HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jack Campbell vs John Gibson

View Poll Results: Campbell vs Gibson
Jack Campbell 16 20.51%
John Gibson 62 79.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

vCash: 500
Jack Campbell vs John Gibson

Who will be better?

Jack Campbell

or

John Gibson

Old
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Dr Quincy

I know people are going to say it's just short attention span and going off what has happened last, but I was as high on Campbell as anyone on HF. I just don't think he's played well since his WJC exploits. Still love him and have high hopes for him, but I like Gibson's games outside of the WJC more than Campbell's.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:36 AM
TrillMike

Voting Jack because everyone is Gibson crazy at the moment.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Gibson because he is better not because he is more recent.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Satan
we got bad blood

vCash: 69
This is going to be a very bias sample.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Kershaw

Campbell's stats since the WJC have been garbage. However goalies are crapshoot anyways.

Gibson because he hasn't struggled to the extent Campbell did.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Aucoin11*

Two crappy wjc goalies who will both bust. What's the point in picking? Who will be a more elite NHL backup?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Two crappy wjc goalies who will both bust. What's the point in picking? Who will be a more elite NHL backup?
Look at Gibson's OHL stats.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Is that really your proof for him not busting in the future?

Old
01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
ponder

Gibson has been better than Campbell in the OHL, and I'd say this WJC performance was even a bit better than Campbell's in 2011. I do think Campbell is better than his awful AHL and OHL stats would suggest, but I still wouldn't take him over Gibson. Gibson does remind me a lot of Schneider.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Don't shift the goal posts. You called him a crappy goalie who will bust yet his stats are good and there is no indication of him busting.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Don't shift the goal posts. You called him a crappy goalie who will bust yet his stats are good and there is no indication of him busting.
Exactly, where is the proof that he WILL bust?

Old
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
There is so much more to judging a goalie, or any hockey player for that matter, than stats. That is my basis. I don't just stare at numbers when evaluating hockey players. This isn't baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Gibson has been better than Campbell in the OHL, and I'd say this WJC performance was even a bit better than Campbell's in 2011. I do think Campbell is better than his awful AHL and OHL stats would suggest, but I still wouldn't take him over Gibson. Gibson does remind me a lot of Schneider.
Gibson and schneider have a stunningly low amount in common.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Since when have OHL stats consistently proven to translate to NHL success? Or even AHL stats, for that matter?

Old
01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
grahamgill31450

vCash: 490
Campbell's good - really good - but after seeing Gibson at the WJC, I've gotta go with him

Old
01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
It's a heck of a lot more proof than you have that he will be a bust.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Either way, the rest of the Pacific has a lot to look forward to.

01-05-2013, 07:08 PM
bp spec

Gibson

Old
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
There is so much more to judging a goalie, or any hockey player for that matter, than stats. That is my basis. I don't just stare at numbers when evaluating hockey players. This isn't baseball.
Well then why don't you share some of these reasons instead of continually making blanket statements...

Old
01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Well then why don't you share some of these reasons instead of continually making blanket statements...
Not impressed with rebound control or skating ability. He is constantly falling on his bum and makes everything look far more complicated than it needs to be.

In both elimination games USA controlled play and clearly deserved to win both, gibson's work load was extremely minor and for the most part the defense helped him out an enormous amount and made his lackluster rebound control irrelevant. Similar to holtby last year in the playoffs.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
There is so much more to judging a goalie, or any hockey player for that matter, than stats.
How right you are on that. Thankfully, Gibson's very play, completely apart from his phenomal stats, make him the outstanding goaltending prospect he is. He's playing tremenously, and has a tremendous skillset that is very uncommon for any goalie his age, and it's a great basis to move on to the next level of play. Like with any prospect in the game, there's no guarantees, but if you don't see his quality, you have no idea about the position, whatsoever.

Quote:
In both elimination games USA controlled play and clearly deserved to win both, gibson's work load was extremely minor and for the most part the defense helped him out an enormous amount and made his lackluster rebound control irrelevant.
Talking complete nonsense. His rebound control was not remotely worthy of the slightest criticism. His overall play was outstanding, and making such saves when your own team controlls the play is actually more difficult than making saves when your team is under pressure right from the opening face off. Every goalie knows that, and it's quite impressive and speaks volumes about Gibson's mental fortitude that he always remained as sharp as he was, even when the wasn't facing as much action. That's a premier trait of a quality netminder.

Quote:
He is constantly falling on his bum and makes everything look far more complicated than it needs to be.
And, by the way, that statement is simply a joke. He generally makes things look pretty easy. When things are not, he gives himself the best shot to make a save, which lead to his save percentage. Nobody cares if it makes you feel it looks tough - it unquestionably looked as succesful as it was. (And I thought your criticism of Rinne was absurd...)

