HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLV: Heard It Through The Grapevine....

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
Don't think it's an either or. It's a these are the conditions....
Lost in translation. Thanks.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
Just curious do you think fans of other sports understand their sports cba better then we do? I feel like I can negotiate labor law after this and 04
You probably can better than these nitwits.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Renbarg

Its weird that the players want an opt out after year 7. After all, they just want to play. Why would they opt out so we, the Canadian fans (I guess American fans aren't as important), have to go through an OWNER'S lockout again!?

Old
T-Funk

The owners now line up a press conference to claim the NHLPA has agreed to a 10year CBA and they think they are close to a deal.

*10 minutes pass

Well this is very disappointing, the players have reneged on their offer for a 10 year CBA by leaving us a text message saying that was not what they agreed to.

Old
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I agree with the enforcers comment. Obviously I'm a hockey fan and player but enforces kind of tick me off. You're getting paid butt loads of money for fighting and running into people. I understand it takes a physical toll on your body, but you're playing 4th line anyways.

Most teams with big enforcers aren't even that successful. Ask the Rangers how they were with Avery and the Flyers with Carcilllo. Heck, even go back to Boogard (RIP) and Brashear.

You can serve yourself better having guys like Brian Rafalski or Brent Seabrook on your back line. Serve both purposes.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Does Kris Letang's signing with the KHL team indicate anything?

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Stuck in Socal

Also, if you need further reassurance that there will not be a deal by the deadline just look at how lightly the PA is taking the deadline next week. They think they can drag this out till February I'm guessing. Once Gary cans the season next week players will be saying, " We were so close to a deal and getting back on the ice, but Gary just had to can the season. We just wanted to play already. For the fans."

Old
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
No, more NHL players have left their overseas teams than went to other leagues in the past week.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
Also, if you need further reassurance that there will not be a deal by the deadline just look at how lightly the PA is taking the deadline next week. They think they can drag this out till February I'm guessing. Once Gary cans the season next week players will be saying, " We were so close to a deal and getting back on the ice, but Gary just had to can the season. We just wanted to play already. For the fans."
That sucks. Well cya next year then Stuck in Socal. Good luck with whatever you do till then.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I agree with the enforcers comment. Obviously I'm a hockey fan and player but enforces kind of tick me off. You're getting paid butt loads of money for fighting and running into people. I understand it takes a physical toll on your body, but you're playing 4th line anyways.

Most teams with big enforcers aren't even that successful. Ask the Rangers how they were with Avery and the Flyers with Carcilllo. Heck, even go back to Boogard (RIP) and Brashear.

You can serve yourself better having guys like Brian Rafalski or Brent Seabrook on your back line. Serve both purposes.
LOL Avery and Carcillo are not enforcers and didn't even play the game you described.

How about Colton Orr, Derek Boogard, Donald Brashear, Georges Laraque? Seeing a trend (minus Boogieman, RIP). There is a very limited amount of pure 'enforcers' in the NHL. Bissonette? Parros. Etc. Avery and Carcillo, however, are not enforcers.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
petrskudra1

Quote:
Not necessarily. His contract is contingent on the NHL season being cancelled.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Sure, that many girls fallowed him over there from the states.

Truthfully, he didn't want to wait anymore.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Glad you can read minds. You should join the circus!

On topic, they still have a week before they need to have anything done. That's a long time. There's no need for them to panic and accept whatever's on the table because they know the offer on the 9th or 10th will be better than what's on the table now.

Old
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
At this point, I wouldn't really believe much that comes out of the players mouths unless it's from people in the room simply because things are at such a delicate level that there is probably very little information being given out to the masses.

I know it's Eklund but he's been right most of this lockout and his comment was that there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Then Daren Millard tweets:

Daren Millard‏@darenmillard https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...15455658582016

Perhaps the biggest indicator that there won't be talks today @RealKyper and I r outside with @ian_mendes . No media allowed in. Cold here!

Really? The reason they're not letting you into the building is because they AREN'T meeting? There's stuff going on, we the public don't know about it and either the media doesn't know (not likely) or they aren't reporting it because it could derail things (likely)

Old
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Im a Leafs fan, and can say that Neil and Alffy are the two guys on your team who can change the tempo of a game with one play. I would love to have Neil on the Leafs...

Anyways.....back to the Fehrorrshow
Bit of a reach...

Old
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
LOL Avery and Carcillo are not enforcers and didn't even play the game you described.

How about Colton Orr, Derek Boogard, Donald Brashear, Georges Laraque? Seeing a trend (minus Boogieman, RIP). There is a very limited amount of pure 'enforcers' in the NHL. Bissonette? Parros. Etc. Avery and Carcillo, however, are not enforcers.
Is Carcillo worth anything other than being a tough guy? Please.

My point is these "tough guys" don't win jack. They should be happy they even get paid. Teams that overcheck and ones with tough guys are often beat out by others with pure talent.

You could argue that guys like Matt Hendricks are not enforcers, and I would agree with you. The guy has got sick hands and can put up big numbers if given the chance to.

Avery did so occasionally but not on a consistent level to be worthy of playing in the National Hockey League.

Past Stanley Cup winners:

Los Angeles
Boston
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit

In my opinion only two of those teams play rough hockey, Chicago and Boston. Both got their first Stanley Cup in how long? Please.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
It seems counter intuitive to propose that when the league seems to be desperately trying to get the cap closer to 60 million. lowering the cap and raising the minimum wage seems iffy.

How many players are making league minimum now?

I mean.. I know this would be in year 9 so perhaps not a hard pill to swallow for the league. But then again, once that is raised.. you'll probably never negotiate it back down.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:49 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
At this point, I wouldn't really believe much that comes out of the players mouths unless it's from people in the room simply because things are at such a delicate level that there is probably very little information being given out to the masses.

I know it's Eklund but he's been right most of this lockout and his comment was that there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Then Daren Millard tweets:

Daren Millard‏@darenmillard https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...15455658582016

Perhaps the biggest indicator that there won't be talks today @RealKyper and I r outside with @ian_mendes . No media allowed in. Cold here!

Really? The reason they're not letting you into the building is because they AREN'T meeting? There's stuff going on, we the public don't know about it and either the media doesn't know (not likely) or they aren't reporting it because it could derail things (likely)
I think he's getting at the fact that they have held small press conferences after their big meetings. I guess they're assuming that if something was going on, they would wrap it up for the media at the conclusion of the meetings. Whether that's a correct assumption or not remains to be seen.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
That means nothing. It is just smart negotiating (albeit in this case over stupid things)

If the PA was saying things like "OMG the season is almost gone " the NHL would be able to safely give a worse offer, without worry of it being turned down.

Old
IDuck

Quote:
Is Carcillo worth anything other than being a tough guy? Please.

My point is these "tough guys" don't win jack. They should be happy they even get paid. Teams that overcheck and ones with tough guys are often beat out by others with pure talent.

You could argue that guys like Matt Hendricks are not enforcers, and I would agree with you. The guy has got sick hands and can put up big numbers if given the chance to.

Avery did so occasionally but not on a consistent level to be worthy of playing in the National Hockey League.

Past Stanley Cup winners:

Los Angeles
Boston
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit

In my opinion only two of those teams play rough hockey, Chicago and Boston. Both got their first Stanley Cup in how long? Please.
ummm...what about that ducks team?

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The owners now line up a press conference to claim the NHLPA has agreed to a 10year CBA and they think they are close to a deal.

*10 minutes pass

Well this is very disappointing, the players have reneged on their offer for a 10 year CBA by leaving us a text message saying that was not what they agreed to.
You need to have your voice shake a little more and shed a few tears and then shout that you are taking everything off of the table now. Get Steve Fehr to come out in a funny sweater and announce that the 10 year CBA is a hill that they are prepared to die on.

Old
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I'm on the side of the owners here, clearly, although I dislike both sides. Ted Leonsis is a major ****** in my opinion and probably other owners as well, I won't come to any conclusion because I simply don't know.

But this does not look good for the NHL. Not sure if reported but:

Gary Bettman infuriated players across the table from him at NHL headquarters on Thursday — and, by extension, NHLPA membership — by claiming that a number of general managers had told him they regret some of the contracts they’d previously handed out and would welcome the opportunity to “dismantle” their teams in order to meet the steep drop to the league’s proposed $60 million cap for 2013-14, sources have told The Post.

The players responded with a mixture of anger and skepticism, demanding to know the identity of these alleged GM’s. Bettman refused to name the straw men in seeking to counter the players’ position that adopting a $60M cap — even with two amnesty buyouts — would be punitive against big-market, big-spending franchises.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Don't really want to repost this guy's stuff, but someone else had it on another board and it's a slow day:

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
Bettman sought to remove penalties in CBA for teams that caught hiding revenue. He wanted penalties to be decided solely by "commissioner".

Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
I'm on the side of the owners here, clearly, although I dislike both sides. Ted Leonsis is a major ****** in my opinion and probably other owners as well, I won't come to any conclusion because I simply don't know.

But this does not look good for the NHL. Not sure if reported but:

Gary Bettman infuriated players across the table from him at NHL headquarters on Thursday — and, by extension, NHLPA membership — by claiming that a number of general managers had told him they regret some of the contracts they’d previously handed out and would welcome the opportunity to “dismantle” their teams in order to meet the steep drop to the league’s proposed $60 million cap for 2013-14, sources have told The Post.

The players responded with a mixture of anger and skepticism, demanding to know the identity of these alleged GM’s. Bettman refused to name the straw men in seeking to counter the players’ position that adopting a $60M cap — even with two amnesty buyouts — would be punitive against big-market, big-spending franchises.
Let's not forget that the NY Post is one of the least credible major news sources in the nation.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You need to have your voice shake a little more and shed a few tears and then shout that you are taking everything off of the table now.
Well that would be Fehr's rant afterwards but then taking everything off the table for a while would line up quite perfectly with what has actually happened.

Closed Thread