HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2015 Draft no longer as deep as anticipated?

Old
12-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Schwarzenegger

vCash: 500
2015 Draft no longer as deep as anticipated?

The more I hear is that this is becoming the case. Here is a recent quote by Future Considerations
Quote:
WHERE DID ALL THE DEPTH GO?

With our scouts getting multiple viewings on all ranked talent available by this time of year and with emails flying back and forth with regards to the Future Considerations’ December ranking, the depth of this draft class had to be re-evaluated.

The conclusion we came up with is that there does not look to be as much mid-to-late round talent to get excited about in the WHL, Sweden or USHL as we first thought. While we are still fired up about the top end guys in those leagues, our eyes in the rinks have been disappointed by more than a handful of once promising mid-level prospects.

Overall, there are more who are falling than those who are pushing their way up the board causing the 2015 NHL Draft to get downgraded a little from our initial view of this draft having amazing depth to now just looking slightly above average in that department.

Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

That's been the case the last few drafts, while 2010 was supposedly weak and turned out the best first round since 2003.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Its always really hard to say at this point. I find it foolish to get excited about mid to late rounders as the successes are usually projects.

The draft does look to have good second and third rounds and that is depth you can see.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:33 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
The more I hear is that this is becoming the case. Here is a recent quote by Future Considerations

"Overall, there are more who are falling than those who are pushing their way up the board causing the 2015 NHL Draft to get downgraded a little from our initial view of this draft having amazing depth to now just looking slightly above average in that department."
I said exactly this a month ago and I was handed my hat. I said players were having poor seasons and barely falling and that showed a lack of depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
That's been the case the last few drafts, while 2010 was supposedly weak and turned out the best first round since 2003.
I disagree. I remember 2010 was suppose to be the best draft since 2003 and, in hindsight, turned out to be average +.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Hard to say for me, considering I don't travel the world to watch all the prospects.

But, strictly from a WHL perspective I think the depth is very good. Better than in recent years. While the WHL lacks high-end talent (I don't think there is a WHL guy worth a top 10 pick this year), there are definitely 40 guys who I would deem "draftable", which is more than what I could have said for recent years.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Scarecrow Boat

There were a couple of guys who were heavily overrated going into this draft year because people fixated on their stat lines, them dropping this year isn't all that shocking.

There's still a ton of depth in this draft, some people are just to blind to see it.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:44 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

"A recent quote by Future Considerations

Overall, there are more who are falling than those who are pushing their way up the board causing the 2015 NHL Draft to get downgraded a little from our initial view of this draft having amazing depth to now just looking slightly above average in that department."

Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
Hard to say for me, considering I don't travel the world to watch all the prospects.

But, strictly from a WHL perspective I think the depth is very good. Better than in recent years. While the WHL lacks high-end talent (I don't think there is a WHL guy worth a top 10 pick this year), there are definitely 40 guys who I would deem "draftable", which is more than what I could have said for recent years.
Actually, RS, it was your article (about Paul Bittner having a less than impressive start to his season) that got me looking into this. I kept thinking, if Bittner is not progressing yet he keeps finding his way to the (top of the) middle of many lists, what does it say about the talent depth of 2015?

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 12-22-2014 at 06:59 PM.
OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:59 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Its always really hard to say at this point. I find it foolish to get excited about mid to late rounders as the successes are usually projects.

The draft does look to have good second and third rounds and that is depth you can see.
For those who only care about the first round or two it may seem foolish to issues such statements but to the NHL teams who can invest millions in prospects taken in rounds two through seven I doubt they see this as foolish analysis.

The fact is guys like Tyler Soy, Alec Baer, Grayson Pawlenchuk, Jared Bethune, Matteo Gennaro, Terrell Draude, Keoni Texeira, Pavel Karnaukhov, Dmitry Osipov, etc., to focus on the WHL specifically, have disappointed and are now seen as less attractive mid-round prospects than we had originally hoped and thought.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
takehisheadoff

Quote:

I love reading your posts and you are usually bang on. But you don't think Barzal will be a top ten pick?

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanStewartFC View Post
For those who only care about the first round or two it may seem foolish to issues such statements but to the NHL teams who can invest millions in prospects taken in rounds two through seven I doubt they see this as foolish analysis.

The fact is guys like Tyler Soy, Alec Baer, Grayson Pawlenchuk, Jared Bethune, Matteo Gennaro, Terrell Draude, Keoni Texeira, Pavel Karnaukhov, Dmitry Osipov, etc., to focus on the WHL specifically, have disappointed and are now seen as less attractive mid-round prospects than we had originally hoped and thought.
Its more that latter picks are not good prospects, they are good gambles.

12-23-2014, 01:58 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

vCash: 416
It's still really deep. 2014 had a slightly below average top end, a really good 6-40 and a crap 41-200.

This year has a ridiculous top 8 or so, a solid 9-50 and then it just becomes average.

2013 is still the best combination of crazy top end and insane depth. I don't think we'll see a class quite like it for a while.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Gerbefied
Couture is rat!!!!1!

vCash: 321
Quote:

Barzal or Merkley?

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 02:25 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbefied View Post
Barzal or Merkley?
Provorov.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Nullus Reverentia

This always happens? As long as I've been following the draft, 7-14 months before the draft is the hottest time. Around November/December before the draft, people start to criticize it's depth. Happens every year.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2014, 02:33 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
This always happens? As long as I've been following the draft, 7-14 months before the draft is the hottest time. Around November/December before the draft, people start to criticize it's depth. Happens every year.
I don't remember it happening in 2013, people were pretty high on that draft, at least at the top.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 02:01 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Hard to compare any change within months without real data. I don't agree with exclamations before the season starts, and certainly can't agree with downshifting at the mid year point.

An easier gauge is against the previous draft. My board for 2015 is much, much deeper through 60 already and I like the names through at least 4 rounds as of now.

The third round saw toolsy guys slot who I was not high on as pro players, whereas rounds 3 and 4 still have positive, pro upside guys IMO. That alone pushes the depth down the chain to where the late rounds see better prospects.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 09:56 AM
VictoriaJetsFan

I started a couple of threeads earler in the year about the the 2015 draft and questioned if it was overrated.

The high end is outstanding. I think though, there appears to be a large drop off after the top 10.

So man of the center's were supposed to be high end locks for the number 1 type NHL center don't appear to be that.

Guys like
Barzal. Konecny, Zacha have been sub par.

As for later rounds, I don't know how anyone can speculate with any certainty how 2nd round picks or lower will turn out.

That said, overall it is not looking as good as 2013.

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
Provorov.
If he was Canadian he would be a top 10 pick.

Sad but true.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Mortgage Broker

vCash: 540
The first 20 guys in the this draft are promising but its not a draft like the 2013 draft.

Mortgage Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 10:47 AM
hizzoner

A lot of excitement about Rasmus Andersson--comes to OHL as a rookie-puts up 7 goals and 24 assists in 32 games and his rating plunges. At 6"200lbs. or so.......

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 10:59 AM
WaltWhitman

Well it all starts with Americans hyping up Jack Eichel at number 2.

(Frickin Americans always hyping up NHL prospects on every channel. I'm so sick of it.)

Last edited by WaltWhitman: 12-25-2014 at 11:05 AM.
WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 11:13 AM
bleedgreen

So it seems they're saying the 3-5 rounds don't look deep? I guess I've never cared since those guys are always long term anyways.

First round looks fun, and that's really the only distinguishing factor in the draft to most anyways.

All I'm seeing here is that it's being predicted to be a relatively normal draft. Get pumped about the first round, sit around and wait a few years for the rest. Top ten teams are getting good players.

I rarely get excited about anymore than that anyways.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 11:19 AM
JimboA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
A lot of excitement about Rasmus Andersson--comes to OHL as a rookie-puts up 7 goals and 24 assists in 32 games and his rating plunges. At 6"200lbs. or so.......
Wow, I had no idea that he had put up 31 points in 32 games. Because if I remember correctly he had a pretty slow start, no? Good to see nonetheless.

JimboA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Biancosaurus

Drafts usually get over hyped by fans.

Biancosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
I don't remember it happening in 2013, people were pretty high on that draft, at least at the top.
Depth wise people hit that draft pretty hard going into late 2012 and into early 2013.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote