HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Old
01-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
You base your identity and personality based on the opinions of people's opinions about hockey?
That sounds sad.
if a certain person's opinions are the basis of a larger national identity, then yes. For all the happy go lucky talk, Canadians are largely introverted and isolationist.

I don't wanna get into a talk about polotics tho, nothing good can come from it. I had a long, drawn out response to your original question, but don't wanna start anything, so guess we'll just agree to disagree.

What I will say tho, is that, being almost 30, and having lived in both countries, there're reasons (beyond hockey surprisingly), that I love and identify better with one country more than the other, and it isn't the one I was born in.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Ilyeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftBackLegend View Post
You need some reading comprehension classes mate.
Keep trying harder. By the way, the guy just responded and had a comment. I guess he understood.... mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
if a certain person's opinions are the basis of a larger national identity, then yes. For all the happy go lucky talk, Canadians are largely introverted and isolationist.

I don't wanna get into a talk about polotics tho, nothing good can come from it. I had a long, drawn out response to your original question, but don't wanna start anything, so guess we'll just agree to disagree.

What I will say tho, is that, being almost 30, and having lived in both countries, there're reasons (beyond hockey surprisingly), that I love and identify better with one country more than the other, and it isn't the one I was born in.
Countries are just land. Hockey is just a sport. You can die at any moment. Who really cares. Just be who you need to be and do what you have to do.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
Countries are just land. Hockey is just a sport. You can die at any moment. Who really cares. Just be who you need to be and do what you have to do.
That's over simplifying. But Countries are more than just land, otherwise people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch over hockey tournaments. I am and will always be me. My point is that "Me" feels a stronger bond to his adopted country than his native one.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
That's over simplifying. But Countries are more than just land, otherwise people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch over hockey tournaments. I am and will always be me. My point is that "Me" feels a stronger bond to his adopted country than his native one.
I think you mean culture. If you do that's fine, no one's going to lynch you. It's a free country. I'm apathetic to the Juniors. I haven't seen a full game since 2009. I don't really care about country pride. I like the fun nature of the rivalry though. It's fun to get behind a team.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Abraham85

What a senile old fool.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:52 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
And consider the substance of this rant which essentially boils down to saying "we should make sure no one else in the world gets a chance to play and be coached at good level so that we can keep winning" eek what a depressing thought
The notion that coaching in Canada is any better than in countries that beat Canada at the WJC is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The CHL produces the best players because Canada produces the best junior players. Most of these super prospects are elite at 15 when they enter the league and the league continues their progression.
The CHL does not produce the best players, it merely produces a higher number of good players. Most European "super prospects" do not go to the CHL.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:59 AM
n00bxQb

Don Cherry: "Blah blah blah Russians blah blah blah Europeans blah blah blah xenophobic comment blah blah blah pay attention kids blah blah blah."

Cherry is a racist, senile old man who lost relevancy years ago. He and Ron McLean need to go soon.

Just to add to this: The CHL isn't just for Canadians, Don. There are MANY American teams in the league and I don't think CHL owners or fans are regretting the allowance of spectacular international talents in the league. Do you think Sarnia's owner or fans wish they never had Yakupov or Galchenyuk?

I cheer just as hard for guys like Gogolev, Polivka, and the Walker brothers as I do for Hicketts, Hodges, and Stahl for the Royals. I don't care where they're from as long as they represent the team well on and off the ice.

And, of course, there's the hypocrisy of a former AMERICAN Hockey League coach from Canada saying the CANADIAN Hockey League should be exclusive to Canadians ...

Last edited by n00bxQb: 01-06-2013 at 06:28 AM.
n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
I don't think the allowed 2 imports would actually improved things that much.He prefers "heart" type players and you need a combination of skill and heart to win.
Cherry didn't only stay away from Europeans, but Americans also. Had he not been so pigheaded he would have selected the best players available rather than the best Canadian grinder every time. So not only was he missing 2 possible improvements coming from Europe, but an additional 3-4 from the USA. It's hard to make excuses for someone who can't build a team capable of winning at least 5 games when he practices exactly what he's preaching for everyone else to do. Clearly his model isn't successful and there's a reason nobody in professional hockey listens to him.

Cherry's mind is stuck in a different time. Nobody cares about WW2 rivalries anymore. He proved this is his mind set with that tweet between Germany and Russia. His nationalism and hate is based off of war and economic models rather than sports, which is why his ideals don't work in hockey.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
SouthFLFan79

I think I just saw Grimaldi score again in-between his comments

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
You cannot deny that the CHL has been instrumental in evening the playing field for the WJC. That is not a bad thing. Only xenophobes would want to remove non-Canadians.
Its done so much for players without even playing there! When you push the envelope of talent like that, it forces everyone else to keep up with you, or at least try. NCAA, USHL, NTDP have improved drastically as of late and its a wonderful thing.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Langdon Alger*

For a while now, I've felt that keeping junior hockey players in their countries of origin would be nothing but beneficial. Kids shouldn't have to move to the other side of the world at 17 just to play hockey at a high enough level to properly nurture their abilities.

Keep the CHL for Canadians (and, to a much lesser extent, the MHL for Russians) and you improve the quality of play and the relevance of junior leagues in Finland, Sweden, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia - junior leagues that are losing their top players to CHL teams every year.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

If the CHL ever listened to this awful suggestion, I'd just stop watching. The exciting element they bring is a good part of the reason I'm a CHL fan.

Europeans, don't let Don Cherry, or the rest of these xenophobes who've never left the country form your view of Canadians! We're not all awful and ignorant!

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
AD1066
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
For a while now, I've felt that keeping junior hockey players in their countries of origin would be nothing but beneficial. Kids shouldn't have to move to the other side of the world at 17 just to play hockey at a high enough level to properly nurture their abilities.

Keep the CHL for Canadians (and, to a much lesser extent, the MHL for Russians) and you improve the quality of play and the relevance of junior leagues in Finland, Sweden, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia - junior leagues that are losing their top players to CHL teams every year.
You're hindering the development of both groups. Let the best play against the best and hone their skills accordingly.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Yakushev72

A lot of Russian fans agree that the CHL should ban Russians from playing in the league. The best Russian kids need to stay home and play in the MHL, VHL or KHL. They can make a lot more money, and it will serve to strengthen Russian leagues and build increasing fan interest. Many of us agree with Don Cherry on this.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post

They don't have to move, no one is making them, it is a personal/family decision. Kids have to move from Vancouver and play in Brandon or Prince Albert. That is pretty far from home, not like you can drive home to mom or hop on a plane.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Human Bean
holy frijoles

Stupid lockout, can you imagine how epic last nights Coach's Corner would have been?

Human Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
OiledUp

For the development of finnish, russian and swedish player I doubt the CHL matters at all, if anything losing players to the CHL actuallt hurts us. For the czechs I think it might be a nice out for talented players since their junior program is in shambles atm, but in the long run it might actually hurt their ability to build up a good program. Same goes for the Slovaks.
For the smaller hockey markets I think it's great having players in the CHL since the quality of play at home is too low.

At the end of the day everyone should be allowed to play wherever the **** they want. The world is our oyster don't let something as made up and silly as borders stop people from following their dream.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
lol at the Americans naming 5 players from NCAA

how long is the list from chl??
On Team USA: 9 players from the CHL (1 was Garret Sparks who saw 0 action) 13 from the NCAA, and 1 from the AHL who previously played in the OHL. So if you want to include JT Miller, 10/23 players are CHL guys.

In short, that list isn't as long as the NCAA list.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Den

"I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians",

while the NHL should be for the "nationals"...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:14 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
"I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians",

while the NHL should be for the "nationals"...
Don't forget, the man you're quoting is an idiot. He doesn't have to make sense to be right in his own mind.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Once again, the "enlightened ones" on the HF Boards believe that they are reading the rants of an angry racist. That is highly oversimplifying things.

In short, I agree with him. Why have a developmental league called the "CHL" when you are developing players from other nations?

I believe Canada should have its own developmental leagues, and I am not a senile old fool, nor am I racist.

Put in a simpler form...pretend you have a minor football league in Texas. Now you start loading up that league with specific Czechs, Russians, and Slovaks while the American kids who would have been on the team sit on the sidelines or in the stands and watch.

Because it is a good league, the foreign kids choose to come to that Texan league because they want to improve their skills and get drafted. They get funded by greedy management that wants to win above developing anyone in particular. Their parents, seeing that they can send them to Texas and give them to have a better life in a foreign nation, also support that movement.

Meanwhile, the Texan kids can't afford to leave to go to another nation or don't want to play in second class leagues in another country...so they decide to play a more recreational, cheaper, and less competative form of the game, and thus never develop into the potential NFLer's that they could have been.

Believing that they should have their own developmental league has nothing to do with hating people from other nations, but more like supporting those from your own. That is how I look at it. I think this is also how Cherry looks at it.

But of course, instead of looking at things from another point of view, it is easier to call him a biggot or an idiot and leave it at that. Weak.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
A lot of Russian fans agree that the CHL should ban Russians from playing in the league. The best Russian kids need to stay home and play in the MHL, VHL or KHL. They can make a lot more money, and it will serve to strengthen Russian leagues and build increasing fan interest. Many of us agree with Don Cherry on this.
Bravo!!!

Exactly what I would suggest.

It has nothing to do with hating anyone, it has to do with developing your own players and leagues at home.

I am glad someone gets it.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Bravo!!!

Exactly what I would suggest.

It has nothing to do with hating anyone, it has to do with developing your own players and leagues at home.

I am glad someone gets it.
So then you agree that the NCAA shouldn't offer any Canadians athletic scholarships, correct?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
So then you agree that the NCAA shouldn't offer any Canadians athletic scholarships, correct?
I guess the first question I would pose is this...is the NCAA "developmental" for hockey players, or is it a destination in and of itself?

Second, can the NCAA compete with only American players?

If it is developmental, and it could compete without foreign born players, then I would say yes, it should only offer scholarships to American players.

But I guess I would add this...if you look at our CFL in Canada, we have restrictions on the number of US players that are allowed to play on each team...but the CFL could not exist without American football players. We have the numbers, but it would be of such a terrible quality that no one would want to watch it. Would the same be true for the NCAA? Maybe, but then again, the NCAA may be developmental, whereas the CFL is not...so that may be the difference.

In all honesty, I am not qualified to decide whether the NCAA is developmental or a destination for the best players of that age group regardless of nationality.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Yes, let them develop their own basketball players This kind of mentality is beyond ********, especially when imports are actually helping the best Canadian kids develop even better. You know, the ones that actually end up representing your country.

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote