks for a dominating victory.

I haven't watched much of Sweden but I'd have to imagine with another effort similar to todays by the US, gold will be going back down south.

That said, I'm not going to panic as a Canadian. I just hope we get our **** together next year, this team seemed underwhelming from day 1.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Even though the score was 3-0 and Canada was playing terribly, that save on Strome by Gibson was one huge turning point. We've seen in the past that Canada can come back in ANY game so letting Canada get any momentum at that play in time would've sparked a comeback, no doubt about that.

Also you can't blame Subban for this lost, he was screened on both McCabe goals and the Canadian defense should've never let the third to happen.
But isn't it reasonable to expect your goalie at this level to make stellar saves in big games? Expecting nothing more than pedestrian outings from goalies when the games matter most seems like a cop-out to me.

If the Americans had gotten nothing but ordinary saves out of Gibson vs. Canada, they may not have moved on.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Saintpatrick

Great game by the US. This loss is on everyone involved with Team Canada from the coach on down. Terrible puck management by Canada turning the puck over time after time. Sub par goal tending from Canada throughout the tournament with the exception of the first game vs the US and Russia. I can't help but think if Binnington was given more of a fair shake he would have won the starting job.

I guess we can all second guess Spott for alot of things but you gotta hand it to Team USA they were great and were all over Team Canada. I'll be rooting for them tomorrow vs Sweden.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reinhart

I can't speak for all Canadians, only for myself as a Canadian hockey fan.

It is evident that the USA has joined the elite of hockey. Though of course there will be up and down years, they will from now on be constantly one of the 'contenders' out there, and some of their players will be amongst the best - some years, they will have the top players.

Most Canadians are resentful of that... myself included. Not only is it because this is 'our sport', but also because.. well.. the USA generally starts to take over with time. I always thought the international tournaments were a "Canada vs Russia" thing. I always cheered for Canada, and the times they were out, I would cheer for the enemy - Russia. Why? To keep with the tradition. To keep with the spirit of the times as the 'best vs best'.

Sweden and Finland were always 'loved' by me as well, as the 'good-natured underdogs who you always admired, even if they won. The Czechs were always in the mix, and have for a long time produced some of the most entertaining players in the NHL, and they were never cheered against unless they played Canada.

Well, all I have to say is.. away with tradition, and welcome Team USA to the "old boys club". Though Canada will most assuredly be consistently favored to win, or at the very least, one of the top 3 contenders on a bad year, no longer is this tournament between 2 super-powers, and 'the rest'. This tournament (and likely most international competitions from now on) will be much more competitive and interesting from now on for most countries representing.

Canada, Russia, Finland, USA, Sweden and perhaps if they get their development on track again, Czech Republic will all keep this tournament more entertaining. We have also witnessed the rise of Switzerland this year. Germany is on the brink of turning a corner by the looks of it. Latvia and Slovakia - I think they are seemingly improving their own programs.

I used to look at the USA joining the hockey elite as a negative. Well, it makes things a lot more interesting after-all, and I am now glad that the USA is firmly in the mix (and quite honestly, has been firmly in the mix for some time).

Congratulations not only for this game, but for working on creating a winning development program that should continue to bear fruit for years to come. This was a well-played game, you out-competed Canada in ever facet today, and you were very enjoyable to watch.

For any of you that take this as a 'monarch looking down at his subjects' type of post, it is not meant to be as such. The only way this game is going to keep growing, is if more countries continue to improve and more players continue to represent in the NHL.

P.S. Next year we will get our revenge.

Good luck to both the USA and Sweden on Saturday. I am not sure who I will cheer for (even though my NHL team has 3 prospects on the USA roster, and zero on Sweden), but I am just excited to watch another entertaining game.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews were roommates for a few years.
I don't get the impression that Kane and Toews actually get along that well off the ice.

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But isn't it reasonable to expect your goalie at this level to make stellar saves in big games? Expecting nothing more than pedestrian outings from goalies when the games matter most seems like a cop-out to me.

If the Americans had gotten nothing but ordinary saves out of Gibson vs. Canada, they may not have moved on.
I agree that Subban should've stopped at least the third goal to keep Canada in the game and maybe as a momentum booster, but what is he supposed to do on the first two?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

Exactly if Subban had played half as good as Gibson the outcome may have been different. He was screened on two of those goals yes but the other two were soft and he should have saved them.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:15 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Now look what you've done, the fuzz showed up!!

