HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  #26
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Why, because the players the Leafs are offering play for the Leafs?
You mean the leafs can offer players playing on other teams.

I would love to have Kennedy on the Oilers for the energy he brings to the game. Sutter is only going to get better and will supply the size and grit the Pens need at C. Tangradi is still a work in progress, but he's another big player the Pens need.

Kulimen is a big question mark, look like he took a giant step backward last season or was that 30 goal season a fluke. Yes he's playing well in the KHL, but he's always played well in the KHL, and the KHL is not the NHL. Bozak is small 2nd/3rd line C on a bad team and why would the Pens want him, he's not big enough for what the Pens need.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
  #27
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
No, Gunnarsson is a totally average third pairing defenseman.
Really educated opinion you got there.

Gunnarsson was a top pairing D for us. He rarely ever makes mistakes and he's as solid as a rock. He's mobile and has some offence to him as well. Don't see how Niskanen even comes close to him.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  #28
Badger Mayhew
Registered User
 
Badger Mayhew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
No, Gunnarsson is a totally average third pairing defenseman.
You haven't seen many Leafs games, have you?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  #29
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
I can't see Toronto or Pittsburgh agreeing to this trade.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  #30
limite*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
This is a deal that actually makes no sense for either team.

Bozak....Sutter... one has proven chemistry with Phil Kessel and is a UFA, the other is younger, probably better defensively, and has years of control. Should be pretty obvious that both teams would prefer to not make that swap.
This absurd. Toronto would trade Bozak for Sutter in a heartbeat. He's an infinitely better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Kennedy...Tangradi...Kulemin... I'm just wondering why the Leafs would make such a clear downgrade...when they're loaded with depth up front, and short on size in their top 6?
Toronto is downgrading by trading a player who scored 7 goals last year????? .
That's really a laugh. Kennedy is a good energy player who scored 20 goals the only year he got any power play time. At worst, its an even trade for Toronto.

Tangradi is useless. I don't know why anyone would want him.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
  #31
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Really educated opinion you got there.

Gunnarsson was a top pairing D for us. He rarely ever makes mistakes and he's as solid as a rock. He's mobile and has some offence to him as well. Don't see how Niskanen even comes close to him.
No offense, but that's not saying much. Toronto was one of the worst teams in the league last year, on a better team he'd ideally be a third pairing defenseman. Same goes for Niskanen, even though he was one of the Pens' better defensemen last year, as well as he played, it had more to do with most of the other defensemen struggling.

A player with Orpik's mobility, physicality and experience is more rare and valuable than a Niskanen or Gunnarsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post


Toronto is downgrading by trading a player who scored 7 goals last year????? .
That's really a laugh. Kennedy is a good energy player who scored 20 goals the only year he got any power play time. At worst, its an even trade for Toronto.
Even if Kulemin doesn't regain his offensive touch from a couple years ago, he's still a big upgrade on Kennedy in terms of size, strength and defensive play. If he only ended up as third liner, he'd be strong foundation for a shutdown line with Sutter for years to come.

I'd trade Kennedy for Kulemin in a heartbeat, Toronto wouldn't do it, though.

And I'm not one of the Pens fans that wants to throw Kennedy away for nothing either, I think he's a valuable role player. But the Pens win a Kulemin for Kennedy swap.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
  #32
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Really educated opinion you got there.

Gunnarsson was a top pairing D for us. He rarely ever makes mistakes and he's as solid as a rock. He's mobile and has some offence to him as well. Don't see how Niskanen even comes close to him.
Settle down, buddy.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  #33
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Read the first couple of posts from Leafs fans and realized this was going nowhere.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
  #34
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Really educated opinion you got there.

Gunnarsson was a top pairing D for us. He rarely ever makes mistakes and he's as solid as a rock. He's mobile and has some offence to him as well. Don't see how Niskanen even comes close to him.
Then take off your blue coloured glasses.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
  #35
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
No, Gunnarsson is a totally average third pairing defenseman.
No, he is a decent second pairing defenseman. Granted, he may not crack the top four rosters in say Vancouver or New York but that's not a bad thing.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
  #36
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71
 
IBLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BARRY'S BAY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
No, Gunnarsson is a totally average third pairing defenseman.
if by average u mean 1st but more likley 2nd pairing d man u hit the nail on the head sure!!!

IBLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:14 PM
  #37
BonMorrison
Sexy Back
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,381
vCash: 500
The dream of having Kulemin play with Malkin it Pittsburgh sailed when Jordan Staal got traded.

He was literally the only realistic player that could've taken Kulemin from Toronto.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:42 PM
  #38
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
The dream of having Kulemin play with Malkin it Pittsburgh sailed when Jordan Staal got traded.

He was literally the only realistic player that could've taken Kulemin from Toronto.
Staal for Kulemin was never realistic.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
  #39
BonMorrison
Sexy Back
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Staal for Kulemin was never realistic.
I'm too lazy to go through old posts but when Kulemin was coming off his career year and Staal was clearly on the trade block, Kulemin+ for Staal was discussed to death. I believe Pittsburgh fans were asking for Kulemin (to play with Malkin), Bozak (to play #3C) and either a pick or Gunnarsson but Leaf fans were having none of it.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  #40
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I'm too lazy to go through old posts but when Kulemin was coming off his career year and Staal was clearly on the trade block, Kulemin+ for Staal was discussed to death. I believe Pittsburgh fans were asking for Kulemin (to play with Malkin), Bozak (to play #3C) and either a pick or Gunnarsson but Leaf fans were having none of it.
It was Leafs fans offering Kaberle or Bozak + and then getting offended when Pens fans said no.

Kaberle for Staal proposals used to be a weekly thing.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
  #41
BonMorrison
Sexy Back
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,381
vCash: 500
That is true for when the season was going but during the off-season after Kulie had a career year, the proposals all focused around him playing with Malkin.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
  #42
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
Pens aren't trading Sutter.

You can have Craig Adams for you #1 C

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 AM
  #43
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!
 
spiny norman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
That is true for when the season was going but during the off-season after Kulie had a career year, the proposals all focused around him playing with Malkin.
0.01% of the proposals that you're referring to originated from fans of the Penguins.

This is not to say that Kulemin is a player of little value; in fact, it's far from it.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:23 AM
  #44
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Sutter > Bozak
Kulemin > Kennedy

Tangradi doesn't add anything.

I'd rather stick with Kulemin's potential and Bozak's chemistry with Kessel. Pass on this one.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
  #45
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
After reading through this again, I have come to the conclusion that the malady this thread is suffering from is that both fanbases seem to be able to see clearly and realistically what this players are, a pretty good third line shutdown center (Sutter) and a fast, broad-bodied middle six winger, who can plug a top line in a pinch (Kulemin), but even knowing this they run way overboard with what these players will be able to do on a new team.

Sutter is not Staal. The 2C who has shackled him to his shutdown role so far was not Evgeni Malkin but Jussi Jokinen. He is not the center for Kessel that the Leafs are looking for.

Kulemin is not Neal. He could arguably work as a decent enough plug for Malkin-Neal, but is not at all the young winger with upside for Crosby, that the Pens really need/want.

Neither of this is really anywhere near a "you won`t know unless you try" situation. Most here do know.

Bozak, Kennedy and Tangradi aren`t really worth discussing. I do not care which team any of them play on next year.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  #46
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
0.01% of the proposals that you're referring to originated from fans of the Penguins.

This is not to say that Kulemin is a player of little value; in fact, it's far from it.
What do you value Kulemin at, the 30g scorer, or the player you saw last season. Also can the Leafs afford to give up that size and grit Kulemin sometimes brings.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
  #47
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 28,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
After reading through this again, I have come to the conclusion that the malady this thread is suffering from is that both fanbases seem to be able to see clearly and realistically what this players are, a pretty good third line shutdown center (Sutter) and a fast, broad-bodied middle six winger, who can plug a top line in a pinch (Kulemin), but even knowing this they run way overboard with what these players will be able to do on a new team.

Sutter is not Staal. The 2C who has shackled him to his shutdown role so far was not Evgeni Malkin but Jussi Jokinen. He is not the center for Kessel that the Leafs are looking for.

Kulemin is not Neal. He could arguably work as a decent enough plug for Malkin-Neal, but is not at all the young winger with upside for Crosby, that the Pens really need/want.

Neither of this is really anywhere near a "you won`t know unless you try" situation. Most here do know.

Bozak, Kennedy and Tangradi aren`t really worth discussing. I do not care which team any of them play on next year.
1. The Pens real issue is that they shouldn't have Kennedy or Dupuis in their top six by the deadline.

2. Acquiring Kulemin lets the Pens run a Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line until the deadline, when they make their play for a winger to play with Crosby (and Kunitz).

3. There's no roster player the Pens would give up who the Leafs would want as main piece in a deal for Kulemin.

4. Only deal I could conceive is something like Bennett or Harrington or Matta (with Kennedy or Tangradi as the throw in) for Kulemin, and I don't know whether that interests Burke and I doubt Shero does that.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
  #48
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 28,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
What do you value Kulemin at, the 30g scorer, or the player you saw last season. Also can the Leafs afford to give up that size and grit Kulemin sometimes brings.
1. I think you value him somewhere in between and, I suspect, for trade purposes, the value should be as a 45-50 point guy who's a second/third line tweener on a playoff caliber team.

2. I think the Leafs could afford to give up the size and grit IF they were moving him in a package deal for a top end player or IF they were moving him in a deal where they get a legitimate prospect (former 1st or 2nd rounder who would've been a first rounder with the benefit of hindsight) and a stop gap to play a third line role coming back.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
  #49
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. The Pens real issue is that they shouldn't have Kennedy or Dupuis in their top six by the deadline.

2. Acquiring Kulemin lets the Pens run a Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line until the deadline, when they make their play for a winger to play with Crosby (and Kunitz).

3. There's no roster player the Pens would give up who the Leafs would want as main piece in a deal for Kulemin.

4. Only deal I could conceive is something like Bennett or Harrington or Matta (with Kennedy or Tangradi as the throw in) for Kulemin, and I don't know whether that interests Burke and I doubt Shero does that.
#4. No.

The only way the Leafs are better off without Kulemin is with a #1 goaltender or #1 centre. If a team isn't prepared to part with one of those, Kulemin will remain in Toronto. '

Realistically... with the amount of depth the Leafs have, any deal is going to fall under the paramaters of the Leafs making a 2-for-1 type deal with a team who's prepared to downgrade a player with the intention of filling another hole in the lineup as a result. If that doesn't work for Pittsburgh, then there's simply no deal to be made.

That being said, if Pittsburgh is looking to add depth on the wing, and are prepared to part with a defenceman, what would the Leafs have to add to MacArthur to get Orpik?

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
  #50
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 28,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
#4. No.

The only way the Leafs are better off without Kulemin is with a #1 goaltender or #1 centre. If a team isn't prepared to part with one of those, Kulemin will remain in Toronto. '

Realistically... with the amount of depth the Leafs have, any deal is going to fall under the paramaters of the Leafs making a 2-for-1 type deal with a team who's prepared to downgrade a player with the intention of filling another hole in the lineup as a result. If that doesn't work for Pittsburgh, then there's simply no deal to be made.

That being said, if Pittsburgh is looking to add depth on the wing, and are prepared to part with a defenceman, what would the Leafs have to add to MacArthur to get Orpik?
Kulemin

Seriously, I said 'only deal I could conceive', not what I'd expect. I don't think that's what Burke is looking for. Maybe he loves either Bennett or Harrington enough to take Kennedy as a stop gap. But, I doubt it. And, I doubt that Shero moves either of those two for Kulemin.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.