HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Only Jones, Trouba and Ginson would have. There is no way McCabe and Connor Murphy would have, regardless of how well they played this tournement.
Guess you didn't watch the Tournament. Team Canada's Defense was a train wreck while the Americans was rock solid.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
The European Union team will be the dominant team in world hockey.

As for China, they won't be a hockey superpower anytime soon. Basketball and soccer are their 2 most popular team sports.

In soccer, China has never even qualified for the World Cup, except for the year it was held in Asia (when there were 2 extra spots for Asian countries since Japan and Korea qualified automatically).

In basketball, China has never finished higher than 8th in a major international tournament. They can't even beat Greece (a country with 1% of its own population) right now, let alone the USA.

Even if the Chinese were to get into hockey, it'll be a long, long time before they're actually good enough to beat the Canadians, Americans, Swedes, Czechs, or Russians (provided the pros are still playing in the Olympics).

Also, witness the impressive performance of Lithuania in international basketball. Despite having a population of just 2 million, they have consistently been a top-10 country in the world. In the 10 major international tournaments since they got their independence, they have finished in the top four 6 times, and in the top eight 9 times. And they just won a World Junior tournament in 2011. Clearly shows that a small country devoted to a sport can triumph over countries many times their size. The likes of Canada and Sweden aren't going anywhere even if the Americans have by far the larger population.

Last edited by Hammer Time: 01-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Tom Servo
Space Truckin'

vCash: 280
It's very simple, USA had the best team, not the team with the best talent but just the best team.

Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Guess you didn't watch the Tournament. Team Canada's Defense was a train wreck while the Americans was rock solid.
Did you read the second part of my post? A guy like McCabe probably wouldn't have even been in Canadian camp, and Murphy would have been akin to Derrick Pouliot or Ryan Sproul. Canada realistically only had two spots open and if Jones and Trouba were Canadian, it's possible only one of them made the team.

Hindsight is 20-20, McCabe and Murphy had great tournements but there's no chance they would have made the Canadian team if we ignore tournement performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think there were too many people who expected Puempel to even be a candidate for this team. I got the impression from quick-reading the BM article that he was more suggesting it would have helped to carry a few extra players a little longer as part of the selection process, as a few teams did, rather than narrow down quickly from the selection camp wrap-up, as the standing tradition/policy is. Not that there was really any issue with the players chosen specifically. Just it would have given more flexibility, for example in the case of the suspension, or with injuries, without having to fly somebody new in who had already been "cut" (see McNeil vs. Hudon). Not as an issue for criticizing Canada's past process either, just as a hint at something to look forward in evolving the process for the future.

Mostly the BM article just pointed out the fallacies of those criticizing/hindsighting the various fall-guys in the 4th place finish. I didn't read at all that he was saying anything negative against any aspect of this team, its selection, coaching, players, or about any other teams in the tournament. Just pointing out that Team Canada fans are basically silly to overreact in any of the standard ways we've already seen. Politely. We *are* assclowns as WJC Team Canada fans, collectively, generally, basically.
Puempel was hurt and Spott said he didn't want to give him a spot when he probably wouldn't have been able to play (He wouldn't have been able to).

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Canada's goaltending and coaching sucked. What else is there to discuss? I don't think any other country is obnoxious enough to claim they had better forwards/defense.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
It's a fair article. I do put more blame on Spott that he does because I felt he was lacking in key areas, at least as far as the tourney was concerned, but I do agree with the sentiment.

Oh, and to the european posters who ***** about the article, let's make one thing clear: it was not that we lost and didn't medal that made me take notice: it was the fact that come medal time, Canada looked like absolute garbage. The Americans had a great team, but you can't tell me that they are 5-1 better than us. They may have won because they were the better team, in the overall meaning of the word, but for them to beat ANY powerhouse by that much suggests the opposing team underperformed badly. Canada has not lost to a team like that in god knows when, in a game where they looked closer to Latvia than Russia. It was a fair loss, but the manner in which the players played was concerning.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
These were My basic thoughts yesterday, glad Bobby Mac put it in perspective, this game goes in cycles. Canada will always produce more NHL hockey players than all countries combined. There is more parity in the World, that is good for the game. Glad he also pointed fault at key returning players. Hamilton, Harrington, Strome, Jenner, Huberdeau, ect...and not just Murphy. Collective failure from coaching to players. Canada lost this year, but chances are good we will be on top again are very good if history is any indication.
For the record, he's still wrong for criticizing Harrington on the Americans 1st goal. He got clipped behind the knee by McCabe, got up, found his mark (Kuraly), and refused to puck-chase when it went behind the net and then kicked out to McCabe. Watch the play and see. He was exactly where he was supposed to be, even though there was a lot of players aimlessly standing around screening Subban.

It just fits McKenzie's narrative of blaming everyone, top-to-bottom.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
For the record, he's still wrong for criticizing Harrington on the Americans 1st goal. He got clipped behind the knee by McCabe, got up, found his mark (Kuraly), and refused to puck-chase when it went behind the net and then kicked out to McCabe. Watch the play and see. He was exactly where he was supposed to be, even though there was a lot of players aimlessly standing around screening Subban.

It just fits McKenzie's narrative of blaming everyone, top-to-bottom.
As much as McKenzie is a good analyst, he also has to be politically correct. That's the only thing I do take issue with his articles.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
pbgoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
A 6-7 game tourny does not decide which team is better...

But it does decide who is champion

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklas Beaststrom View Post
Here in Sweden our overall mentality of our teams effort this year is basically:
"We came 2nd this year by being beaten by a superior team. We put in a valiant effort, but the opposition was simply better". You could never even begin to imagine those kinds of words being uttered by a Canadian. I think that's where the biggest gripe against Hockey Canada resides.
Nice generalization. Keep stoking the fire.

The majority of Canadians believe that if Canada does not have their A players playing their A game, they aren't going to win.

Questioning whether they had their A team or why they didn't play their A game is the mentality that gets us gold.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:29 PM
timekeep

Sorry double post
\ /
\ /

Last edited by timekeep: 01-06-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: double post
timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think there were too many people who expected Puempel to even be a candidate for this team. I got the impression from quick-reading the BM article that he was more suggesting it would have helped to carry a few extra players a little longer as part of the selection process, as a few teams did, rather than narrow down quickly from the selection camp wrap-up, as the standing tradition/policy is. Not that there was really any issue with the players chosen specifically. Just it would have given more flexibility, for example in the case of the suspension, or with injuries, without having to fly somebody new in who had already been "cut" (see McNeil vs. Hudon). Not as an issue for criticizing Canada's past process either, just as a hint at something to look forward in evolving the process for the future.

Mostly the BM article just pointed out the fallacies of those criticizing/hindsighting the various fall-guys in the 4th place finish. I didn't read at all that he was saying anything negative against any aspect of this team, its selection, coaching, players, or about any other teams in the tournament. Just pointing out that Team Canada fans are basically silly to overreact in any of the standard ways we've already seen. Politely. We *are* assclowns as WJC Team Canada fans, collectively, generally, basically.
This is the way I read as well, more a shot at Canadian fans to chill out.

Unfortunately Bob makes a lot of money off of this tournament and he over hypes these players and puts them on a pedestal. Its like you have to read inbetween the lines of this article to hear him say that this is just a tournament that any 4-5 nations can win and there have been some special/fluky things happen since Eberle scored because of an icing.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
black charger

The media hype and gold medal or nothing attitude is what has hurt these kids.Guys like Bob and his buddies at TSN treat this tournament like it was the discovery of life on another planet.From day one of the tournament TSN has eight hours a day of coverage.These kids need to be left alone to play hockey instead of being treated like rock stars.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
tl,dr.
Yet you've posted in this thread 3 times....

A very level headed article from Bob, I recommend anyone spouting off about him not giving any credit to the other teams, kindly remove their heads from their ass and give it a re-read.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
The anti-Canada vibe on this board can be nauseating at times.
"If Canada sent 3 teams, would they win gold, silver, and bronze?"

Yeah, no idea where that vibe comes from at all!

PensBeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
The media hype and gold medal or nothing attitude is what has hurt these kids.Guys like Bob and his buddies at TSN treat this tournament like it was the discovery of life on another planet.From day one of the tournament TSN has eight hours a day of coverage.These kids need to be left alone to play hockey instead of being treated like rock stars.
Somehow, I doubt TSN is giving viewers any more coverage than they want. If they were, it would be reflected in the ratings and they would put on something more profitable.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Somehow, I doubt TSN is giving viewers any more coverage than they want. If they were, it would be reflected in the ratings and they would put on something more profitable.
Not too much sports action going on during a Weekday AM.I think there was one Canada game replayed 3 times,with a 1/2 hour of commentary for each.Nine hours coverage for any single game is going overboard.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Not too much sports action going on during a Weekday AM.I think there was one Canada game replayed 3 times,with a 1/2 hour of commentary for each.Nine hours coverage for any single game is going overboard.
Like I said, if they didn't get ratings, they'd stop showing it. TSN doesn't give that much exposure to something for ***** and giggles - they are a business operating to provide programming that gains viewers and consequently attracts ad money.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
"If Canada sent 3 teams, would they win gold, silver, and bronze?"

Yeah, no idea where that vibe comes from at all!
And many more examples but you picked the best

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I am not sure why all the hate.

All things being equal, everyone on here from every nation should easily be able to agree that on any given year, Canada is in a position to compete for the gold medal.

The fact that they have so epically failed in the last few years (and especially the last two) means that there is something wrong that needs fixing.

This does not detract from the great tournaments or preparation that other teams are doing. In fact, it suggests Canada is NOT matching other nations with those aspects right now.

Some of you guys just come on here looking for trouble, honestly.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
Unless Canada wins, right?
I agree that it does decide who has the best team.

It in no way decides which nation has the best depth.

But the winning team is the best team. The USA certainly had the best team this year from the goalie out. Very impressive squad, and made the Canadian team look weak by comparison.

But I would still take our best 500 junior players over the USA's or anyone else's.

The best player in the NBA for a few seasons was Canadian. But in terms of depth, I don't think our 50th best player would look very good against the 50 the best American player.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

This thread seems to joined with multiple others...

Anyway, some more #2013WJC posts at THW:

John Gibson Golden as Team USA Wins 2013 World Junior Championship
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/john-gib...-championship/

WJHC: Team USA An All-Around Talent Showcase
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/wjhc-tea...lent-showcase/

2013 WJCs: Individual Winners and Losers
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-wjc...rs-and-losers/

Highs and Lows for Boston Bruins Prospects at the World Juniors
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/highs-an...world-juniors/

World Juniors 2013: Florida Panthers Prospects Grades
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/world-ju...spects-grades/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
The U18 tournament really shouldn't count for much as it is not a level playing field.
Then neither should the Ivan Hlinka. Even more of an unlevel playing field. Canada's best is playing mostly B teams yet Hockey Canada seems to think we gain something from it.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
It's a fair article. I do put more blame on Spott that he does because I felt he was lacking in key areas, at least as far as the tourney was concerned, but I do agree with the sentiment.

Oh, and to the european posters who ***** about the article, let's make one thing clear: it was not that we lost and didn't medal that made me take notice: it was the fact that come medal time, Canada looked like absolute garbage. The Americans had a great team, but you can't tell me that they are 5-1 better than us. They may have won because they were the better team, in the overall meaning of the word, but for them to beat ANY powerhouse by that much suggests the opposing team underperformed badly. Canada has not lost to a team like that in god knows when, in a game where they looked closer to Latvia than Russia. It was a fair loss, but the manner in which the players played was concerning.
Absolutely correct.
Any true fan gives credit to the Amerks for playing their A plus game. WHat every true Canadian fan wants or needs to know is why only one team showed up.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
canuck2010

I don't count the Ivan Hlinka for very much at all. Other than Hockey Canada who does?

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote