HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Roman Josi (2008, 38th overall, Nashville)

Old
06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
LD Roman Josi (2008, 38th overall, Nashville)

Has anyone seen this kid play? I have read a bunch of good things about him but seeing them on the ice always better than a write up. Thanks in advance.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:38 PM
august

Roman Josi

How does he compare to the other Nasville defensement like Blum, Ellis, Roussel?
How would you rank them?

Thanks.

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Karlssonlee

Blum
Josi
Roussel
Ellis

Not a fan of Ellis, has shown much improvement in his skating or strength to suggest he would be anything more than a pp-qb. He's a tough kid and has good hockey sense, but I don't expect him to be anything more than a #4 with pp abilities.

Josi, very impressive. Great skater, good poise and reads the game
Well. He will be a solid # 3 IMO. Looks like he could be a Jordan Leopold with better offensive instinct.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Josi
Ellis
Blum

COR

Ellis is going to be incredible, but is a few years away. Blum is NHL ready, but his ceiling is just not that high IMO (hope he proves me wrong). Josi is half way in between these two in terms of development, and he has earned his hype the hard way. Blum and Ellis have been hyped since day 1, but Josi came out of nowhere, making me believe he is something special. Oliver-Roussel probably shouldn't be mentioned with those three. He is a good prospect, but isn't in the same area code at this point.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:18 AM
predfan24

From everything I've seen and heard Karlsson Lee's view on Josi is pretty spot on. I think he has top pair potential. Great skater, Great shot, loves rushing the puck, understand the game well. Needs to adjust to the NA game though and pick his spots better to jump up in the play. From when I've seen him in the WJC's he reminded me of Mike Green the way he can skate with the puck and handle the puck.

Blum has great potential as a 2 way player. Good skater, good first pass, smart offensively, good low hard shot. Milwaukee fans say he isn't ready for the jump though and he has been slightly disappointing I think with his progress. I think a lot of fans thought he would be with the big club by now.

Ellis is pretty black and white. He's been in the spotlight a ton and most people know what he is about now. Could be the best out of this group or could be the worst. Only time will tell and I can't wait to see how he does in the AHL next year. Super high potential though.

Rousell has seemingly been a disappointment. High praise was heaped upon him when he was drafted in the 2nd round. He said he patterned his game after Shea Weber and he has size. Naturally fans got excited. It seems he is regressing statistically every year in the Q though.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:33 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Blum
Josi
Roussel
Ellis

Not a fan of Ellis, has shown much improvement in his skating or strength to suggest he would be anything more than a pp-qb. He's a tough kid and has good hockey sense, but I don't expect him to be anything more than a #4 with pp abilities.

Josi, very impressive. Great skater, good poise and reads the game
Well. He will be a solid # 3 IMO. Looks like he could be a Jordan Leopold with better offensive instinct.
This. I'm not a fan of Ellis either. And the way the Preds have drafted their defense, I dont think there will be room for Ellis.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:59 PM
FormerBruinsFan

Roman Josi

Sounds like Roman Josi has been called up by the Predators. He should have made the team out of camp but got his 3rd concussion of his young career. If he can stay healthy, this is a very underrated prospect. I could see him come in and join the 2nd pairing before long and get some powerplay time. Have many people seen him play and what are your expections?

FormerBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Karlssonlee

This kid is a stud.

He's very underrated. He's a tremendous skater with great mobility. He does many things well. He can either carry the puck out of the zone himself or use his great outlet pass. He's also fairly aggressive when he wants to be.

Big fan of his. I think he'll turn into a #3 defender with the chance of becoming a #2.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:19 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Has everything to become a very good NHL defender, but when I saw him play in Bern he often skated with his head down and it's no wonder he has three concussions already. He has to stop that when he wants to survive in the NHL. Other than that he is a great talent. Great Skater, great mobility, can carry the puck, good passer.

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
Has everything to become a very good NHL defender, but when I saw him play in Bern he often skated with his head down and it's no wonder he has three concussions already. He has to stop that when he wants to survive in the NHL. Other than that he is a great talent. Great Skater, great mobility, can carry the puck, good passer.
totally agree, I've mentioned his weaknesses in here before he crossed the pond. he had to take this huge hit to the head by Shawn Heins back in switzerland (totally his fault IMO) and was at least 2 times lucky at the following WC with some uncommon moves out of the defensive zone, when he put himself in awkwardly vulnerable positions. and his last injuries in NA do not indicate that he has totally overcome his weaknesses.

on the other hand, his strenghts (the one's you've mentioned above) were already obvious at that WC.

compared to Mark Streit at the same age, he was at least one step above.

and compared to Luca Sbisa, who's from the same age-class. When we consider only the skill-level and ignore the physical presence, he's 2 steps above IMO (though maybe not all off my fellow countrymen will agree with this.)

While I haven't seen much off him since he crossed the pond, I guess his strengh/weakness pattern shouldn't have changed too much.

He is a very smart player as well. Back in Switzerland he wasn't a very physical player, but won a lot of defensive battles thanks to his smarts... (not unlike Nicklas Lidstrom)

IMO, he's in the group of most talented swiss player I've seen play (together with Streit, R. Von Arx and D.Brunner) and will end up at least as a NR.2 D (when he can bear the physical challenges)

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Soundgarden

Many have said that he was better then Blum, who's already been impressive, and that he was going to get the call-up last year, before an injury. Hopefully he's just unlucky.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:00 AM
swisdan

Roman Josi

I read some pretty good thing about this guy. I have only seen few Preds game but it seems to be ready for the NHL. Some Nashville fans say he 's becoming the number one in prospects chart, above Blum or Ellis. So the number 1 prospect in that organisation. But what is the ceiling for Roman Josi?

I assume he deserves more that 7.0B http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/roman_josi

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:47 AM
TheZec

Yeah, I love this prospe t too. I'like to hear more about him from people that watch him play.

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
Yeah, I love this prospe t too. I'like to hear more about him from people that watch him play.
so you love this prospect but youhaven't watched him play?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
so you love this prospect but youhaven't watched him play?
I watched him when he was still playing in Switzerland, where he was just outstanding. Now I'd like to hear some updates!

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

He reminds everyone, from fans to coaches, so much of Ryan Suter when he broke into the league that it's eerie.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:24 PM
MSL26
Future Hall-of-Famer

Josi has the look/projection of a solid no. 3 d-man.

MSL26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Josi has the look/projection of a solid no. 3 d-man.
I think on a team without both of Suter and weber, he could be a first pairing guy. His tools encompass both ends of the ice and everywhere in between.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Currently, he's an awesome top 4 defenseman prone to a few rookie mistakes along with some outstanding plays. Give him a few years, and he can be an awesome two way defenseman as either one of the best #3 defenseman in the game or a solid #2 on most teams. Heck, he could even be a #1, though i dont see that as the likely outcome.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that it'll be like Suter never left with this kid paired with Weber?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Am I the only one who gets the feeling that it'll be like Suter never left with this kid paired with Weber?
I don't think he will have that sort of impact immediately, but I do think he will be every bit as good as Suter was on Weber's pairing. He looked more than capable on the second pairing last year. He also has a higher offensive upside than Suter.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 03:18 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't think he will have that sort of impact immediately, but I do think he will be every bit as good as Suter was on Weber's pairing. He looked more than capable on the second pairing last year. He also has a higher offensive upside than Suter.
Really?

What kind of tools does he possess that gives him better upside?

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Averaging 26+min/game. How has he looked?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Averaging 26+min/game. How has he looked?
Very good. You won't get Weber\Suter chemistry overnight, but I think in the long run, this is going to be a very good pairing.