It's kinda funny how these two countries are such hated rivals on the ice but are best friends in pretty much every other way as we saw in that Tom Brokaw video.
I mean, it's the only sport we're really competitive in when you think about it. It makes sense that hockey is what brings out the competitive spirit in our athletes and fans. As much as I'm a USA homer in every international tournament that will ever take place, my trip through Canada was one of the best times I ever had in my life and I'd realistically consider moving there if I didn't live in New York

district9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I agree that Subban should've stopped at least the third goal to keep Canada in the game and maybe as a momentum booster, but what is he supposed to do on the first two?
Subban didn't have to stop everything. But if he shut the door at 2 goals instead of throwing up his hands in exasperation in a still-winnable game, Canada still has a good chance to come back.

We need a goalie with the composure to ride out the tough times and make the momentum saves.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OnTheRoad10AtHOme View Post
I don't get the impression that Kane and Toews actually get along that well off the ice.
They are good pals...even signed the exact same contract a few years back.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:42 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
That was the most impressive game I have ever seen by an American team.
I am dissappointed and discouraged at the embarrassing effort of the Canadian players.

Seems the Americans were playing for the name on the front of their sweaters and the Canadians for the name on the back of theirs.
Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbqAxIHprfw

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
That goes against everything I've ever heard but I'm not really in the lockerroom or know them so kind of doesn't matter.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 01-04-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: off topic
Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
I mean, it's the only sport we're really competitive in when you think about it. It makes sense that hockey is what brings out the competitive spirit in our athletes and fans. As much as I'm a USA homer in every international tournament that will ever take place, my trip through Canada was one of the best times I ever had in my life and I'd realistically consider moving there if I didn't live in New York
As a New Yorker I second that. Been to Toronto and Montreal twice and if I lived anywhere but NY, I would move to Canada (probably MTL)

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:56 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

The game made Sports Center on ESPN.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
The day off hurt us. But the US looked like they wanted it way more than. Everybody from their goaltenders to their forwards were played outstanding. We need to stop hiring inexperienced coaches at this tournament. The biggest mismatch the past three years has been behind the bench. I have no idea why we went with a goof like Spott.
It would be an interesting statement in most years, but maybe most alarming is Spott was outcoached by a high school coach today. Maybe Housley proves to be more, but we aren't talking about some long successful NCAA coach handing it to him.

Pretty damaging stuff and whatever buttons he was pushing didn't work today. Hard to evaluate a coach over all on just this short tournament or game, but pretty easy for everyone to guess there are better choices in the CHL or currently not coaching that would have taken the gig. Thought their coaching staff had very rough game, very little answers and clearly not a big calming influence when things didn't go right out of the gate today. It has happened to some of the greatest coaches, but he knows what he signed up for and the harsh criticism that follows this tournament. He has been rightly called out for a subpar coaching performance.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Toews and Kane are probably the closest friends of any two Blackhawks, save maybe Keith and Seabrook.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 AM
WarriorofTime

USA Hockey has come a long way. 300 million strong, it's good for hockey if USA can be good in this tournament and beat Canada more than once a decade.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:11 AM
DarthYenik

Dang. I missed the game.

Sounds like the boys had a hell of a game.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:11 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

If Canada had more than one defenseman who knew how to, you know, play defense, things would have been different. Seriously, watching blown coverage after blown coverage was embarrassing to watch. That said, terrific games by the yanks, amazing to watch really

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
IceHockey19

While watching TSN.ca I can't understand what players say in their after game interviews. But I can read in English easily.

Is there any site with subtitles, or just text, or transcripts of interviews? I want to learn to understand while listening english.

IceHockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHockey19 View Post
While watching TSN.ca I can't understand what players say in their after game interviews. But I can read in English easily.

Is there any site with subtitles, or just text, or transcripts of interviews? I want to learn to understand while listening english.
This could maybe help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwdM8mBUxjM

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3g51xfopIE (there's a button right below the video player that shows an interactive transcript if you click on it)

or search Youtube for a good audiobook that has subtitles.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phby-n7vJuk

Last edited by WaltWhitman: 01-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.
WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote