HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bills Off-Season 2013 Style (Wilson, Barnett, McGee released, T Jackson re-signed)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Except then you're wasting money and cap space on Fitz sitting on the bench. If he's not going to play here next season, there's zero reason for him to be on the roster. I don't know what you consider "starting over" either. Starting over from what, a losing team?
So because it was a losing team there is nothing worth keeping? With that philosophy, let's trade Spiller and Stevie and let Byrd go. They can't be any good because we had a losing team.

In order to improve you need to replace current players with better players. Removing Ryan Fitzpatrick, that was better than 15 NFL QBs or more in just about every category this season, and replacing him with say this year's Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder or Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden doesn't make the team better. He even had a better season than No. 1 overall picks Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford and Andrew Luck. Any of the rookies I mentioned can certainly become better than Fitzpatrick, but right now they aren't. If we draft someone that is better, I am ALL FOR IT. But until we have a better player on the roster why get rid of Fitzpatrick? You can say money, although I think that is a poor excuse with this team, but if the QB is so important, shouldn't we do whatever we can to have the best QB on the roster we can get?

Old
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
So because it was a losing team there is nothing worth keeping? With that philosophy, let's trade Spiller and Stevie and let Byrd go. They can't be any good because we had a losing team.
There are pieces that should be kept. Fitz isn't one of them.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
As I've stated here before, I don't think Griffin will hold up well in the NFL. He's showing that in his first playoff game.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
As I've stated here before, I don't think Griffin will hold up well in the NFL. He's showing that in his first playoff game.
Yup. Bob Griffin The Third wrecked himself today basically. Glad the Bills didn't trade up for him. Was a lot of chatter of drafting Wilson, should have. I can't figure it out either, him and Bob Griffin play the same style yet he's WAY HEALTHIER!

Old
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
They need a capable QB. Pig Pen and TJax aren't that. So you're banking on a draft pick or signing some free agent. The free agent QB class looks weak. Smith is basically Fitz.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

No, he isn't, but keep saying that.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Why isn't he one of them exactly? They don't have someone better. We don't need to get rid of him to bring in someone new. So, wouldn't the smart thing be to keep him until someone beats him out for the job?

I hate hearing complaints about Fitzpatrick. Give me a solution. A specific solution. Who are we going to get that will be better than Fitzpatrick next year? Joe Flacco? I would like him but he had a worse completion percentage and less TDs. Besides, he will likely be resigned.

Your other free agent options, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Drew Stanton?

Trade options: Matt Flynn? What has he proven?

Alex Smith and Mike Vick are the only possible options and there is no way they are a lock to be better. Vick certainly hasn't been better this season. Alex Smith with Harbaugh has been respectable. IS Harbaugh coming with him? He was so good that Harbaugh benched him. Harbaugh's such a genius why did he bring back Smith if he already had Kaepernick? Because Smith was the best option at the time and was eventually beaten out by Kaepernick. They way you should do it.

How about the draft? Geno Smith? Haha. No. Mike Glennon and his sub 60% completion percentage in college? No. Maybe Murray or Boyd or Nassib? Marrone himself brought Nassib along slowly and he and the team were better for it. If they draft any of these guys and they beat out Fitz good riddance, but if they can't I'd rather have the better player.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
No, he isn't, but keep saying that.
If Smith was so good he wouldn't be the backup to Kapernick right now(even if the styles are a bit different)

Old
01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Why isn't he one of them exactly? They don't have someone better. We don't need to get rid of him to bring in someone new. So, wouldn't the smart thing be to keep him until someone beats him out for the job?

I hate hearing complaints about Fitzpatrick. Give me a solution. A specific solution. Who are we going to get that will be better than Fitzpatrick next year? Joe Flacco? I would like him but he had a worse completion percentage and less TDs. Besides, he will likely be resigned.

Your other free agent options, Jason Campbell, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Drew Stanton?

Alex Smith and Mike Vick are the only possible options and there is no way they are a lock to be better. Vick certainly hasn't been better this season. Alex Smith with Harbaugh has been respectable. IS Harbaugh coming with him? He was so good that Harbaugh benched him. Harbaugh's such a genius why did he bring back Smith if he already had Kaepernick? Because Smith was the best option at the time and was eventually beaten out by Kaepernick. They way you should do it.

How about the draft? Geno Smith? Haha. No. Mike Glennon and his sub 60% completion percentage in college? No. Maybe Murray or Boyd or Nassib? Marrone himself brought Nassib along slowly and he and the team were better for it. If they draft any of these guys and they beat out Fitz good riddance, but if they can't I'd rather have the better player.
Vick? Pass. Forget the terrible play, he's cancerous individual.

Matt Moore is the only guy you named that I would be fine if they explored. He showed some flashes in Miami but at the sametime I don't think theres much there over the course of a whole year.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
missingmika

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Yup. Bob Griffin The Third wrecked himself today basically. Glad the Bills didn't trade up for him. Was a lot of chatter of drafting Wilson, should have. I can't figure it out either, him and Bob Griffin play the same style yet he's WAY HEALTHIER!
Well, he goes by Robert, not Bob...after his performance all year and his grit tonight and vs. Baltimore, I wish the Bills had a qb like him. Ask any Skins fan and they'd do that trade every day of the week.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
thecatch22

I think T'eo falls to 8 and they can grab the Syracuse QB the new coach undoubtedly wants in the 2nd round.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:

He's not one of them because he's terrible. You're trapped in the thinking that they absolutely have to have someone who's proven they're better in order to move forward, which isn't true. Everyone knows he isn't the guy the Bills are going to be going with, so there's no reason to delay the obvious and keep him just because you're afraid someone else can't replace him.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
I think T'eo falls to 8 and they can grab the Syracuse QB the new coach undoubtedly wants in the 2nd round.

He can't play in the cold pass

Old
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Digable5

Quote:
He's not one of them because he's terrible. You're trapped in the thinking that they absolutely have to have someone who's proven they're better in order to move forward, which isn't true. Everyone knows he isn't the guy the Bills are going to be going with, so there's no reason to delay the obvious and keep him just because you're afraid someone else can't replace him.
Fitzpatrick is so terrible and yet you can't give me one name of a player we could realistically have next year that we can all agree is better than him. I have no problem getting rid of Fitzpatrick, but he's better than Edwards and Losman and Brohm and Alex Van Pelt and Todd Collins and Rob Johnson. We've tried trading for a franchise QB before. We've tried drafting a franchise QB before. Franchise QBs don't typically hit the open market. I'm saying bring any two players in that you want.

If you are right that FItzpatrick is so terrible then he will be replaced in short order. But, if Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win next year, I want him on the field. I want to win games, I don't want another experiment behind center.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
He can't play in the cold pass
Isn't that what they said about Aaron Rodgers too?

Cold-weather areas aren't producing high-end QBs. If we wait around for one, we'll be waiting for a long time.

A good QB will be able to throw in any weather.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Fitzpatrick is so terrible and yet you can't give me one name of a player we could realistically have next year that we can all agree is better than him. I have no problem getting rid of Fitzpatrick, but he's better than Edwards and Losman and Brohm and Alex Van Pelt and Todd Collins and Rob Johnson. We've tried trading for a franchise QB before. We've tried drafting a franchise QB before. Franchise QBs don't typically hit the open market. I'm saying bring any two players in that you want.

If you are right that FItzpatrick is so terrible then he will be replaced in short order. But, if Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win next year, I want him on the field. I want to win games, I don't want another experiment behind center.
Which is the fundamental difference. The Bills are bringing in a brand new staff and brand new schemes. There's an extremely small chance they're going to have a winning record next year as it is, Fitzpatrick or not. Next year should be about getting the guys in that they want and starting to shape the roster as needed to run their schemes. If a new QB is a part of that, regardless if he's proven to be better than Fitzpatrick or not, then do it. You have to expect to have initial losing results in order to make meaningful changes.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Which is the fundamental difference. The Bills are bringing in a brand new staff and brand new schemes. There's an extremely small chance they're going to have a winning record next year as it is, Fitzpatrick or not. Next year should be about getting the guys in that they want and starting to shape the roster as needed to run their schemes. If a new QB is a part of that, regardless if he's proven to be better than Fitzpatrick or not, then do it. You have to expect to have initial losing results in order to make meaningful changes.
I would have to think that if they come in and cut Fitzpatrick and bring in a Alex Smith type QB and build the offence around Spiller with the talent on the defensive side of the ball, they could very easily be a team contending for a playoff spot.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I would have to think that if they come in and cut Fitzpatrick and bring in a Alex Smith type QB and build the offence around Spiller with the talent on the defensive side of the ball, they could very easily be a team contending for a playoff spot.
It's possible, but still unlikely. It usually takes time to adjust to a completely new staff with new schemes.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Franchise QBs are hard to find, not even half the league has what you would call "franchise QB's" It's more like what Buffalo has, stop gap and or serviceable. Theres so few Rodgers, Bradys and Brees out there.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
Well, he goes by Robert, not Bob...after his performance all year and his grit tonight and vs. Baltimore, I wish the Bills had a qb like him. Ask any Skins fan and they'd do that trade every day of the week.
Would take Russell wilson(many analysts thought they would draft him in Round 2) I believe both mcShay and Kiper had him on their board.

No way would I trade 4 picks for Griffin. It's even a bit more curious when you look at they drafted Kurt Cousins as well. That should tell you something, they know a running QB like Griffin won't last long term. They never do(Vick barely counts)

Old
01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
In terms of RGIII as a player, despite the steep price he's worth it in the right situation. But the fact that he's going to be continually injured in his career -- often when it counts (playoffs) -- it probably isn't. That's a sad truth if indeed it is true, but that's how it is. The fact they also have Cousins does mitigate that risk a bit, but he's not going to remain there as a back-up for any longer than he has to.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Cousins has looked good but RGIII is a different dynamic. Totally changes the game, I think the Skins are good but Cousins/RGIII I think take them to seperate places. RGIII can overcome things with his legs, hes dangerous to a D. With Cousins you make him beat you. You know he's not going to run over you.

Rumors say it could be a broken leg for Griffin. When I watched that play I immediately was thinking ACL or MCL. He also wasn't even supposed to be playing in December. Theres some speculation he maybe shouldn't have been allowed to play today.

He brings a lot to the table but if he can't stay on the field is it worth it?!

Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Maaaaaaaaarrrrrone.

I like it. No retread. Boom or bust. Will certainly be looking to upgrade the QB position, just hoping it's not in the form of Abu.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Digable5

Quote:
First, I have seen every game Doug Marrone has coached at Syracuse (a good number of them 2 or 3 times) and I think Fitzpatrick would do fairly well in the offenses he has had. Especially because Ryan Nassib, his QB at Syracuse, is pretty similar as I've said here before. Fitz does some things better and Nassib does some things better.

If they are installing an offense that they don't believe Fitzpatrick will succeed in that's a totally different story. That means they have evaluated what they have and don't believe he's a good fit. Fine by me. Bring in who you think is the best fit. But I don't just cut Fitzpatrick because he's not an elite QB. He's better than half the NFL QBs in completion percentage and he's in the upper half of TDs.

Get me someone that proves they are better in training camp or even minicamp and then you can consider dropping him. Starting from day one isn't always the best answer either. Ryan Nassib was brought along slowly at Syracuse and maybe being brought along slowly at the NFL level wouldn't be such a bad idea. It seems to have worked for Marrone before and Harbaugh with Kaepernick.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Looks like the Jets might get better:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ing-to-polian/

I disagree about Polian though. He's ancient now and Indy was a lot of luck. That team wasn't that good Peyton was just that great that he could hide all the deficiencies they had.

Closed Thread