HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 07:35 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Alright guys, stick to Bills talk.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
So the players don't want to give up Kickoffs...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...hing-kickoffs/

Old
01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Loving that Pettine interview on bb.com. I very much approve.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-ce...0-8a09404f1f21

I love how aggressive he makes his defense sound! Anti-Wanny

Old
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Loving that Pettine interview on bb.com. I very much approve.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-ce...0-8a09404f1f21

I love how aggressive he makes his defense sound! Anti-Wanny
I love some of the stuff he says.

First, he's not going to impose a system...he's going to use mixed fronts but base his scheme off the personnel. So whether he uses 4-3 and 3-4 will depend on whether the players can do it best, not his ego (see: Williams, Gregg).

Second, attack and be relentless. Love that...sure sometimes you'll get burned, but let the players make big plays and it will be a net positive.

Those are very positive statements...but as the last 13 years have taught us, talk is cheap. But if they follow through on it...me gusta.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

The Hackett interview is hilarious. Alex Van Pelt a legendary quarterback? Really?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The Hackett interview is hilarious. Alex Van Pelt a legendary quarterback? Really?
Standards are low. Reich a career backup is legendary for the comeback!

Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I love some of the stuff he says.

First, he's not going to impose a system...he's going to use mixed fronts but base his scheme off the personnel. So whether he uses 4-3 and 3-4 will depend on whether the players can do it best, not his ego (see: Williams, Gregg).

Second, attack and be relentless. Love that...sure sometimes you'll get burned, but let the players make big plays and it will be a net positive.

Those are very positive statements...but as the last 13 years have taught us, talk is cheap. But if they follow through on it...me gusta.
Sounds like playing Madden online against some. It can be very effective but at the same time you can really get owned. I would like to see them go somewheres in the middle. It's not gunna be hard to outproduce the Wannster.

Just not sure they have the same type of talent he had in NY.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Sounds like playing Madden online against some. It can be very effective but at the same time you can really get owned. I would like to see them go somewheres in the middle. It's not gunna be hard to outproduce the Wannster.

Just not sure they have the same type of talent he had in NY.

If Pettine can bring the young corners along and implement a system similar (note: NOT the same) to the one he had in NY, I have hope that a solid, if not major, defensive turnaround is very possible. Haven't seen Hackett's interview.

I probably won't pay much more attention until the draft, especially with HOCKEY COMING BACK, but to summarize: happy with the new DC; happy, but tentative, about the HC hire; don't have much opinion on the OC. Nix cannot blow this FA/draft: QB, LB, WR and then think about the rest; Make the necessary resignings; And hang out with Regier and see if some of his black magic can rub off on you

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Haha I immediately started laughing when he said that and had to pause the interview. I'm really excited for Pettine and hoping for the best from Hackett.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Not a fan of the WGR opinion columns too much but I found this one by Simon to be pretty informative:

http://wgr550.com/Bills-OK-at-DC/15242033

Quote:
One league source told WGR Marrone wanted Pettine so badly that he flew to New York right after his introductory press conference on Monday.

Pettine should also give the Bills defense some badly needed creativity. The Jets used a base 3-4 but played a 4-3 at times in games and mixed in the old Buddy Ryan 46 defense, bringing 8 men up to the line of scrimmage.

They liked to use overload blitzes, sending multiple blitzers from one side of the defense. New York also had some packages with 7 defensive backs and used a 3 safety nickel package. According to Football Outsiders, the Jets blitzed 46% of the time in 2010 and 30% in 2011. According to the Buffalo News the Bills blitzed on less than 20% of the plays last season.

One possible problem Pettine might need to address is the Bills secondary. Ryan builds his defenses from the back and puts a lot of responsibility on the corners, who need to excel in man coverage, and the safeties.

As far as the Bills corners go, Stephon Gilmore looks like he will be able to handle that challenge but there are question marks all over the remainder of the depth chart at that position. Look for the Bills to address cornerback early in the draft and perhaps in free agency.

The hiring of Pettine and the secondary friendly scheme might help the Bills convince playmaking safety Jairus Byrd to forego free agency and stick around. Perhaps Pettine will push the Bills to go after Bell or Landry when the market opens up to bolster the position.

Jim Leonhard is another name to keep in mind. The former Buffalo Bill played 3 seasons for Ryan and Pettine and boasts the football smarts that are valued in their schemes. Leonhard is with the Denver Broncos but will also be a free agent in March.

As much as we talked about quarterback this past season, and understandably so, the defense killed the Bills. Going into the 2012 season, most of us thought a vastly improved defense would help spur the Bills into a playoff spot. That might happen one year later, thanks to the presence of Mike Pettine.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Damien Woody thinks bringing in Pettine will keep Byrd around:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...ious-bite.html

Quote:
Woody also predicted Bills free-agent safety Jairus Byrd wouldn't want to play anywhere else.

"In that defensive scheme it's about corners, safeties, cover guys," Woody said. "They like to bring rushes from everywhere. So I'm sure a play-maker like Jairus Byrd is not going anywhere.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm wondering whether Dee Milliner should be an option at #8. Gilmore/Milliner could lock down the corners for the foreseeable future.

Then again, we have so many needs...

Old
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm wondering whether Dee Milliner should be an option at #8. Gilmore/Milliner could lock down the corners for the foreseeable future.

he most certainly should be in the mix, I'd have no problems with that pick at 8.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Old Navy Goat

So much is predicated on free agency as the NFL is an immediate fix league for every team but the Bills, it'll be impossible to determine their primary need until we see who is brought in. The only need they won't address in UFA is a franchise quarterback but I don't think there'll be one that warrants the number 8 slot.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

I'd rather take the best LB available at 8 personally. We had the worst LB core in the league last year. They were absolutely dreadful.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
So much is predicated on free agency as the NFL is an immediate fix league for every team but the Bills, it'll be impossible to determine their primary need until we see who is brought in. The only need they won't address in UFA is a franchise quarterback but I don't think there'll be one that warrants the number 8 slot.
You're going to repeat this after last year's Free Agency?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I'd rather take the best LB available at 8 personally. We had the worst LB core in the league last year. They were absolutely dreadful.
I would too...I don't like the idea of going corner in back to back drafts while our LB is clearly our biggest need on defense. But Milliner does fit a need, and is projected to go around that time...LBs don't usually get taken that early. Might be a little too high for Teo, and who knows if Jones or Mingo will be on the board.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
You're going to repeat this after last year's Free Agency?
You know it...
last year upgrade defensive line - check
improve linebackers - did we even have one on the roster not named Nick Barnett?
improve receiving corps - um what receivers, a number 2, and 6 waiver fodder
improve secondary - found one corner via draft

Old
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
You know it...
last year upgrade defensive line - check
improve linebackers - did we even have one on the roster not named Nick Barnett?
improve receiving corps - um what receivers, a number 2, and 6 waiver fodder
improve secondary - found one corner via draft
I can't answer that.

I think maybe you're overestimating how many starting players teams actually sign in FA. Sure they can sign a bunch of backups, but there's no guarantee they'll be any better than draft picks or some of the camp fodder.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I can't answer that.

I think maybe you're overestimating how many starting players teams actually sign in FA. Sure they can sign a bunch of backups, but there's no guarantee they'll be any better than draft picks or some of the camp fodder.
I realize that, however when you look at some of the positions you can't tell me that there weren't better options out there in free agency after training camps ended than the Donald Jones' infecting the roster.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Absolutely he was legendary! Every.single.time he made it into a game the announcers had to mention how he broke all Dan Marino's records at Pitt. That's the legend of AVP right there.*

*Humor intended

Old
01-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Absolutely he was legendary! Every.single.time he made it into a game the announcers had to mention how he broke all Dan Marino's records at Pitt. That's the legend of AVP right there.*

*Humor intended
So he was the Nassib of his draft year then

Old
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post

*Humor intended
I thought he might have been going for a "legendarily terrible" kind of vibe.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:

Milliner is an option.

Te'O and Ogletree are options.

Warmack is an option if we don't re-up Levitre.

Heck, I think a DE is an option if one slips.

Just not a QB at 8. Please.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Ha, I read some article where Calvin Pace may want to come join Pettine, god I hope not.

Closed Thread