HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
  #176
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Except then you're wasting money and cap space on Fitz sitting on the bench. If he's not going to play here next season, there's zero reason for him to be on the roster. I don't know what you consider "starting over" either. Starting over from what, a losing team?
So because it was a losing team there is nothing worth keeping? With that philosophy, let's trade Spiller and Stevie and let Byrd go. They can't be any good because we had a losing team.

In order to improve you need to replace current players with better players. Removing Ryan Fitzpatrick, that was better than 15 NFL QBs or more in just about every category this season, and replacing him with say this year's Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder or Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden doesn't make the team better. He even had a better season than No. 1 overall picks Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford and Andrew Luck. Any of the rookies I mentioned can certainly become better than Fitzpatrick, but right now they aren't. If we draft someone that is better, I am ALL FOR IT. But until we have a better player on the roster why get rid of Fitzpatrick? You can say money, although I think that is a poor excuse with this team, but if the QB is so important, shouldn't we do whatever we can to have the best QB on the roster we can get?

Digable5 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
  #177
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
So because it was a losing team there is nothing worth keeping? With that philosophy, let's trade Spiller and Stevie and let Byrd go. They can't be any good because we had a losing team.
There are pieces that should be kept. Fitz isn't one of them.

Myllz is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
  #178
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
As I've stated here before, I don't think Griffin will hold up well in the NFL. He's showing that in his first playoff game.

enrothorne is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
  #179
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
As I've stated here before, I don't think Griffin will hold up well in the NFL. He's showing that in his first playoff game.
Yup. Bob Griffin The Third wrecked himself today basically. Glad the Bills didn't trade up for him. Was a lot of chatter of drafting Wilson, should have. I can't figure it out either, him and Bob Griffin play the same style yet he's WAY HEALTHIER!

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  #180
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
There are pieces that should be kept. Fitz isn't one of them.
They need a capable QB. Pig Pen and TJax aren't that. So you're banking on a draft pick or signing some free agent. The free agent QB class looks weak. Smith is basically Fitz.

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
  #181
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,042
vCash: 500
No, he isn't, but keep saying that.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
  #182
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
There are pieces that should be kept. Fitz isn't one of them.
Why isn't he one of them exactly? They don't have someone better. We don't need to get rid of him to bring in someone new. So, wouldn't the smart thing be to keep him until someone beats him out for the job?

I hate hearing complaints about Fitzpatrick. Give me a solution. A specific solution. Who are we going to get that will be better than Fitzpatrick next year? Joe Flacco? I would like him but he had a worse completion percentage and less TDs. Besides, he will likely be resigned.

Your other free agent options, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Drew Stanton?

Trade options: Matt Flynn? What has he proven?

Alex Smith and Mike Vick are the only possible options and there is no way they are a lock to be better. Vick certainly hasn't been better this season. Alex Smith with Harbaugh has been respectable. IS Harbaugh coming with him? He was so good that Harbaugh benched him. Harbaugh's such a genius why did he bring back Smith if he already had Kaepernick? Because Smith was the best option at the time and was eventually beaten out by Kaepernick. They way you should do it.

How about the draft? Geno Smith? Haha. No. Mike Glennon and his sub 60% completion percentage in college? No. Maybe Murray or Boyd or Nassib? Marrone himself brought Nassib along slowly and he and the team were better for it. If they draft any of these guys and they beat out Fitz good riddance, but if they can't I'd rather have the better player.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
  #183
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
No, he isn't, but keep saying that.
If Smith was so good he wouldn't be the backup to Kapernick right now(even if the styles are a bit different)

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
  #184
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Why isn't he one of them exactly? They don't have someone better. We don't need to get rid of him to bring in someone new. So, wouldn't the smart thing be to keep him until someone beats him out for the job?

I hate hearing complaints about Fitzpatrick. Give me a solution. A specific solution. Who are we going to get that will be better than Fitzpatrick next year? Joe Flacco? I would like him but he had a worse completion percentage and less TDs. Besides, he will likely be resigned.

Your other free agent options, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Drew Stanton?

Trade options: Matt Flynn? What has he proven?

Alex Smith and Mike Vick are the only possible options and there is no way they are a lock to be better. Vick certainly hasn't been better this season. Alex Smith with Harbaugh has been respectable. IS Harbaugh coming with him? He was so good that Harbaugh benched him. Harbaugh's such a genius why did he bring back Smith if he already had Kaepernick? Because Smith was the best option at the time and was eventually beaten out by Kaepernick. They way you should do it.

How about the draft? Geno Smith? Haha. No. Mike Glennon and his sub 60% completion percentage in college? No. Maybe Murray or Boyd or Nassib? Marrone himself brought Nassib along slowly and he and the team were better for it. If they draft any of these guys and they beat out Fitz good riddance, but if they can't I'd rather have the better player.
Vick? Pass. Forget the terrible play, he's cancerous individual.

Matt Moore is the only guy you named that I would be fine if they explored. He showed some flashes in Miami but at the sametime I don't think theres much there over the course of a whole year.

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
  #185
missingmika
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Yup. Bob Griffin The Third wrecked himself today basically. Glad the Bills didn't trade up for him. Was a lot of chatter of drafting Wilson, should have. I can't figure it out either, him and Bob Griffin play the same style yet he's WAY HEALTHIER!
Well, he goes by Robert, not Bob...after his performance all year and his grit tonight and vs. Baltimore, I wish the Bills had a qb like him. Ask any Skins fan and they'd do that trade every day of the week.

missingmika is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  #186
thecatch22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
I think T'eo falls to 8 and they can grab the Syracuse QB the new coach undoubtedly wants in the 2nd round.

thecatch22 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
  #187
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Why isn't he one of them exactly? They don't have someone better. We don't need to get rid of him to bring in someone new. So, wouldn't the smart thing be to keep him until someone beats him out for the job?

I hate hearing complaints about Fitzpatrick. Give me a solution. A specific solution. Who are we going to get that will be better than Fitzpatrick next year? Joe Flacco? I would like him but he had a worse completion percentage and less TDs. Besides, he will likely be resigned.

Your other free agent options, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Drew Stanton?

Trade options: Matt Flynn? What has he proven?

Alex Smith and Mike Vick are the only possible options and there is no way they are a lock to be better. Vick certainly hasn't been better this season. Alex Smith with Harbaugh has been respectable. IS Harbaugh coming with him? He was so good that Harbaugh benched him. Harbaugh's such a genius why did he bring back Smith if he already had Kaepernick? Because Smith was the best option at the time and was eventually beaten out by Kaepernick. They way you should do it.

How about the draft? Geno Smith? Haha. No. Mike Glennon and his sub 60% completion percentage in college? No. Maybe Murray or Boyd or Nassib? Marrone himself brought Nassib along slowly and he and the team were better for it. If they draft any of these guys and they beat out Fitz good riddance, but if they can't I'd rather have the better player.
He's not one of them because he's terrible. You're trapped in the thinking that they absolutely have to have someone who's proven they're better in order to move forward, which isn't true. Everyone knows he isn't the guy the Bills are going to be going with, so there's no reason to delay the obvious and keep him just because you're afraid someone else can't replace him.

Myllz is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
  #188
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek
 
Gerbe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
I think T'eo falls to 8 and they can grab the Syracuse QB the new coach undoubtedly wants in the 2nd round.

He can't play in the cold pass

Gerbe42 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
  #189
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
He's not one of them because he's terrible. You're trapped in the thinking that they absolutely have to have someone who's proven they're better in order to move forward, which isn't true. Everyone knows he isn't the guy the Bills are going to be going with, so there's no reason to delay the obvious and keep him just because you're afraid someone else can't replace him.
Fitzpatrick is so terrible and yet you can't give me one name of a player we could realistically have next year that we can all agree is better than him. I have no problem getting rid of Fitzpatrick, but he's better than Edwards and Losman and Brohm and Alex Van Pelt and Todd Collins and Rob Johnson. We've tried trading for a franchise QB before. We've tried drafting a franchise QB before. Franchise QBs don't typically hit the open market. I'm saying bring any two players in that you want.

If you are right that FItzpatrick is so terrible then he will be replaced in short order. But, if Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win next year, I want him on the field. I want to win games, I don't want another experiment behind center.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
  #190
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
He can't play in the cold pass
Isn't that what they said about Aaron Rodgers too?

Cold-weather areas aren't producing high-end QBs. If we wait around for one, we'll be waiting for a long time.

A good QB will be able to throw in any weather.

New Sabres Captain is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
  #191
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Fitzpatrick is so terrible and yet you can't give me one name of a player we could realistically have next year that we can all agree is better than him. I have no problem getting rid of Fitzpatrick, but he's better than Edwards and Losman and Brohm and Alex Van Pelt and Todd Collins and Rob Johnson. We've tried trading for a franchise QB before. We've tried drafting a franchise QB before. Franchise QBs don't typically hit the open market. I'm saying bring any two players in that you want.

If you are right that FItzpatrick is so terrible then he will be replaced in short order. But, if Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win next year, I want him on the field. I want to win games, I don't want another experiment behind center.
Which is the fundamental difference. The Bills are bringing in a brand new staff and brand new schemes. There's an extremely small chance they're going to have a winning record next year as it is, Fitzpatrick or not. Next year should be about getting the guys in that they want and starting to shape the roster as needed to run their schemes. If a new QB is a part of that, regardless if he's proven to be better than Fitzpatrick or not, then do it. You have to expect to have initial losing results in order to make meaningful changes.

Myllz is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
  #192
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Which is the fundamental difference. The Bills are bringing in a brand new staff and brand new schemes. There's an extremely small chance they're going to have a winning record next year as it is, Fitzpatrick or not. Next year should be about getting the guys in that they want and starting to shape the roster as needed to run their schemes. If a new QB is a part of that, regardless if he's proven to be better than Fitzpatrick or not, then do it. You have to expect to have initial losing results in order to make meaningful changes.
I would have to think that if they come in and cut Fitzpatrick and bring in a Alex Smith type QB and build the offence around Spiller with the talent on the defensive side of the ball, they could very easily be a team contending for a playoff spot.

Woodman19 is online now  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
  #193
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I would have to think that if they come in and cut Fitzpatrick and bring in a Alex Smith type QB and build the offence around Spiller with the talent on the defensive side of the ball, they could very easily be a team contending for a playoff spot.
It's possible, but still unlikely. It usually takes time to adjust to a completely new staff with new schemes.

Myllz is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
  #194
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Franchise QBs are hard to find, not even half the league has what you would call "franchise QB's" It's more like what Buffalo has, stop gap and or serviceable. Theres so few Rodgers, Bradys and Brees out there.

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
  #195
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
Well, he goes by Robert, not Bob...after his performance all year and his grit tonight and vs. Baltimore, I wish the Bills had a qb like him. Ask any Skins fan and they'd do that trade every day of the week.
Would take Russell wilson(many analysts thought they would draft him in Round 2) I believe both mcShay and Kiper had him on their board.

No way would I trade 4 picks for Griffin. It's even a bit more curious when you look at they drafted Kurt Cousins as well. That should tell you something, they know a running QB like Griffin won't last long term. They never do(Vick barely counts)

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
  #196
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,328
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
In terms of RGIII as a player, despite the steep price he's worth it in the right situation. But the fact that he's going to be continually injured in his career -- often when it counts (playoffs) -- it probably isn't. That's a sad truth if indeed it is true, but that's how it is. The fact they also have Cousins does mitigate that risk a bit, but he's not going to remain there as a back-up for any longer than he has to.

Paxon is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
  #197
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Cousins has looked good but RGIII is a different dynamic. Totally changes the game, I think the Skins are good but Cousins/RGIII I think take them to seperate places. RGIII can overcome things with his legs, hes dangerous to a D. With Cousins you make him beat you. You know he's not going to run over you.

Rumors say it could be a broken leg for Griffin. When I watched that play I immediately was thinking ACL or MCL. He also wasn't even supposed to be playing in December. Theres some speculation he maybe shouldn't have been allowed to play today.

He brings a lot to the table but if he can't stay on the field is it worth it?!

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
  #198
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
Maaaaaaaaarrrrrone.

I like it. No retread. Boom or bust. Will certainly be looking to upgrade the QB position, just hoping it's not in the form of Abu.

jBuds is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 AM
  #199
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Which is the fundamental difference. The Bills are bringing in a brand new staff and brand new schemes. There's an extremely small chance they're going to have a winning record next year as it is, Fitzpatrick or not. Next year should be about getting the guys in that they want and starting to shape the roster as needed to run their schemes. If a new QB is a part of that, regardless if he's proven to be better than Fitzpatrick or not, then do it. You have to expect to have initial losing results in order to make meaningful changes.
First, I have seen every game Doug Marrone has coached at Syracuse (a good number of them 2 or 3 times) and I think Fitzpatrick would do fairly well in the offenses he has had. Especially because Ryan Nassib, his QB at Syracuse, is pretty similar as I've said here before. Fitz does some things better and Nassib does some things better.

If they are installing an offense that they don't believe Fitzpatrick will succeed in that's a totally different story. That means they have evaluated what they have and don't believe he's a good fit. Fine by me. Bring in who you think is the best fit. But I don't just cut Fitzpatrick because he's not an elite QB. He's better than half the NFL QBs in completion percentage and he's in the upper half of TDs.

Get me someone that proves they are better in training camp or even minicamp and then you can consider dropping him. Starting from day one isn't always the best answer either. Ryan Nassib was brought along slowly at Syracuse and maybe being brought along slowly at the NFL level wouldn't be such a bad idea. It seems to have worked for Marrone before and Harbaugh with Kaepernick.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
  #200
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,065
vCash: 500
Looks like the Jets might get better:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ing-to-polian/

I disagree about Polian though. He's ancient now and Indy was a lot of luck. That team wasn't that good Peyton was just that great that he could hide all the deficiencies they had.

Sports Enthusiast is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.