HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Not not period. Being responsible for your stick, and getting a 4 game suspension for what IIHF somehow deems as an intentional 2 handed swing to the face is a huge difference. We are talking about the biggest suspension they have ever given. It's a ****ing joke. There wasn't even an injury.

Whether he tried to slash or not, there was no intent to hit his face...the stick rode up the american's stick. It is worthy of a high sticking penalty for not taking care of your stick, not a 4 game suspension. Ridiculous.
It's definitely a game or two too long, no doubt.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
any reckless use of the stick above the head especially in international play is going to get a lengthy suspension.
people think this is worth the same as Ghost's suspension? really?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Yes, it definately was on purpose, and no, it certainly wasn't to help with balance. He already was on one leg and in a stable position before he began to swing the stick. Moving the stick like that served no purpose at all.

It probably wasn't supposed to be more than a rather harsh slash to the legs out of anger that just happened to move upwards because of the opponent's stick, but that isn't really an excuse. You are responsible for your stick and slashing is illegal. The stick didn't primarily end up in the face because it rode up the other stick, it ended up in the face because Reinhart thought it was a good idea to make a blind swing at an opponent. Maybe a player should take a look before he tries something illegal. If a suspension can get him to stop swinging his stick at opponents than it's a good idea. Getting 2 minutes certainly won't.

Whether it makes sense to hand out the longest suspension to a scene like that is certainly debatable. I think a late hit is a bit worse than a slash that wasn't really supposed to hit where it did. Then again, something like this can lead to loss of eyesight, so it's best to teach players early not to go for a slash, especially when they don't see where it will go. Something that normally wouldn't be more than 2 minutes can quickly escalate into something far more severe.
First, no it's not debatable that this deserves the longest suspension ever. It's an absolute farce. The slash was not "definitely on purpose", that is the debatable part. Griffin claims it wasn't and in the video it isn't conclusive either way.

Second, This is hockey not volleyball. Why not suspend someone for every trip etc. You can get seriously hurt by being tripped you know. What if you got tripped and fell awkwardly and tore your ACL? You tripping a guy could end his hockey career and this has happened more often than high sticks to the eyes have. We are now suspending people for 4 games for things that can lead to bad things? There was no intent to hit his head and no injury on the play. If you want to send a message then dress up in a Barney costume and give him a 1 game suspension while singing his love song. That is the absolute worst it deserves.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
any reckless use of the stick above the head especially in international play is going to get a lengthy suspension.
Like I said on the previous page, why didn't this play get any attention then? It wasn't even called!

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
He was not reaching for the puck or following through on a shot. He swung his stick with only one purpose, to hit Trocheck. Whether he was aiming for his head, we don't know. But where you hit someone matters and the fact remains he hit him in the face. Four game is light considering the damage that could have been done a couple of inches higher. And the fact that your vouching for him does not make the act any less dangerous.
So this tourney I have heard suspension length comes from the result (which I don't agree with, but thats here nor there) now it is what could have happened? Guess what, nearly every play in hockey can result in a serious injury. To give him 4 games for this, when far worse has happened, is a joke. I can think of 4 worse plays of the top of my head.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
What about the Russian who got 1 game for a blatant high stick to the chops?

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Like I said on the previous page, why didn't this play get any attention then? It wasn't even called!

Wow, and that didn't even get a suspension? Thanks for posting that...based on the video and the Reinhart standard, this one deserves like 6 games, or maybe a 2 year ban from hockey. Further proof of what a joke the IIHF is.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Xokkeu

I didn't think it was intentional until I saw the replay. It was clearly intentional, although I don't think he wanted to hit him in the face that doesn't matter.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I didn't think it was intentional until I saw the replay. It was clearly intentional, although I don't think he wanted to hit him in the face that doesn't matter.
Are you talking about Reinhart or are you talking about the video just posted before your post? How many games should Tanner Richard have gotten there?

Old
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
flyersguy33*

good call. maybe a game too much but we all know how iihf likes to hand out suspensions

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Are you talking about Reinhart or are you talking about the video just posted before your post? How many games should Tanner Richard have gotten there?
I was talking about Reinhart.

Tough to say on the Swiss one. It's certainly worse than Shalunov, not sure it's worse physically than Reinhart's. Probably deserves 2-3 games as well.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I was talking about Reinhart.

Tough to say on the Swiss one. It's certainly worse than Shalunov, not sure it's worse physically than Reinhart's. Probably deserves 2-3 games as well.
Well it got 0 games and was a crosscheck to the face, worse than Reinhart because Reinhart's stick was low and it ran up the American player's stick into his face.

You say it is 2-3 but the clowns at the IIHF ignore this hit to the face and give 4 for a different highstick, one that was clearly an accident. So how is Reinhart's 4 and this 0? There is no standard, only a bunch of idiots.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

it was a dirty hit. it could of been a heck of a lot worst if he hit him in the throat or mouth area.

I think 4 games is a bit extreme, but that hit no matter how blinded by your own country you might be was ugly and 100% intentional.

the IIHF is making some strong suspensions on some dirty plays including Ghost who got over a game suspension (thrown out for 2 periods in the game he did it) for a nut shot with the stick..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:34 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Well it got 0 games and was a crosscheck to the face, worse than Reinhart because Reinhart's stick was low and it ran up the American player's stick into his face.

You say it is 2-3 but the clowns at the IIHF ignore this hit to the face and give 4 for a different highstick, one that was clearly an accident. So how is Reinhart's 4 and this 0? There is no standard, only a bunch of idiots.
are you crazy? he looked at him right before doing it. take off the blinders man, the hit was dirty and intentional...

I said the same thing when Ghost did his nut shot...it was dirty and stupid..why look stupid defending it.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
are you crazy? he looked at him right before doing it. take off the blinders man, the hit was dirty and intentional...

I said the same thing when Ghost did his nut shot...it was dirty and stupid..why look stupid defending it.
?? I am not sure if the slash was meant to hit the American or not. Reinhart says it was him off balance swinging his stick around to regain it, the video isn't conclusive.

What isn't in question is what actually happened. Reinharts stick struck the USA player's stick low around the blade and then ramped up and hit his face. He might have been trying to give a slash in the shinpads or something I don't know, but he wasn't trying to hit his face at all so in that sense it was accidental.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

One thing I think everybody agrees on is that the IIHF is a bit of a joke.

It was not clearly an accident either in my vantage point.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
?? I am not sure if the slash was meant to hit the American or not. Reinhart says it was him off balance swinging his stick around to regain it, the video isn't conclusive.

What isn't in question is what actually happened. Reinharts stick struck the USA player's stick low around the blade and then ramped up and hit his face. He might have been trying to give a slash in the shinpads or something I don't know, but he wasn't trying to hit his face at all so in that sense it was accidental.
Problem is that when you intend to hit a player with your stick you are then responsible for the outcome. Did he zero in and target his face for a two handed slash? No I don't think so. I also think if he had, Reinhart wouldn't be playing IIHF hockey for a very long time. He pretty clearly two handed the guy intentionally and that's why the penalty is so stiff. At first my reaction was, wow that's absurd, but after watching the replay it's pretty clear that he intended to hit him.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

I really can't see how anyone can say what is intent was, especially those of you stating your opinion "without a doubt".

I was talking to his dad yesterday, he said Griffin was angry because someone reminded him he was drafted by the NYI. That should be enough of an excuse for the IIHF to lessen the suspension.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Problem is that when you intend to hit a player with your stick you are then responsible for the outcome. Did he zero in and target his face for a two handed slash? No I don't think so. I also think if he had, Reinhart wouldn't be playing IIHF hockey for a very long time. He pretty clearly two handed the guy intentionally and that's why the penalty is so stiff. At first my reaction was, wow that's absurd, but after watching the replay it's pretty clear that he intended to hit him.
You don't think he zeroed in to target the face and from the video it is clear he didn't do that either yet this is the ruling:

IIHF ruled that Reinhart made “eye contact with his opponent, raised his stick and delivered a two-handed slash to the head and neck area of Trocheck, who fell to the ice as a result.”

What video are they watching????

Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
You don't think he zeroed in to target the face and from the video it is clear he didn't do that either yet this is the ruling:

IIHF ruled that Reinhart made “eye contact with his opponent, raised his stick and delivered a two-handed slash to the head and neck area of Trocheck, who fell to the ice as a result.”

Well technically he did deliver the slash to the head. I just don't think that's where he was aiming.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

If this only counts at IIHF events, bring him to the World Championships this spring as an 8th defensemen so he doesn't miss time next year when he's likely going to be one of if not Canada's top defensemen (If he isn't in the NHL).

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
1) Slash itself was absolutely intentional.
2) Placement of slash was likely unintentional.
3) Therefor, it was an intentional slash and he has to pay for the play. Be careful of your own stick and you won't get suspended.

The suspension should not be reduced a game.
Agreed

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well technically he did deliver the slash to the head. I just don't think that's where he was aiming.
Well that's pretty important. IIHF is claiming they know he intended to hit his head, hence the "eye contact", which is ridiculous, and the 4 game suspension.

If it was 1 game for reckless use of the stick, w/e I still wouldn't like it but that's something you can live with when you are dealing with the IIHF. 4 games is outrageous!

Old
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

well there is your major problem...

what is the kid supposed to say "I really tried to crack him in the head with my stick..I lost my mind, went all mental, and tried to hurt Vince"... ya, I can see that happening..

Old
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

Maybe they were watching May on Heinze?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote