HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Am I interpreting this wrong, or is the PA trying to intentionally cancel games?

I guess I understand what they're after (same paychecks, less work), but WOW do the optics look bad on that.
The way I interpret it is that the PA feels 1/19 is not the latest the NHL is willing to start. In other words someone convinced them that they have some time left.

In May, Fehr will persuade them to think a season could still get underway.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So if it fits your narrative it's true but if not, then its a lie. Good stuff.
No, and based on what you have written I wouldn't expect you to understand. I did not say whether it was true or not. What I am saying is based on the source of the quote it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
not exactly, I think they are saying the deadline is false. They can get still get a 42 game season and it will give more time to the Fehr brothers to squeeze more for the players.
Ah, I see.

Needless to say, that would be a hell of a risk to take considering the radioactive fallout if they're wrong.

Old
Renbarg

Also, somebody posted this last night and its a really good resource for those of us who are not twitter users: https://twitter.com/eric_hobeck/lockout-reporters.

Old
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
The way I interpret it is that the PA feels 1/19 is not the latest the NHL is willing to start. In other words someone convinced them that they have some time left.

In May, Fehr will persuade them to think a season could still get underway.

I wish I could see the look on the players faces when Bettman cancels the season on January 12th. (if he really does it)

Old
StevensCakeBakerBacker

This whole "NHL trying to slide one by the players" regarding HRR is total nonsense. A negotiating tactic, nothing more. The players should be pissed at their union for missing something so important, but they aren't because it's a fraud claim.

Also, I don't think the DoI is as big a threat as the PA, or a lot of posters here, think it is; it would be if most of the NHL franchises were making money, but they aren't (even if they are, the return is not enough to justify the investment). I do not believe that the owners, backed by God knows how many legal Eagles, were under the impression that if they got past the filing date for the PAs DoI that they could have their way during negotiations.

The owners are two steps ahead of the PA.

Last edited by StevensCakeBakerBacker: 01-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 08:35 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
not exactly, I think they are saying the deadline is false. They can get still get a 42 game season and it will give more time to the Fehr brothers to squeeze more for the players.
This is alarming if true, honestly. Let's say they decide to test the deadline and it is true. Season is gone and they are trying to call Bettman to save a 30 game season. Dangerous game of chicken.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
njdevil26

I am not bothering myself with this CRAP today. The only thing I will say is this... If the PA thinks that they can still manage a season of under 48 games as long as they keep squeezing the league and holding off..... I hope Jan 10 or 11th comes and Bettman pulls the plug and says "Go **** YOURSELF and don't call me until June."

Old
01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
This is alarming if true, honestly. Let's say they decide to test the deadline and it is true. Season is gone and they are trying to call Bettman to save a 30 game season. Dangerous game of chicken.
this whole thing has been giant game of chicken since the beginning, we are just getting close to the real danger part of it now......

If the NHL does not cancel the season on January 12th, Then the players will not believe anything going forward, no deadlines will matter at all cause they know the NHL will simply push it back again.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
ODCapital74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Also, somebody posted this last night and its a really good resource for those of us who are not twitter users: https://twitter.com/eric_hobeck/lockout-reporters.
Thanks for promoting that, man. (I'm the guy that made it btw)

Old
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
ok so they agreed to put things back the way they were, so lets keep our panties in a bunch and not try and make a deal and lose a full season worth of salaries. that makes sense.

was it sneaky? yeah for sure, but i know if i had a couple million on the line id put that aside for a little bit and put my best foot forward to getting the rest of the deal done. once these primadonna's realize that, they'll get it done
Right and when someone tries to pull a fast one during a deal, it is human nature to then be skeptical. The same could be said about the cry-baby owners. The $60 vs $65MM cap is NOT something for which they should be crying considering in the end they are going to get the same amount of $. Leave the salary floor at $44MM and get it done.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
HugginThePost

Forget how little interest in the NHL there is in Texas. Listening to the radio on the way into work and they talked about everything from the BCS games to high school basketball. At the very end of the segment the NHL was discussed.

"For all you NHL fans out there...(much laughter)...who are we kidding there are no NHL fans out there...the strike is ongoing". Brakes away to the anchorman..."Is it even a real sport?...(much laughter)....Now to weather, John."

So depressing

Old
01-04-2013, 08:42 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
@JKTHN: Other persistent rumors: PA feels season of fewer than 48 G still in play (42?). And that PA may still try to get slice of future exp. fees.

https://twitter.com/jkthn/status/287198888501334019
Season or no season, I'm good either way. If there's one thing that I really want out of all this though, it's that for January 11th to be the last day of negotiation. Make it a 30 game schedule, I don't care. Just negotiations hopefully end at 12 midnight, Saturday January 12th.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:43 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
this whole thing has been giant game of chicken since the beginning, we are just getting close to the real danger part of it now......

If the NHL does not cancel the season on January 12th, Then the players will not believe anything going forward, no deadlines will matter at all cause they know the NHL will simply push it back again.
Hope they pull the trigger on the 11th then.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
So the owners prop up/subsidize, what is it 6-11 franchises that make no money every year (Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix, Islanders, Florida, Hurricanes, Blues) almost every year? They then have the nerve to try to hide some money away? How dare they.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/an-ov...ms-conclusion/

How about the league just folds 4 or 5 those teams and the union losses about 200 jobs?

I really have a hard time being on the players side when I can see this logic and the players can't.
Actually, this post is very illogical, so it is kind of funny that you claim you can see the logic.

Whose fault is it they are "propping up" failing franchises? Whose fault is it they moved into the sun belt? Whose fault is it they make it so difficult to move franchises? Oh right, the players. Let the league try to fold 4 teams, they would have to buy back the franchises and it would take them 50 years to recoup that money.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
@SunGarrioch The #NHLPA will meet with the mediator this morning. No full bargaining scheduled with #NHL at this juncture.

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/stat...03314834239488

Old
01-04-2013, 08:47 AM
marioni

Quote:
You're right... but what I don't get is what gives players the idea that Bettman isnt serious?

Old
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Right and when someone tries to pull a fast one during a deal, it is human nature to then be skeptical. The same could be said about the cry-baby owners. The $60 vs $65MM cap is NOT something for which they should be crying considering in the end they are going to get the same amount of $. Leave the salary floor at $44MM and get it done.
Even if the owners tried to pull a "fast one", wouldn't the same also be said about Fehr and sneaking in his de-linking in different ways?

If the "fast one" is true, than the PA is toast since they weren't aware enough to find it until a weeks time had passed...

Old
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Typical. So we are just to make up what we want to believe at this point? I'm not sure that's the best way to discuss. We aren't in the meetings so there will ALWAYS be a gray area. All we can do is go off what we hear.

So a blatant lie for no reason when it was already cleared up? Come on, now. No room for conspiracy theories.
Oh please, the majority of this site is so jaded in their view that they take everything that is written to show support for the owners or against the players as gospel. Are you telling me a LEAGUE OFFICIAL doesn't have reason to lie in support of the owners side?

The point is, it MIGHT have been highlighted, it might not have been highlighted. However, just because a TWEET that quotes a league official says it was highlighted, doesn't mean it was anymore than a TWEET quoting Fehr or anyone on the players side says it wasn't highlighted.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Suntouchable13

Just deadline chasers, pathetic!

Old
01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
I just hope one way or another there's some closure/clarity come January 11th. Either get an agreement or cancel the whole thing. Don't want to see this dragged out any further.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:50 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

RenLavoieRDS (Renaud Lavoie)
Mediator will be at NHLPA hotel this morning. Mediator should meet with the NHL after. NHL CBA talks not schedule yet.

http://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/stat...08814124601347

Old
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
i agree about the floor. its a transition fix for one season, don't see the big deal with that.

the players don't have to trust gary bettman as other people have said though. i've said all along, players should get a set of nuts between their legs and call out their owner if they really have a problem. not gary.

the guys they do trust should have caught it

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:

This second paragraph is why I absolutely don't believe this is a false deadline. It's an easy argument to make in theory cause last time the deadline was mid February. In reality though it's a stupid game of Russian Roulette with innocent people's livelihoods and jobs at stake.

I also hope Bettman tells them to **** themselves on the 10th if they're really willing to play that Russian Roulette.

Old
T-Funk

Quote:
Do we have any indication yet what exactly this "fast one" was? Something about hiding hockey revenue and its punishment, but what was the specific change?

A 65million dollar cap is the potential for money above 50% HRR
It's very unlikely it happens, but 65 million times 30 teams is more than 50% of 3.3billion. In fact, 60million times 30 teams is more than 50% of 3.3 billion already. So what are the players complaining about? HRR will also not be 3.3billion next year, no way.

Closed Thread