HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Old
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

vCash: 500
As usual, Grapes was spot on in a non-politically correct way!

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:29 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

He sounds mad.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
MsWoof

He's a xenophobe. Having kids from other countries play in the CHL is no different than Canadian athletes going to the US on scholarships. The coach of the German team said he encourages kids to come to the CHL because it helps them more than leagues in Germany, and that can only help the game as a whole.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Let me ask you... since the CHL (WHL, OHL and QMJHL) is limiting the number of "imports", is it also xenophobia? Or are you just proud to be using a big word? For what it's worth, I think you're just missing Cherry's point and you're using the wave against him to spread your dislike of him, like many do here.... but I could be wrong, it's after all just my opinion.
Just fyi, I've been an editor for 20 years, so no, I'm not "proud to be using a big word."

I also never said I disliked Cherry. I dislike his stupidity on this issue, but I have relatives who have said similarly stupid things and I still like them. I'm also not missing his point, since it was delivered with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just fyi, I've been an editor for 20 years, so no, I'm not "proud to be using a big word."

I also never said I disliked Cherry. I dislike his stupidity on this issue, but I have relatives who have said similarly stupid things and I still like them. I'm also not missing his point, since it was delivered with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
So why haven't you answered the question?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:08 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He's a xenophobe. Having kids from other countries play in the CHL is no different than Canadian athletes going to the US on scholarships. The coach of the German team said he encourages kids to come to the CHL because it helps them more than leagues in Germany, and that can only help the game as a whole.
I am not sure on what Don Cherry's view is on the NCAA and CDN athletes. But I am sure there are people who do not like the idea of foreign athletes taking American spots in US Universities.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I am not sure on what Don Cherry's view is on the NCAA and CDN athletes. But I am sure there are people who do not like the idea of foreign athletes taking American spots in US Universities.
No way! That's blasphemy! It's impossible. Only Cherry is like that!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I admit to only tuning into Coach's Corner to see what crazy things he has to say, it is very entertaining and is great for ratings. How many times is there a huge thread on here after he says something looney?

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Yeah, they're marching in the streets over it.

A handful of good foreign athletes get U.S. scholarships. If you're good enough, you'll get one somewhere, regardless of where you're born. That's as it should be. And if a distance runner from Kenya makes your track team better or a hockey player from Finland gives your team a better shot at the Frozen Four, you're welcoming him or her with open arms. Universities like and encourage diversity.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
black charger

Isn't he also saying that the non Canadian teams in the tournament are better because their players participate in the CHL.There are 50 non Canadians from the CHL in this tournament(about 1.in 4).Looks to me like the Canadian hockey system is actually helping these teams.And most of these 50 are top line players.By the way most CHL teams are lucky if they break even.With an average of 3000 spectators,34 games and $25 ticket prices you only have 2.5 million income,it takes alot more than that to run a team.Teams are usually just a rich guys hobby or tax write-off. Just ask Don,he used to own an OHL team.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
black charger

Quote:

A handful of good foreign athletes get U.S. scholarships. If you're good enough, you'll get one somewhere, regardless of where you're born. That's as it should be. And if a distance runner from Kenya makes your track team better or a hockey player from Finland gives your team a better shot at the Frozen Four, you're welcoming him or her with open arms. Universities like and encourage diversity.
And how do you think the American kids and their parents feel when they are bumped by an import.Dissapointed,heartbroken,peed off,and because of political correctness forced to remain silent.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
OrangeBlue10

hate to say it, as much as you love the guy somethings he says are brutal

OrangeBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:38 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

I totally heard "America the Beautiful" playing when I read this.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:54 PM
DatsyukNumberOne*

Completely agree with Don, especially on his point about how many Canadians will make the NHL compared to the other teams. I would guarantee that even the Canadian teams that placed silver or bronze in the past still ended up having the best talent coming into the NHL. Canada could lose tomorrow and not win a medal, but they still have the best talent and will have the most NHL stars.

I especially laugh at people that claim the US will eventually be the best at hockey in the future, this is gibberish. The complete economic collapse that the US is going to face soon will not allow this to happen, parents will not be spending money on hockey.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
thom

We don't have to agree with everything he says but he's one son of a gun with the exception of Howie Meeker no one in the hockey world has experienced the up's and down's he has.He spent almost 20 yrs in minors he's won American Hockey Championship and coached 7 yrs in nhl and was coach of the year.He was ass coach of 76 canada team.And in his late 70's visited the troops a few times in Afganistan.People like Gretzy declined to go.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
I'm not going to get into the whole how many foreign players should be in the CHL debate.

I came here to say one thing: I know Don Cherry personally. He is absolutely NOT a racist man. Anyone who knows him on a real level knows that.

He is patriotic, sometimes misguided, and absolutely old school. I don't agree with everything he says but I am really glad he says what he feels. Its up to you to decide if you agree with him or not.

01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
DigitalSea
#50in15

DigitalSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

When did stupidity become synonymous with not being politically correct?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
And how do you think the American kids and their parents feel when they are bumped by an import.Dissapointed,heartbroken,peed off,and because of political correctness forced to remain silent.
If someone's good enough to win an athletic scholarship, he or she will win one. There are countless American colleges that offer them. Heck, New England Patriots running back Danny Woodhead went to Chadron State. Doesn't seem to have held him back, has it?

Old
01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
I admire your hopefulness, but you must be kidding.
Oh I realize every generation has racism/xenophobia/homophobia present in it, but other generations weren't taught it at school etc like this one.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

I know a couple of days after Nail Yakupov made that "Dirty Canadians" comment Cherry said the same thing about how he was a Russian player taking up a spot from a Canadian player. In that case I think Cherry had a point. If a European player is going to come and play Junior Hockey in Canada they shouldn't make a comment like Yakupov did, because in Sarnia I'm sure he was tought the North American way to play and it will be the same thing when he plays in Edmonton.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

{MOD EDIT}
I think Cherry has a point, but for a different reason. Having an eighth of the league being comprised of foreigners isn't detrimental to Canadians. I'd argue that it may be detrimental to said foreigners; at least with regard to their native country's junior programs or leagues. For instance, if future Yakupovs and Grigorenkos choose the CHL over the MHL, the latter will have an almost impossible time growing as a legitimate junior league. The situation is much worse in countries like Slovakia.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-05-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Edited
Domhnall Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Frank Garrett

He'll be put out to pasture after this contract with CBC is up.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:16 AM
WarriorofTime

At the end of the day if you're ticked off that you're the last guy cut from a Major Junior team ultimately you're just upset you weren't good enough.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I know a couple of days after Nail Yakupov made that "Dirty Canadians" comment Cherry said the same thing about how he was a Russian player taking up a spot from a Canadian player. In that case I think Cherry had a point. If a European player is going to come and play Junior Hockey in Canada they shouldn't make a comment like Yakupov did, because in Sarnia I'm sure he was tought the North American way to play and it will be the same thing when he plays in Edmonton.
He was talking about Team Canada not "Candians as a whole".

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote