HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Umberger will haunt us! Sather taught him a lession...

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2005, 09:58 AM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
Umberger will haunt us! Sather taught him a lession...

We don't need your size or skills go sign with Phill, that will show them!!

R.J. Umberger is playing well in the AHL. He is getting back in hockey shape and when the NHL resumes has a good shot to be a very good #2 center with size.

I still can't beleive that Sather didn't sign him. I guess Sather taugh him a lesson, the Rangers didn't need a center with size that is turning into a very good 2 way center!

Think about it Umberger would be playing with Baje and Lundmark and they would have a line that would be primed & ready when hockey begins!

Stats for Umberger:
GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG SHOTS PCT
53 14 20 34 +4 21 1 0 1 131 .107

Old
02-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
He has yet to step on the ice with the Flyers or any other NHL team. I think it would be prudent to wait until that happens to call him Sather's next blunder. Who's to say he won't flop on NHL ice? What would you have to say about Sather then? Wait and see, patience is a virtue.

Old
02-21-2005, 10:47 AM
patnyrnyg

I do not think Sather ever had any intention of signing Umberger. I think he was taken just to get the compensatory pick.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Even if he ends up being a good NHL player, if he also ends up being a head-case, such as was rumoured, then Sather might have made the right choice.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
NYR469

what makes you think that he would have signed here?? its always sathers fault but no one ever considers the fact that maybe the guy didn't want to play for us...

and the players in hartford HATED umberger, that is enough for me to say that we made the right decision regardless of his talent. part of the rebuild is getting the right character guys in here that are going to work hard and wear the jersey with pride. umberger is everything we DON'T want in a ranger, everything they are looking for is the complete opposite of umberger.

and it isn't like he is a franchise player, i'm not going to lose sleep over a guy who best case scenario is a 2nd liner when we have several guys that could do that...immonen is tearing up the finnish league which is a better league than the AHL. so immonen will fill the void by umberger just fine

Old
02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
NYRangers

They didn't like the attitude. Haven't you noticed how there bulding this new team? Work ethic and attitude. Korpikoski, Jessiman, Montoya, etc. Thats going to be a huge part in how they draft from now on.

If they felt he wasn't going to work in the system then so be it.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:58 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Even if he ends up being a good NHL player, if he also ends up being a head-case, such as was rumoured, then Sather might have made the right choice.
Not one bad thing has been said about his time in Phila yet. Just goes about his business

Old
02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Fletch

It really depends...

on what the guy Sather picked with that #2 pick ends up being. Rebuilding doesn't have to begin with 22 year olds; it could have a mix of 18-19 year olds too. Umberger between Lundmark and Balej could potentially be on of the worst top 2 lines in the NHL also, so I don't get too excited. This non-signing cannot be judged for 3-5 years, unfortunately.

Old
02-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Ola

Malhotra will haunt us, Umberg will haunt us, York haunts us, Brendl will haaaau, nah maybe not!

Honestly when it comes to Malhotra there isnīt many player in HFD I wouldnīt trade straigth up for him...

Old
02-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Levitate

fletch, i think the umberger pick was the one they traded to move up and draft korpikoski

Old
02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Fletch

I think so too..

with so many #2 picks, it was hard to keep track.

Old
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Blueshirts4me

I interviewed Umberger in November and he said the Rangers did make an offer. It was not the max he was looking for though.

Old
02-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Mmmmmm.....burrrrrrger

Umberger=small potatoes

Old
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
on what the guy Sather picked with that #2 pick ends up being. Rebuilding doesn't have to begin with 22 year olds; it could have a mix of 18-19 year olds too. Umberger between Lundmark and Balej could potentially be on of the worst top 2 lines in the NHL also, so I don't get too excited. This non-signing cannot be judged for 3-5 years, unfortunately.
Sather could have signed Umberger and still got a #2 pick. Sather low balled him and Umberger got a great offer from Philly!

Fetch.... "Rebuilding doesn't have to begin with 22 year olds" but its a good place to start. How many 18 & 19 year olds make the NHL...very few!

"Umberger between Lundmark and Balej could potentially be on of the worst top 2 lines in the NHL also, so I don't get too excited." We will never know.

Please tell me who in our system "can't miss" NHL impact player? All are unproven. We all thought that Pusha was and he is a flop this season in Europe!

Old
02-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Bacchus

I'm glad we got rid of him. Showed absolutely no character.

Yes, maybe he will crack the Flyers line-up. Maybe he will get them some points. But Umberger won't ever be the player I'd want to play in the final minutes of an important game. I'd want a character guy out there.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Fletch

jds...

Lundmark's 24 years old and is struggling in the AHL. Balej's is or will be 23 and is struggling in the AHL. Umberger's stats aren't exactly mind-boggling to suggest that he's a sure-fire NHLer. The three, today, don't excite me. Compared to other Rangers prospects, I'm still not excited, and that's not because I think there are other good prospects rather than I'm not too excited about several.

Point in regards to other 18 or 19 year olds is that too many people are too impatient. Umberger's better to many than a kid coming out of the 2005 draft because Umberger's closer. Closer to the NHL, to me, doesn't necessarily represent being a better prospect. In the end, Bruce Graham may be better than Umberger and he's a ways away.

Sather low-balled because he didn't want the guy; he preferred the #2 pick. He couldn't get both, unless he wanted to offer Umberger an amount that in the end, would be pretty ridiculous.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:22 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Malhotra will haunt us, Umberg will haunt us, York haunts us, Brendl will haaaau, nah maybe not!

Honestly when it comes to Malhotra there isnīt many player in HFD I wouldnīt trade straigth up for him...
What are you talking about? They gave up the 2000 first to get Brendl. So think of who they could have had in 2000 instead. Furthermore, think of who they could have drafted with the 4th in 1999 instead of Brendl. Brendl will most certainly be haunting us for a VERY long time.

Old
02-22-2005, 08:29 AM
cbjacketsfan

[QUOTE=Franz]I'm glad we got rid of him. Showed absolutely no character.

Showed no character? He didnt play a single game...did you go to practice and if not how do you know he showed no character, You are going on hear say. In philadelphia there has been no mention of RJ not having character or being a negative energy on the team. Do not judge a persons character if you do not know them

Old
02-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Do not judge a persons character if you do not know them
For the love of Pete! Another raid by the moral police!

Should we play "The Lonely Man Theme" from the Incredible Hulk TV Show when reading your post? Do Do Do Doooooo, Do Do Do Dooooo....

Old
02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
[QUOTE=PensFan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz

Showed no character? He didnt play a single game...did you go to practice and if not how do you know he showed no character, You are going on hear say. In philadelphia there has been no mention of RJ not having character or being a negative energy on the team. Do not judge a persons character if you do not know them
You don't need to go to practice to realize that Umberger has a questionable character and heart. Two organizations have passed on him. There has to be some reason for that.

Old
02-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

[QUOTE=PensFan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz

Actually someone did go to the practices and came here and gave us a report. I don't really remember what was said though...anyone?

Old
02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Actually someone did go to the practices and came here and gave us a report. I don't really remember what was said though...anyone?
As I recall, Maloney and Fotiu said the same thing and that was Umberger could be as good as he wants to be but they were not sure he wants to be.

Old
02-22-2005, 11:04 AM
cbjacketsfan

Well all I am saying is that from a standpoint of someone who actually knows the kid that those rumors are wrong. People were looking for answers as to why he wasnt getting signed and one person throws that out there as an idea and then a few people believe it seems to make sense and before you know it, it becomes a hard fact.

There may be other reasons that he wasnt the best option for your team and it wasnt a mistake for them to not sign him. People on here say they are glad they didnt sign him because he is a "head case" or has no character are wrong. Call me the moral police but when you make ignorant comments as if you know what you are talking about. If you want to believe that to feel better about the rangers decision then go ahead. He has proven that wrong on the phantoms but some people will always want to believe what they heard.

Old
02-22-2005, 11:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Well all I am saying is that from a standpoint of someone who actually knows the kid that those rumors are wrong. People were looking for answers as to why he wasnt getting signed and one person throws that out there as an idea and then a few people believe it seems to make sense and before you know it, it becomes a hard fact.

There may be other reasons that he wasnt the best option for your team and it wasnt a mistake for them to not sign him. People on here say they are glad they didnt sign him because he is a "head case" or has no character are wrong. Call me the moral police but when you make ignorant comments as if you know what you are talking about. If you want to believe that to feel better about the rangers decision then go ahead. He has proven that wrong on the phantoms but some people will always want to believe what they heard.
Proving it on the Phantoms and a Metro Card will get you on the subway. He's yet to prove it in the NHL.

Old
02-22-2005, 11:11 AM
cbjacketsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Proving it on the Phantoms and a Metro Card will get you on the subway. He's yet to prove it in the NHL.

Prove that he is a great player not prove he has character and work ethic

Closed Thread