HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better captain: Sundin or Alfredsson?

View Poll Results: Who was/is the best captain?
Mats Sundin 89 43.20%
Daniel Alfredsson 117 56.80%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
  #126
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
You Sundin defenders: your arguments are invalid as the fans have already spoken and Alfredsson was the greater Captain.
With no merit to base it on he captained one of the most dominant teams in recent history to a president trophy, gee golly I think henrik sedin must be the greatest of all time considering hes met the same feat twice

Sundin as captain
776 games (10 seasons)
6/10 years of playoffs
64 playoff games played
Conference finals twice as captain
0 cups

Alfredsson as captain
860 games (13 seasons)
10/13 years of playoffs
89 playoff games played
Conference finals once
Finals once
0 cups
1 presidents trophy


Not worlds difference, especially considering the quality of team each had throughout their career.

Now include the fact that Sundin was the captain internationally, the only time in which both were on the same team, he should get the slight edge. Btw for everyone *****ing that "Alfredsson was not yet established therefore couldn't be captain ", alfredsson was named captain of Ottawa during the same year of Sundins second international captaincy. Hardly a vet by that time.

The Podium is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:53 PM
  #127
SammyTheBull
Registered User
 
SammyTheBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,517
vCash: 500
As of now the poll stands:

Alfredsson: 69

Sundin: 41

Alfredsson was clearly the greater Captain.

I rest my case, I mean... case closed.

SammyTheBull is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
  #128
Kezia
egg
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
With no merit to base it on he captained one of the most dominant teams in recent history to a president trophy, gee golly I think henrik sedin must be the greatest of all time considering hes met the same feat twice
Sundin must be a really bad captain.

Kezia is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  #129
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Sundin must be a really bad captain.
Not saying its not quiet the accomplishment, just find it ridiculous how a team accomplishment is being used against sundin as a captain.

The Podium is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:28 PM
  #130
Kezia
egg
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Not saying its not quiet the accomplishment, just find it ridiculous how a team accomplishment is being used against sundin as a captain.
Leaf fans had no problem with it for the "Sundin captained Sweden to a gold" argument.

Kezia is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
  #131
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Not saying its not quiet the accomplishment, just find it ridiculous how a team accomplishment is being used against sundin as a captain.
Then why did you list team post season accomplishments when you compared the players?


Last edited by SenateReform: 01-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.
SenateReform is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
  #132
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
'rarely stripped as captain', Canada barely had a returning captIns over a decade. Was o show that if alfredsson deserved it he would've been captain.
So you ignored my post explaining why canada has had different captains?

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
  #133
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Leaf fans had no problem with it for the "Sundin captained Sweden to a gold" argument.
Regular season trophy and winning a tournament are two different things.

MastuhNinks is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:26 PM
  #134
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
As of now the poll stands:

Alfredsson: 69

Sundin: 41

Alfredsson was clearly the greater Captain.

I rest my case, I mean... case closed.
Nah, it's just the flavour of the month around these parts. Some days HF likes vanilla, some days chocolate, some days strawberry, peanut butter, etc. Changes all the time around here

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:42 PM
  #135
Kezia
egg
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Nah, it's just the flavour of the month around these parts. Some days HF likes vanilla, some days chocolate, some days strawberry, peanut butter, etc. Changes all the time around here
Why would HF's opinion on "Better captain: Sundin or Alfredsson?" change monthly?

Kezia is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
  #136
Kezia
egg
 
Kezia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Regular season trophy and winning a tournament are two different things.
Yeah, one takes 7 games and the other takes 82.

Kezia is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
  #137
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,123
vCash: 500
This ones actually really close but I still went with Alfy.

MessierII is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:58 PM
  #138
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Why would HF's opinion on "Better captain: Sundin or Alfredsson?" change monthly?
It was a figure of speech, nobody ever says "flavour of the year", that sounds stupid. Regardless, the point is that people here change their minds all the time and there's no consistency. Sundin vs Alfie has been beaten to death on these forums, and the majority of the time, Sundin was seen as the better player and leader by posters here. For whatever reason, they prefer Alfie flavour this time around.

It doesn't surprise me at all, hell just last month there were 2 "Tyler Biggs vs Tom Wilson" polls. The first one was dead even, but the second one, created less than 10 days later, had Tom Wilson with double the votes.

There's no consistency unless it's a very obvious lopsided poll, like Sidney Crosby vs Brooks Laich or something like that.

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
  #139
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
From what I garnered reading this thread is that being captain for a handful of games is > than being captain of the same team for over 1000 games.

That is basically the only argument for Sundin being a better captain

2Cowen is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
  #140
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
From what I garnered reading this thread is that being captain for a handful of games is > than being captain of the same team for over 1000 games.

That is basically the only argument for Sundin being a better captain
No being captain of a team for 700 games, in addition of captaining a team also including the other option for a handful of games is > than captain of the same team for 1000 games

The Podium is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:39 AM
  #141
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,954
vCash: 500
mats!

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:46 AM
  #142
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,938
vCash: 500
Sundin would never let the defensemen on his team shirk their defensive responsibilities

WarriorOfGandhi is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 12:58 AM
  #143
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
From what I garnered reading this thread is that being captain for a handful of games is > than being captain of the same team for over 1000 games.

That is basically the only argument for Sundin being a better captain
In what world is 776 a "handful of games"? Sundin was the captain for 10 seasons, but you make it sound like he only wore the "C" for a cup of coffee. And Alfredsson has not been the captain of Ottawa for over 1000 games.

Incognito is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
  #144
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
In what world is 776 a "handful of games"? Sundin was the captain for 10 seasons, but you make it sound like he only wore the "C" for a cup of coffee. And Alfredsson has not been the captain of Ottawa for over 1000 games.
He was referring to the Olympics when he said handful of games.


Including playoffs, Alfredsson has played 949 games as Captain.

If you were to include games he missed due to injury, but was still at the games encouraging his team mates before, during and after, it is well over 1000 games.

Qward is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:11 AM
  #145
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
He was referring to the Olympics when he said handful of games.


Including playoffs, Alfredsson has played 949 games as Captain.

If you were to include games he missed due to injury, but was still at the games encouraging his team mates before, during and after, it is well over 1000 games.
My mistake, I apologize to the poster I quoted. I didn't know he was referring only to the Olympics.

Incognito is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 01:33 AM
  #146
OMadahey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: capital city
Country: Somalia
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
To be honest. Theirs not much difference between the two but! (This is a big but). One of them sticked with his team in the end and the other didn't. Loyalty. And that's why Alfi is the better captain. AINEC

OMadahey is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 05:55 AM
  #147
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Järfälla
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,339
vCash: 500
Oh goodie. A day later and people are still acting like

A) Most captains are named captains after their name is drawn from a hat.

B) The argument for Sundin being a better captain is that he WON the olympic gold.

I do like how you guys are talking about me being a Leafs fan though. And how HF polls are proof. It's quite amusing.

Romang67 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 05:56 AM
  #148
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Järfälla
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Leaf fans had no problem with it for the "Sundin captained Sweden to a gold" argument.
You're still going for that are you? How many times have I told you already that that's not the argument? Or have you just decided to ignore it because it's much harder to argue against a poster than a strawman?

Romang67 is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 05:58 AM
  #149
x94Galchenyuk94x*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
This is basically an Ottawa vs Toronto thread. Lock it up.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline  
Old
01-05-2013, 07:21 AM
  #150
EssendonBombers
classless
 
EssendonBombers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Sundin was a better player than he was a captain and Alfredsson is/was a better captain than he is a player, and he's a damn good player. Alfredsson wins this one.

EssendonBombers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.