HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
What are his qualifications?
Majored in economics at princeton, with his big thesis paper being on a labor dispute going on at the time.

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
The NHL has held firm on all deadlines so I hope they dont think they can push this past the 11th!!
The NHL hasn't held firm on 'anything' yet, that's the problem. The October offer that would only get worse? It didn't. The December offer where everything talked about was off the table? It came back on now, with more besides. The 'hill to die on' got a bit higher.

Old
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Why bring it up while the league was actually negotiating for the first time? I'm sure the lawyers found this sooner but they didn't want to derail talks.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me. What would they have done if the talks hadn't gone "off the rails", and both sides had come to the point that they were ready to sign an agreement in principle?

"Hey guys, I know it is the 11th hour and you are ready to sign the CBA and get back to work...but before you do that you might want to know that a little while ago we noticed this little change in that document they sent to us over a week ago..."

If I were a player that either comes across as gross incompetence or willfully holding back vital information that would been a lot more helpful at the time it came to light. Either way, I would be irate.

Old
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not sure if any team has been accused, but logic says with stiffer penalties it is less likely teams would try. Would you seriously put it past any team to cook the books?

Why aren't the 4 players qualified? Not sure on the other 3, but Parros did go to Princeton. They do not admit stupid people.
Who is more qualified to negotiate a labour agreement...hockey players or labour lawyers(and the NHLPA has the resources to hire the best so that's not even a question) regardless of where they went to Univ?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
ODCapital74

Quote:
Report: NHL season to be cancelled Thursday if no deal by then... http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/4e85ba9...source=twitter
https://twitter.com/adater/status/287219342985265152

Old
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Majored in economics at princeton, with his big thesis paper being on a labor dispute going on at the time.
Thanks. Didn't know if he had actually done stuff related to this or his qualification was "going to Princeton."

Old
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
workedforme

When are the buyouts going to happen? Before a shortened season or after?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I somewhat agree on some Parts of this, but it seems odd that you highlight Parros as one of the "unqualified". If any player is qualified to be there, it's him.
I just posted the names I could remember and the "et al" term implies that I was referring to the entire group. And I said "under qualified" not unqualified. I meant no disrespect. I just feel that they would be better represented by professionals in an endeavour of this size and importance.

Last edited by Lorenzo1000: 01-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000 View Post
Who is more qualified to negotiate a labour agreement...hockey players or labour lawyers(and the NHLPA has the resources to hire the best so that's not even a question) regardless of where they went to Univ?
But, you are acting like they are doing this on their own, they are not. The hired the best labor negotiator in the world to help them.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
BK201

Alfie was on Ottawa radio this morning and basically said part of the reason this is going so bad is that the first proposal the owners sent them was sooooo bad they are actually still pissed off about it.

He didn't say that directly but that in a nutshell.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
It doesn't just have to be 1 guy, that was just the example. Let's say a team is at $59MM and has room for 2 more players, that is $3MM each. It basically, helps the mid-level salary guys.

The top guys are going to get hit the hardest in escrow in terms of actual $, the bottom guys are going to get close to the minimum regardless of the numbers. Where it helps is the guys in the middle. At a $60MM cap, a middle of the road guy might get $2MM. With each team having an extra $5MM to spend, it could easily move him up to $3MM. They would need to lose at least 33% on escrow in order for that player to lose out. If they were losing 33% at $65MM, they are certainly going to be losing money at $60MM.
Honestly - this is the what happens with no rollback. A salary rollback doesn't necessarily help the owners (because each team has an overall salary budget), but it helps more fairly allocate the salary between NHLPA members with existing contracts and the RFA/UFA's after the new cap. The NHLPA seems to be counting on the owners taking advantage of the amnesty buy-out's to create cap space to pay them more $'s.

I totally agree that that this is a totally bogus issue to hold the negotiations up for. Have the greater differential between the cap and the floor for 1 season and be done with it. The league didn't seem to get too worked up over the Islanders having Niederrieter doing nothing on the roster solely because he had a $3+M cap hit with his bonuses. How did that help the "competitive balance" of the league?

In any event, the % difference between the PA proposed cap/floor of $67M/$44M is still a significantly smaller % than under the first year of the previous CBA when the cap/floor was $39M/$23M. Don't see what is magical about the $16M "spread". The "spread" should always have been based on a % basis rather than a fixed dollar amount because the % differential shrinks as revenues increase.

Old
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I think he will.
Fehr told the baseball players the league would never cancel the world series and told the NHL players that the league would not let the winter classic go.

Now his greatest test-is he really going to get all these players to let him go past the deadline and lose the season-so now he a can go after the cap etc-or will there be dissension in the ranks?

You would think they would have caught on about how they have been played,if they haven't this last manufactured flap over HRR made it perfectly clear.

Old
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Alfie was on Ottawa radio this morning and basically said part of the reason this is going so bad is that the first proposal the owners sent them was sooooo bad they are actually still pissed off about it.

Well I'm still pissed off that realignment didn't go through.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:48 AM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The NHL hasn't held firm on 'anything' yet, that's the problem. The October offer that would only get worse? It didn't. The December offer where everything talked about was off the table? It came back on now, with more besides. The 'hill to die on' got a bit higher.
They have canceled everything when they said they would!! 82 Game schedule was pulled when they said it would, Winter Classic canned when they said it would etc. Thursday is coming quick time for the PA to stop playing games becuase the season will be cancelled Thursday!!

Old
01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Yeah, this isn't going to end well. Can't ****ing believe they are going to lose a season over pensions and $5 million on next years cap. If you told me those would be the remaining issues that prevented a deal from being done I probably would've laughed in your face. This marks the first time I truly lost all hope.

Old
Aussie King

Quote:
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Told if next few days 'go badly' for #NHL and #nhlpa there is likely to be 'quick development' with a certain #C in Pittsburgh. @penguins
https://twitter.com/RobRossi_Trib/st...24018313027584

Old

Quote:

At least they put one in, the players took a month to reply but now they can do it in 24 hours...

Old
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
JMT21

It doesn't make allot of sense to postpone announcing the cancellation of the season past next Thursday if 48 games is indeed the magic number.

Can they actually get all the players back from wherever they are....... have some semblance of a training camp and get ready for puck drop in 8 days?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
- Language in December was "as of now" the previous offer is off the table, not that it was completely done. The NHL did that in response to their perception that the PA "moved the goalposts" and Fehrs blatantly false press conference. The NHL brought the offer back in an attempt to restart negotiations (a good thing, wouldn't you say?).

- The height of the "hill to die on" was never specified, just that it was a make-or-break aspect for the owners.

- Why would anyone expect either side in this to put their best offer first, second or third? The PA dictated this process the second they hired Fehr. Do you honestly think the owners don't/didn't know what type of negotiator Fehr is?

Old
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
Yeah, this isn't going to end well. Can't ****ing believe they are going to lose a season over pensions and $5 million on next years cap. If you told me those would be the remaining issues that prevented a deal from being done I probably would've laughed in your face. This marks the first time I truly lost all hope.
Pensions have been known to kill many a company. Many industries here in Canada are failing noe because they can't meet there pension plans that were negotiated with unions years ago. Pensions are definitley not small thing for either side.

Old
ODCapital74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie King View Post
What's that mean?

Edit: Duh. Never mind.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCapital74 View Post
What's that mean?
Probably that Crosby will go play in Europe.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie King View Post
Good news. Pat Brisson, Crosby and others have supposedly been working to save the season. Need people who actually care about the NHL to step in and stop this madness.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCapital74 View Post
What's that mean?

Edit: Duh. Never mind.
Rossi doesn't even know. He's just speculating that if the season is cancelled, Sid will play w/ Geno overseas. Rob Rossi is a complete joke.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
If the season gets cancelled next week, I think we finally see Bettman let go. He had his warning from the owners. Daly may be on the hot seat as well.

Closed Thread