HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa sends two dmen to Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Sotnos

vCash: 500
Tampa sends two dmen to Hamilton

In case you hadn't heard: d-men Andreas Holmqvist and Jeremy VanHoof were cut from Tampa and assigned to Hamilton last night.

Link

Two down, I'll let you know when I find out who the other two are if there's interest.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Mike8

Interesting, thanks for the update!

With the excess of defensemen in Montreal, it looks like this could be the top 6 in Hamilton this year:

Beauchemin
Holmqvist
Van Hoof
Bouillon
Archer

one of the following: Traverse, Hainsey, Dykhuis

Old
09-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Maithz

vCash:
That smell the Calder Cup

I hope they will have a good season .

Old
09-20-2003, 03:13 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I"m a littel confused here, so if someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
Why are there Tampa Bay d-men playing on the Bulldogs?
Did montreal and Tampa sign a contract allowing a certain amount of tampa prospects to play for hamilton, or what?

Old
09-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I"m a littel confused here, so if someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
Why are there Tampa Bay d-men playing on the Bulldogs?
Did montreal and Tampa sign a contract allowing a certain amount of tampa prospects to play for hamilton, or what?
Yeah, TB is loaning 4 players to Hamilton.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Interesting, thanks for the update!

With the excess of defensemen in Montreal, it looks like this could be the top 6 in Hamilton this year:

Beauchemin
Holmqvist
Van Hoof
Bouillon
Archer

one of the following: Traverse, Hainsey, Dykhuis
Shasby and Plante will also be in the lineup. I would be surprised if both Tampa players are used every game depending on how well they do. I'm not that familiar with teams loaning players, but Descoteaux sat out every 3rd or 4th game and when playing was used at a 6th defensemen. He played ok there, but was apart of the numbers game.

I would guess

Beauchemin Archer
Bouillon Holmqvist
Shasby Plante/Van Hoof

Old
09-20-2003, 03:22 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Shasby and Plante will also be in the lineup. I would be surprised if both Tampa players are used every game depending on how well they do. I'm not that familiar with teams loaning players, but Descoteaux sat out every 3rd or 4th game and when playing was used at a 6th defensemen. He played ok there, but was apart of the numbers game.

I would guess

Beauchemin Archer
Bouillon Holmqvist
Shasby Plante/Van Hoof
I don't think Montreal will offer Plante a contract, even just for AHL. He will be release IMO.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
I don't think Montreal will offer Plante a contract, even just for AHL. He will be release IMO.

It doesn't matter, he's been signed by Hamilton along with Carpentier. So they will both be on the team, no matter what the Habs do.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Harry Kakalovich

i'm not so sure beauchemin will be sent to hamilton.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:

I would guess

Beauchemin Archer
Bouillon Holmqvist
Shasby Plante/Van Hoof
Don't forget MacLellan that still has a decent shot to earn a job in Hamilton.

I'm quite surprised Tampa sent us Holmqvist. Isn't he their best Dman prospect, maybe even their best overall prospect? If so, I'm not going to complain, but Archer could then be bumped off the 1st pairing for him who also plays right handed.

Here's the report from HF on Holmqvist:

"Holmqvist has NHL size (6'4, 190) to back up his physical game. He still needs to fill out his large frame and be more consistent, but it's only a matter of time and maturity. He's a fine skater who makes a nice first pass and has a good, hard, and accurate right-handed shot. He gets involved in all aspects of the game and is adept at special teams play - especially the power play.

Compared to fellow countryman and Vancouver defenseman Mattias Ohlund, Holmqvist projects as a 2/3 defenseman. In the future, he will be capable of logging significant minutes and will be counted on for what his team’s have always counted on him for – contributions in every aspect of the game."

Old
09-20-2003, 07:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Don't forget MacLellan that still has a decent shot to earn a job in Hamilton.

I'm quite surprised Tampa sent us Holmqvist. Isn't he their best Dman prospect, maybe even their best overall prospect? If so, I'm not going to complain, but Archer could then be bumped off the 1st pairing for him who also plays right handed.

Here's the report from HF on Holmqvist:

"Holmqvist has NHL size (6'4, 190) to back up his physical game. He still needs to fill out his large frame and be more consistent, but it's only a matter of time and maturity. He's a fine skater who makes a nice first pass and has a good, hard, and accurate right-handed shot. He gets involved in all aspects of the game and is adept at special teams play - especially the power play.

Compared to fellow countryman and Vancouver defenseman Mattias Ohlund, Holmqvist projects as a 2/3 defenseman. In the future, he will be capable of logging significant minutes and will be counted on for what his team’s have always counted on him for – contributions in every aspect of the game."
I do hope they sign MacLellan, but if signed, they can still consider sending him back to PEI, where he will be the #1 defensemen getting a ton of ice time under Vigneault. (their defense is shaky, and could really use Big Mac! Hamilton will already have Archer and Shasby as rookies so 3 rookies on defense is a lot, but I wouldn't mind as long as they sign him.

I'm not all that fimiliar with Holmqvist, but I would hope that Archer gets a lot of ice time. Last year, Komo played with Beauchemin at times, and Bouillon as well, sometimes on the 3rd pairing, and others on the top pairing, so it's tough to say who and where each guy will play.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Holmqvist wasn't very good in camp, OK but not really trying to get on the team. Seems he was a bit overwhelmed with the move and being separated from his family, etc. We thought at most he might be the 7th man here to start the season, but some AHL time should be good for him. The tools are there, he just needs to get comfortable.

One thing he definitely needs to do is bulk up, he's a stringbean!

Old
09-21-2003, 01:52 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Holmqvist wasn't very good in camp, OK but not really trying to get on the team. Seems he was a bit overwhelmed with the move and being separated from his family, etc. We thought at most he might be the 7th man here to start the season, but some AHL time should be good for him. The tools are there, he just needs to get comfortable.

One thing he definitely needs to do is bulk up, he's a stringbean!

What side does both defensemen play on, cause Hamilton is in need of RD's.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Thamks very much, Sotnos.

We canadiens fans appreciate the update.

btw, what can you tell us about Van Hoof?

Old
09-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Shazbot

Quote:
I would be surprised if both Tampa players are used every game depending on how well they do.
Holmqvist is one of Tampa's top prospects. He is probably first pairing material and he's a righty shot. I can't see Jarvis not playing such a talent just because he's Tampa's property. The name of the game is winning. I'm sure Tampa didn't agree to send their prospects over so they would be mishandled and not get the chance to develop under optimal and hopefully winning conditions.

edit: Sorry, I didn't see the "both" in your message at first. I don't know anything about Van Hoof. Could be he's not so hot, so okay, er, uh, nevermind maybe.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
wow, this is unexpected but good news. Having a good d-man like Holmqvist on the Dogs improves their team and that can't hurt the rest of our kids down there at all.

Their D is looking better than it did a few months ago that's for sure.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
Holmqvist is one of Tampa's top prospects. He is probably first pairing material and he's a righty shot. I can't see Jarvis not playing such a talent just because he's Tampa's property. The name of the game is winning. I'm sure Tampa didn't agree to send their prospects over so they would be mishandled and not get the chance to develop under optimal and hopefully winning conditions.

edit: Sorry, I didn't see the "both" in your message at first. I don't know anything about Van Hoof. Could be he's not so hot, so okay, er, uh, nevermind maybe.

Sure Jarvis will do whatever it takes to win no doubt. Holmqvist will be a good addition to the defense which is the weak spot on Hamilton.

Do you know if Tampa will send 2 more players?

Old
09-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Do you know if Tampa will send 2 more players?
Yes, not really sure when though. I believe they had said there would be a few more cuts after tonight's game, so I might know in a few hours. We also have 6 spots in Hershey but haven't sent anyone there yet.

Van Hoof is a big (6'2", 200+) stay-at-home guy, played the whole season with our ECHL affiliate in Pensacola last year and did well. Not much of an offensive game to speak of, but this is a good promotion for him. Very solid defensively, nothing flashy. Not sure where he'd fit in, but he's definitely not a top prospect like Holmqvist.

His #s from last year.
2002-03 Pensacola, ECHL: 66 GP, 4-5-9, 51 PIM.
2003 Playoffs: 4 GP, 0-1-1, 4 PIM.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Yes, not really sure when though. I believe they had said there would be a few more cuts after tonight's game, so I might know in a few hours. We also have 6 spots in Hershey but haven't sent anyone there yet.

Van Hoof is a big (6'2", 200+) stay-at-home guy, played the whole season with our ECHL affiliate in Pensacola last year and did well. Not much of an offensive game to speak of, but this is a good promotion for him. Very solid defensively, nothing flashy. Not sure where he'd fit in, but he's definitely not a top prospect like Holmqvist.

His #s from last year.
2002-03 Pensacola, ECHL: 66 GP, 4-5-9, 51 PIM.
2003 Playoffs: 4 GP, 0-1-1, 4 PIM.

thanks.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
What I posted a month an a half ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.
I don't see why we should be angry about giving 4 spots to the Bolts. I think playing with highly skilled player can't be bad for our prospects. For example, I think it was great for Beauchemin to have someone like Bobby Allen to play with instead of let's say, Matthieu Descotteaux. The Edm/Hamilton merge brought the emergence of Ryder, Beauchemin, Ward etcs. Probably, one of the best year in the Habs prospects history. Sure, it also gave less time to Plekanec and Balej but we are only talking about 4 spots here not half of the team. We currently lack of RD, a guy like Homlqvist would be a good fit.
And we get Holmqvist.

Homlqvist is a RD and Van Hoof a LD, I think both spots are guarentee on the Hamilton roster since 4 spots were given to Bolts players though Van Hoof will probably play as the team's 7th defenseman.

We now have:

Archer- RD
Homlqvist - RD
Shasby - LD
Van Hoof - LD
Plante - LD
Beauchemin - LD
Bouillon - LD
One of Traverse, Dykhuis or Hainsey - LD

I would like to see Macllelan signed and back to PEI.

Someone will have to go to the ECHL. No, not Traverse.

Beauchemin, Bouillon, Homlqvist, Van Hoof and one of Traverse/Hainsey/Dykhuis are locks. I hope the waiver draft can help us get rid of one of Dykhuis or Traverse though.

Two spots are left for two of Archer, Shasby, Plante. Phil Plante is an insurance policy and was signed by Hamilton but it doesn't mean he has a guarenteed spot. Jarvis will make sure the best players are on the ice. If Archer is not good enough, even if he is a RD, he will be sent down to the ECHL and I can't see Shasby not playing in the AHL, I think the Habs offered him a contract because they saw something in Matt and I think he will make the starting roster. It will be a fight between Archer and Plante IMO and PLante has the edge because he already played in the AHL but it will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:

And we get Holmqvist.

Homlqvist is a RD and Van Hoof a LD, I think both spots are guarentee on the Hamilton roster since 4 spots were given to Bolts players though Van Hoof will probably play as the team's 7th defenseman.

We now have:

Archer- RD
Homlqvist - RD
Shasby - LD
Van Hoof - LD
Plante - LD
Beauchemin - LD
Bouillon - LD

Beauchemin, Bouillon, Homlqvist, Van Hoof and one of Traverse/Hainsey/Dykhuis are locks. I hope the waiver draft can help us get rid of one of Dykhuis or Traverse though.

Two spots are left for two of Archer, Shasby, Plante. Phil Plante is an insurance policy and was signed by Hamilton but it doesn't mean he has a guarenteed spot. Jarvis will make sure the best players are on the ice. If Archer is not good enough, even if he is a RD, he will be sent down to the ECHL and I can't see Shasby not playing in the AHL, I think the Habs offered him a contract because they saw something in Matt and I think he will make the starting roster. It will be a fight between Archer and Plante IMO and PLante has the edge because he already played in the AHL but it will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Right now the habs also have too many D. They will send down a few. Why do you assume that Beauchemin and Bouillon won't make the habs? Also why do you say we will only send down one of Traverse Hainsey and Dykuis? You are expecting the team to carry 2 extra D and 1 extra forward? I also think that he habs are in a tough situation with Komi. He is a RD and we already have 3 Vets. We've tried moving Q over before. I don't know if we want a RD on the left side.

I'll probably get blasted but I dont think it would be the worst thing in the world if Komi starts the year in Hamilton until we resolve our RD situation. He has had a taste and has some things to work on.

I could also see Beachemin beating out Traverse and Dykuis for the 6th or 7th D spot.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

And we get Holmqvist.

We now have:

Archer- RD
Homlqvist - RD
Shasby - LD
Van Hoof - LD
Plante - LD
Beauchemin - LD
Bouillon - LD

Archer wont see the ECHL nor will Shasby. Archer should get a good amount of ice time, and he will be in the starting lineup unless something goes very wrong at camp. Jarvis will put the best players on the ice to win it's his job, and Savard is watching over the Dogs, it's his job, and I'd safely say he wont send his pick to the ECHL he is too talented IMO.

Camp for the Dogs just opened now, but here's how I see it

Beauchemin-Top blueliner maybe get wears the A or C
Homlqvist- Top pairing with Beauchemin (I assume he's very good)
Hainsey- 2nd pairing unless he's a Hab
Archer- 2nd pairing
Shasby- 3rd pairing LD
Plante- 3rd pairing
Van Hoof- 3rd to 4th pairing LD

Plus there's Villeneuve, MacLellan who could get signed. Both could be sent back to juniors or Hamiton or ECHL.

One of Hainsey, Beauchemin, Bouillon makes the Habs. 2 making the Habs would be a surprise, IMO.

Beauchemin Homlqvist
Hainsey Archer
Shasby Plante
Van Hoof

Old
09-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Archer wont see the ECHL nor will Shasby. Archer should get a good amount of ice time, and he will be in the starting lineup unless something goes very wrong at camp. Jarvis will put the best players on the ice to win it's his job, and Savard is watching over the Dogs, it's his job, and I'd safely say he wont send his pick to the ECHL he is too talented IMO.

Archer- 2nd pairing
Shasby- 3rd pairing LD
Plante- 3rd pairing

Plus there's Villeneuve, MacLellan who could get signed. Both could be sent back to juniors or Hamiton or ECHL.

One of Hainsey, Beauchemin, Bouillon makes the Habs. 2 making the Habs would be a surprise, IMO.

Beauchemin Homlqvist
Hainsey Archer
Shasby Plante
Van Hoof
I think Bouillon can be taken in the waiver draft, and just might.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:

Archer- 2nd pairing
Shasby- 3rd pairing LD
Plante- 3rd pairing

Beauchemin Homlqvist
Hainsey Archer
Shasby Plante
Van Hoof
Basically, you are expecting that none of Bouillon, Traverse or Dykhuis will play in the AHL? I don't see the Habs carrying 9 defensemans: Komisarek, Markov, Souray, Dykhuis, Traverse, one of Bouillon/Hainsey/Beauchy, Brisebois, Rivet, Quintal. I know there is a possibility one of Bouillon/Traverse/Dykhuis get picked up at the waiver draft, something I hope will happen, but do you seriously think the Habs will carry 9 defensemans?

Old
09-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I know there is a possibility one of Bouillon/Traverse/Dykhuis get picked up at the waiver draft, something I hope will happen
I don't think the Habs are going to expose Bouillon. I wouldn't follow their logic. They could just not have resigned him this summer if they didn't want him in the organization anymore. And Bouillon is far superior in the role of 7th Dman than either Dykhuis or Traverse (well for us at least). My guess would be that Dackell, Traverse and Dykhuis will all be exposed, but not Bouillon (unless they send him back to Hamilton of course).

Closed Thread