HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Hockeyprospect.com September top 31 (50) ranking

Old
09-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Zaddy Zads

vCash: 500
Hockeyprospect.com September top 31 (50) ranking

HockeyProspect released their september ranking yesterday.

Here's the top10:

1. Nolan Patrick, RC, Brandon, WHL, 6’3, 190
2. Gabe Vilardi, RC, Windsor, OHL, 6’2 192
3. Timothy Liljegren, RD, Rögle, SHL, 6’0,190
4. Klim Kostin, RW, Dynamo Moskva, KHL, 6’3, 196
5. Maxime Comtois, LW , Victoriaville, QMJHL, 6’1, 189
6. Casey Mittelstadt, LC , Green Bay, USHL, 6’0, 197
7. Eeli Tolvanen, RW, Sioux City, USHL, 5’10, 174
8. Nico Hischier, LC, Halifax, QMJHL, 5’11, 170
9. Martin Necas, RC, HC Kometa Brno, Czech, 6’0, 168
10. Callan Foote, RD, Kelowna, WHL, 6’4, 209

The rest of the list is here: https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hocke...ember-edition/

Interesting to note is that they have Vilardi ahead of Liljegren and they don't seem very high on Vesalainen or Yamamoto as they are ranked #17 and #23, respectively. Also interesting is Alex Fermenton who is ranked #29, a guy I'd never heard of before. Plays for the London Knights and made the 2017 cutoff date by just two days. So he's one of the youngest guys in the draft.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Flynn84

Wow, Samorukov and Popugaev so high.

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn84 View Post
Wow, Samorukov and Popugaev so high.
I like it. Big fan of Samorukov. I think HP was the first scouting service to have Juolevi and Sergachyov high last year too when many other had them in the teens or 20's still.

Old
09-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Breakers

The two top D-men are both right handed.

Breakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 11:45 AM
FinnishSniper

Vesalainen is an amazing prospect and he's 17th?

FinnishSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 12:40 PM
KillEmAll83

vCash: 50
A few comparisons to their summer rankings:

Vilardi moves from 3 to 2, bumping Liljegren back
Kostin hops from 15 to 4
Samorukov was not ranked and is now at 11
Tippett moves back from 4 to 14

These violent delights... have violent ends
KillEmAll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 01:40 PM
DJB

vCash: 4950
Weak draft to me this year unfortunately.

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

I think we may continue to see Liljegren slip in rankings due to mono. Even though I personally don't think it affects a player as much as some of these services think it does. Just delays their development a bit.

They look to a be a lot lower on Hague than other services. I think if he gets into the 40+ point range, which is very possible, he goes top 10.

People are real high on Kostin from one tourny we'll see how he handles the rest of the season. So far he is pointless in 5 KHL games.

Yamamoto continues to get criminally underrated by some services. Such is life with small guys. I'm sure some team like Tampa will take a chance on him and not be disappointed.

Popugayev is awfully high. I get to see a lot of this kid and he has some serious work cut out for him but he has a nice base to work from. Good size and a decent shot.

Rasmussen will go a lot higher to. 5 goals in 2 games so far for Tri-City. His blend of size and skill will likely put him a lot higher in the top 10 range.

Well see how this Alex Formenton's season plays out. EP has him listed at 6'1 - 159#.
Awfully lanky if that is the case. I'll keep an eye on him.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
JoakimTheSavior
Go Sharks!

vCash: 615
Woah, Alex Formenton is ranked high. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the course of the year with him.

JoakimTheSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
OHL, QMJHL and Russia are relatively weak this year. Unusually strong year for WHL, Czech, Finnish and Swedish prospects. American prospects are kind of in the middle with two very solid center prospects a few decent defencemen and one real high end goalie.

I think Ontario based publications hate this year because the WHL is on top for once. Patrick, Yamamoto, Mattheos, Rasmussen, Foote, Valimaki, Popugayev, Minulin, Fleury and Skinner make for one of the stronger classes to ever come out of the WHL in recent years. And that is just the surface. A few more will climb the rankings.

Still lots of guys to be excited about in the OHL though. Vilardi, Hague, Suzuki, Strome, Samorukov and Dipietro.

QMJHL is real weak depth wise but the top 4 are pretty solid in Comtois, Hischier, Morand and Bucek.

All in all a somewhat weak draft for real high end talent but a solid draft in terms of depth. Lots of potential in the top 60 and even beyond a little.

Old
09-28-2016, 02:20 PM
enj92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
OHL, QMJHL and Russia are relatively weak this year. Unusually strong year for WHL, Czech, Finnish and Swedish prospects. American prospects are kind of in the middle with two very solid center prospects a few decent defencemen and one real high end goalie.

I think Ontario based publications hate this year because the WHL is on top for once. Patrick, Yamamoto, Mattheos, Rasmussen, Foote, Valimaki, Popugayev, Minulin, Fleury and Skinner make for one of the stronger classes to ever come out of the WHL in recent years. And that is just the surface. A few more will climb the rankings.

Still lots of guys to be excited about in the OHL though. Vilardi, Hague, Suzuki, Strome, Samorukov and Dipietro.

QMJHL is real weak depth wise but the top 4 are pretty solid in Comtois, Hischier, Morand and Bucek.

All in all a somewhat weak draft for real high end talent but a solid draft in terms of depth. Lots of potential in the top 60 and even beyond a little.
How so? We have at least 5 kids with potential to be top-20 prospects at the draft day. I mean Kostin, Popugayev, Minulin, Samorukov and Rubinchik. Then we have some talented boys like Alexeyev, Ivanov, Slepets, Kozlov, Chekhovich, Koltygin etc. I believe it's pretty good year for us, not one of the greatest though.

enj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj92 View Post
How so? We have at least 5 kids with potential to be top-20 prospects at the draft day. I mean Kostin, Popugayev, Minulin, Samorukov and Rubinchik. Then we have some talented boys like Alexeyev, Ivanov, Slepets, Kozlov, Chekhovich, Koltygin etc. I believe it's pretty good year for us, not one of the greatest though.
Yeah I suppose you guys are having a decent year. I wouldn't put it any higher than what the OHL is producing this year. I'm not super high on the Russian prospects in this class. I actually think Minulin and Samorukov are the better of the bunch. No one really compares to Sergachev in 2016 or Provorov in 2015 for me though. I suppose the depth of Russian prospects is better than it has been in recent years. But I feel it's missing that must have Russian prospect of recent drafts.

Old
09-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Also is it just me or is it an unusually strong year for goalies. Someone pointed that out in another thread.

Jake Oettinger - 6'4 - 205 - USNT, USDP
Michael DiPietro - 6'0 - 192 - Windsor, OHL
Olle Eriksson-Ek - 6'2 - 187 - Färjestad, SHL
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - 6'4 - 190 - HPK, Liiga
Stuart Skinner - 6'3 - 209 - Lethbridge, WHL
Dayton Rasmussen - 6'2 - 201 - Tri-City, USHL
Keith Petruzzelli - 6'6 - 190 - Muskegon, USHL
Ian Scott - 6'3 - 168 - Prince Albert, WHL
David Otter - 6'2 - 181 - Leksands, SHL
Jordan Hollet - 6'5 - 194 - Regina, WHL
Maxim Zhukov - 6'3 - 181 - Green Bay, USHL

All these kids have some serious potential.

Old
09-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Also is it just me or is it an unusually strong year for goalies. Someone pointed that out in another thread.

Isn't Cayden Primeau supposed to be a pretty good goalie as well? Definitely seems like a strong year for goalies compared to recent years.

Old
09-28-2016, 03:29 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

The rankings will change. I have no idea how Yamamoto can be put ahead of Rasmussen but it's early.

landy92mack29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Atomos2
Neutral fan vote lol

vCash: 543
Anyone have a scouting report on Callan Foote?

6'4 209 pound righthanded D sounds pretty damn intriguing to me.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Isn't Cayden Primeau supposed to be a pretty good goalie as well? Definitely seems like a strong year for goalies compared to recent years.
Yrah I forgot him. From my limited viewings he didn't stand out to me but he has the potential just like Petruzzeli.

Old
09-28-2016, 03:41 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Anyone have a scouting report on Callan Foote?

6'4 209 pound righthanded D sounds pretty intriguing to me.
Currently the prospect I hope the Jets can land somehow. Very high IQ player who shines more in the defensive zone. Uses his positioning and stick very well and would probably best be described as a pass first defender. He is excellent at getting into shooting and passing lanes and breaks up play with ease. He is what I would call a pure shutdown and transition defender in the mold of Doughty and Vlasic. The kid uses his size really well and is strong and physical much like his old man. Despite his size he is very mobile. He likely won't put up huge points at the NHL but he has a lot more offensive game than his father did with solid vision and a good point shot.
So in a nutshell a big and strong shutdown defender who is an excellent passer which leads to him being a high possession transitional defencemen.

Old
09-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Atomos2
Neutral fan vote lol

vCash: 543
Quote:
Currently the prospect I hope the Jets can land somehow. Very high IQ player who shines more in the defensive zone. Uses his positioning and stick very well and would probably best be described as a pass first defender. He is excellent at getting into shooting and passing lanes and breaks up play with ease. He is what I would call a pure shutdown and transition defender in the mold of Doughty and Vlasic. The kid uses his size really well and is strong and physical much like his old man. Despite his size he is very mobile. He likely won't put up huge points at the NHL but he has a lot more offensive game than his father did with solid vision and a good point shot.
So in a nutshell a big and strong shutdown defender who is an excellent passer which leads to him being a high possession transitional defencemen.
Excellent analysis. Thank you, very much appreciated.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 04:56 PM
JoakimTheSavior
Go Sharks!

vCash: 615
Quote:

Petruzzelli and Primeau are my personal favorites heading into the season. I saw Petruzzelli at the showcase and I was impressed.

Muskegon is going to be bad, so Petruzzelli's numbers likely won't look good.

JoakimTheSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 05:08 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Agreed. Nolan Patrick, the consensus #1, looks like he could be a good #2 C. Downhill from there. Good year for goalies though in terms of volume of decent options.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyDestroyedNurse View Post
Petruzzelli and Primeau are my personal favorites heading into the season. I saw Petruzzelli at the showcase and I was impressed.

Muskegon is going to be bad, so Petruzzelli's numbers likely won't look good.
Yeah Petruzzelli's size alone will get him some looks from scouts though. Everyone is looking for the next Ben Bishop. I find with goalies you have to look at technique rather than numbers at these levels. If they have good technique, positioning, puck tracking and agility already at this age they have a lot to build on at the next level regardless of numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Agreed. Nolan Patrick, the consensus #1, looks like he could be a good #2 C. Downhill from there. Good year for goalies though in terms of volume of decent options.
I'd have to disagree. Patrick has 1C potential. Not sure how a good 2C puts up 100+ points in the WHL. Just because RNH and Reinhart are 2C's doesn't mean that makes every 100 point center out of the WHL a 2C. I keep hearing this like it's gospel. I've watched all of them play and Patrick was and is the better player. He's got 1C size already. Elite IQ and vision. He's not a speedster like most of the other 1C's taken recently. I think his closest comparables at the NHL level are guys like Getzlaf or Spezza or if he reaches his full potential a Kopitar like player. With the right deployment he can be a 1C. He may not be an elite 1C like McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews are slated to be. But he's still going to be a capable 1C.

Old
09-28-2016, 05:55 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:

I just think they think its a weak draft in general, no basis on location. Remember the 2013 draft (which was QMJHL heavy at the top) was considered very strong by all services, whereas 2014 which was Ontario heavy was considered quite weak. I'd say the major reasons this is a down draft is that the OHL and USNDP are having their weakest crops of talent in years, which significantly hurt the depth of the draft. I do think Patrick is getting underrated in some write-ups because he isn't a center prospect in the mould of Eichel, Matthews and Mackinnon (who were viewed in the tier below McDavid and Crosby with Tavares and Stamkos). But I don't think there is a heavy regional bias. I mean, the two weakest draft years according to most in recent years were 2012, 2011, and 2007, two of which were headlined by an OHL player.

I'd also add, this draft is overshadowed a bit by the talent in 2018. People are very excited for Veleno, Wise, Mekley, Svechnikov and Wilde.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2016, 06:02 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Yeah Petruzzelli's size alone will get him some looks from scouts though. Everyone is looking for the next Ben Bishop. I find with goalies you have to look at technique rather than numbers at these levels. If they have good technique, positioning, puck tracking and agility already at this age they have a lot to build on at the next level regardless of numbers.

I'd have to disagree. Patrick has 1C potential. Not sure how a good 2C puts up 100+ points in the WHL. Just because RNH and Reinhart are 2C's doesn't mean that makes every 100 point center out of the WHL a 2C. I keep hearing this like it's gospel. I've watched all of them play and Patrick was and is the better player. He's got 1C size already. Elite IQ and vision. He's not a speedster like most of the other 1C's taken recently. I think his closest comparables at the NHL level are guys like Getzlaf or Spezza or if he reaches his full potential a Kopitar like player. With the right deployment he can be a 1C. He may not be an elite 1C like McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews are slated to be. But he's still going to be a capable 1C.
I guess every team has to have one in theory. I just think with a game that is more and more becoming a speedsters game he may not have the gear to keep up with the leagues best down the middle. I see more Mikko Koivu/Adam Henrique/Jordan Staal/Tomas Plekanec type level with him. Good, valuable player you want to have on your team, but not quite elite.

Old
09-28-2016, 06:05 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
I just think they think its a weak draft in general, no basis on location. Remember the 2013 draft (which was QMJHL heavy at the top) was considered very strong by all services, whereas 2014 which was Ontario heavy was considered quite weak. I'd say the major reasons this is a down draft is that the OHL and USNDP are having their weakest crops of talent in years, which significantly hurt the depth of the draft. I do think Patrick is getting underrated in some write-ups because he isn't a center prospect in the mould of Eichel, Matthews and Mackinnon (who were viewed in the tier below McDavid and Crosby with Tavares and Stamkos). But I don't think there is a heavy regional bias. I mean, the two weakest draft years according to most in recent years were 2012, 2011, and 2007, two of which were headlined by an OHL player.

I'd also add, this draft is overshadowed a bit by the talent in 2018. People are very excited for Veleno, Wise, Mekley, Svechnikov and Wilde.