HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Old
03-13-2014, 09:43 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
Its the same thing as seth jones and mackinnon last year, not sure how people dont get it. Maybe it is a bit more obvious if you played hockey before.
such a fail post

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
If we're going to be this silly and arbitrary about 2 months, why don't we go back and see when both players STARTED playing hockey. Maybe that would provide us some insight into who has had more "developmental time".... sheesh. It's absurd. Both of these guys have been playing up in terms of talent their whole lives.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:19 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Yeah, if that is how school worked. Plus, how awesome is your development if you are the youngest (and presumably smallest) kid in your grade. Welcome to getting beat up. This analogy does not work.
Why not? If you have two kids, one who graduates well after they've turned 18, and another who graduates months prior to their 18th birthday, and they both have the same marks, would you not consider it more impressive that the younger one is performing at the specified level?

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Why not? If you have two kids, one who graduates well after they've turned 18, and another who graduates months prior to their 18th birthday, and they both have the same marks, would you not consider it more impressive that the younger one is performing at the specified level?
I graduated high school with a classmate who was 11 months older than me. Somehow, I doubt our age was taken into consideration by college admission boards.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:33 PM
herbst20

Looking forward to getting a live viewing of Eichel tonight.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Is Eichel getting more hype than Phil Kessel did one year out?

Easton Modano Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:34 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I graduated high school with a classmate who was 11 months older than me. Somehow, I doubt our age was taken into consideration by college admission boards.
That's because college admission has different parameters from being drafted into hockey. There are thousands of spots annually, for a sea of students who all fit very similar criteria. College applicants aren't seen as resources upon which the college will be "built", as an NHL prospect is seen by teams; they're people who meet certain minimum requirements and are willing to pay a bunch of money to the institution.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
That's because college admission has different parameters from being drafted into hockey. There are thousands of spots annually, for a sea of students who all fit very similar criteria. College applicants aren't seen as resources upon which the college will be "built", as an NHL prospect is seen by teams; they're people who meet certain minimum requirements and are willing to pay a bunch of money to the institution.
That has nothing to do with the question that was asked. I used a direct analogy responding to the premise: "If you have two kids, one who graduates well after they've turned 18, and another who graduates months prior to their 18th birthday, and they both have the same marks, would you not consider it more impressive that the younger one is performing at the specified level?"

The answer is, no one gives a ****.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
cats31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That has nothing to do with the question that was asked. I used a direct analogy responding to the premise: "If you have two kids, one who graduates well after they've turned 18, and another who graduates months prior to their 18th birthday, and they both have the same marks, would you not consider it more impressive that the younger one is performing at the specified level?"

The answer is, no one gives a ****.
Exactly, is Warren Buffet's $50+ billion less impressive because there are 17 year olds becoming multi million and billionaires overnight in silicon valley.

The only way I see age being a significant factor in the draft is when there is a 8+ month difference between 2 players.

We should start valuing guys like Bennett, Dal Colle, etc. more because they didn't get the experience of playing in the WJC this year and Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Ekblad did so it will have a bigger impact on Bennett and Dal Colle next year and help there development more next year than Reinhart, Draisaitl and Ekblad.

Last edited by cats31: 03-14-2014 at 11:18 PM.
cats31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
lifeisruff

With all due respect to McDavid, it's fun to think about Eichel with Girgenson, Ristolainen, Zadorov and maybe Carrier, Foligno, Deslauiers and Kea, with Nolan behind the bench.

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 03:52 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
Exactly, is Warren Buffet's $50+ billion less impressive because there are 17 year olds becoming multi million and billionaires overnight in silicon valley.

The only way I see age being a significant factor in the draft is when there is a 8+ month difference between 2 players.

We should start valuing guys like Bennett, Dal Colle, etc. more because they didn't get the experience of playing in the WJC this year and Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Ekblad did so it will have a bigger impact on Bennett and Dal Colle next year and help there development more next year than Reinhart, Draisaitl and Ekblad.
Making money is so far removed from mental and physical development it's not even funny. We're talking about hockey players and how far along they are through puberty and how much hockey they've played, not the amount of money someone has made.

@Juxtaposer: You used a direct analogy combined with supposition, so in other words you basically said a big load of nothing. Here, I have an analogy to match yours: "My pappy once seen a bear runnin' real fast - I bet it was as fast as a train."

Welp, there you have it! Conclusive evidence that bears actually run as fast as trains.

Old
04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
@Juxtaposer: You used a direct analogy combined with supposition, so in other words you basically said a big load of nothing. Here, I have an analogy to match yours: "My pappy once seen a bear runnin' real fast - I bet it was as fast as a train."

Welp, there you have it! Conclusive evidence that bears actually run as fast as trains.
I literally answered the exact question you posed. Literally the exact question you posed. Literally. If you didn't think it was a valid question, then why on earth did you ask it?

Old
04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Modano Curve View Post
Is Eichel getting more hype than Phil Kessel did one year out?
I don't think so. When Kessel was a year out from his draft, he was being talked about as a borderline generational talent. He was considered by most to be clearly the best player of his draft year as well.

I know some people have Eichel above McDavid, but I don't think it's a majority opinion, and I think it has less to do with those individuals thinking that Eichel is a generational talent than it does them thinking that McDavid is not. That's the feeling that I get at least.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:56 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
With all due respect to McDavid, it's fun to think about Eichel with Girgenson, Ristolainen, Zadorov and maybe Carrier, Foligno, Deslauiers and Kea, with Nolan behind the bench.
Grigorenko, Fasching, McCabe, Ullmark...

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

So...with the Remparts now confirmed to get next year's Memorial Cup I wonder if that will push Eichel towards the Q...assuming he could get traded there.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
Eichel with Girgensens, Bennett , Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Fasching, Deslauiers...I'd feel bad for teams at that point.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
So...with the Remparts now confirmed to get next year's Memorial Cup I wonder if that will push Eichel towards the Q...assuming he could get traded there.
I don't think Roy would want to give up too much for Eichel, since he probably would only play in the Q for one season before leaving for the NHL. That was the main reason why he didn't try harder to trade for MacKinnon from Baie-Comeau, that he wouldn't have him long enough to justify the price he would pay. However, like you said, Quebec is a much better team now than they were when MacKinnon was drafted into the Q, so I would guess that it is more possible now then back then.

Old
04-03-2014, 05:45 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
I don't think Roy would want to give up too much for Eichel, since he probably would only play in the Q for one season before leaving for the NHL. That was the main reason why he didn't try harder to trade for MacKinnon from Baie-Comeau, that he wouldn't have him long enough to justify the price he would pay. However, like you said, Quebec is a much better team now than they were when MacKinnon was drafted into the Q, so I would guess that it is more possible now then back then.
Roy is coaching the Colorado Avalanche.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 05:52 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Roy is coaching the Colorado Avalanche.
Doesn't he still own the Remparts though? I could have sworn I read somewhere that he does.

Old
04-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Plastic Joseph

Quote:
Doesn't he still own the Remparts though? I could have sworn I read somewhere that he does.
I believe he is still an owner

EDIT: according to wikipedia, he is

Plastic Joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 06:22 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Joseph View Post
I believe he is still an owner

EDIT: according to wikipedia, he is
Yeah, considering he wanted control over Colorado's player personnel when he signed on with the Avs, I can't imagine him letting Phillippe Boucher make a major move like that without at least consulting him.

Old
04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
He didn't have the assets to pay for Mackinnon. Eichel won't cost as much.

Boucher, as GM of Rimouski, was the runner up in the MacKinnon derby.

Anyway, I believe Eichel will fulfill his commitment to BU.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 12:43 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think if one domino falls, they all fall.

Kyrs and Campoli are rumored to be on QC's list... If Hanifin reports you can bet Eichel will be pushed.

With Quebec you just don't know.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 07:22 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I can assure you Krys and Campoli are on every QMJHL teams list.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I can assure you Krys and Campoli are on every QMJHL teams list.
Absolutely, however they will only report to a handful of teams.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote