HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: The Neverending Story

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Bettman ended up coming out on top at the end of it all.

So, I'll take that as a good omen.
Hey that title is all yours! Should change your account name too and wear it with pride

Old
01-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Not sure why some mainstream media think Canucks need a depth defenceman so bad, they have Alberts as a number 7 and just signed Joslin to be just that. Canucks should just sign Vandemeer if they need any insurance, no need to waste value in a trade unless it is a clear upgrade to top 5.
Alberts and Joslin are terrible.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Alberts and Joslin are terrible.
We are talking about depth defencemen.....none are going to be that good, that is why they can only make it as depth.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
We are talking about depth defencemen.....none are going to be that good, that is why they can only make it as depth.
I don't see either of them as NHL calibre, even as a 7th D. We should've kept Sulzer.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't think Toronto is such bad trade partners, because they do have some forwards they could trade. The problem is that talking to most Toronto fans is like talking to Gary Bettman back in September.
But the problem is we need a 3C (defensively stellar, above all else), a 2C (until Kesler is back...and he's long term at best), and certified top six wingers (north of 50 points continuously). We have, well, too many guys that can play the 2nd and 3rd line, and guys like MacArthur, Kulemin and even Lupul or JVR...none are guys that I can say are going to be a big enough improvement to justify moving Luongo for.

Toronto would fill one of two holes that have plagued them for at least the last decade, and then Vancouver would get, assuming Lupul and Kulemin at the highest end, a 20-30 ish point improvement on our offense, which is likely offset by our answer to a long list of tweeners being bumped down (Booth, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Raymond, Kassian).

There's value to be had, but it's wasted on us, we have these roles filled by, at worst, slightly lesser players.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:53 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
But the problem is we need a 3C (defensively stellar, above all else), a 2C (until Kesler is back...and he's long term at best), and certified top six wingers (north of 50 points continuously). We have, well, too many guys that can play the 2nd and 3rd line, and guys like MacArthur, Kulemin and even Lupul or JVR...none are guys that I can say are going to be a big enough improvement to justify moving Luongo for.

Toronto would fill one of two holes that have plagued them for at least the last decade, and then Vancouver would get, assuming Lupul and Kulemin at the highest end, a 20-30 ish point improvement on our offense, which is likely offset by our answer to a long list of tweeners being bumped down (Booth, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Raymond, Kassian).

There's value to be had, but it's wasted on us, we have these roles filled by, at worst, slightly lesser players.
3C hole is overrated because there is no reason Vancouver cannot play Lapierre there he is versatile, gritty and pretty defensively sound too. On important defensive zone face offs we have Malhotra to take those. The 2C is the tricky part until Kesler gets back, but we are not going to trade for someone to replace because Kesler is coming back. We don't know what we have in Schroeder yet and for all we know that might be the short term solution. At worst we could try Higgins at center again, but yes hopefully Kesler returns soon.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
3C hole is overrated because there is no reason Vancouver cannot play Lapierre there he is versatile, gritty and pretty defensively sound too. On important defensive zone face offs we have Malhotra to take those. The 2C is the tricky part until Kesler gets back, but we are not going to trade for someone to replace because Kesler is coming back. We don't know what we have in Schroeder yet and for all we know that might be the short term solution. At worst we could try Higgins at center again, but yes hopefully Kesler returns soon.
3C is possibly the most important role up front.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Numbers

Quote:
3C is possibly the most important role up front.
I was saying the so called "hole" is overrated. Read rest of my quote for answer. And to answer your point 1C is obviously the most important role upfront don't kid yourself. You should know this already as a Toronto fan.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
I was saying the so called "hole" is overrated. Read rest of my quote for answer.
Lapierre is a 4th line player on a playoff team, which is what you guys are.

There is no reason that he should be slotted in the 3C slot for more than a couple games.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Lapierre is a 4th line player on a playoff team, which is what you guys are.

There is no reason that he should be slotted in the 3C slot for more than a couple games.
I disagree with that he has come a long way last couple of years. He could play 3C role. What statistics or ideas back up you point anyways? Or is it just opinion?

Old
01-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
I disagree with that he has come a long way last couple of years. He could play 3C role. What statistics or ideas back up you point anyways? Or is it just opinion?
Lapierre: 31 points in his last 160 NHL games.

That is NOT 3C material.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Numbers

Quote:

That is NOT 3C material.
I thought 3rd line center defensive responsibility was most important trait. But fair enough he has not put up huge points with limited playing time, though he did score more goals than Kulemin last year.

Old
Co Ho*

Quote:

That is NOT 3C material.
Who cares when he plays well defensively, is willing to drop the gloves and troll players, and scores clutch goals?

Old
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's not a dire concern, but with Kesler out longer then we'd like, we need someone that can step into that role, and cover the third line. Lapierre could do our third line, sure, but then who does our 2nd line? Schroeder? I like the kid, but he's not really progressing offensively as we'd like, and despite his energy, isn't big enough or strong enough defensively to contribute outside of that. Then shifting wingers over...Higgins or Hansen could be experimented with, but neither are good faceoff men, and that is a huge facet of Vignault's system.

We can survive, but I'd want to thrive.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:13 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
It's not a dire concern, but with Kesler out longer then we'd like, we need someone that can step into that role, and cover the third line. Lapierre could do our third line, sure, but then who does our 2nd line? Schroeder? I like the kid, but he's not really progressing offensively as we'd like, and despite his energy, isn't big enough or strong enough defensively to contribute outside of that. Then shifting wingers over...Higgins or Hansen could be experimented with, but neither are good faceoff men, and that is a huge facet of Vignault's system.

We can survive, but I'd want to thrive.
Schroeder has been producing pretty decent numbers in AHL at 22. Like I said don't we really know what we got in him yet till he plays with NHL players over a big enough sample. Nothing will replace Kesler for short term ideally. Need to have open mind on this and try some things out in short term.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
I thought 3rd line center defensive responsibility was most important trait. But fair enough he has not put up huge points with limited playing time, though he did score more goals than Kulemin last year.
Two things...

A) Your 3C could potentially turn into your 2C over the course of a game (injuries). Lapierre as your 2C would be tragic, as clutch as he is. The guy is gritty as **** and I have a lot of respect for his style of play.

B) Kulemin is a winger... and a lot better than Lapierre.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon4679 View Post
lol there are other teams interested so we won't be buying him out and burke pretty much needs to make the playoffs to keep his job
The first part=correct.
The second part=WRONG.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:50 AM
var

After Corrado's great camp, where do the pieces of Lu, Raymond, and Corrado add up to if you're after Huberdeau?

Old
01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by var View Post
After Corrado's great camp, where do the pieces of Lu, Raymond, and Corrado add up to if you're after Huberdeau?
The only piece we have that might possibly persuade Florida to give up Huberdeau is Kesler.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by var View Post
Oh Jesus. Just stop.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:30 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Straight up.

Luongo

For

Grabovski

Old
01-07-2013, 07:31 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Straight up.

Luongo

For

Grabovski
lol..

Old
01-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
lol..
Agreed.

I almost spit out my morning coffee all over my laptop.

Grabo is not going anywhere.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Scott Morrison was on the Fan 590 this morning at around 0735 hours.

He said that Mike Gillis is in a rush to move Roberto Luongo.

Morrison said that Gillis wants to get that 5M+ contract off the books and avoid the drama of having Schneider/Lu duo.

Oh, before you question Morrison's credibility... he's in the Hall of Fame.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Scott Morrison was on the Fan 590 this morning at around 0735 hours.

He said that Mike Gillis is in a rush to move Roberto Luongo.

Oh, before you question Morrison's credibility... he's in the Hall of Fame.
As he should be. Im not even sure the Canucks make the playoffs if Kesler is out for some long amount of time, knowing how slow our club always starts.

Closed Thread