HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Advice needed

Old
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Advice needed

Evening lounge.

Not sure if this is thread worthy, but hey, its the lounge.

I am pretty disappointed listening to main stream radio. In fact , I usually stream Slacker radio and pick my old stand by's, but I feel like I am missing out on some good music. I am looking for some new bands to listen too but don't have the time to scour the Internet anymore. Sometimes I come across something that is interesting, but I am sure I have missed out on some good stuff. Looking for advice.

Here is my taste its wide and varied. Started young with the classic rock of 60-70s so no need to go there. (Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.)

I liked prog rock and rare stuff too. Soft machine, Gong, egg, Caravan, Camel, king Crimson, early Genesis, Robert Wyatt. Then I got into punk and new wave, the Clash were a fave along with Talking Heads, Japan, Stranglers, Iggy, Bowie

Then onto Husker Du, Minute men, Sugar, Firehose, Whiskey Towne, Wilco, Sparklehorse (really liked them) Pernice Bros, Richard Thompson. siger ros

So my currents tastes are more alt rock but not into heavy stuff, more interesting sounds, offbthe beaten track, with some creative pop sensibilitiesthrown in there. Think Robert Wyatt meets Sparklehorse smells Wilco cooks Flaming Lips.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Evening lounge.

Not sure if this is thread worthy, but hey, its the lounge.

I am pretty disappointed listening to main stream radio. In fact , I usually stream Slacker radio and pick my old stand by's, but I feel like I am missing out on some good music. I am looking for some new bands to listen too but don't have the time to scour the Internet anymore. Sometimes I come across something that is interesting, but I am sure I have missed out on some good stuff. Looking for advice.

Here is my taste its wide and varied. Started young with the classic rock of 60-70s so no need to go there. (Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.)

I liked prog rock and rare stuff too. Soft machine, Gong, egg, Caravan, Camel, king Crimson, early Genesis, Robert Wyatt. Then I got into punk and new wave, the Clash were a fave along with Talking Heads, Japan, Stranglers, Iggy, Bowie

Then onto Husker Du, Minute men, Sugar, Firehose, Whiskey Towne, Wilco, Sparklehorse (really liked them) Pernice Bros, Richard Thompson. siger ros

So my currents tastes are more alt rock but not into heavy stuff, more interesting sounds, offbthe beaten track, with some creative pop sensibilitiesthrown in there. Think Robert Wyatt meets Sparklehorse smells Wilco cooks Flaming Lips.
This is not the Lounge

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
This is not the Lounge

I would suggest Manchester Orchestra

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Unaffiliated

You don't have time to look up stuff on the internet but you have enough time to be a moderator on an internet forum?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

vCash: 500
Bright Eyes
Arcade Fire

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:27 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
You don't have time to look up stuff on the internet but you have enough time to be a moderator on an internet forum?

That's a disappointing response.

Old
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

The Novaks
Sam Roberts Band
Big Sugar

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Elever
Hth

They are not my fav bands but I started to listen to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Angels, The Duke Spirit, and The Strokes lately.....theu all have a cool sound so we can take up listening to them at the same time op.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Going by what you put in the OP, I think you'd like Kaipa if you haven't heard them before. I think they started out in the 70's or so and then seemed to call it a day until about 10-15 years ago when they reformed and have released a bunch of albums. They play a (sometimes very) proggy kind of rock with some pop elements thrown in and the occasional big dose of odd. Could be right up your street but you may have picked up on them the first time around

Some other (not so new) bands but have you heard much of:
- The Presidents of the United States of America
- Threshold
- Jadis

Presidents are a fun, light hearted rock band with some good energy, good for raising a smile. Some slightly poppy material although its most like a light punk rock. They had some hits when they first came out but their popularity faded pretty quick after that, in the mainstream at least. They continued to put out albums and kept that same spirit from the early material in the newer stuff.

Threshold are a prog metal band who have been going a while but don't get much recognition, especially in the mainstream. They may be a bit heavy for your liking but they aren't focused on being as heavy as they can be. They have some nice proggy sections, some more straight forward rock sections and a few ballads as well. The singing is almost exclusively done with a clean vocal tone and they try and keep a sense of melody in their work. Also one of my favourite bands for good, thoughtful lyrics as well.

Jadis, not heard as much of them but what I have heard is fairly light prog rock, good melodies and a bit of a kick of distortion sometimes, but not near as much as Threshold.

Might also be worth you checking out Brant Bjork's solo material. Mostly laid back fuzzy rock songs from what I've heard with a bit of pop thrown in as well. He was in Kyuss for a while (along with Josh Homme before he formed Queens of the Stone Age) and then moved onto playing with Fu Manchu (who in my mind are kinda like a 'modern' version of classic rock but might be a bit heavy for your tastes). Both those bands are heavier though than what I have heard of his solo stuff.

If you want any song suggestions then just say the word.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't heard of a lot of these bands, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.