HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Monday Night Raw Discussion Thread #37

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
  #376
Big Poppa Puck
SAWFT!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: D-Boss' Dungeon
Country: United States
Posts: 17,397
vCash: 500
Rock's promos seem forced now. Of course I still mark for almost everything he says but it's just not as believable as it used to be.

I was watching old stuff from the attitude era like the empty arena match and he was basically cutting promos during the match. Like when he picked up a phone and said "Hello, no, Mankind can't come to the phone right now, he's got The Rock's foot up his ass." Just little subtle comments made it great.

He used to seem more spontaneous (whether it was or not) now it's almost obvious he writes his lines before hand.

Big Poppa Puck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
  #377
The Man in White
Registered User
 
The Man in White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 250
Just finished watching.

Punk absolutely dominated Rock tonight in the promo. His pre-commercial promo was fantastic as well.

The "Your arms are too short to box with god" punchline was perfect. It reminded me of when he destroyed Cena..."I won't be standing out there watching you, in the ring. I'm gonna be standing IN the ring, watching you, go down to CM Punk."

The Man in White is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
  #378
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,118
vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
After Raw

Quote:
After RAW went off the air from Tampa, Florida, CM Punk got back on the mic and refused to leave. The Rock then came back out and gave Punk 3 Rock Bottoms. Rock then took the mic and talked about how he used to live in Tampa and trained there. Rock then finally hit Punk with the People's Elbow to send the crowd home happy.

OmniSens is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
  #379
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4
 
TheMurdocktor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Punk's line about boxing with God was the singular moment I will take from that show. That was sheer brilliance.

The rest of the show was just average, especially after promising to "get people talking". Makes me wonder if there were last minute script changes backstage.

TheMurdocktor is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:36 AM
  #380
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,821
vCash: 500
when does orton finally turn heel

David71 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM
  #381
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,886
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
His one line of an imaginary child getting more TV time than Tyson Kidd was absolutely brilliance. The line he told the Rock about his arms being too short to box with God won the whole damn thing.
I loved the whole thing. I actually really enjoyed both sides. The Rock's catchphrases, and the other side with Punk's straight shooting words, the box with God line was the line of the whole thing. That was the line that made me say what a promo. He was damn good tonight. Damn good.

tp71 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:48 AM
  #382
Karma
Registered User
 
Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
That's. Not. What. Punk. Did. Tonight.

Did any of you even watch the promo?
I'm pretty sure that's what he did. That's what he always does.

Karma is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:52 AM
  #383
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,886
vCash: 460
I have to say this about the rock/punk promo. The Royal Rumble is my favourite match. It's the match I look forward to the most when it begins to roll around.

They did so well in selling that moment, I think I'm looking forward to Rock/Punk more. Although nothing groundbreaking, They both did a great job imo selling the match, making me excited for more encounters, where it's going to go next, and seeing the match. It was very well done.

tp71 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:54 AM
  #384
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
Punk looks like a little kid how can this guy be the heavy weight champion smh
Couldn't agree more. And most people either disagree or don't care (which is totally fine), but that's always the problem I've had with him. He's not a believable adversary to The Rock (or Cena, HHH, Show, Undertaker, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
You're kidding me right? No stuttering from Rock, on every point, funny, dramatic, exclamation mark. Win for Rock.

**** just got real
It's so hard for me to be objective because I like The Rock a lot and am not a Punk fan, but I don't see how someone could say Punk dominated that. Sure Rock follows his typical routine, but he comes up with a lot of pretty funny (original) stuff. All Punk says is I'm the best, and you people all suck. And sure he delivers all these "pipe bombs", but again, that isn't talent. Anyone backstage, or anyone here reading these forums already knows what he's saying. It doesn't take tremendous talent to just cite the truth. Rock has far more charisma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Rock's promos seem forced now. Of course I still mark for almost everything he says but it's just not as believable as it used to be.

I was watching old stuff from the attitude era like the empty arena match and he was basically cutting promos during the match. Like when he picked up a phone and said "Hello, no, Mankind can't come to the phone right now, he's got The Rock's foot up his ass." Just little subtle comments made it great.

He used to seem more spontaneous (whether it was or not) now it's almost obvious he writes his lines before hand.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Too much stuff where it seems like he's going out of his way to kiss the fans' ass, very Cenaesque. I don't remember him doing near as much of that back in the day. And as you mentioned, I'm sure much more of his schtick is scripted these days due to his greatly reduced schedule. Just not being in the routine I'm sure hinders his creative spontaneity.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:44 AM
  #385
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post


It's so hard for me to be objective because I like The Rock a lot and am not a Punk fan, but I don't see how someone could say Punk dominated that. Sure Rock follows his typical routine, but he comes up with a lot of pretty funny (original) stuff. All Punk says is I'm the best, and you people all suck. And sure he delivers all these "pipe bombs", but again, that isn't talent. Anyone backstage, or anyone here reading these forums already knows what he's saying. It doesn't take tremendous talent to just cite the truth. Rock has far more charisma.
He really, really doesn't.

Said zero original or funny things during the time he talked.

Cookie puss, zero funnies. It doesn't matter if you matter, less than zero funnies.

He should talk about his roid cycles, THAT would be funny.

littleD is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 06:11 AM
  #386
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
@CrimsonSkorpion
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chateauguay, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 34,043
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what he did. That's what he always does.
Go back and watch his promo then. He talked about how he's always been in this thing for himself and to spite everyone else. He talked about how his pipe-bomb wasn't really a pipe-bomb but an orchestrated plot to put himself over and pull the wool over everyone'e eyes. How he doesn't care about anyone else - be it the fans or the guys in the back.

Re-watch the promo. It was much different than what you're used to.

Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
  #387
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,941
vCash: 500
Haven't had a chance to read through everyone's posts yet, will do that in a moment.

Boring opening promo to start the show, but an excellent match from Dolph and Cena. I can't tell if the two have decent ring chemistry or if it's just Dolph making the match look like a million bucks, but I don't even care. They're just so fun to watch. Cena kicking out of THREE finishers then pinning Ziggler after a single finisher of his own was some poor booking, but it was a great match considering this was a weekly show and not a ppv.

Really liked the Hell No/Rhodes Scholars match. Kane had a rare botch on the top rope but Sandow recovered for him nicely. I also liked when Sandow was tagging in Cody after beating down Bryan and you could hear him say to Cody clear as day, "take a drop toe hold!"...as soon as Cody runs into the ring he falls down to a drop toe hold. Hot mic much? Again though, really strong match for a non ppv event.

Cesaro v Khali was just stupid...until Cesaro hit the Neutralizer on Khali. I know a lot of it was Khali bringing his legs up, but Cesaro just has massive total body strength and I think the only point of that match was to show him off.

Kofi jobbing in 5 seconds was lame. As was Santino v Wade

3MB double booked? I'll take it! I thought it was strange that they would put Sheamus and Orton into the ring against the job squad, but I'm a 3MB fan so I didn't mind. They all ate the finishers like champs too, so credit goes to them for that.

For the final segments, I actually thought Punk's promo was one of the best in the last half dozen years, and possibly better than "the promo." I can't put my finger on it but Punk has a certain attitude and carelessness about him that doesn't come out too often on the mic, but when it does it's just so genuine and natural. He legitimately sounded like a ****** bag last night. Promo successful right then and there. I didn't even want the Rock to come out cuz I knew he was just gonna be covered in sweat and do all his catch phrases (which normally I enjoy those promos from the Rock), but after Punk's slow, cruel, very real to me dammit promo I just didn't want to see the Rock at all. I was buying into every thing the guy said, from him insulting Sammartino's title run, to boxing with God, to putting himself over and not being allowed to get through that Vince McMahon glass ceiling because it would make the legends look bad. It was just amazing start to finish.

Oh, and him pulling the WWE logo off the mic and tossing it aside was brilliant. That was a perfect way to start off the promo.

duckchobbins is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 07:42 AM
  #388
Modo
MVP
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Haven't had a chance to read through everyone's posts yet, will do that in a moment.

Boring opening promo to start the show, but an excellent match from Dolph and Cena. I can't tell if the two have decent ring chemistry or if it's just Dolph making the match look like a million bucks, but I don't even care. They're just so fun to watch. Cena kicking out of THREE finishers then pinning Ziggler after a single finisher of his own was some poor booking, but it was a great match considering this was a weekly show and not a ppv.

Really liked the Hell No/Rhodes Scholars match. Kane had a rare botch on the top rope but Sandow recovered for him nicely. I also liked when Sandow was tagging in Cody after beating down Bryan and you could hear him say to Cody clear as day, "take a drop toe hold!"...as soon as Cody runs into the ring he falls down to a drop toe hold. Hot mic much? Again though, really strong match for a non ppv event.

Cesaro v Khali was just stupid...until Cesaro hit the Neutralizer on Khali. I know a lot of it was Khali bringing his legs up, but Cesaro just has massive total body strength and I think the only point of that match was to show him off.

Kofi jobbing in 5 seconds was lame. As was Santino v Wade

3MB double booked? I'll take it! I thought it was strange that they would put Sheamus and Orton into the ring against the job squad, but I'm a 3MB fan so I didn't mind. They all ate the finishers like champs too, so credit goes to them for that.

For the final segments, I actually thought Punk's promo was one of the best in the last half dozen years, and possibly better than "the promo." I can't put my finger on it but Punk has a certain attitude and carelessness about him that doesn't come out too often on the mic, but when it does it's just so genuine and natural. He legitimately sounded like a ****** bag last night. Promo successful right then and there. I didn't even want the Rock to come out cuz I knew he was just gonna be covered in sweat and do all his catch phrases (which normally I enjoy those promos from the Rock), but after Punk's slow, cruel, very real to me dammit promo I just didn't want to see the Rock at all. I was buying into every thing the guy said, from him insulting Sammartino's title run, to boxing with God, to putting himself over and not being allowed to get through that Vince McMahon glass ceiling because it would make the legends look bad. It was just amazing start to finish.

Oh, and him pulling the WWE logo off the mic and tossing it aside was brilliant. That was a perfect way to start off the promo.
I noticed that as well during the 3MB vs. Sheamus match.....Slater jumped on to the ring apron behind Shameus and you could hear him say "Sheamus! Sheamus!" in a low voice, before Sheamus spun around and hit a weak Brogue on him to knock him back to the floor.

Also, in regards to Cesaro vs. Khali, it was probably a carbon copy of the first match they had, last week on Smackdown, where Cesaro executed that same move. I guess they wanted a dry run first to make sure he hit it properly, before using it on the flagship show. Either way, damn impressive.

Agreed on Kofi. I guess Bore-ton's still whispering in Trips' ear and keeping Kofi from getting a steady push.

Lastly, agreed completely on the Punk promo. That is the stuff of legend, that elevates Punk to one of the best mic-workers in WWE history. He keeps it up, he'll have that top spot all to himself. Just amazing stuff, it's great how they let him go all out. Still, could have done without the commercial break even though that was all part of the act. I wonder if that portion will ever see airtime, or if only those lucky few in attendance got to hear the entire thing.

__________________
RIP octopi and parabola.
Modo is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
  #389
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I noticed that as well during the 3MB vs. Sheamus match.....Slater jumped on to the ring apron behind Shameus and you could hear him say "Sheamus! Sheamus!" in a low voice, before Sheamus spun around and hit a weak Brogue on him to knock him back to the floor.

Also, in regards to Cesaro vs. Khali, it was probably a carbon copy of the first match they had, last week on Smackdown, where Cesaro executed that same move. I guess they wanted a dry run first to make sure he hit it properly, before using it on the flagship show. Either way, damn impressive.

Agreed on Kofi. I guess Bore-ton's still whispering in Trips' ear and keeping Kofi from getting a steady push.

Lastly, agreed completely on the Punk promo. That is the stuff of legend, that elevates Punk to one of the best mic-workers in WWE history. He keeps it up, he'll have that top spot all to himself. Just amazing stuff, it's great how they let him go all out. Still, could have done without the commercial break even though that was all part of the act. I wonder if that portion will ever see airtime, or if only those lucky few in attendance got to hear the entire thing.
Yeah they do a phenomenal job of selling the realism of their work. Obviously we know the commercial break was scripted, but they executed it perfectly that it actually added to the punch of the promo. As for what was said during the break, I imagine someone will have a YT of it up eventually, but I doubt he said anything of substance. He was better off saving the goods for live TV, so he probably just insulted Tampa for a couple minutes.

I also like the subtle things during promo battles. Like when Rock was going on about the candy bar thing, Punk didn't have the mic to his face but the camera was still on him a bit and you see him say to Rock, "keep going. Go 'head" That crap you don't pick up on when your live (and you don't need to cuz the atmosphere is enough) but on TV it sells the hate big time.

20 minutes into the ppv build and it's already amazing. Although I'm heavily leaning towards Rock winning and facing Cena (rumble winner) at Wrestlemania...which I would prefer not to happen but oh well. I'm still holding onto hope that Punk retains all the way up to WM and there's a triple threat main event.

duckchobbins is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
  #390
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
SHUT UP, TOM!!!
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 69,022
vCash: 114
The only way I'd be happy with The Rock losing would be if Brock Lesnar interfered and cost The Rock the match.

I'm still holding out hope Rock/Brock happens.

M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 08:41 AM
  #391
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
The only way I'd be happy with The Rock losing would be if Brock Lesnar interfered and cost The Rock the match.

I'm still holding out hope Rock/Brock happens.
If they want to have Rock v Undertaker then Taker could also interfere and cost him the match.

Rock/Taker
HHH/Brock
Punk/Cena for the 900th time, add a cage or make it a ladder match for a change

duckchobbins is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
  #392
Mjolnir
Whosoever Be Worthy
 
Mjolnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Asgard
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,049
vCash: 351
Just rewatched the final segment and found it funny that Rock said that Punk would not be able to get a tattoo of an almond butter because they contain nuts but just before that he had said snickers. I think Punk had the better promo but Rock was entertaining as always and the payoff to the candy tattoo + boot tattoo was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the Rumble .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
If they want to have Rock v Undertaker then Taker could also interfere and cost him the match.

Rock/Taker
HHH/Brock
Punk/Cena for the 900th time, add a cage or make it a ladder match for a change
The issue I see with Cena and Punk having a ladder or cage match at WM and Cena winning is that Punk could still come out and say "you never pinned me" and I am not sure WWE would want to give him the chance to be able to say that.

Mjolnir is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
  #393
M4TR1X
@MattRicks613
 
M4TR1X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,240
vCash: 500
If anyone thought that Rock had a better promo than Punk then as the rock says, you're on crack.

Rock this time around seems better than last year with Cena but still seems weak sauce to the likes of Punk and unfortunately for you Rock fans, in which I use to be, he could never be on Punks level.

M4TR1X is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
  #394
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 32,201
vCash: 50
I fell asleep watching yesterday, so I just put on the promo now. Rock is... bad. Oh well. He should still be entertaining in ring at the Rumble.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
  #395
Oil Dude
Registered User
 
Oil Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
I am hoping that come time for the Rumble that Punk actually goes over clean on the Rock.

I have always found that the best heels were the strong heels that didn't depend on outside interference all the time and could just be bad guys by being excellent in the ring and not so good of guys outside the the ring.

Oil Dude is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
  #396
elias026
Registered User
 
elias026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Dude View Post
I am hoping that come time for the Rumble that Punk actually goes over clean on the Rock.

I have always found that the best heels were the strong heels that didn't depend on outside interference all the time and could just be bad guys by being excellent in the ring and not so good of guys outside the the ring.
WWE can make Cm Punk one of the wwe greats if he can beat Rock Clean

elias026 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
  #397
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
SHUT UP, TOM!!!
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 69,022
vCash: 114
Never heard anything of Undertaker vs Rock happening...or even being talked about.

M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
  #398
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,238
vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Dude View Post
I am hoping that come time for the Rumble that Punk actually goes over clean on the Rock.
I'd like to see it, but I doubt it actually happens. If Punk wins, it will be due to outside interference or some kind of distraction that won't be totally clean. That's the way they've built Punk during his current heel run and I'd be shocked if they actually gave him a clean win over the Rock. I'd say we don't see an absolutely clean Punk win until after he drops the belt.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
  #399
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
@CrimsonSkorpion
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chateauguay, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 34,043
vCash: 50
Awards:
Anyone else sort of bothered that during the Punk/Ryback match, Lawler and Cole made it seem as though winning the WWE Championship was secondary and facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble was what the big deal was?

I mean, yes, you're going to main event a show - if the Royal Rumble event doesn't - against The Rock but... this match they're in is for the damn title. Nothing is more important than the title, and I thought Punk's 400+ day reign brough significance to that.

Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
  #400
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Anyone else sort of bothered that during the Punk/Ryback match, Lawler and Cole made it seem as though winning the WWE Championship was secondary and facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble was what the big deal was?

I mean, yes, you're going to main event a show - if the Royal Rumble event doesn't - against The Rock but... this match they're in is for the damn title. Nothing is more important than the title, and I thought Punk's 400+ day reign brough significance to that.
I've honestly been ignoring the commentary lately. It's atrocious. I enjoy JBL, but that's it.

I agree with you though, and I think somebody even mentioned it last night during the show. They made a big deal out of that match not because it was a title match...simply because the winner got to face the Rock.

duckchobbins is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.