HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Really radical NHL change/proposal

Old
01-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Greasy Sliders

vCash: 500
Really radical NHL change/proposal

I know this is a (very extreme) long shot but, what if , the league switched to a two teired system, almost like euro leagues.

This way they can expand into more markets making either a 32 or 34 team league. (Two 16 or 18 team levels)

To start, you could either drop the smallest markets into the bottem level , or do a lottery (not sure how that would go down with some teams).

But like the euro leagues , have the top x amount of teams from tier II move to tier I, and the x amount of worst teams from tier I move down to tier 2.

Unsure how the draft would work , but what's your opinion on this ? A longshot possibility ?

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

No yelling on the ice

Black ice and white puck

No puck use a tennis ball

Score is measured in new friends and who has the most fun

You can use the right stick to alter your skating control for a real life feeling

You can choose big head mode before the game and if you do all the players have huge heads

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:28 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
I know this is a (very extreme) long shot but, what if , the league switched to a two teired system, almost like euro leagues.

This way they can expand into more markets making either a 32 or 34 team league. (Two 16 or 18 team levels)

To start, you could either drop the smallest markets into the bottem level , or do a lottery (not sure how that would go down with some teams).

But like the euro leagues , have the top x amount of teams from tier II move to tier I, and the x amount of worst teams from tier I move down to tier 2.

Unsure how the draft would work , but what's your opinion on this ? A longshot possibility ?
It would never work. Who wants to tell the owners, who paid 100's of millions of dollars for their team that they are going to relegated? there would be a lineup outside the courthouse.

How do bad teams get better quickly? No free agents will want to go to a relegated team. No soon to be free agents would want to stay with a relegated team. It would be a total disaster.

Want to fix it?

Blow it up. Contract or relocate teams in bad markets.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Mouse21*

absolutely would never work, ever (under any circumstances), in north america.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
I see this being proposed from fans from NA from time to time. The thing is, your whole sports system is different from most systems in Europe.

We don't have owners buying their teams into the major leagues. Most clubs here are non-profitable, and it's typically parents to players that takes care of everything (coaching, taking care of the facilities, working in the candy stand during games etc.).

Obviously, once a team is higher up in the system and have money, they'll employ people. But if Modo were to be relegated from the SEL to division 3 (tier 5) in a few years and lose all it's money, the club would likely still live on in the hands of volunteers (parents and other enthusiasts living in the area). So even if some teams are profitale, it's all grounded through a voluntary system.

For this to work in the U.S, you'd have to change the way the teams are owned, how teams between different leagues are affiliated with eachother, and probably delete school teams entirely before starting up these 'voluntary' organizations.

I know you only proposed the NHL to be divided into two tiers. But I don't think you can do that without changing the system completely on all levels, because the change you're proposing would still affect everyone else (the AHL becoming the 3rd best league, the ECHL the 4th and so on all the way down to your lowest levels).

Last edited by Elvs: 01-04-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
For this to work in the U.S, you'd have to change the way the teams are owned, how teams between different leagues are affiliated with eachother, and probably delete school teams entirely before starting up these 'voluntary' organizations.
Pretty much this. The very fundamental basis of sports ownership would have to change.

Also, on a pragmatic level, think of what it would mean to have markets like Hershey and Binghamton in the NHL. That doesn't solve anything.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
marioni

I like the Euro system. No team will ever tank in Europe, because instead of being rewarded with #1 draft pick for losing, they'd be relegated to lower tier.

But, it wouldnt ever work in NA...

Last edited by marioni: 01-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.
marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
That's better than the "relegate to AHL" buffoonery. I'll give you that!

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

On one hand, I hate it. It would negatively impact my team, and I don't think the idea is a solid one.

On the other hand, this would immediately drop the following teams to the second level:
- Toronto
- Edmonton
- Montreal
- Minnesota
- Winnipeg

Just to hear the sheer amount of crying from those areas about how awful it is to be relegated should immediately put the idea to bed. It's another backdoor way of relegating "the places that I don't think deserve a team" into a separate league, where certain places don't have to associate with us.

Perhaps we should have separate bathrooms and drinking fountains too.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
I like the Euro system. No team will ever tank in Europe, because instead of being rewarded with #1 draft pick for losing, they'd be relegated to lower tier.

But, it wouldnt ever work in NA...
Do they even have drafts in Europe? Thought they just signed players as kids into their systems?

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
You could have put this info in your subject line and saved me 30 seconds.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
AUAIOMRN

Ah yes, another "make hockey like soccer" thread. Not as "radical" as you think unfortunately.

Soccer is like it is because it HAS to be, not because it's BETTER. The sport is so big that leagues actually have to compete with each other.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
What the hell is this? You can't do this in North America let alone NHL. Owners would be raging and no one would wanna sign to relegated teams. Why don't we bring the AHL teams up to the NHL while we're at it

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Ah yes, another "make hockey like soccer" thread. Not as "radical" as you think unfortunately.

Soccer is like it is because it HAS to be, not because it's BETTER. The sport is so big that leagues actually have to compete with each other.
Hockey leagues have relegation in Europe...

The professional sport culture is too different for this to work in NA however. Although this would force the owners to ice as competitive team as they can every year in the best league in the world which would be a positive thing.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote