HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout VII: I've walked for miles, my feet are hurting

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
du5566*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it should be gone about more prudently. Make one or two markets successful before moving in elsewhere.
That's the problem. The vision of expansion and growth by the NHL over the last 20 years has been wonderful. The execution of that vision has been piss poor!

Old
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Max Quackenbush

Players Win Another Lockout

So the owners squeeze the players yet again and then the players get a cap the same as this past year. They don't lose a year of free agency or have 5 year ELC's but are limited to 7 year contracts which likely only 5% of the NHL contracts exceed anyways. So after all this pathos, the cattle get what they want. The owners also carry all the risk that their lockout killed the game as the players get a guaranteed cap in the year following the lockout.
What did we learn:
Gary Betman is like a plague of locusts, Jacobs is a snake on a ladder and Daley should stick to watching Miami Dolphins football and leave hockey all together (BTW:why is this guy on the Hockey Hall of Fame committee, seriously?) Finally, we learned that the cattle drive the bus.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Not sure. I heard it on this site and guess I was just hoping it was true. I buy it every year because otherwise I would miss the great hockey played in the western conference. It would be nice for the NHL to do something for the fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Those aren't real rumours are they? I thought that was just something dreamed up here.
Quote:
Haha, well I hope the lockout ends and the rumors about free center ice this year are true. That way you can watch your Sabres for free in NC.
I heard this to through the grapevine....

Old
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Under an audit, the related party transactions would be duly noted. Therefore, hardly 'fantasy'.
Only if you're using US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (aka what they'd be using if the hawks were a publicly listed entity). Since they're not, they could be using any criteria for their accounting.

I suspect - and this is just a guess - that they are using the definition of hockey related revenue as noted in the CBA (for revenue). For costs - they can come up with whatever definition they want for their auditors to use (since its not in the CBA). Debt service costs (regardless of related party) would probably fall under that...

Old
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
madhi19

It been a long night and it barely 9:30 EST. I hate to say it but it look like it not happening tonight and if it is most of us will be sleeping when the news break out.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It been a long night and it barely 9:30 EST. I hate to say it but it look like it not happening tonight and if it is most of us will be sleeping when the news break out.
I hope that's not the case. I want to awake to scream at the top of my lungs.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:44 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
They can auction off the coin and the proceeds can be spilt between player pensions and the revenue share.
That's about the amount of money they are arguing about...

Old
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
Who gets to keep the coin?
heard Jeremy Jacobs slipped it into his pocket

Old
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
So the owners squeeze the players yet again and then the players get a cap the same as this past year. They don't lose a year of free agency or have 5 year ELC's but are limited to 7 year contracts which likely only 5% of the NHL contracts exceed anyways. So after all this pathos, the cattle get what they want. The owners also carry all the risk that their lockout killed the game as the players get a guaranteed cap in the year following the lockout.
What did we learn:
Gary Betman is like a plague of locusts, Jacobs is a snake on a ladder and Daley should stick to watching Miami Dolphins football and leave hockey all together (BTW:why is this guy on the Hockey Hall of Fame committee, seriously?) Finally, we learned that the cattle drive the bus.
Guaranteed cap means very little when the players still only get 50% of total revenues. Thus the risk is shared.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

nhl trying to keep a lid on news till Monday but boomer has news

Quote:
Boomer Esiason ‏@7BOOMERESIASON
My sources telling me, #NHL good to go. Let's get it on boys! #NYR

Old
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
I know Boomer is a big Ranger fan, but why would he know anything?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post
nhl trying to keep a lid on news till Monday but boomer has news
What sources would he have that people closer to this situation wouldn't?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

ok, let me counter all your doubt with 1 guy who has been on it throughout the whole thing.

Quote:
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Sources on both sides see Monday as likely date when all is settled. But could be late Sunday, as well

Tim, is a great reporter.

also go on Tsn.ca there newest latest video Darren pang is now back on TV that alone is all I need to see to know hockey is back.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
What sources would he have that people closer to this situation wouldn't?
No clue what he does or doesn't know... but Minny pulled Granlund from the warmup skate in Houston tonight. That would seem to indicate that Minny at least thinks they're damn close.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

here are a bunch more saying the same thing boomer, and Tim are already tweeting.

Quote:
Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican

I'm hearing that the #NHL #Lockout is over! Let's get back 2 watching the greatest gm on earth! & let's not allow this to ever happen again!

Quote:
Dominick Mastrangelo ‏@dmaster_92

Fingers crossed. “@BretHedican: Nothing official yet that I've heard, but several sources have said it's done. Let's hope this is Official!”
this thing is done. Too many reporters tweeting the same thing, and former players

Old
01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Yeah there are some signs, but aren't there always? At this point we should know not to jump the gun. Things can blow up just as easily(more easily, actually) before anything is signed.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
manisback121

This looks like both sides are within their authority, hence the leaks. I hope this is the case, but the leaks seem that way.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Yeah there are some signs, but aren't there always? At this point we should know not to jump the gun. Things can blow up just as easily(more easily, actually) before anything is signed.
look at it this way, this week is judgement week. and your right it could blow up in there face, but im thinking positive and based off of what has happen lately.

but make no mistake this is judgement week

new deal is reached

or season is cancelled which dissolves the union and they go to court.

right now everything is pointing to deal is done, thank god

Old
01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
ok, let me counter all your doubt with 1 guy who has been on it throughout the whole thing.

Tim, is a great reporter.

also go on Tsn.ca there newest latest video Darren pang is now back on TV that alone is all I need to see to know hockey is back.
No, not at all.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
here are a bunch more saying the same thing boomer, and Tim are already tweeting.

this thing is done. Too many reporters tweeting the same thing, and former players
That Hedican tweet is from HOURS ago and it clearly wasn't over then.

Old
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Knowing how this whole thing has gone they will make an announcement while everyone is sleeping, because they don't want all the fan backlash, they'll try to sweep this whole incident under the rug as much as they can.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Tim, in his reporting, is not bad. If you want his analysis and game-understandings, I'd rather get that from my cat

Old
01-05-2013, 10:22 PM
habsfanatics

I'm not really into a 48 game farce at all. I wish I could takee part in the excitement. This was the plan the entire time and neither side showed any regard for the fans.

I'll continue to focus on Jr hockey.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I'm not really into a 48 game farce at all. I wish I could takee part in the excitement. This was the plan the entire time and neither side showed any regard for the fans.

I'll continue to focus on Jr hockey.
If the Habs have a cup run something tells me you'll forget all about it.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
It's absolutely astonishing to people that people on a board called BUSINESS of hockey are arguing that Billionaire Business owners are ENTITLED to profit.

In an era when people are debating whether or not senior citizens are entitled to social securiity and retired workers are entitled to the pensions they were promised...

average folks are arguing that Billionaires are entitled to profits by clamping down on labor markets.

Bizarro world.
Not sure who was arguing owners are entitled to profits?

The owners are "entitled" to use the collective bargaining process to possibly create a business equation with the PA union where the owners are more likely to make profits. It's simply business at the end of the day.

Closed Thread