HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
whiplash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Not too shocked at Barnett. He was kind of a dumpster fire last year.

Wilson is kind of a surprise though. He was a Captain and who plays SS now? Searcy?
I'd flip that around... Wilson makes sense to drop. He missed more plays than he made last year and was making too much money. They'll be fine with Searcy and if they can grab another good CB in FA or draft, Williams can move to Safety.

Barnett I understand less as he was probably one of our better linebackers last year which, I know, isn't saying much, if anything. LB was already at the top of my list but it's there doubly so, now. What are we rolling with, Bradham, Morrison, Sheppard and White? That looks like a practice squad of LBs

Old
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Takeo

I'm fine with these cuts. Hopefully more to follow. But they are absolutely depleted at LB and CB. It's scary.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I'd flip that around... Wilson makes sense to drop. He missed more plays than he made last year and was making too much money. They'll be fine with Searcy and if they can grab another good CB in FA or draft, Williams can move to Safety.

Barnett I understand less as he was probably one of our better linebackers last year which, I know, isn't saying much, if anything. LB was already at the top of my list but it's there doubly so, now. What are we rolling with, Bradham, Morrison, Sheppard and White? That looks like a practice squad of LBs
Yeah, right now it's Bradham, Sheppard, White, Moats, Morrison. I expect they'll resign Scott for his versatility, but definitely they'll need to improve here.

UFA options are (no particular order):
Anthony Spencer
Paul Kruger
Shaun Phillips
Brian Urlacher (though I doubt he leaves Chicago)
Connor Barwin
Ray Maualuga
Philip Wheeler
Daryl Smith
Dannell Ellerbe
Brad Jones
Antwan Barnes
Justin Durant
Erin Henderson
Leroy Hill

Old
02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Sports Illustrated reporting that the Vikings will try to trade Percy Harvin. Still want.

Reported by Mike Max of WCCO Minneapolis actually. SI just re-reporting. Get him and Welker.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Sports Illustrated reporting that the Vikings will try to trade Percy Harvin. Still want.

Reported by Mike Max of WCCO Minneapolis actually. SI just re-reporting. Get him and Welker.
Yes please.

Also...the first major domino has fallen. Philly restructures Vick's deal, he's there for one more year and not hitting the market.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Yes please.

Also...the first major domino has fallen. Philly restructures Vick's deal, he's there for one more year and not hitting the market.
Yeah, glad he's not coming to Buffalo tbh. Not much in the way of QB upgrades unless they like someone in the draft. But that LB group is ugly, and the realistic free agents aren't looking great. Probably start getting my Alec Ogletree jersey now...

Old
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Takeo

Chris Brown thinks Yeremiah Bell is ticketed for OBD.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I don't know what to make of that.... don't love it, don't hate it. Depends on the price tag.

But we are SCARY thin at LB.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I don't know what to make of that.... don't love it, don't hate it. Depends on the price tag.

I don't know, the dude is 34 years old. I guess he could be insurance for Searcy.

It's looking more and more like #8 could be LB. If he tests out, I'd love Ansah in the rushing OLB mold.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I don't know, the dude is 34 years old. I guess he could be insurance for Searcy.

It's looking more and more like #8 could be LB. If he tests out, I'd love Ansah in the rushing OLB mold.
You have seen guys like Ansah go either way... Hope he's more a JPP type in terms of athleticism but no football knowledge coming into his draft year.

Why no Dion Jordan in that mold?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Not a doubt in my mind these players were cut to maintain Bryd and Levitre. Think the Bills go for a Free Agent WR and draft Defense first two rounds (with best QB available in the 3rd)

Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Takeo

Quote:

Why no Dion Jordan in that mold?
He reminds me too much of Maybin. Too lean. I think he's also having shoulder surgery which could bump him down a few picks.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:

Get real.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:21 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Too old. Now we are going after the Jets players, lol.