Old
01-06-2013, 12:08 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Since when have OHL stats consistently proven to translate to NHL success? Or even AHL stats, for that matter?
I'm willing to bet that good OHL stats have a higher correlation with NHL success than poor OHL stats.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Gibson, without a doubt.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
How right you are on that. Thankfully, Gibson's very play, completely apart from his phenomal stats, make him the outstanding goaltending prospect he is. He's playing tremenously, and has a tremendous skillset that is very uncommon for any goalie his age, and it's a great basis to move on to the next level of play. Like with any prospect in the game, there's no guarantees, but if you don't see his quality, you have no idea about the position, whatsoever.

Talking complete nonsense. His rebound control was not remotely worthy of the slightest criticism. His overall play was outstanding, and making such saves when your own team controlls the play is actually more difficult than making saves when your team is under pressure right from the opening face off. Every goalie knows that, and it's quite impressive and speaks volumes about Gibson's mental fortitude that he always remained as sharp as he was, even when the wasn't facing as much action. That's a premier trait of a quality netminder.

And, by the way, that statement is simply a joke. He generally makes things look pretty easy. When things are not, he gives himself the best shot to make a save, which lead to his save percentage. Nobody cares if it makes you feel it looks tough - it unquestionably looked as succesful as it was. (And I thought your criticism of Rinne was absurd...)
You don't know anything about goaltending.

His rebound control was all over the place, if you can't see it I suggest a new prescription. Making "big saves" when you're supposed to win a game isn't as hard as stealing a game. Do you also think brodeur deserved the conn smythe over giguere the year the devils won the cup? Because facing 20 shots a game and one or two "big chances" was harder than what giguere did?

You're also judging a player's mental fortitude as a definitive trait at age 19. You should probably reconsider such a line of thinking.

No he doesn't make things look easy. If you knew anything about goaltending, which you don't, you would realize he makes everything look more complicated than it needs to be. You also think rinne doesn't lose his net a lot and thusly has great positioning. You can call what I say absurd, but it is factual. Remember when you and several others quoted great positioning by showing saves of rinne diving at the puck after being out of position? That is absurd. Remember when you said winning a game you are supposed is harder than stealing a game? That is absurd.

And yes it matters how you make saves, because that is how you find out what translates to the next level. How else do you think scouts learn about players and pick who is going to be great at the next level? Do you think simon gamache, keith aucoin, and alexandre giroux were unfairly treated because despite how bad it looked at the AHL level they put up points? What about JP vigier, yannick lehoux, and the unending list of benders at lower levels who weren't good enough to make the NHL for visible reasons despite putting up an extreme amount of points.

If you want goalie examples, how about you look at any top statistic goalie list in the AHL for the past 30 years and examine how many of those elite stat guys aren't good enough to be good in the NHL. Travis Scott, Jason Labarbera, Al Montoya, Curtis McElhinney, Nathan Lawson, Nolan Schaefer, and the list goes on and on and on and on. Of course i'm sure you'll retort and say this argument is absurd even though it is based in reality. Are you also going to run around banging the tebow all he does is win drum?

Last edited by piqued: 01-06-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
01-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
You don't know anything about goaltending.

His rebound control was all over the place, if you can't see it I suggest a new prescription. Making "big saves" when you're supposed to win a game isn't as hard as stealing a game. Do you also think brodeur deserved the conn smythe over giguere the year the devils won the cup? Because facing 20 shots a game and one or two "big chances" was harder than what giguere did?

You're also judging a player's mental fortitude as a definitive trait at age 19. You should probably reconsider such a line of thinking.

No he doesn't make things look easy. If you knew anything about goaltending, which you don't, you would realize he makes everything look more complicated than it needs to be. You also think rinne doesn't lose his net a lot and thusly has great positioning. You can call what I say absurd, but it is factual. Remember when you and several others quoted great positioning by showing saves of rinne diving at the puck after being out of position? That is absurd. Remember when you said winning a game you are supposed is harder than stealing a game? That is absurd.

And yes it matters how you make saves, because that is how you find out what translates to the next level. How else do you think scouts learn about players and pick who is going to be great at the next level? Do you think simon gamache, keith aucoin, and alexandre giroux were unfairly treated because despite how bad it looked at the AHL level they put up points? What about JP vigier, yannick lehoux, and the unending list of benders at lower levels who weren't good enough to make the NHL for visible reasons despite putting up an extreme amount of points.

If you want goalie examples, how about you look at any top statistic goalie list in the AHL for the past 30 years and examine how many of those elite stat guys aren't good enough to be good in the NHL. Travis Scott, Jason Labarbera, Al Montoya, Curtis McElhinney, Nathan Lawson, Nolan Schaefer, and the list goes on and on and on and on. Of course i'm sure you'll retort and say this argument is absurd even though it is based in reality. Are you also going to run around banging the tebow all he does is win drum?
He faced 34 shots against Canada and 27 shots against Sweden so the comparison you are attempting to make does not make sense. He was the reason the RR games against Canada and Russia were 2-1 and his play was tremendous throughout the tournament.

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-06-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: not needed
Closed Thread