HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013 is the year when IIHF starts a crackdown on (Canada's) "toughness" in juniors

Old
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
2013 is the year when IIHF starts a crackdown on (Canada's) "toughness" in juniors

I am not agreeing with some of the suspensions, but it is clear that IIHF is finally getting it that losing young players to injuries every year should not be tolerated. It is insane that over such a short tournament there are so many unneeded injuries. I hope every federation gets a message. I applaud IIHF, bravo!

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

To me, as long as they maintain a reasonable level of consistency, and don't fall into the trap of falling prey to too much fakery, then this is indeed a desirable outcome. And while the officiating has been questioned a lot in this tournament, I think they've overall managed to scrape through (so far!) at providing "a reasonable level of consistency". Still worth some criticism, far from perfect. But at least a step in what could be the right direction. Bottom line is that it is just "kids", and it is just "amateur" hockey, so I think it's right that they impose tougher standards than pro leagues, and it's also not fair for some hockey fans/markets to go in with the expectations of seeing the pro standards they're used to. It's a different game. And should be. It doesn't have to make it less entertaining to watch. But if it does for some, well, that shouldn't sway them from their purpose. Dave Branch takes an awful lot of heat for being progressive on discipline in the OHL too, for example. It's impossible not to find fault with some of his rulings, just like some of these IIHF ones. But there is an overall progression being made that is ultimately beneficial to the young players involved.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
The IIHF is a joke.

The dirtiest play in the entire tournament and nothing.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
The IIHF is a joke.

Wow! That was brutal!

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
I am not agreeing with some of the suspensions, but it is clear that IIHF is finally getting it that losing young players to injuries every year should not be tolerated. It is insane that over such a short tournament there are so many unneeded injuries. I hope every federation gets a message. I applaud IIHF, bravo!
Of course, you do.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
The IIHF is a joke.

When you see things like these unpunished, it really makes you wonder about the competence of IIHF.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
The IIHF is a joke.

It's a pretty close tie. I give a slight edge to the Russian on the dirty scale.

Leo Trollmarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
canuck2010

Ah well he didn't lose any chiclets.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:36 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
The IIHF is a joke.

Don't agree, the hit on Wotherspoon was worse. But in reality exhibit 1 and 1A I guess.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
I would take you more seriously if your topic title was a little less one sided. After all take a look at some of the non Canadian examples in this tourney.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Yeah because only Canada plays dirty right? The IIHF is a joke, the officiating has been subpar at best and their disciplinary system makes the NHL look consistent and fair.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I call it: "The Yakupov effect".

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Big Phil

The officiating for the most part was surprisingly good in this tournament, at least in Canadian games. I didn't like the 5 minute major call in the Slovak game, but that's about it.

Let's face it, the officiating has never been great for the most part. It has gotten better because if anyone remembers the 1990s and the 2000s it was more or less a penalty from a clean check if it made too much noise and the crowd reacted. More or less if you hit someone hard and he connected with the glass it was a penalty for being too "noisy". Amazingly Canada still racked up their gold medals under this system.

Officiating had nothing to do with Canada losing in 2013 though.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
Yeah because only Canada plays dirty right?
I see, you want me to sugarcoat it. How many players did Russia, Sweden or Finland injure in the last 10 years the same manner Jenner did this year. Was the game even worth it to injure a young kid like that with way late hit. Wasn't it since Clarke's slash an actual tactic to beat the opposition?

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
I see, you want me to sugarcoat it. How many players did Russia, Sweden or Finland injure in the last 10 years the same manner Jenner did this year. Was the game even worth it to injure a young kid like that with way late hit. Wasn't it since Clarke's slash an actual tactic to beat the opposition?
I've known you for like 6 years on this forum, and you have the biggest agenda against Canada for some reason. You've never tried to be neutral...

Russia had the two dirtiest plays in the tournament yet you have the nerves to call Canada dirty.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Well, looks to me like a Russian and Swiss just injured two people in the above videos and both in a quite brutal manner. Those were in the last few days, not over the last decade.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Those isolated incidents from 1972 are as poignant in 2013 as they were then... Great example.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Tree-hugger

Quote:
LOL.

I think it's been a trend for a while now - both sides of The Pond. Whether you like it or not is up to you. I like it.

You have to explain to me though - why Danault's (?) mindless whack was not reviewed (at the end of USA-CAN game) ? There's no way referees missed that.

If you want to go anywhere, you have strip all these excessive retaliations out of the game. Just IMHO, of course.

Call it like you see it or go home.

Tree-hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
scotian1

Granted Clarke`s slash was terrible but the Russians were far from clean in 72`as well. If you watched the series, there are countless examples of Russians kicking Canadian players in the back of the leg with their skates.

scotian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotian1 View Post
Granted Clarke`s slash was terrible but the Russians were far from clean in 72`as well. If you watched the series, there are countless examples of Russians kicking Canadian players in the back of the leg with their skates.
and those kicks were the reason Clarke decided to break his leg with two-handed slash right?

Getting back to WJHC I still wonder why IIHF didn't review that knee-on-knee hit made by some Canadian player. I think he made it just because every Canadian is very competitive, especially, in games like 1-5.

Just some statistics. IIHF suspended players for 14 games overall, 8 of those were issued to Canadian players. 57% percents. Yes, you play dirtier than all other nations combined.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
and those kicks were the reason Clarke decided to break his leg with two-handed slash right?

Getting back to WJHC I still wonder why IIHF didn't review that knee-on-knee hit made by some Canadian player. I think he made it just because every Canadian is very competitive, especially, in games like 1-5.

Just some statistics. IIHF suspended players for 14 games overall, 8 of those were issued to Canadian players. 57% percents. Yes, you play dirtier than all other nations combined.
...or you could argue another point, but I won't go there.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post

Included are 4 to Reinhart, a total joke, 1 to a Russian for the most dangerous hit of the tournament, and none to a Swiss for cross checking to the head off a faceoff and none to Gibson for a spear on Huberdeau.

Think you have a pretty one sided agenda or perhaps you're just a soccer fan.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
eyeball11

Quite frankly, I've always wondered why the inventors and biggest players of the game are constantly forced to play tournaments under other people's rules and with lower level officials.

I can't be the only one puzzled as to how some of these countries have any say in these tournaments: : Australia, Azerbaijan, China, Chinese Taipei, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Mexico, Mongolia, New Zealand, Qatar, Romania, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, etc.

It's great that they "have a national body dedicated to the sport" but seriously?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
joe89

Kids will be kids. The real embarrasment to me were the NHLers on twitter(no names mentioned) who had the "keep your head up" type of comments after some questionable hits. That's where the mentality, and "problem" starts, if you dismiss questionable hits by stating keep your head up every time. Especially those who kids listen to. An illegal hit is an illegal hit.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
The real embarrassment is the national pride some of you have.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote