HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT - Gold Medal Game - Sweden vs USA

Old
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
BTW, for those who feel the need to dump on the amount of attention it receives, bear in mind that we don't have our main sports network pushing this thing like it's the biggest deal on the sports calendar.
I'm american and am disappointed hockey is not the #1 sport. That's probably why I visit these boards to chat with my brethren about the best sport in the world.

Americans, canadians, swedes, russians......WE'RE ALL WINNERS!

HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Congrats to team USA, players and coaching staff. Phil Housley, u rock. Someone whos been there as a player, NHL player and coach.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbisen View Post
Conrats to team USA you where better today and deserved to win
Thanks!

Sportsmanship is too rare a thing in these threads.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
It is hard to watch your team lose. I know I don't feel the need to go actually pick a fight with the people that just made it happen. But I was very down in the dumps last year after the disaster north of the boarder as far as being a USA hockey fan.
That's why you just keep quiet and wait for :

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Thanks!

Sportsmanship is too rare a thing in these threads.
I like the trash talking. I think it's funny. Shows the passion fans have for their sport. Winners today, losers tomorrow. Losers today, winners tomorrow. And the cycle continues.

HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Grats team america on the win, well deserved. Only thing that is a bit bitter is that USA had several great chances.. but scored 2 goals on what really wasnt chances

Gibson was absolutely phenomenal through out the tournament, hope to see him in the NHL soon

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i think you're selling canadas options short haha. i still think they have a good group. USA has a few guys i would take first, but canada has more options i think...

however, just lundqvist alone would make me pick sweden, even if he were the only option haha. the man is just incredible.
Depends on how heavily you believe in some of those guys. Especially the ones he listed. Price I like, but he needs to get a little more consistent he is good. MAF hasn't looked that great lately. Luongo just lost his job to one of the Americans he listed and the one I actually think is the 5th goalie on our list. Smith, um... Yeah see Phoenix's record and Tippett's record with goalies, sure he has talent but you better put in Tippett's system if you want that to turn out well and pay for Burke to come along for the ride. Finally Ward, I actually like him the most, feel terrible the season is getting wiped out for a bunch of reasons. A small one is that guy finally has help again and I think he will start to get the credit he deserves. He is actually who I would start if I was running the Bench for Hockey Canada right now, Price backing him up.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Erm, not true. We are 10-0-5 vs Guatemala in the last two decades. The last time Guatemala beat the US was 1988.
I figured there might be someone that would take me literally, but the point remains: just because there are are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of youth players in a particular sport, it doesn't automatically translate into success at the world level. Our soccer program is a perfect example, by any standard we are second tier--at best.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
That's why you just keep quiet and wait for :

It was wonderful

Thanks for the short wait Hockey USA!

Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Fire Dumboer

Looks like Galchenyuk chose right

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Europe has a vicious nasty history of nationalism. I think they are quite fine where they are right now.
The irrational nationalism of the past is no excuse for the irrational masochism of the present. And, no, Europe is not fine right now. But anyways, this isn't the politics board.

Congratulations USA; you deserved it! Off to bed I go...

Domhnall Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Also, props to the Swedish players for being gracious in defeat and the Americans for staying classy after the game, it was great game to watch

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

By the way thanks to the classy Sweden fans. See a lot of back and forth with other nations on here, but guess what not much of that between the two teams that were actually in the game. Rare for these parts.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
Looks like Galchenyuk chose right
Indeed

Looked mighty happy to be singing his national anthem as well.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
I'm american and am disappointed hockey is not the #1 sport. That's probably why I visit these boards to chat with my brethren about the best sport in the world.

Americans, canadians, swedes, russians......WE'RE ALL WINNERS!
Not winning a medal = not winners. Hence Canada not being winners. (:

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I figured there might be someone that would take me literally, but the point remains: just because there are are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of youth players in a particular sport, it doesn't automatically translate into success at the world level. Our soccer program is a perfect example, by any standard we are second tier--at best.
you are technically correct, however, think of how AWFUL our soccer teams would be if the percentage of athletes that play soccer was the same as the percent that plays hockey. they're 2 different sports and you can't really compare them. our junior hockey squad just won the U20 world championship, with the shallow pool of athletes in the country to choose from. Logic suggests that if just SOME of the millions of athletes playing other sports became hockey players instead, that competition and talent level would theoretically go WAY up. how could it not?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I agree the US is very much second tier. They are Germany in hockey. Guatemala however, is Lithuania.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Didn't watch either game today, but congrats to Team USA. Also, congrats to Team Sweden for almost making it all the way despite missing half your defence core and a top forward. As for all of the trash talking going back and forth, particularly the Americans trash talking the Canadians, just remember, as you guys so often like to point out, hockey is a global sport and any one of the top 5 teams is capable of beating another on any given night. We could very easily be back as a top team next year. I just hope that next time we come out on top, you'll take the trash talk back. Enjoy it while it lasts.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Didn't watch either game today, but congrats to Team USA. Also, congrats to Team Sweden for almost making it all the way despite missing half your defence core and a top forward. As for all of the trash talking going back and forth, particularly the Americans trash talking the Canadians, just remember, as you guys so often like to point out, hockey is a global sport and any one of the top 5 teams is capable of beating another on any given night. We could very easily be back as a top team next year. I just hope that next time we come out on top, you'll take the trash talk back. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I have no problem with that, a lot of what is causing it though, is we get trash talked when we just won as do the other nation. Don't pretend a lot of Canadian hockey fans wait around to do it with Gold Medals around your neck.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I'm not saying they are the second best just that the argument could be made; I think USA, Russia, and Sweden are all kind of on the same level at this point. I just disagreed with you saying that we should be a "dominant force" because we have the second largest number of players. Shouldn't we just be the second best then?

I should point out that I think Sweden is an incredibly impressive hockey nation considering their numbers. I love the way they play the game.
You picked out the "dominant force" in a lengthier comment (though it still stands in its context). I responded to...

"So the USA wins gold again in a sport we don't care about, pretty embarrassing for the rest of the world"

Now, considering the US has a HUGE amount of registered hockey players in a sport that the US DOES care about, what's that about ?.
America has hockey history and hell you even made a hollywood movie about the time you beat the soviets. That summarization is somewhat off. I fully understand that hockey cant stack up to American football or baseball but surely it isn't a sport that Americans don't care about

In closing, I have to admit that you guys have crept your way into the same boat as Sweden and Russia. It's getting crowded.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Go job America. Really deserved it.

Rock solid Defense and Goaltending.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:06 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
You didn't watch either game yet you feel the need to put your input in based on no visual support. Tooodles.
Why would I need to watch the game? I merely stopped by to wish a congratulations to USA and Sweden. You're probably the maddest person I've ever seen on these boards. Lighten up a little.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
WaltWhitman

Sweden was really awesome in this tournament.

Sweden and U.S. teams were very similar, if you think about it.

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Why would I need to watch the game? I merely stopped by to wish a congratulations to USA and Sweden. You're probably the maddest person I've ever seen on these boards. Lighten up a little.
I'm not angry! You confuse anger with speaking my mind. That is not what you did. You mentioned and made an excuse for Sweden RIGHT away. Then made a comment twords us American's for talking smack. You had no need to do either. If that was your main goal. You woulda said. "Congrats to USA and Sweden" and kept it simple.

Watching the game would have given you a perspective on how the USA really controlled the game we might have been able to take them full squad vs full squad.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
These arguments never amount to much. The US has 300 million people, all of whom played soccer as a kid, and we still can't find 11 that are good enough to beat Guatemala regularly.
I am not making the argument that you should win by a blowout. What I am saying is that you have half a million players and that beating the opposition such as Russia and Sweden by 4-5 times is a healthy number.

That's a far cry from saying China should win the world cup for a variety of reasons. US actually care about hockey, US is a "normal" country where people don't have to work out in the fields in order to survive etc.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote