HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Wouldn't want MacArthur as he's not an upgrade on what we have. I would, however, do that deal if it were Lupul instead of MacArthur.
I don't disagree with you entirely, but you know that only a year ago Macarthur was coming off a 62 point season and Lupul a 33 point season?

Both players are inconsistent, and while obviously I prefer Lupul right now, it bears keeping in mind that their value could drastically change within a year.

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
well with john shannon saying he will be a leaf I can't wait to put this to bed haven't said this in months GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
Beezeral

Quote:
This is the first time I've ever seen someone say that holding on to an elite goalie is a bad move. I just don't understand the logic behind that.
Holding onto an elite goalie is not a bad move.

Holding onto an elite goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit, when you just paid his heir apparent 4 million per, and your team is going to be pressed up against the cap next season while needing to find money to resign some key guys is a bad move.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Ricky Bobby

Was just watching Sportsnet. Shannon and Kyper were joking but in a serious way that the deal is Bozak and Kadri.

And from the way they were talking it seemed all but certain Luongo was coming to the Leafs.

Old
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Disagree. Kadri hasn't shown much at the NHL level, whereas Luongo is an established top 5 goalie. From a Canucks perspective as well, Kadri is the type of player who would clash with Vigneault. I don't see him being successful here so it would be a waste of a trade.

I disgaree, I think he has gotten questionable treatment from the leafs, and from our perspective he is NHL ready and even if he doesn't take a big role on our team he has the potential to be an impact player down the road and add much needed quality to our prospect pool which is very bare, that's a guy I would want in the deal.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
That is probably the absolute max possible return for luongo.

My prediction of the panthers final offer would be:

Matthias/shore +ellerby+ non-first round pick for luongo.

Canucks get a 3rd/4th line C who has established a place in the NHL or a solid Prospect, and a young defenseman that can play immediately on the 3rd pairing and a pick.

Seems like that solves everyone's problems.
If he goes to Florida I would expect something like Petrovic + Matthias + 1st or Petrovic + Goc + 2nd

Perhaps subbing in Shore or adding Upshall for salary reasons. It's hardly breaking the bank, but still gives us solid depth everywhere apart from our top-6 RW spot, which can hopefully be filled by Kassian or Jensen within the next few seasons.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Canucks get a 3rd/4th line C who has established a place in the NHL or a solid Prospect, and a young defenseman that can play immediately on the 3rd pairing and a pick.

Not a chance. Matthias isn't anything special, and Ellerby is a 7th defenseman here at best. No first round pick likely means no deal unless we're getting something valuable back and I really don't see anything valuable in what you've offered. Doesn't solve any problems for us at all. Not to mention that Ellerby is a left side defenseman and we are absolutely stacked there.

01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I disgaree, I think he has gotten questionable treatment from the leafs, and from our perspective he is NHL ready and even if he doesn't take a big role on our team he has the potential to be an impact player down the road and add much needed quality to our prospect pool which is very bare, that's a guy I would want in the deal.
Okay disagree all you want but where in our lineup does he play?

Old
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Wouldn't want MacArthur as he's not an upgrade on what we have. I would, however, do that deal if it were Lupul instead of MacArthur.
I can understand that, as many wanted Upshall on the Canucks boards and I made the same argument, we have alot of 2nd/3rd liners (Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, even Kassian is perhaps there) And McArthur is kind of in that area too, I just think he is a bit better than all of those guys, he brings a solid all round game and I think could flourish and show his full potential on our squad. I do see your point though.

I doubt they trade Lupul.

Quote:

Hmmm..

Shore + Ellerby + 2nd for Luongo..

Not terrible, I actually like Ellerby alot but Ellerby just isn't a need now IMO, if this is at the end of the year then maybe since we might buyout Ballard but right now Ellerby wouldn't really fit on our roster as he is too skilled to be a 7th D-man and I Ballard/Tanev are better as a pair.

Maybe change Shore to Petrovic, add a 3rd and I might do it, but I would rather a package like Kadri, a pending UFA and one other thing From Toronto personally.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Chevrier

I know that his has been absolutely bludgeoned to death but what would the Canucks like in return for Luongo, realistically? I'm sure each fan's wants would be slightly different, but ballpark it here?

Kadri seemingly one of the worst raps on HFBoards, which is a shame because he really has shown signs of progressing slowly but surely biding his time in the minors. He was never going to be an immediate band-aid to the Leafs given their plethora of woes over the past few seasons, but slowly watching Marlies games he has grown considerably on both sides of the puck. His consistency from game to game on both sides of the puck is not to be overlooked. He isn't going to be a 1st, 2nd or 3rd PK man on a 5-on-3, but he has grown considerably. As a closet Leaf fan, I'd be severely disappointed to see him traded, as I really do believe he will have a solid career in the NHL.

That's not to say I don't think he's not fair game, as he definitely is and should be for trade bait for Luongo, another heavily ostracized player on the boards, love or hate for both of 'em!

Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Why are we overrating Petrovic so much? It isn't as if he's a number 1 defensive prospect. He's likely a 2nd pairing defenseman at his peak.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I can understand that, as many wanted Upshall on the Canucks boards and I made the same argument, we have alot of 2nd/3rd liners (Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, even Kassian is perhaps there) And McArthur is kind of in that area too, I just think he is a bit better than all of those guys, he brings a solid all round game and I think could flourish and show his full potential on our squad. I do see your point though.

I doubt they trade Lupul.

Hmmm..

Shore + Ellerby + 2nd for Luongo..

Not terrible, I actually like Ellerby alot but Ellerby just isn't a need now IMO, if this is at the end of the year then maybe since we might buyout Ballard but right now Ellerby wouldn't really fit on our roster as he is too skilled to be a 7th D-man and I Ballard/Tanev are better as a pair.

Maybe change Shore to Petrovic, add a 3rd and I might do it, but I would rather a package like Kadri, a pending UFA and one other thing From Toronto personally.
Problem with adding petrovic is that he is the only D prospect in the system who will be nhl ready when guys like weaver, jovanovaki, and kuba, come off the books/retire. Unless the panthers want to completely rebuild their D core via FA and trades 2 years from now, they need to hold on to the one prospect they have.

Matheson probably won't be ready by then

Old
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Something like that, yes.

If Tallon is interested in a deal, I think the latter proposal is rather realistic for both sides.

Perhaps you want someone more NHL ready, I don't know. Goc is probably our most underrated forward and I wouldn't really like moving him either, but I'm not going to say he's untouchable either, to be fair. It's worth noting that if you prefer Goc for the NOW, he's injured -- a big reason why I'm not expecting the team to do all that great this year. Injuries to players like Goc/Bergenheim who play in all situations kinda sucks. That was our best line in the playoffs.

I liked that line for you guys as well. Bergenheim took his game to another level.

For the deal, I think Shore is perfectly fine for the win-now category because they can rotate him and Schroeder at 3C, sending the other one down. I like the idea of that actually, because then Schroeder isn't "blocked" by another 3C. But because we lose out on an NHL vet in Goc, how about upping the pick to a 2nd?

Shore + Theodore + Petrovic + 2nd?

Old
01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Problem with adding petrovic is that he is the only D prospect in the system who will be nhl ready when guys like weaver, jovanovaki, and kuba, come off the books/retire. Unless the panthers want to completely rebuild their D core via FA and trades 2 years from now, they need to hold on to the one prospect they have.

Matheson probably won't be ready by then
What about Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby and Campbell? None of those guys should be leaving/regressing over the next few years.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
brandon4679

id love to get Kadri don't know what we do with him now but he would be great in the future

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon4679 View Post
id love to get Kadri don't know what we do with him now but he would be great in the future
Kadri's capable of playing the RW isn't he? Could be a good fit with Kesler now, he could use a shifty, playmaking type.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What about Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby and Campbell? None of those guys should be leaving/regressing over the next few years.
Actually I would be surprised if Ellerby were still a Panther going into next season.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Kadri's capable of playing the RW isn't he? Could be a good fit with Kesler now, he could use a shifty, playmaking type.
Pretty sure he's a left winger. I wouldn't mind picking him up so much if we had a different coach. I just don't think he would fit into AV's system.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
thanks for the admittance, i imagine that would've been hard to keep to yourself.
Why should I keep it to myself. I felt like saying because all i'ver read from Canuck fans is " no thats not enough" or " haha no thanks" " there's nothing on the Leafs that I want" All I'm saying is you guys are going to be disappointed.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
brandon4679

Quote:
well if that's the case then im happy with bozak and kadri plus a pick mckenzie did say today he would expect bozak a young player and a pick i wonder if gillis is interested in biggs though

Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Pretty sure he's a left winger. I wouldn't mind picking him up so much if we had a different coach. I just don't think he would fit into AV's system.
Either way, if he can play wing he could be a fit with Kesler. As for playing under AV, if he were to play center I'd agree, but if he's playing wing, he'd have a lot less defensive responsibility.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Was just watching Sportsnet. Shannon and Kyper were joking but in a serious way that the deal is Bozak and Kadri.

And from the way they were talking it seemed all but certain Luongo was coming to the Leafs.
If that was true, you would have to figure Lou knows about it. And if he knows he's coming to TO you would have to think he would at least fake being excited about the possibility of becoming a Leaf. Based on his reaction, I think it's far from done (given he holds the trump card).

Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Okay disagree all you want but where in our lineup does he play?
Well he can play Center or Wing, and he has great offensive skill, and is more less a playmaker.

So perhaps he could fill the hole on the 2nd line.

Or even though he isn't a shutdown center by anymeans he is a better defensive player than people think, so perhaps he could slot into the 3rd line center role? After all we did play Coho there last season.

And if he doesn't earn either of those roles this season he is still only 22, he can just go down to the Wolves for a year then come up next year and play a good role for us.

Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 402
Quote:
He can play all 3 forward positions

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Holding onto an elite goalie is not a bad move.

Holding onto an elite goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit, when you just paid his heir apparent 4 million per, and your team is going to be pressed up against the cap next season while needing to find money to resign some key guys is a bad move.
It's a good or bad move depending on the other options available. We don't know what the offers for Luongo are like. If nobody is offering anything worthwhile, I'd rather keep him and deal with it next summer. Luongo is a good player who would help us this year.

Closed Thread