HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 12:30 AM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSG View Post
Why is it that everyone on this board realizes that, yet nobody in the players association does.
Because the players believe they will be playing hockey on Jan 20.

If the season is cancelled then the players will know it's true.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

Bettman should announce a press conference for in like 3 days, and let it "slip out" that they're cancelling the season. I bet the PA would change their stance pretty quick

Old
01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

They will, and it won't.

The players don't want to miss a season, and neither do the owners. *****-waving aside, they'll come up with some compromise on Monday or something, and then we can all laugh as they try to make nice at the press conference.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
If NHLPA renews the option to disclaim, they almost have to use it this time, or no court would ever see any further attempt as anything but a ploy. The longer this goes on with more hard ball from the league and with fresh recriminations taking their toll, I could easily see more and more players actively support the notion of pulling the trigger on the disclaimer. If that happens, I don't know if my sympathy will be with the players, but it certainly won't be with the owners.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Blindly following. I mean, this is how I look at it. When they fired Kelly to hire Fehr, they were all in at that point. There's no turning back after you make a big move like that.
I absolutely love your Avatar lol

Old
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I'm not calling Dreger a liar, I'm calling him a hack. Dreger's "sources" have always been shaky in my opinion.

I'll listen to Ren Lavoie, LeBrun and Bobby Mac. Lavoie states FACT, LeBrun is objective and Bob is plugged in like no other. Dreger states "sourced information" like it is fact without ever actually stating who the sources are OR using more than one source.
Lebrun and McKenzie are not objective. They constantly interject their own opinion into their stories.
The problem with all these "reporters" is that they haven't realized you can't dish out your opinion every 10 minutes and then turn around and have any credibility as an objective news source.

Dreger, Lebrun and McKenzie have all hurt their credibility during this lockout.

And they all pander to their readers...

Old
01-04-2013, 12:39 AM
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSG View Post
Why is it that everyone on this board realizes that, yet nobody in the players association does.
Cause maybe... just maybe.... hfboards is wrong and most people here are speaking out of their ass

Old
01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
At that point NHL would stand for "No Hockey League."
We passed that point weeks ago.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I absolutely love your Avatar lol
Thanks, it still gives me a good laugh.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
There is no way all 30 teams can/will make money.

Wait, there is a way.

Salary cap at $25 million, starting tomorrow.

I am to the point where I want this thing blown up. Teams folding or relocating to better markets. No guaranteed contracts. No cap.
It would be very hard in the current state. But that begs the question for me. What is "protecting all the players"? If a few teams fold because they couldn't make money, is that doing what he's set out to do? Should he tell the players a few might have to take pay cuts for the betterment of the whole? What is he actually setting out to do?

Is it protecting the players if a few of the bottom feeders fold and thus the league gets higher revenue? More pie, but less people eating the pie?

Personally I just want the lockout over. At the end of the day it really doesn't effect me much what happens. I just want to be able to watch NHL hockey as all of us do.

Although part of me would love to see Fehr go through with what he's saying he may do. Would love to see how it all shakes down as scary as it'd be.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:47 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Lebrun and McKenzie are not objective. They constantly interject their own opinion into their stories.
The problem with all these "reporters" is that they haven't realized you can't dish out your opinion every 10 minutes and then turn around and have any credibility as an objective news source.

Dreger, Lebrun and McKenzie have all hurt their credibility during this lockout.

That honestly has to be one of the most annoying parts of all this.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:47 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Thanks, it still gives me a good laugh.
haha when i was looking at it i was like it looks likes aroused cause he smelled Fear in the air lol.

Anyone have any updates? Does the season look likely or not?

Old
01-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Second - think for a second, as objectively as you can. The league says the changes were bolded, highlighted. Does it make any sense whatsoever to lie about something that could be disproved in a millisecond by just looking at the papers? Believe me, they haven't been discarded. If you're going to lie about something, you really should make it something that's not so easy to get caught at. And, no matter what anyone thinks about attorneys, doing what is being suggested is an offense that could get whoever wrote the document severely sanctioned and very likely disbarred. That isn't something attorneys take lightly. They wouldn't risk it.
This is what I'm thinking.

I'm just picturing Fehr arguing his case in court that he had to re-vote then file a DOI because of Gary pulling a fast one and Gary handing the judge the highlighted section of the document, lol.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
This is what I'm thinking.

I'm just picturing Fehr arguing his case in court that he had to re-vote then file a DOI because of Gary pulling a fast one and Gary handing the judge the highlighted section of the document, lol.
And Fehr hands the judge a copy where he tried to use whiteout on the highlighted parts.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

So what your saying is, them doing their job bothers you?

They are analysts. If you know what that means then they are doing a great job. They are not "reporters" They are hired for their knowledge and expertise not because they are journalists.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:56 AM
cheesedanish87

If the season does get canceled who do u guys think deserves the most blame? To me its Fehr the players aren't gonna come out and say it but id be willing to bet if u hooked the players to a lie detector atleast 90% would take what the nhl is offering but there not gonna go against there leader in Fehr. I look at the owners and i would think there prob getting alot of pressure from sponsors and tv networks to get a deal done. U would think they would have alot of motivation to get a deal, and im sure bettman dont wanna be known as the commish that had 2 canceled seasons under his watch.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:57 AM
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
haha when i was looking at it i was like it looks likes aroused cause he smelled Fear in the air lol.

Anyone have any updates? Does the season look likely or not?
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
From an NHL Sponsor. "We're pretty confident we'll be playing Hockey on Jan 19th."

Jan 19th 2014 I suppose. Or 2015.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 50
I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact that the NHL isn't saying have your $65M cap and your pensions as long as you agree to the 10 year CBA along with the 6/7 year contract limits. Both of those issues are much more important IMO than the other ones.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:01 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
If the season does get canceled who do u guys think deserves the most blame? To me its Fehr the players aren't gonna come out and say it but id be willing to bet if u hooked the players to a lie detector atleast 90% would take what the nhl is offering but there not gonna go against there leader in Fehr. I look at the owners and i would think there prob getting alot of pressure from sponsors and tv networks to get a deal done. U would think they would have alot of motivation to get a deal, and im sure bettman dont wanna be known as the commish that had 2 canceled seasons under his watch.
It's equal. They all failed. I hold the owners in a little bit of a better light, but they are still at fault here too.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
xtra

Man part of me wants to see what would win out in No cap vs. no guaranteed contracts era....who would be happier the players or the owners.

But part of me wants hockey back....guess we are going to find out in a week.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
He was not hired to "give a ****" about the league. He was hired to protect the players.
How can you "protect the players" and not give a **** about the league that they play in? No league, no jobs.

Again, this thinking is why we're facing another lost season.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:04 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
I honestly can't wrap my mind around the fact that the NHL isn't saying have your $65M cap and your pensions as long as you agree to the 10 year CBA along with the 6/7 year contract limits. Both of those issues are much more important IMO than the other ones.
10 year CBA is already agreed to. It's the opt out that hasn't been. League wants 8, PA wants 7. Since players agreed to the 10 year, I think the owners should bend for just that 1 year. If all is going great by that time, they may not even need to use the opt out.

Edit: As for the contract limits, the PA should just accept the 6/7. It's only a small % of players that even get those longer contracts.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

If I were the NHL, I'd put a stipulation in that gives them every right to close any loopholes as they arise. Otherwise it's 8 to 10 seasons before they can fix it.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
It's equal. They all failed. I hold the owners in a little bit of a better light, but they are still at fault here too.
The bolded is it for me. It's a total failure from both sides. I don't blame the owners for seeing that something needed to change. But I also don't blame the players for trying to negotiate the best deal for themselves that they can. If I was in either of their positions I'd probably be doing the exact same thing

Old
01-04-2013, 01:07 AM
mossey3535

So if they disclaim are they going to actually file antitrust? Isn't that the whole point of disclaiming? IIRC in both of the last NBA and NFL disputes the lawsuits were filed almost instantly.

So, who pays for it? Usually it's the more high-profile (and richest) players that do it. For example, Brady vs NFL.

Is there going to be a Crosby vs NHL? Really ridiculous.

A deal is there to be made, why not just drop the theatrics and get it done. Not cost a handful of guys a bunch of money to start litigation.

Closed Thread