HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
  #676
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Because it's good advertisement for their business if the player ends up making the NHL. Nobody cares about some average player who might play a couple years in the CHL as the 7th dman and then call it quits.

Was there a point to this sob story, other than the hurt feelings of some 16yo with crazy parents?
Not really much of a point,just stirring the pot a little since it seems so many people have been offended by Don's comments.It's kind of boring at work today.But agree or disagree,his statements do bear SOME merit,it's just I think he had a few too many shots in the head when he was a player and doesn't really think about what he is saying beforehand and gets himself into trouble.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
  #677
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I am going by what a lot of European posters are saying here. Guys who agree with Cherry because they value their national program as much as I value mine.

Most of the people freaking out over this are Canadians and Americans, not Europeans.

I really don't know what ******** means, by the way. I speak English, not overused internet slang.

ACtually, virtually everyone I know inside of hockey and casual observers have used the reasons you say no one used to explain Canada's losses at the WJC. I know it is more fun to spout off about what you hope people say so that it conforms with your argument, but sorry, it does not work.

No one is whining. I have been saying that the CHL should be acting more as a developmental league for many years. Go find my previous posts about it. Hell, I probably was saying it after we won five tourneys in a row. I could care less about this year's WJC. I am concerned with the opportnities for the development of Canadian players, just as I would expect my Russian friends to be concerned with the development of theirs. I think that a 16 year old Canadian kid who is on the fence of making a junior team in his own hometown should get a shot at doing that without competing against someone from another country halfway around the world. For pros, I feel differently. Every man for himself, and may the best man get the job. I just want my Canadian kids to have the best shot possible. If that makes me evil, call me Satan.
By that logic we should prohibit Canadian kids from taking spots at U.S. colleges and then working in the U.S....See where this goes?

You lost. We were better. That's it. The blame goes to those who picked the team and those who coached and played. Also, another possibility is that the U.S. top 20 U20 players are better this year than the top 20 U20 players in Canada and all other countries. But you would never consider that.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
  #678
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.
You (in a very long winded fashion) just described how the world works. Are you suggesting that the Chinese kid should not have access to that job? If you are, then you are an advocate of Canadian kids going to college only in Canada and not having the U.S. economy at their disposal when they graduate. I really doubt that's true. And this is why Don Cherry is an idiot. He cannot see the implications of his dopey rants. He just craps out of his mouth and let's others figure out why his comments are inappropriate/moronic.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
  #679
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?
 
Judge Smails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bushwood CC
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
And just what the hell are the Blue Jays doing in the American League, anyway?

Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
  #680
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Could quite possibly be the stupidest thing I have ever read. Sure a lot of Americans benefit from Canadian training. But there are many players who have been purely raised in the American fashion as in going through the US National Development Team and going onto to play in the NCAA.

That's like USA complaining about losing an international basketball tourney because kids are being coached by Calipari, Coach K or some other dominant NCAA coach. Cherry should just grow the hell up and admit Canada lost to a better team.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  #681
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
"I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians, either that or change the name.Some Canadian guy spends thousands on sticks, travel, equipment, pays his taxes and his kid is cut from the CHL for some kid who's father never contributed a cent to Canada."
seriously though, do canadian tax dollars really fund the CHL?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
  #682
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.

How about if you are the best engineer in the world, but the highest paid job is in China and they won't hire you because you have the wrong passport, despite being the best at your job. Wouldn't you feel devastated?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
  #683
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
seriously though, do canadian tax dollars really fund the CHL?
Not directly,only the tax write offs the owners claim.DC is talking about the cost of minor hockey.The money generated by minor hockey regardless of where it is going contributes billions to the Canadian economy.All minor hockey teams are non-profit,so every penny spent on fees is routed directly back into the regional economy.

I'm pretty sure all the arenas the CHL teams play in are government owned and probably leased to the teams at a reduced rate.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
  #684
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
How about if you are the best engineer in the world, but the highest paid job is in China and they won't hire you because you have the wrong passport, despite being the best at your job. Wouldn't you feel devastated?
Point taken.I guess I'll stay at home and work elsewhere until another opportunity comes along.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
  #685
Ilyeu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
28 pages of everyone saying the same thing.

Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
  #686
DayNah
Ship it donk!
 
DayNah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,251
vCash: 561
Don Cherry is a piece of trash.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  #687
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
And just what the hell are the Blue Jays doing in the American League, anyway?
love the avatar! you get nothing and like it!! classic line!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
  #688
ogas1121
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
if don says there shouldnt be Americans or Europeans in the "Canadian" hockey league then by that logic there shouldn't be canadiens or europeans in the American hockey league wtf

ogas1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
  #689
SkiesOfArcadia
Legends
 
SkiesOfArcadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.
And I'm supposed to care about the Canadian Engineer's hard work like it guarantees a position in a workplace? It's the performance during the years that you work that matter. If the Chinese Engineer is outperforming the Canadian Engineer, then by all means Chinese Engineer deserves a spot in the company because he has proven himself as a more talented Engineer than the Canadian. That's the way the world works, I have never heard of any employer giving people of the employer's nationality a sympathetic hiring just because they are part of their nationality and hard-working instead of letting people talent speak for themselves.

Think about it this way, you're the GM of Hockey Canada's 2014 Olympic Hockey team, and you have full power in deciding who gets to play for you in the upcoming Olympics. Are you going to pick the hard-working Canadian who is of average talent? Or are you going to pick the Elite player who has proven himself as having more talent the hard worker? The problem is not about someone's nationality, it's about having proven enough that you deserve the spot. We're not going to discriminate people because of this BS called "hard work," when it's really "Oh you're born Canadian? Here's a spot just for you even though you suck at your work."

SkiesOfArcadia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
  #690
LoveHateLeafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.
I think I'd rather drive the car or live in the apartment building designed by the Chinese guy.

CHL teams don't have diversity requirements. They don't get extra points in the standings because they have import players. A goal scored by a Yakupov or a Landeskog doesn't count for more than one scored by a Canadian. Teams have the option of bringing in two import players. Some teams choose not to exercise this option. These guys don't get extra points because they're European. They get selected because the coach and GM believe they'll have a more positive effect on the game than the next best available Canadian or American player.

Your whole scenario is based on the some bizarre reality where there is exactly one engineering job in Canada for each graduating class. The job market doesn't work that way and neither does the CHL. If you're the top engineering graduate in all of Canada for a given year, you WILL get a job. If a fifteen-year-old kid is the top player in his given league, he'll get drafted and get every opportunity to prove himself in his home CHL league. If passed over, he can even offer his services to a team in another CHL league (which is exactly what Claude Giroux did).

You (and Don) seem to be under the mistaken impression that the scrubs and borderline Canadian players that want to play in the CHL are competing for places with the likes of WJC stars like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, and Jones. The players that don't get onto a CHL roster because of a WJC-calibre foreigner will never represent Canada and will never go anywhere near the NHL or quite likely the AHL. They will quite likely never earn a single dollar playing the game. They might get their schooling paid for if they can stick in there enough, but the bottom line is that these kids will spend their whole CHL career competing, not with the stars, but with other similarly talented in-betweeners. If you're so concerned with the CHL's ability to act as a development league for younger (say 16-17 year old) Canadian players, why don't we get rid of the overage Canadian players, whose careers aren't likely to go anywhere. Off the top of my head, I can only think of three current CHL alumni in the NHL who played an overage year: Ward, Callahan, and Girardi.

As for the parents, they should have done a realistic assessment of the potential for their son to play in the CHL before investing all that time and money.

And since you brought up engineering and Canada, it might interest you to know that according to this analysis and some quick googling, the most highly cited Canada-based researchers in 3 of 6 engineering disciplines are "import players". Maybe we should send them back and let some borderline Canadian do the job. After all, these guys are all on the receiving end of Federal money in the form of research grants, unlike import players in the CHL, who only receive reimbursement in the form of food, board, and equipment from private businesses.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
  #691
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
I think I'd rather drive the car or live in the apartment building designed by the Chinese guy.

CHL teams don't have diversity requirements. They don't get extra points in the standings because they have import players. A goal scored by a Yakupov or a Landeskog doesn't count for more than one scored by a Canadian. Teams have the option of bringing in two import players. Some teams choose not to exercise this option. These guys don't get extra points because they're European. They get selected because the coach and GM believe they'll have a more positive effect on the game than the next best available Canadian or American player.

Your whole scenario is based on the some bizarre reality where there is exactly one engineering job in Canada for each graduating class. The job market doesn't work that way and neither does the CHL. If you're the top engineering graduate in all of Canada for a given year, you WILL get a job. If a fifteen-year-old kid is the top player in his given league, he'll get drafted and get every opportunity to prove himself in his home CHL league. If passed over, he can even offer his services to a team in another CHL league (which is exactly what Claude Giroux did).

You (and Don) seem to be under the mistaken impression that the scrubs and borderline Canadian players that want to play in the CHL are competing for places with the likes of WJC stars like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, and Jones. The players that don't get onto a CHL roster because of a WJC-calibre foreigner will never represent Canada and will never go anywhere near the NHL or quite likely the AHL. They will quite likely never earn a single dollar playing the game. They might get their schooling paid for if they can stick in there enough, but the bottom line is that these kids will spend their whole CHL career competing, not with the stars, but with other similarly talented in-betweeners. If you're so concerned with the CHL's ability to act as a development league for younger (say 16-17 year old) Canadian players, why don't we get rid of the overage Canadian players, whose careers aren't likely to go anywhere. Off the top of my head, I can only think of three current CHL alumni in the NHL who played an overage year: Ward, Callahan, and Girardi.

As for the parents, they should have done a realistic assessment of the potential for their son to play in the CHL before investing all that time and money.

And since you brought up engineering and Canada, it might interest you to know that according to this analysis and some quick googling, the most highly cited Canada-based researchers in 3 of 6 engineering disciplines are "import players". Maybe we should send them back and let some borderline Canadian do the job. After all, these guys are all on the receiving end of Federal money in the form of research grants, unlike import players in the CHL, who only receive reimbursement in the form of food, board, and equipment from private businesses.
That'd be counterproductive as elite Canadian players would not have decent competition and would stagnate.

One of the main reasons I would not go the CHL route as a young hockey player (you are free to laugh at this thought because I'm a terrible player but hypothetically) is because of the NHL-CHL agreement can result in stalled development for many players.

Two examples I can think of recently are Brett Conolly and Nino Niederreiter. Connolly dominated after his draft year was cut short by an injury. He clearly was done with junior and another year would not add anything to his development. He wasn't quite ready for the NHL either, but under the NHL-CHL agreement he had only those two options. The Lightning choose to keep him in the NHL but play him sparingly, giving him limited minutes and scratching him for several games because he simply wasn't NHL ready. The same thing happened with Niederreiter where he was clearly done with junior but not NHL ready. He spent 55 games in the NHL, got hurt and scored 1 point. Now he's in the AHL where he belongs and has a chance to improve. Under the CHL agreement he could only stagnate another year in junior or be overwhelmed in the NHL.

A little bit off topic but to bring it back if you want elite players to develop they need to play up a year against quality competition. John Tavares would have gained absolutely nothing playing in a league of 15 year olds when he was 15. At the same time he would have gained nothing playing as a 19 year old in the CHL. If you want elite Canadian players to develop they have to play against players who are better than they are, which means older since by being elite they are the best for their age group. Filling the entire league with 16-17 year old Canadian boys would just result in stagnating players across the country. The same happens if you water down the league by taking out quality talent. The fact is that some players simply aren't good enough and to hurt the ones that are just to make an exception for them would be the opposite of the goal of making the Canadian Junior Team better.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:29 AM
  #692
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.
Terrible analogy. There is no Affirmative Action or Employment Equity within the CHL so the diversity scenario doesn't even apply here.

So anyways, is anyone supposed to care that this kid doesn't make a CHL team because he isn't as good as the competition? Who cares where his parents poured their money into. That was there choice and they went in completely aware that there was no guarantee that he would ever make the team, regardless of the amount of money they put into his hockey. My parents and many of my friends parents poured thousands of dollars into hockey here in Canada and I didn't make it. Should we create pity leagues so that me and the millions of other kids who never go on to advanced levels of hockey can continue to play hockey? If these kids aren't good enough to play then they shouldn't be playing in the league. The kids coming over from Europe or up from the States are making the teams because they're BETTER than the other kids in camp.

Bunch of crap. If the kid isn't as good as the competition then he doesn't get to play. Could you imagine if the USA limited their automobile market to domestic cars only because the foreign cars were better and taking purchases away from the American manufacturers even though they were bailed out by American taxpayer money and assemble their vehicles in North America? Bull****.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:35 AM
  #693
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
And I'm supposed to care about the Canadian Engineer's hard work like it guarantees a position in a workplace? It's the performance during the years that you work that matter. If the Chinese Engineer is outperforming the Canadian Engineer, then by all means Chinese Engineer deserves a spot in the company because he has proven himself as a more talented Engineer than the Canadian. That's the way the world works, I have never heard of any employer giving people of the employer's nationality a sympathetic hiring just because they are part of their nationality and hard-working instead of letting people talent speak for themselves.

Think about it this way, you're the GM of Hockey Canada's 2014 Olympic Hockey team, and you have full power in deciding who gets to play for you in the upcoming Olympics. Are you going to pick the hard-working Canadian who is of average talent? Or are you going to pick the Elite player who has proven himself as having more talent the hard worker? The problem is not about someone's nationality, it's about having proven enough that you deserve the spot. We're not going to discriminate people because of this BS called "hard work," when it's really "Oh you're born Canadian? Here's a spot just for you even though you suck at your work."
In the scenario all the applicants are new graduates(including the one fromChina)with only their grades as the basis for qualification.Also,what if the applicant from China has been competing against lesser engineers than who you were ,would this not make his qualifications artificially higher than if he was competing in the same environment that you were.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
  #694
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Let's try to look at this from another point of view.

You have just graduated from university top of yor class in engineering.You worked your butt off all through high school and university,countless hours studying,part time work to support yourself and your family has been spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education.

One of the top engineering firms in the country has a job opening looking for a new graduate,you figure you are a shoe in.When you show up for the interview the are dozens of candidates with great qualifications,but with your grades you have no worries.

In through the door comes the brilliant graduate engineer from China,his grades are better,he's smarter and because the company hiring doesn't have very many foreiners working there he is hired.More so they can call themselves a racially diverse company than just his qualifications.

Of course this is good for the engineer from China,good for the company,but what about you and the other graduates that have put their whole lives into their education.You are all devastated that this person walks in from overseas and takes the start of your career away from you.

And what about the engineers currently employed by the firm,the new guy is brilliant,making them all look bad.

This is how a 15 year old kid feels,devastated,his parents are appalled ,he was the best in his league,they have spent so much time and hard earned money to make him one of the best.Put yourselves in this players and families shoes for 10 seconds and maybe you can sort of see where DC is coming from.
Your whole argument doesn't fly because if he was truly the best in the league that he played in, there would be room for him somewhere in one of the three Major Junior Leagues in Canada.

Finally, there is NO GUARANTEE that just because they spent all this time, money and effort on one goal that they will ever achieve that goal.

Thousands of Families across both Canada and the US do exactly what you describe and they get no where. For every kid that DOES make it, there are a hundred that do not.

No guarantee's in life.

Suck it up, buttercup

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
  #695
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Terrible analogy. There is no Affirmative Action or Employment Equity within the CHL so the diversity scenario doesn't even apply here.

So anyways, is anyone supposed to care that this kid doesn't make a CHL team because he isn't as good as the competition? Who cares where his parents poured their money into. That was there choice and they went in completely aware that there was no guarantee that he would ever make the team, regardless of the amount of money they put into his hockey. My parents and many of my friends parents poured thousands of dollars into hockey here in Canada and I didn't make it. Should we create pity leagues so that me and the millions of other kids who never go on to advanced levels of hockey can continue to play hockey? If these kids aren't good enough to play then they shouldn't be playing in the league. The kids coming over from Europe or up from the States are making the teams because they're BETTER than the other kids in camp.

Bunch of crap. If the kid isn't as good as the competition then he doesn't get to play. Could you imagine if the USA limited their automobile market to domestic cars only because the foreign cars were better and taking purchases away from the American manufacturers even though they were bailed out by American taxpayer money and assemble their vehicles in North America? Bull****.
Since you bring up the automobile comparison.Do you not think that such a large number of import vehicles being sold is the main reason for the decline of the NA economy over the past 3 decades.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:21 AM
  #696
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Since you bring up the automobile comparison.Do you not think that such a large number of import vehicles being sold is the main reason for the decline of the NA economy over the past 3 decades.
So we should accept a lesser quality product JUST because it was made domestically?

And no, that's not the main reason for the decline in the economy. I wouldn't lend to much value to that at all.

Similar to a lack of guarantee is that just because u build them here, there's no guarantee that they will sell better. And if you did happen to make a car worth buying domestically, it wouldn't matter how many other cars were imported, if your car was better, it would sell more.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
  #697
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Since you bring up the automobile comparison.Do you not think that such a large number of import vehicles being sold is the main reason for the decline of the NA economy over the past 3 decades.
This is getting a little off-topic, but the North American economy hasn't been in decline at all. Growth has slowed, but there is no decline. I don't think that it really has anything to do with slowed growth. There are plenty of foreign (European and Asian) car manufacturers that have facilities and head offices over here. They employ tens of thousands of North Americans and are healthy competition for the North American car brands that have been mismanaged and destroyed by the Autoworkers Unions and their ridiculous salary/benefit/pension demands. If GM and Chrysler can't compete with brands like Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. and they begin to lose money again then natural selection dictates they shouldn't exist

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
  #698
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
This is getting a little off-topic, but the North American economy hasn't been in decline at all. Growth has slowed, but there is no decline. I don't think that it really has anything to do with slowed growth. There are plenty of foreign (European and Asian) car manufacturers that have facilities and head offices over here. They employ tens of thousands of North Americans and are healthy competition for the North American car brands that have been mismanaged and destroyed by the Autoworkers Unions and their ridiculous salary/benefit/pension demands. If GM and Chrysler can't compete with brands like Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. and they begin to lose money again then natural selection dictates they shouldn't exist
Maybe decline is a bit going overboard.But if I am interpeting your post correctly you are saying that the import auto manifacturers have facilities here and contribute to our economy.But that is exactly what Cherry is saying,that whomever has paid for the import players minor hockey career has not contributed a penny to the North American hockey economy.

Are you also saying that if the import players continue to improve ,that eventually if we (North Americans)do not improve as fast or faster of a pace than they do, that the home grown hockey player should be no more.


Last edited by black charger: 01-09-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: change wording
black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
  #699
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
This is getting a little off-topic, but the North American economy hasn't been in decline at all. Growth has slowed, but there is no decline. I don't think that it really has anything to do with slowed growth. There are plenty of foreign (European and Asian) car manufacturers that have facilities and head offices over here. They employ tens of thousands of North Americans and are healthy competition for the North American car brands that have been mismanaged and destroyed by the Autoworkers Unions and their ridiculous salary/benefit/pension demands. If GM and Chrysler can't compete with brands like Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. and they begin to lose money again then natural selection dictates they shouldn't exist
Ehhhhhh, this is too off topic to really respond to, but if it wasn't, I'd have something to say.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
  #700
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
But that is exactly what Cherry is saying,that whomever has paid for the import players minor hockey career has not contributed a penny to the North American hockey economy.
No, he said the Canadian economy.

There are also around 150 Canadian CHL players on American teams who have not contributed anything to the USA either, and apparently you're fine with that. Don't you think that sounds pretty hypocritical?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.