HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Prospects' 9 games in lockout season

Old
01-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Prospects' 9 games in lockout season

Do any of you think there will be any of that if there's a shortened season this year? Or will coaches and teams be ready to grind through for a playoff spot right from the first puck drop?

Seeing newly drafted players in the NHL is always one of my favourite parts of the season, even if it doesn't last too long.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Depends on the prospect.

For a team like the Bruins, Hamilton already has a spot. But we're not into those 9 game trials, it's more like you play when you're ready.

If a team has legitimate playoff hopes, I doubt they'll try 9 games of a rookie that they wouldn't start full time at the beginning of a full season.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Esq.

vCash: 500
I wonder if the 9-game tryout will be changed at all under the new CBA. Haven't head anything specific, but it's possible. I do find it odd sometimes when a player can either play in the NHL or be returned to junior because he isn't AHL-eligible. I think this was the case with Niederreiter. I'm sure there are plenty of players who'd rather play AHL than continue to dominate at the junior level if they don't make the NHL right away. Obviously there are issues with older players not wanting to lose their AHL spot to a youngster, but it will be interesting to see if the system changes at all.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Depends on the prospect.

For a team like the Bruins, Hamilton already has a spot. But we're not into those 9 game trials, it's more like you play when you're ready.

If a team has legitimate playoff hopes, I doubt they'll try 9 games of a rookie that they wouldn't start full time at the beginning of a full season.
In a ~40 game season, I honestly think every team beleives they have a legitimate chance at contending for a playoff spot. In reality, a spot is literally just one hot streak away.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
As 96 said, depends on the CBA,

I would think Rielly might get 9 games in.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I wonder if the 9-game tryout will be changed at all under the new CBA. Haven't head anything specific, but it's possible. I do find it odd sometimes when a player can either play in the NHL or be returned to junior because he isn't AHL-eligible. I think this was the case with Niederreiter. I'm sure there are plenty of players who'd rather play AHL than continue to dominate at the junior level if they don't make the NHL right away. Obviously there are issues with older players not wanting to lose their AHL spot to a youngster, but it will be interesting to see if the system changes at all.
Such an awful and stupid rule imo. The NHL team should absolute authority over where they want their prospect (a huge investment) to play, whether it be oversees, CHL, USHL, AHL, ECHL..etc.

Nino is certainly the perfect example. Too good for the CHL, not quite at the level of the NHL.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:16 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Such an awful and stupid rule imo. The NHL team should absolute authority over where they want their prospect (a huge investment) to play, whether it be oversees, CHL, USHL, AHL, ECHL..etc.

Nino is certainly the perfect example. Too good for the CHL, not quite at the level of the NHL.
Nino was an example of just how cynical the Islanders can be to get to the salary floor

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote