HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Either way, if he can play wing he could be a fit with Kesler. As for playing under AV, if he were to play center I'd agree, but if he's playing wing, he'd have a lot less defensive responsibility.
Two words: Michael Grabner.

With Daniel Sedin, David Booth, Mason Raymond and Chris Higgins all left wingers (not to mention the fact that Burrows is a left handed shot playing the right side) I don't think adding yet another left winger for this season is the greatest idea.

01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
What about Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby and Campbell? None of those guys should be leaving/regressing over the next few years.
Ellerby is pretty much stonewalled from getting meaningful minutes in the top 6 for the next 2 seasons barring injury. The lockout was the worst thing that could have happened to him. Gudbranson is pretty much ready to go and it seems out entire top 6 is healthy heading into the season. Therefore y2k is right. I expect him to be involved in a trade of some sort this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Actually I would be surprised if Ellerby were still a Panther going into next season.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Grabner was caught in a numbers game with the Canucks, it was more or less him or Raymond and the Canucks went with Raymond coming off the 53 point season. It's not as if AV didn't play him, he got almost 14 min/game as a rookie and put up more than .5 ppg as a rookie. Right now the Canucks are starving for a playmaking winger on the 2nd line, and Kadri has the talent/ability to potentially fill that role. As a bonus he could fill the 2nd line center spot on the PP if Kesler is to play with the Sedins.

Quote:
With Daniel Sedin, David Booth, Mason Raymond and Chris Higgins all left wingers (not to mention the fact that Burrows is a left handed shot playing the right side) I don't think adding yet another left winger for this season is the greatest idea.
With the exception of Daniel, all those players have and do play both wings effectively. And apparently so does Kadri. Don't see the issue here.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 01-06-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Why are we overrating Petrovic so much? It isn't as if he's a number 1 defensive prospect. He's likely a 2nd pairing defenseman at his peak.
He's a Right Handed Dman and is closer than Corrado, so he will be valuable for us in 2 years with Hamhuis, Edler and Garrison all still likely to be here and all being left handed defensemen.

He is huge, he skates very well, a hand nosed player with some offensive upside too, could be a useful top 4 D-man & I think he is one of there prospects who is more likely to reach his potential.

there isn't much not to like honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Problem with adding petrovic is that he is the only D prospect in the system who will be nhl ready when guys like weaver, jovanovaki, and kuba, come off the books/retire. Unless the panthers want to completely rebuild their D core via FA and trades 2 years from now, they need to hold on to the one prospect they have.

Matheson probably won't be ready by then
You do have Campbell signed for a decade, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Elllerby, and I don't know much about Robak or what his potential is but he is close to full time duty aswell no? You can always sign UFA's aswell.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

I agree with Peter too, Kadri can play all spots and has the skill to fit in that role, to me he is just waiting to breakout and I think we could give him the opportunity to do so and would be rewarded for it.

Grabner's trade really was a numbers game for him, not one in there right mind would have kept him over Raymond at the time, and we desperatley needed defense, it was the right move at the time.

Quote:
Grabner was caught in a numbers game with the Canucks, it was more or less him or Raymond and the Canucks went with Raymond coming off the 53 point season. It's not as if AV didn't play him, he got almost 14 min/game as a rookie and put up more than .5 ppg as a rookie. Right now the Canucks are starving for a playmaking winger on the 2nd line, and Kadri has the talent/ability to potentially fill that role. As a bonus he could fill the 2nd line center spot on the PP if Kesler is to play with the Sedins.

With the exception of Daniel, all those players have and do play both wings effectively. And apparently so does Kadri. Don't see the issue here.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
LeftCoast

I don't see an issue with Kadri on our 2nd line. When Kesler returns, Kadri could move to the wing and the line would still benefit from having a playmaker who looks to pass first. Going into the playoffs it would be great to have some scoring depth and insurance in case Henrik, Daniel or Kesler are injured again. Another offensively capable centre (Cody Hodgson .. cough, cough) might have made all the difference against LA in the playoffs last season.

Is Kadri enough return for Luongo? No, certainly not. But if the asking price includes a young roster player who can improve the team immediately, Kadri fits the bill. He's an obvious upgrade on Jordan Schroeder (and I'm not knocking Schroeder). The deal would also have to include a decent prospect (someone who hockeyfutures would rank as a 7C or better) or veteran roster player, and possibly a draft pick.

I'm also a big fan of Drew Shore and Alex Petrovic - but its not quite enough and is too much futures weighted. Neither player has made an NHL roster yet and neither is projected as a top line player at his position. Petrovic is likely a 2nd pairing defenseman and Shore, currently, is a tweener 2C/3C. Unfortunately, its a case of two dimes and a nickel not being the same as a quarter.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:44 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I don't see an issue with Kadri on our 2nd line. When Kesler returns, Kadri could move to the wing and the line would still benefit from having a playmaker who looks to pass first. Going into the playoffs it would be great to have some scoring depth and insurance in case Henrik, Daniel or Kesler are injured again. Another offensively capable centre (Cody Hodgson .. cough, cough) might have made all the difference against LA in the playoffs last season.

Is Kadri enough return for Luongo? No, certainly not. But if the asking price includes a young roster player who can improve the team immediately, Kadri fits the bill. He's an obvious upgrade on Jordan Schroeder (and I'm not knocking Schroeder). The deal would also have to include a decent prospect (someone who hockeyfutures would rank as a 7C or better) or veteran roster player, and possibly a draft pick.

I'm also a big fan of Drew Shore and Alex Petrovic - but its not quite enough and is too much futures weighted. Neither player has made an NHL roster yet and neither is projected as a top line player at his position. Petrovic is likely a 2nd pairing defenseman and Shore, currently, is a tweener 2C/3C. Unfortunately, its a case of two dimes and a nickel not being the same as a quarter.
Shore could play meaningful minutes this season and has the mature 2 way game needed to break in with Vancouver. Petrovic would be a decent injury call up on the right side amd should be ready for nhl minutes next year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
xtra

I don't know what his value is, i know what i want it to be but the fun part is going to be seeing the people who are wrong eat crow.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Tyler Bozak
Jesse Blacker
2nd Round Pick

Take it and go.

Or we can wait and sign Lu when you buy him out.

There is no urgency in Toronto to make the playoffs this year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
brandon4679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Tyler Bozak
Jesse Blacker
2nd Round Pick

Take it and go.

lol there are other teams interested so we won't be buying him out and burke pretty much needs to make the playoffs to keep his job

Old
01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Just what I think..

I don't think Burke gives up both of Bozak and Kadri. Note that I don't think of them as all-stars or elites, but simply because he'd just make Canucks clear winner in the trade by giving a reasonably good winger prospect in Kadri that could play Kesler's winger in future AND Burke would even give a depth center that I assume Canucks would need while Kesler nurses his injury.

I am going to guess it'd be only either of these two players, and a pick or something else.

Btw, how credible is Shannon in terms of predicting trades in advance?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Tyler Bozak
Jesse Blacker
2nd Round Pick

Take it and go.

Luongo would be waived first and if no one picked him up he would be bought out, but obviously would not make it past Columbus waiver turn. Thanks for the sarcasm though, it gave me a little giggle.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Just what I think..

I don't think Burke gives up both of Bozak and Kadri. Note that I don't think of them as all-stars or elites, but simply because he'd just make Canucks clear winner in the trade by giving a reasonably good winger prospect in Kadri that could play Kesler's winger in future AND Burke would even give a depth center that I assume Canucks would need while Kesler nurses his injury.

I am going to guess it'd be only either of these two players, and a pick or something else.

You really overate your own players.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Thanks for the in-depth contribution.

So.. naming Bozak "a depth center", and Kadri "a reasonably good prospect" is now called over-rated? Then why are the rumors only around these players?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Luongo would be waived first and if no one picked him up he would be bought out, but obviously would not make it past Columbus waiver turn. Thanks for the sarcasm though, it gave me a little giggle.
Columbus has no interest in a 34 year old goaltender that is going to win them meaningless games.

It's ironic you mentioned the BJ's. I actually know someone connected (by blood) to their management staff.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Welcome to HF.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Thanks for the in-depth contribution.

So.. naming Bozak "a depth center", and Kadri "a reasonably good prospect" is now called over-rated? Then why are the rumors only around these players?
So you think an all star goalie worth a depth center and a reasonably good prospect? Wait you said he was only worth one right?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Columbus has no interest in a 34 year old goaltender that is going to win them meaningless games.

It's ironic you mentioned the BJ's. I actually know someone connected (by blood) to their management staff.
Ok whatever. But you missed my point. Even if Columbus does not pick him up on waivers someone else would. Would not be bought out. And yes welcome to HFboards

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
So you think an all star goalie worth a depth center and a reasonably good prospect? Wait you said he was only worth one right?
Seriously? I'd expect better comprehension.

I mentioned one of those two and something(s) else (which may/may not be more significant than the player being traded).

Making it bold this time so that it's easy to comprehend.

Old
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
He last played in the All-Star game in 2008/09.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Seriously? I'd expect better comprehension.

I mentioned one of those two and something(s) else (which may/may not be more significant than the player being traded).

Making it bold this time so that it's easy to comprehend.
What else?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Ok whatever. But you missed my point. Even if Columbus does not pick him up on waivers someone else would. Would not be bought out. And yes welcome to HFboards
Who?

Florida and Toronto are the only options.

Thanks. Been here since 2002.

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

And going by that..

Leafs fans should've put up Tomas Kaberle as "All-star defenseman" in all trade proposals.

Old
Numbers

Quote:
He last played in the All-Star game in 2008/09.
When was he last nominated for vezina trophy?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Just what I think..

His credibility lies in the fact that he worked under Bettman for years, he has a ton of contacts throughout the league, I would trust his inside info over anyone at Sportsnet. He's not one to just throw out rumours. He's been on this trade since the summer, and earlier tonight he had a chance to back down from it, but he was adamant that Luongo will become a Maple Leaf. I'll be shocked if he's wrong and if he is his cred will definitely take a hit.

He didn't say names but Kypreos was the one who was sarcastically poking at him with the names of Bozak and Kadri and those two have been rumoured for a while now.

I don't get what Canuck fans are so upset about. Bozak provides depth at center while Kesler is out and you get a nice prospect that is nearly there. Granted you probably don't need another forward but he's an asset you could dangle for something else down the road.

Closed Thread