Barnett is slowing down some, I wouldn't mind cutting him but this is...you have to have a replacement option. He's better than the current ones. So what gives here

Old
02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
Get real.
Oh ok, I'll just totally ignore that these players are available then. Thanks for setting me straight!

Old
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
Get real.
A year ago you'd be saying the same thing if someone posted that they wanted Mario Williams.

Yeah, chances are low that it would actually happen...but it could. Let us have our dreams.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:18 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:

How about we get a franchise QB before we start making ancillary moves.

Until we get a franchise QB, this team will be a joke.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

I think once we see Pettine's scheme, we'll see it's not so bad. I sense Buffalo is going to run a cross between and under/over 4-3 and a 3-4. I think we'll see Dareus at NT, like he's been. I think KWilliams will stay at the under DT, flipping sides to the strong side of the formation. I think MWilliams will align as a strong slide DE, mostly like he's been doing.

Here's what I think Pettine will change: The right DE becomes the weakside DE and plays/aligns like a 3-4 DE. Alex Carrington is perfect for that job, and Mike Devito could be signed. The strongside OLB spot becomes a weakside OLB, and plays opposite MWilliams. Moats could do that, but Buffalo would need to draft/acquire a rusher.

Bradham and Sheppard become 3-4 style ILBs. White is a back up. Buffalo could sign Bart Scott for depth or to help teach, or just get another ILB. Or they could play Bradham at OLB and get two ILBs, one to start and one for depth.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
How about we get a franchise QB before we start making ancillary moves.

Until we get a franchise QB, this team will be a joke.
Of course. Because it's not possibly to make other moves while looking for a QB.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Oh ok, I'll just totally ignore that these players are available then. Thanks for setting me straight!
Welker and Harvin aren't good fits in this offense until they plan on going 4-5 wide a lot.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Welker and Harvin aren't good fits in this offense until they plan on going 4-5 wide a lot.
What are you talking about? How are WRs who are a lot better than anybody outside of Stevie not good fits?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think once we see Pettine's scheme, we'll see it's not so bad. I sense Buffalo is going to run a cross between and under/over 4-3 and a 3-4. I think we'll see Dareus at NT, like he's been. I think KWilliams will stay at the under DT, flipping sides to the strong side of the formation. I think MWilliams will align as a strong slide DE, mostly like he's been doing.

Here's what I think Pettine will change: The right DE becomes the weakside DE and plays/aligns like a 3-4 DE. Alex Carrington is perfect for that job, and Mike Devito could be signed. The strongside OLB spot becomes a weakside OLB, and plays opposite MWilliams. Moats could do that, but Buffalo would need to draft/acquire a rusher.

Bradham and Sheppard become 3-4 style ILBs. White is a back up. Buffalo could sign Bart Scott for depth or to help teach, or just get another ILB. Or they could play Bradham at OLB and get two ILBs, one to start and one for depth.
Is that like the 4-3 Over formation in Madden? I can see it.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
What are you talking about? How are WRs who are a lot better than anybody outside of Stevie not good fits?
Welker runs a lot of option routes (Buffalo doesn't). Harvin does a lot of slip screens (Buffalo does not). Jennings and Bowe are more natural fits.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Welker runs a lot of option routes (Buffalo doesn't).
Buffalo literally had their #1 receiver play yardball on his routes. I doubt they'd try to restrict Welker.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Buffalo literally had their #1 receiver play yardball on his routes. I doubt they'd try to restrict Welker.
No Stevie Johnson did not play "yardball" last season, he's a phenomenal route runner and creates separation by avoiding contact.

Now if the Bills draft a QB and he starts this changes but Welker runs routes that he gets to decide how he wants to attack the defense. Tom Brady and a good O-Line allow Welker to do this.... Buffalo doesn't have that QB or O-Line to allow Welker the necessary time to break away from the defender and lacks a QB that can anticipate what he'll do.

Closed Thread