HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post

You've got to be kidding me.
The NHLPA is a thick group. What else did they expect?

Old
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
This sounds like a pro player response....

Fans and Players..."its a partnership", "the Players deserve the money"

Owners,"Hey players it is a partnership help fix the NHL?"

Players,"Not our job!"

Nice
I"m not pro either side... if you'll note I just called the players idiots. I just find it absolutely ******** that people can actually be so one sided in this. It's ridiculous.

Old
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
So basically:

-The players specifically requested something
-The league agreed
-The players figured out that the thing they want might not be used in the WAY they want
-The players get ******** and don't want to cooperate anymore

Pretty much the entire lockout in a microcosm.
Ya pretty much. Terrible.

Quote:
This sounds like a pro player response....

Fans and Players..."its a partnership", "the Players deserve the money"

Owners,"Hey players it is a partnership help fix the NHL?"

Players,"Not our job!"

Nice
Sucks how the burden falls on you if you are requesting more responsibility. Gotta take the good with the bad or nothing at all.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
You obviously know nothing about Princeton.
Seriously?

Would an Engineering degree help him in CBA negotiations? Anthropology? Chemistry?

Old
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Players ask for compliance buyouts. NHL agrees to 2. PA apparently upset now GMs would use buyouts to shed contracts they regret.Makes sense

https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/sta...53085909307392

This about sums up everything.
So friggen true

Old
Boombox Generation
Vlad the Scorer

I think everyone needs to remain calm until it gets closer to the 11th. It's obvious neither side is going to do anything significant until their backs are against the wall with a deadline. There's going to be a few more days of this crap.

Last edited by Boombox Generation: 01-04-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This board has been pro owner for a long time now, but I just don't get the complete blindness. It's like their all die hard fans of Team Owners.

I disagree the owners have done a better job of that.. people keep ignoring the NHL continuously shuts down these talks after the PA submits an offer and then comes back several weeks later going back on their word with an offer improved from the last one that they said was take it or leave it.
Its not blindness why people support the owners. How long did the PA refuse to negotiate? First it was because Fehr hadnt been on the job long enough, then it was they didnt want to do it during the season because it would distract the players, then it turned into ok well negotiate during the playoffs, then well continue to play this season under the old CBA while were negotiating. It was all games by the PA. Just like all the offers they submitted in the beginning. When you continuously submit offers that contain items that you have been told are non starters do you honestly expect the other side to sit at the table? Funny how when the PA stopped submitting those offers how the real negotiations started isnt it?

I started off in this whole thing blaming both sides and still do to a point. But the players and the PAs actions are what have led me to support the owners more during these last few months. The league continuously moved towards the players only to have the players change the goal posts multiple times. Look at all the dumbass tweets from the players as well. For all of them just wanting to play their actions certainly dont speak that.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
frivolousz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Giving the players 50/50 won't cripple the league. As I showed yesterday, using a 57/43 split, there was still more than enough profit to use 35% revenue sharing to make the teams losing money turn a small profit. With a 50/50 split and revenue sharing there won't be difficulties. However, difficulties might pop up if the cap gets too high and those teams get left behind again, despite sharing, if the revenue sharing is too low. It's a delicate balance if they try to shoot for the minimum required sharing percentage.

Will you link me to this, I believe you, but I'd like to see the calculations made.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
MisterD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Again I disagree. This is exactly why the owners submitted such an absurd original offer... it looks like they're moving far more than they really are.
Until recently, the PA was only agreeing to move to a 50/50 split if there was sufficient revenue growth.

I recall the PA's first counters looked something like eliminating the bounce back to 57% and adding an extra year.

They only gave a full counter proposal in December.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Im sure you believe your interpretation of events, but your perception is not what happened. A dead giveaway is that you speak in absolutes (always, every time, never, etc...).
lol I'm not the one that said it has "literally never happened ever".

You're clueless in this if you think I made any of that up... it's been well documented.

Old
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

DarrenDreger (Darren Dreger)
Millions lost daily in HRR while lockout drags. With deadline of Jan 11, losses btwn Jan 12-18 would approach $130 mil for the week. #TSN

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...56016033308673

Old
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
They asked for satisfactory towels for visitor's dressing room.

FFS.
Is this serious?

Old
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
sheed36

Anyone else watching Hockeycentral at noon on Sportsnet? What were John Shannon and Doug Maclean talking about concerning a 20 minute battle between both sides about a towel problem? I missed a part of it and didn't catch it all.

Old
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyduK View Post
You should note that it wasn't the players decision to put teams in horrible markets like phoenix.
Again sounds like a pro player response and completely irrelevant to my point.

Owners are in it to make money(yes they are fans too), If your not maiking money then two things, you become defunct or the team moves.....

To me it sounds very selfish to here players like Orpik say it is not their job to promote the NHL and bring fans back.....is it a partnership or not? Do you want a job in the NHL or not?
NHLPA, I want all the good!!!! and none of the bad!!!!

Old
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Is this serious?
First I've heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Will you link me to this, I believe you, but I'd like to see the calculations made.
I'm a bit busy at the moment. I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I'm available

01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
lol I'm not the one that said it has "literally never happened ever".

You're clueless in this if you think I made any of that up... it's been well documented.
In that case,provide a link.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
CK17

What exactly did the players think the buyouts were for? I can't believe this is an issue with them, buyouts are literally the most player friendly thing possible. Not only do you get all the money you were owed you then get to pick your next destination for even more money.

Old
frivolousz21

You can't say It's on the owners to "fix" their business.

But yet believe they can't dictate how much they pay their employee's as long as it's above min wage.

The owners could do a 60/40 split with some sort or revenue sharing pool.

If that pool is 412 million and 233 is needed to cover all loses to all franchises the other money is redistributed to the players based on some compensation package based on performance or something in contracts? There are fair ways to ensure cost certainty which any single entity business will have.

Most of those cut thousands of employees or salaries to obtain. How is the NHL any different. Except they don't get to choose to just cut salaries.

Old
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Yes actually in the Hospitality business you can make good money if the woman serving are beautiful enough and yes men did come in to see the woman I mean bartenders and sometimes you have to pay more to keep them on, sometimes the costs out way the benefits.

But the type of business makes no difference. Once you are a business owner turning a profit is the main goal....once you reach that goal increasing your profit is next. The best way to increase or stop losing money is to lower your labor cost. Economics 101......does it make me or any other business owner stupid because we follow the owners or are we blind? Or maybe we just understand what running a business is all about.

Just ask Hartford, Atlanta twice, Coyotes, Kansas City, Minnesota, Winnipeg ect ect...
True, on the woman part. However if your food is lousy, and the beer is terrible, the beautiful women won't matter. Secondly, pro sports was for a very long time more about the long-term valuation growth rather than the year to year income. Once the corporations got involved and the number crunchers had to please shareholders, things changed.

Back to your point. Let's say you have a staff of bartenders who have a following. They demand higher shift pay, you agree but notice your profit is being cut. You cut the shift pay or bring in new bartenders at a cheaper shift pay, and then your customers who came in for those bartenders stop coming. Your profits go in the tank. Now what do you do? When you feel the employers are part of or are the product, you will need to find other ways to increase revenues or cut costs. Maybe change your vendors, cut labor costs of your non-essential employees. I find it hard to believe that EVERY employee is part of the product.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Anyone else watching Hockeycentral at noon on Sportsnet? What were John Shannon and Doug Maclean talking about concerning a 20 minute battle between both sides about a towel problem? I missed a part of it and didn't catch it all.
Wait that wasn't a joke?

Old
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
So basically:

-The players specifically requested something
-The league agreed
-The players figured out that the thing they want might not be used in the WAY they want
-The players get ******** and don't want to cooperate anymore

Pretty much the entire lockout in a microcosm.
That is not what happened and the tweet is pure NHL spin.

They wanted 2 buyouts. League agreed.

Bettmen was discussing the cap going to 60m and that certain GMs regretted giving out the contracts they had and were fine blowing up their teams to get under 60M. The NHLPA demanded to know which GMs were saying this. Bettmen wouldn't say.

This all came up during the cap discussion. It had nothing to do with compliance buyouts.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:04 PM
MisterD

Stick a fork in the NHL, it's done.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

The PA have about two brain cells between them.

Old
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

So what happens if there isn't a deal by Monday? They are supposed to be in court that day so I assume all negotiations would come to a halt at that point.

Closed Thread